Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Captain Hygiene posted:

Sure, this was just curiousity on how it worked out mathematically. I made a similar argument earlier today about turnip prices, a stack of 10 turnips is worth unfathomably more than 10 fruits but I'm still gonna chow down on a stack of em when I want to power through rocks or trees because I hate eating fruits one by one.

Assuming 70% of trees cap at 3 x 10k, and 30% of trees return three times the input, on average:

10k -> 30k
20k -> 29k
30k -> 48k
40k -> 57k
50k -> 66k
60k -> 75k
70k -> 84k
80k -> 93k
90k -> 102k
99k -> 110.1k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellmeistr
Jul 2, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This is news to me. I also just discovered that samurai armor clanks as I run. :allears:

Edit:

She gave me different items for floor and walls. Is it not actually set or did I do it wrong?

Sorry, I thought her mystery items were the same for everyone. Is that not the case?

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
For money trees plant 30k; worse case you break even; best case you make 90k

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

So Math posted:

Assuming 70% of trees cap at 3 x 10k, and 30% of trees return three times the input, on average:

10k -> 30k
20k -> 29k
30k -> 48k
40k -> 57k
50k -> 66k
60k -> 75k
70k -> 84k
80k -> 93k
90k -> 102k
99k -> 110.1k

a) Solid username/post combo
b) I think that's what I got, you're getting a bigger payout with the big bets, but the end profit is smaller, which adds up pretty fast if you're doing it every day.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Opening my town for an hour or so. Put a bunch of stuff (fossils, DIY recipes, etc.) on either side of the grass next to the airport. Help yourselves to fruit from the trees, too.

Turnip prices are poo poo.

Hot items at Nook's Cranny are a High-End Stereo and Paper Lantern.

Able Sisters have a kiwi dress, hockey mask, cowboy shirts and headbands

KK Slider's doing a concert because it's my birthday I guess.

Gayle is making a bamboo floor lamp at the rear top of the island.

I'll be AFK, but have fun.

Dodo code is CLOSED

SilentChaz fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 17, 2020

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Captain Hygiene posted:

Sure, this was just curiousity on how it worked out mathematically. I made a similar argument earlier today about turnip prices, a stack of 10 turnips is worth unfathomably more than 10 fruits but I'm still gonna chow down on a stack of em when I want to power through rocks or trees because I hate eating fruits one by one.

It's not that different. a turnips is worth ~500 to sell, same as a fruit.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Seiyal posted:

Opening up my island because Saharah is selling lava floors. If you've ever wanted your floors to truly be lava, today is your lucky day.

Otherwise, my town is not very good but feel free to take any fruit that you might need etc. Any decorating ideas are appreciated.

Dodo Code: 3D6J5

Visited and blessed.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Power chowing on turnips is amazing. Especially since I bought myself a couple stacks of them just for that purpose, still thinking like it would take away a whole stack when I ate them. Nope! Just takes away 1 from the stack since it's all x10. It's great for terraforming when your pockets are often full to the brim with trees and flowers and stuff. Don't wanna shake fruit trees if I can avoid it.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Used a turbo controller to farm star wishes for like an hour last night. (Turned turbo on A and just propped the controller on top of a book to hold it down)

I did at least 200 wishes in an hour. Today I got 16 star fragments and 4 Aries fragments out of it. They don’t seem to respawn very fast so you can’t just walk around and collect 200 of them.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.

LastGoodBoy posted:

Visited and blessed.

Happy to help and thank you for stopping by!

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Seiyal posted:

Opening up my island because Saharah is selling lava floors. If you've ever wanted your floors to truly be lava, today is your lucky day.

Otherwise, my town is not very good but feel free to take any fruit that you might need etc. Any decorating ideas are appreciated.

Dodo Code: 3D6J5

Came by with a spacesuit and helmet donation and got to show off the flashiest of my emojis for fun while waiting my turn. Thanks!

Bellmeistr
Jul 2, 2007

Bellmeistr posted:

Opening up my island for anyone interested. I put some extra recipes and fossils on the beach and Able has some awesome stuff like samurai helmets, mohawks, a baby chick outfit, and chinos.
Hot item: shell stool
Turnip price: crap

I also have Saharrah here with Magma walls and oasis flooring, which are both awesome.
Knight helment DIY from Rizzo as well.

Feel free to take some pears and leave roses or extra fossils you may have.

Dodo code: DGN8M

The Knight helmet DIY is still available if anyone wants in.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

JHVH-1 posted:

Used a turbo controller to farm star wishes for like an hour last night. (Turned turbo on A and just propped the controller on top of a book to hold it down)

I did at least 200 wishes in an hour. Today I got 16 star fragments and 4 Aries fragments out of it. They don’t seem to respawn very fast so you can’t just walk around and collect 200 of them.

A shame the yield on that isn't as high as it could be, but I loving love that you thought to apply such a classic lazy strategy to Animal Crossing. Like farming Mobies in Zelda 2, but for star fragments.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Adam from Bunhäus has turnips at 517 bells right now! Gates are open for the next little while or so. Tips are always welcome and I am currently looking for roses. Feel free to grab some oranges!

Mabel is here and we have steampunk goggles for sale today.

Code is FTMGH. See y'all soon!

E: I'm chilling near the entrance in mostly black.

Chieves fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 17, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dr. Stab posted:

It's not that different. a turnips is worth ~500 to sell, same as a fruit.

You're right, somehow I completely misremembered that. Even more incentive to chomp em down I guess.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

A Spider Covets posted:

Came by with a spacesuit and helmet donation and got to show off the flashiest of my emojis for fun while waiting my turn. Thanks!

That was super kind of you, thank you very much!

Seabhac
Sep 12, 2009
Surely you always bury 30k and you either get the money back or you get 90k as a nice surprise. Where's the bury 10k thing coming from?

Edit: didn't refresh and am replying to a conversation from ages ago sorry

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Chieves posted:

Bunhäus has turnips at 517 bells right now! Gates are open for the next little while or so. Tips are always welcome and I am currently looking for roses. Feel free to grab some oranges!

I'm on my way.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If you’re hardcore you plant 99k bells and on the day before it matures you chop it down, simultaneously giving a middle finger to both nature and capitalism.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Chieves posted:

Bunhäus has turnips at 517 bells right now! Gates are open for the next little while or so. Tips are always welcome and I am currently looking for roses. Feel free to grab some oranges!

I'm trying to get in! I need me that sweet 'nip money.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Bussamove posted:

I'm trying to get in! I need me that sweet 'nip money.

You made it!

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Bells are not dollars and I will not rest until this is understood by all

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I saw a video explaining the fertile money trees repeat in a pattern which may be different per island but can be determined through experimentation. The guy determined his pattern was 10k, 99k, 10k, 99k, 10k 10k 99k then repeating, and showed through time traveling this continues to repeat. Had a designated daily area to plant them in to keep track.
Don't know if it was bunk though

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Rodney has stopped teaching the Gold Wall DIY and now Baabara is teaching the Money Flooring DIY! - someone disconnected!

:homebrew: Come flex with your cash money! Follow the cushions for the most direct route to Baabara in the NE hills.

Check my prior post for store / Mabel stuff, or take a look-see for yourself.

I'm also going to be throwing a bunch of DIYs on the beach to the west of the Airport, so check those out on your way out! Thanks

https://turnip.exchange/island/170b4554 Someone disconnected!

Please don't shake my fruit trees - I'm trying to get them to sync up by type for harvesting. Also be kind to the flowers, naturally!

E: guys please don't leave the Turnip Exchange queue until you're on your plane flight back home - there should only be 4 visitors here at a time!

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 17, 2020

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

LODGE NORTH posted:

Bells are not dollars and I will not rest until this is understood by all

I can’t hear you over the wealth of chimes ringing in my pockets.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Chieves posted:

You made it!

I did! I don't have any nice things to leave but I left the gift of cash by the player houses. :v:

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy

Chieves posted:

Adam from Bunhäus has turnips at 517 bells right now! Gates are open for the next little while or so. Tips are always welcome and I am currently looking for roses. Feel free to grab some oranges!

Thanks for hosting, my new shades, boots, and bank account are fabulous!

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Bussamove posted:

I did! I don't have any nice things to leave but I left the gift of cash by the player houses. :v:

You sound like my relatives every Christmas. :v: Glad you could stop by!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Seabhac posted:

Surely you always bury 30k and you either get the money back or you get 90k as a nice surprise. Where's the bury 10k thing coming from?

Edit: didn't refresh and am replying to a conversation from ages ago sorry
If you bury 10k you get back 30k guaranteed. It's the lowest risk option.

If it's the best option overall depends on the chances. If the chances are low that you'll get more than 30k, you should just plant 10k every day. If the chances are high or even that you'll triple what you bury, then you should be planting 99k to maximize your profits.

If you plant 30k every day for 10 days and only get 90k 70% of the time (which are the numbers the wiki claims at least), you're making 60k for the three days you actually triple your investment rather than breaking even. Probably 180k. Maybe more maybe less. If you just bury 10k you're guaranteed 20k for all 10 days. 200k for sure.

If you plant 90k, you're losing 60k 7 days, but making 180k 3 days (on average). -420k + 540k = 120k. A lot less than the 200k you'd make in 10 days just planting 10k a day.

If the 70% chance of maxing out at 30k is true, then burying 10k is the clearly best path. I'd really like to see what the source for that is. If it's just someone doing a few tests, it's likely to be bullshit. If it's datamined somehow, then that's that. People have said 50% in the past, which would be a very different situation.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I saw a video explaining the fertile money trees repeat in a pattern which may be different per island but can be determined through experimentation. The guy determined his pattern was 10k, 99k, 10k, 99k, 10k 10k 99k then repeating, and showed through time traveling this continues to repeat. Had a designated daily area to plant them in to keep track.
Don't know if it was bunk though
Enough people have said it's bunk that I'm inclined to believe it's bunk. If it was true then it wouldn't be controversial because everyone would have seen the same thing by now.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 17, 2020

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Pierre McGuire posted:

Thanks! I was the wearing my finest cyberviking gear. Your island is lovely.

Thanks!!

I'm opening my town up again. Nook's is buying turnips for 583. I'm just going to post the code here because eh. If there's a comm error I'll reopen and edit this post.

2GN1F

Edit: Oh I'm keeping it open until nook's closes which is 9pm mountain.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Chieves posted:

Mabel is here and we have steampunk goggles for sale today.

oh my god thank you! This turnip exchange site is worthless, im in queues for literally hours and then communication errors always occur.

Speaking of, how does this random website have this data? is AC/Nintendo exposing some API for people, or is this all someone hacking their poo poo?

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Okay, my brother's gonna try to visit my island tonight (he hasn't played AC for very long) so I'm gonna close down the connection for now. Thanks to everyone for stopping by!

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Nuts and Gum posted:

oh my god thank you! This turnip exchange site is worthless, im in queues for literally hours and then communication errors always occur.

Speaking of, how does this random website have this data? is AC/Nintendo exposing some API for people, or is this all someone hacking their poo poo?

It works well for me when it's a small queue, and I never leave it running on my phone.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Eiba posted:

If you bury 10k you get back 30k guaranteed. It's the lowest risk option.

If it's the best option overall depends on the chances. If the chances are low that you'll get more than 30k, you should just plant 10k every day. If the chances are high or even that you'll triple what you bury, then you should be planting 99k to maximize your profits.

If you plant 30k every day for 10 days and only get 90k 70% of the time (which are the numbers the wiki claims at least), you're making 60k for the three days you actually triple your investment rather than breaking even. Probably 180k. Maybe more maybe less. If you just bury 10k you're guaranteed 20k for all 10 days. 200k for sure.

If you plant 90k, you're losing 60k 7 days, but making 180k 3 days (on average). -420k + 540k = 120k. A lot less than the 200k you'd make in 10 days just planting 10k a day.

If the 70% chance of maxing out at 30k is true, then burying 10k is the clearly best path. I'd really like to see what the source for that is. If it's just someone doing a few tests, it's likely to be bullshit. If it's datamined somehow, then that's that. People have said 50% in the past, which would be a very different situation.

Enough people have said it's bunk that I'm inclined to believe it's bunk. If it was true then it wouldn't be controversial because everyone would have seen the same thing by now.

https://animalcrossing.fandom.com/wiki/Money_tree

I think you're right, was just reading this today.

quote:

Profiting

If the player plants 99,000 bells in every glowing spot every day for a year, they will have planted a total of 36,135,000 bells. Statistically, with 30% of the trees being 297,000 bells, and 70% being 30,000 bells, you can theoretically expect to harvest 40,320,000 bells from money trees for a profit of 4,185,000 bells; a 11.58% profit

If the player plants 10,000 bells in every glowing spot every day they will have planted 3,650,000 bells. They then will have a 100% chance of getting 3x 10,000 bells every tree for a guaranteed harvest of 10,950,000 bells. This is a profit of 7,300,000 bells; a 200% profit.

Some sources tell players to plant 30,000 bells daily. This insures that they have zero loss when they only harvest 30,000 bells back from the tree. However, the expected profit from planting 30,000 bells is an 18,000 bell profit per tree. Planting 10,000 bells is always a 20,000 bell profit.

You should always plant 10,000 bells, for not only a better profit but a more guaranteed one.

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals

Bellmeistr posted:

Sorry, I thought her mystery items were the same for everyone. Is that not the case?

Someone else will have responded by now (this thread goes a mile a minute, so apologies), but I'm pretty sure they're different for everyone. You got magma floor/wall (can't remember which) earlier on and I got something completely different when I visited your island.

So far Sahara is the only visitor I'm not thrilled to see. I've forked out for all rugs and mysteries each time and have never gotten anything particularly exciting. Looking forward to Flick coming back - I've only met him once and I've been playing daily since launch.

This might have been something that was in previous AC games, but I'd love the opportunity to build a public building. Exactly the same concept as your house but a place where your villagers could come in and mingle. Could make it into a bar, a restaurant, a shop, a rival museum... would just add a bit more life without shaking things up too much. I've converted my house into a pub, but it's no fun without the villagers coming in.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Chris Pistols posted:

a rival museum

You really want to make enemies with Blathers and Celeste?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

bushisms.txt posted:

https://animalcrossing.fandom.com/wiki/Money_tree

I think you're right, was just reading this today.

What if you plant 11000 every day

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Eiba posted:

It’s datamined by @_Ninji, who datamined a bunch of other stuff as well. You can find it on their Twitter.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You'll still lose in the long run, but feel 10% more excited at your recklessness compared to investing 10k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I tried to give you an answer from this chart, but my nose started bleeding