Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

top 10 photos taken seconds before disaster

yes your computer has shut down because windows isn't activated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

top 10 photos taken seconds before disaster

Arivia posted:

donoteat01, is that you?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Here's the 95% done Seb/Guay collaboration piece

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I already own 3 mckinnon playmats but want to order more, and probably a print. I hate this stupid game.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Kurieg posted:

Here's the 95% done Seb/Guay collaboration piece

:eyepop:

holy poo poo that's fantastic

yeah I'm pretty much sold, just waiting on my cousin to see if he wants to split the shipping

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
obama is black white hybrid

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Arivia posted:

who the gently caress is scraeming "BUY WINDOWS" at my house. show yourself, coward. i will never buy windows

PJOmega posted:

They're dead without the Hornbash Mentor though.

this way is much funnier

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

fwiw arena runs fine on linux with lutris if you're ok with reinstalling every update

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Look Around You posted:

fwiw arena runs fine on linux with lutris if you're ok with reinstalling every update

So we finally found a format where Lutri isn't pre-banned?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

who the gently caress is scraeming "BUY WINDOWS" at my house. show yourself, coward. i will never buy windows

this way is much funnier

Look up the command lines to activate your windows against a public KMS server and your done. I couldn't have that watermark in my face indefinitely.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I did it, I won one match in draft

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I know Companion is strong and all, but it is an incredibly reassuring feeling to see that your opponent has Umori as their companion. So much you don't have to worry about!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Nolgthorn posted:

I did it, I won one match in draft

I didn't win any but the pack I got has that impending doom or whatever kraken card. Thanks game you know me well.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
MTGO is hilariously broke. Oko isn't consistently taking away Leonin Arbiter always affects searching, accidentally legalized underworld breach in Legacy and layers are messed up in general.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I like the more realistic drafting environment, I found it stressful. I don't understand what's going on in the interface. Packs are showing up at the top of my screen making noises which is distracting. I think it means there's packs it's waiting for me to look through.

From what I understand that's the last feature arena didn't have that mtgo did. So mtgo is dead now?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Arena isn't perfect, I swear it's bugged out on me more than once. During a match I couldn't cast a mutate I clearly had the mana to cast, and at another point it wouldn't let me cast a sorcery I clearly had the mana for.

A few days ago I cast a spell that said activated abilities don't trigger into a Nadir Kraken. Low and behold on their upkeep they were able to spend some mana to pump it up. So I dunno.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You can't Mutate if you only have humans, something that stops activated abilities doesn't do anything about triggered abilities.

Not sure what was up with your sorcery, but I'm sure that's also explained by not having the right targets, not being your main phase with an empty stack, and/or an effect from some other card in play.

qwewq
Aug 16, 2017

Nolgthorn posted:

Arena isn't perfect, I swear it's bugged out on me more than once. During a match I couldn't cast a mutate I clearly had the mana to cast, and at another point it wouldn't let me cast a sorcery I clearly had the mana for.

A few days ago I cast a spell that said activated abilities don't trigger into a Nadir Kraken. Low and behold on their upkeep they were able to spend some mana to pump it up. So I dunno.

I can't speak to the point about the sorcery, but in the mutate case did you only have a human out? Might have been that.

In the Nadir Kraken instance, Kraken's ability is a triggered ability upon card draw that has a mana cost, not an activated ability.

E. What they said ^^

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Nolgthorn posted:

Nadir kracken doesn't have any activated abilities.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I like how arena takes all these bullshit rules and acts as a definitive judge so that the game is playable. I definitely had a non human creature begging me to mutate onto it. But yeah, maybe there was some other restriction or I was doing something wrong.

"Doesn't trigger" suggests something is triggering it to me, other than the player. And "activated abilities" to me would include "whenever you draw a card." It's like I need an encyclopedia of the rules.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
At this point Arena probably knows the rules better than anyone in this thread so I really doubt you're right in this instance.

E: your interpretation of the rules is in fact wrong

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Nolgthorn posted:

I like how arena takes all these bullshit rules and acts as a definitive judge so that the game is playable. I definitely had a non human creature begging me to mutate onto it. But yeah, maybe there was some other restriction or I was doing something wrong.

"Doesn't trigger" suggests something is triggering it to me, other than the player. And "activated abilities" it seems to me would include "whenever you draw a card." It's like I need an encyclopedia of the rules.

"activated abilities don't trigger" isn't a thing that's printed on a card.

Activated abilities are activated. Triggered abilities trigger.

An activated ability has a colon in it.
A triggered ability starts with "when," "whenever," or "at"
Everything else is a static ability.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 17, 2020

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Drafting on Arena is going to be weird because the vast majority of arena drafters don't know how. Say what you will about MTGO but the people still drafting there know what they are doing and are going to have something playable. When I did my free draft half my wins were people who some terrible decks.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Nolgthorn posted:

"Doesn't trigger" suggests something is triggering it to me, other than the player. And "activated abilities" to me would include "whenever you draw a card." It's like I need an encyclopedia of the rules.

Triggered abilities begin with "When", "Whenever", or "At".

Activated abilitied have a cost, a colon, and an effect like
{R}:this creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

So arena isn't glitchy for anyone else, got it.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I mean I could start whining about the loving autotapper if you want, but generally Arena's been pretty good.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Nolgthorn posted:

There is in fact an official rule book that gives each term a very specific definition. They spend a lot of effort making sure every card is as unambiguous as possible with respect to the rules. What you feel is suggested by some wording means less than nothing.

As for your mutate, most likely you weren't in your main phase with an empty stack.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Nolgthorn posted:

So arena isn't glitchy for anyone else, got it.

i'm sorry you had to learn that the computer knows the game rules better than you do

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

odiv posted:

I mean I could start whining about the loving autotapper if you want, but generally Arena's been pretty good.

I think the other day it tapped my ability land before my dual. I was so proud of it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Nolgthorn posted:

It's helpful to remember that activated abilities will always have a cost, even if it's 0 or a tap and will have a : in the rules text to indicate a cost.

Triggered abilities will often have words like "when(ever)" or "if" and will be put on the stack whenever that condition is met, with no required player intervention or cost to pay.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Nolgthorn posted:

next time take a screenshot so we can tell you exactly how you got the rules wrong, instead of having to guess

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The autotapper is extremely dumb with interplanar beacon and some utility lands. Well that's my rant.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Framboise posted:

It's helpful to remember that activated abilities will always have a cost, even if it's 0 or a tap and will have a : in the rules text to indicate a cost.

Triggered abilities will often have words like "when(ever)" or "if" and will be put on the stack whenever that condition is met, with no required player intervention or cost to pay.

I thought "If" was the clue for a replacement effect

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

resistentialism posted:

The autotapper is extremely dumb with interplanar beacon and some utility lands. Well that's my rant.

Getting owned by the autotapper is rough because it’s usually fine and lulls you into a false sense of security then BAM it’s top 10 anime betrayals all over again

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Yeah, "When", "Whenever" and "At" are the key words for triggering.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jabor posted:

Yeah, "When", "Whenever" and "At" are the key words for triggering.

don't forget "reserve list"

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

I thought "If" was the clue for a replacement effect

Replacment effects often have "instead," but there's a lot of templates.

"If" just means "If" most of the time. Triggered abilities sometimes have what's called an "Intervening if," which looks like "When [trigger], if [condition], [effect]"

These check the condition after the "if" both when the ability would go on the stack and also when it resolves. This is the only special signifier about "if" that I know of.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The Even or Odd mechanic is starting to bug me over time because there's really no real flavour for it, it's just a hard game mechanic which feels unusual to me?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Eej posted:

The Even or Odd mechanic is starting to bug me over time because there's really no real flavour for it, it's just a hard game mechanic which feels unusual to me?

trying to tie mechanics to flavor is nice when it works but i don't get too disappointed when it doesn't

for better or worse i think the flavor is more on the bonding with creatures side rather than exactly what it means that the soul of the player-planeswalker only likes cheap spells

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
all the things that care about even/odd lately are tied to creature types that are weird horror monster (sea leviathans, hellions, eldrazi) so the restrictions could be seen as them warping magic in weird and unpredictable ways as horror monsters tend to do