Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

He was talking about when they should release Tarkov, so plainly he's starting to give up on his original vision for it and is willing to accept a compromised version of "done," with the rest of his ideas considered to be stretch goals for the future.

What's funny to me is how meaningless such a "release" would be. They're entirely self published, so it would basically amount to taking down all the text about Tarkov being a beta and announcing they aren't going to be releasing new content for a while. And letting journos start reviewing it, I suppose. But the game is already purchasable, already playable, already considered largely finished in the minds of many of its newer players, even. So releasing it early would be more waving a white flag than shipping a product.

For their sake I hope it's not any time soon, because there's still a lot of things in Tarkov that are in a very rough, early state. The skills and sounds reworks will be a good start, but quests are in dire need of a rework too, and it will be extremely LOL if they give up on the open world system and stick with timed raids because Nikita found out what a pain the rear end managing an enormously popular MMO is and got sick of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

RIP Russia 2028 then, I bet. Unless that is sufficiently different enough for him.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

dear God I hope they drop the open world. I'll take this jank over open world jank. just as long as they continue to reiterate on what they have.

marathon raids where you can go into a special dungeon like labs would be cool. like a limited open world

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 16, 2020

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Famethrowa posted:

dear God I hope they drop the open world. I'll take this jank over open world jank. just as long as they continue to reiterate on what they have.

marathon raids where you can go into a special dungeon like labs would be cool. like a limited open world

I think that is kind of the plan. To be able to actually escape from Tarkov. You'd follow a path from something like Streets and get out at Lighthouse. Goal being you start with nothing and things get progressively harder on your way out, all just using what you find to survive.

I know Lighthouse is intended to be only accessible via Shoreline. It's even gonna have a special merchant that is only available in game and on that map.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ShowTime posted:

I think that is kind of the plan. To be able to actually escape from Tarkov. You'd follow a path from something like Streets and get out at Lighthouse. Goal being you start with nothing and things get progressively harder on your way out, all just using what you find to survive.

I know Lighthouse is intended to be only accessible via Shoreline. It's even gonna have a special merchant that is only available in game and on that map.

All merchants were planned to be only available in game :ssh:

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
M995 has gone down in price it looks like. Now $10 instead of $13. I haven't looked at Slick trade in yet because i'm not yet tier lvl 4.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

ShowTime posted:

They talked about microtransactions. Even as a way to stop RMT. Nikita is adamantly against it. Saying that, money changes everything.

What, like being able to buy a bigger container or something? Yeah, that would be pretty lovely.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

aniviron posted:

What, like being able to buy a bigger container or something? Yeah, that would be pretty lovely.

Just being able to buy roubles basically. The argument being, when you can buy from the source, hackers are less likely to be hacking to make money. But they'd just sell for cheaper, so that doesn't always work.

I do recall two interesting things from the podcast now though. Pestily mentioned being approached by these RMT websites to do advertising on his channel. Nikita mentioned banning a hacker on Youtube and the hacker messaging BSG and saying "Why are you banning me? I'm helping you. This footage is prerecorded and from a hack that no longer works. They are buying nothing that works and are wasting money, which they are not likely to spend a second time."

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
When given an option, people are more likely to take the legitimate route rather than go through 3rd party sellers, whose trustworthiness is questionable by nature. Selling rubles and whatnot via microtransactions would definitely cut down on RMT, or at least drop the profit margin on it, which could potentially drive some of the people doing it out of the business. Plus, that revenue that was going to go to RMTers is now going to the devs, which funds the game. As RMTers are usually hackers and whatnot, it could also theoretically do something to combat that.

The major question is, do we trust the devs to not abuse microtransactions, like so many other devs do? Honestly, BSG strikes me as rather genuine with how they interact with the playerbase, which is really refreshing to see. If they announced microtransactions, I wouldn't automatically assume the end of the world, at least.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

It would bring me great joy to see I took someones meta 416 and kit that they paid real money for because I got a good shot with a mosin on a scav :getin:

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Selling roubles in this game would be the dumbest thing. Early wipe it would be incredibly OP; late wipe it would be the most useless thing ever. I’m not generally against buying currency in games, but anyone who actually buys shekels in G2A or whatever is an absolute moron. Both because the hideout exists, and because they are encouraging hacking in a game where not only is it super frustrating to get killed by hackers, but the devs ain’t so good at handling or preventing it.

The overall development process at BSG doesn’t seem equipped to keep up with everything, they’d be better off just taking the CSGO introducing player based evaluation and a shadow pool that verified hackers get sent to.

If BSG introduces cosmetic mtx id be 100% down. I have a reasonable level of confidence in their vision for the game that they wouldn’t go full rainbow six pizza man, and I’d happily pay for poo poo like cool gun camos and new voice taunts.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 17, 2020

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Wildlands had good cosmetic MTX. Siege's are godawful abominations Montreal should be ashamed of.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
That god damned "scavs have arrived with your loot" noise scares the poo poo out of me every time.

Edit: VVV GOD BLESS

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 17, 2020

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

ChesterJT posted:

That god damned "scavs have arrived with your loot" noise scares the poo poo out of me every time.

You can turn that off by disabling hideout and interface sounds

Orv
May 4, 2011

causticBeet posted:

Selling roubles in this game would be the dumbest thing. Early wipe it would be incredibly OP; late wipe it would be the most useless thing ever. I’m not generally against buying currency in games, but anyone who actually buys shekels in G2A or whatever is an absolute moron. Both because the hideout exists, and because they are encouraging hacking in a game where not only is it super frustrating to get killed by hackers, but the devs ain’t so good at handling or preventing it.

The overall development process at BSG doesn’t seem equipped to keep up with everything, they’d be better off just taking the CSGO introducing player based evaluation and a shadow pool that verified hackers get sent to.

If BSG introduces cosmetic mtx id be 100% down. I have a reasonable level of confidence in their vision for the game that they wouldn’t go full rainbow six pizza man, and I’d happily pay for poo poo like cool gun camos and new voice taunts.

If you wouldn't wear the horrifying pizza mozzie skin in Tarkov what are you even doing

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Not a huge fan of Pestily (also not not a fan, just burned out on his accent I guess) but this new series I really like. Hardcore challenge. Lots of rules but basically you start with nothing and 0 dollars. Only secure container you can use is a 2x2 square and all it can hold is keys. No buying/selling stuff, you can only barter for things. No flea market at all. No insurance or anything. Couple other rules but that premise is enough to check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4litdjH3iJw

I get these challenge runs can get a little stale because there are tons of them, but for some reason, this one got me interested. The survival aspect of it coupled with the sheer brutality of risking everything (or almost everything) every single run is pretty entertaining. I'm currently trying to figure out a way to blow through my roubles in the most interesting way possible and maybe when I do that i'll try this out.

Edit: also, my go to weapon starting out next wipe is gonna be the p90. Been running it lately and I didn't realize how laser like it was for only 100k a run. You can run a top of the line P90 with a few mags and ammo for under 150k. It's good in every situation but extreme long ranges, but it can still snipe.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 19, 2020

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

ShowTime posted:

just burned out on his accent I guess

Yes the well known grating Aussie accent. But seriously he's a super awesome guy and has raised a lot of money for charity.

I finally hit lv30 and have almost everything unlocked or unlocking in my hideout which is cool. I also just realized you can buy outfits from Ragman. Little steps.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 20, 2020

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I've subbed to Pestily several times and have gifted a handful of subs too. I appreciate his content and what he's done to promote the game. Still can't watch too much of him before I want to watch something else.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Deadlyslob does the same hardcore challenge every now and then as well, if you'd prefer a Canadian accent.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

ShowTime posted:

I've subbed to Pestily several times and have gifted a handful of subs too. I appreciate his content and what he's done to promote the game. Still can't watch too much of him before I want to watch something else.

dude

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

have you been reading their posts in this thread? lol

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

What?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

have you been reading their posts in this thread? lol

Not seeing it.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Let them spend their money how they want?

At least it's Pestily and not some gigantic POS. :shrug:

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

once again, please enlighten us with your opinions about streamers
i need some comedy, after all

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I searched budget alternatives for a 30k mosin.

You can make an AK-74M for around 10k in lvl2 workshop. You can make the weapon parts by yourself too for them.

Then add:
ultimak gas tube 2,4k
tt01 iron sight 3k
pp-19 grip 1k
butt pad GP-25 3,4k
srvv comp 6k (pws cqb reduces recoil like 2% more but costs 10k more)
palm us 30rnd mag 3,5k

30 rounds of PS: 1,5k
30 rounds of BP: self-made 12,5k flea market 24k
gun 10k

Total: 30K with ps, BP 42k-54k

You can kill 1 nerd with the gun and get his gun and ammo.

Aim for the dick, rounds 2-3 go to face thanks to recoil and rest to chest. Get a jump on a guy and he will most likely die!

At least I get bored of mosin runs, I only use a few bullets which is meh. I want to spray! For cheap.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 20, 2020

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Ihmemies posted:

I searched budget alternatives for a 30k mosin.

You can make an AK-74M for around 10k in lvl2 workshop. You can make the weapon parts by yourself too for them.

Then add:
ultimak gas tube 2,4k
tt01 iron sight 3k
pp-19 grip 1k
butt pad GP-25 3,4k
srvv comp 6k (pws cqb reduces recoil like 2% more but costs 10k more)
palm us 30rnd mag 3,5k

30 rounds of PS: 1,5k
30 rounds of BP: self-made 12,5k flea market 24k
gun 10k

Total: 30K with ps, BP 42k-54k

You can kill 1 nerd with the gun and get his gun and ammo.

Aim for the dick, rounds 2-3 go to face thanks to recoil and rest to chest. Get a jump on a guy and he will most likely die!

At least I get bored of mosin runs, I only use a few bullets which is meh. I want to spray! For cheap.

BT is higher pen than BP and cheaper too. Unless you're religiously against using tracer rounds, there's no reason not to go for BT instead. 5.45x39mm PS should be exclusively used for turning into blue gunpowder and not actually firing out of your gun. Anyways, you can't really do this route to get an AK-74M if you're starting early, Workbench 2 is locked behind Mechanic 2, which is minimum level 20. By then you will have flea, and can buy stupidly under-priced 74Ms off the flea and fit them however you want.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

BT is higher pen than BP and cheaper too. Unless you're religiously against using tracer rounds, there's no reason not to go for BT instead. 5.45x39mm PS should be exclusively used for turning into blue gunpowder and not actually firing out of your gun. Anyways, you can't really do this route to get an AK-74M if you're starting early, Workbench 2 is locked behind Mechanic 2, which is minimum level 20. By then you will have flea, and can buy stupidly under-priced 74Ms off the flea and fit them however you want.

Huh, I thought it was a 7.62 weapon. My bad! Yes definitely use 5.45x39 BT. In that case the mag doesn't fit so use a pmag or something. SRVV makes a 5.45x39 muzzlebrake too.

Having high levels doesn't mean your wallet has high numbers and you can buy whatever guns and mods you want. How do I know? Well... :suicide:

The 5.45x39 6L26 45 round magazine is around 4k so you can fit in more ammo. It has only -7 ergo.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Apr 20, 2020

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BT is higher damage but lower pen iirc (though it might be vice versa, it's been a while since I looked), which is meaningless really since things like damage and pen only seem to matter when they pass a threshold for how many bullets it takes to black out a limb/torso/head on a certain class of armor.

They're close enough on the chart that I'd believe them functionally identical, so the only real choice is whether you want more widely available ammo for cheaper or if you don't want tracers.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I need to setup remote desktop to use the gun editor and flea while at work (80% of our work has disappeared after coronavirus pandemic started but we have to be here anyways). Doing stuff with wiki and tarkov-market only is more prone to mistakes..

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Hazdoc posted:

You also can turn 80 PS into 240 PP rounds with bolts, which is only two points worse in damage and armor penetration to BP.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Cup Runneth Over posted:

BT is higher damage but lower pen iirc (though it might be vice versa, it's been a while since I looked), which is meaningless really since things like damage and pen only seem to matter when they pass a threshold for how many bullets it takes to black out a limb/torso/head on a certain class of armor.

They're close enough on the chart that I'd believe them functionally identical, so the only real choice is whether you want more widely available ammo for cheaper or if you don't want tracers.

BT is higher pen, slightly lower damage. While both BT and BP pen class 3 armor fairly well on the first shot, they both will usually fail to pen class 4 armor. This is where the difference between BT and BP starts to show, as BT will pen much more frequently on the 2nd or 3rd shot, while BP will be struggling to do the same. The difference is usually only 1-2 bullets, but why worsen your TTK with a more expensive round?

Triple A posted:

You also can turn 80 PS into 240 PP rounds with bolts, which is only two points worse in damage and armor penetration to BP.

PP rounds are actually bad, having a non-insignificant chance of failing to pen Class 3 on the first shot. PP should expect to take 2-3 more shots than BT, and 1-2 than BP, in breaking Class 4 down enough to pen, due to lower pen and lower armor damage. It also does less damage per bullet than BP. Don't use PP rounds. That conversion requires bolts, which go for 15kish on the flea. You could sell those bolts, and buy a stack BT ammo with it instead. If you're going to play the poor man's game so hard to the point you'd consider PP ammo a budget choice, you should just be getting 7.62x39mm guns instead, and buy that caliber's PS ammo, which is cheaper than 5.45's PP and has higher pen and damage, comparatively.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

I searched budget alternatives for a 30k mosin

I'd suggest a rec battery swap for ADAR for ~12k + 9.5k cobra, which gets you a pretty solid gun for 21.5k and then 30 rounds of 856a1 is about another 11k on flea (additional mags are dirt cheap, you can pop on a muzzle device easily, etc.)

if you're upset about the cost of ammo that isn't LPS Gzh, aren't willing to drop the extra money for a VSS, and really want full auto for close range, the AKMS and AKMSN run about ~16-17k on flea and 7.62 PS is dirt cheap, and the inability to swap out the stock isn't actually an impediment if the GP-25 pad was the most you were going to do anyway

you will definitely get better results by spending a little more on better ammo (or using slightly more expensive guns in calibers like 7.62x51/9x39 where the budget ammo is still capable of loving up geared PMCs in short order)

e: nothing wrong with -74 variants rocking BT though obviously, just that they're not necessarily at the top of my personal "I should probably be scavving/running a pistol" bottom-barrel-scrounging list if I'm putting together builds with straight roubles (otoh it's really easy to pick up -74 variants in-raid, and from that perspective mildly souping them up and buying some quality ammo is pretty cost-efficient)

LGD fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 20, 2020

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I wonder if we see significant nerfs to the hideout profitability in the future. I’ve heard rumors that they will add durability to graphics cards, but this would probably also tank the price and it would end up being a wash.

As it is now, you basically hit level 25 and then can generate infinite free money. Even without access to some of the level 30 loops (moonshine for scav cases, M995 crafting), you make stupid money running the BTC farm, scav case, and green gunpowder crafting, and then eliminating fuel costs with mag cases.

It’s a fun problem to have, and it’s definitely nice to be able to run whatever kit you want with some minimal hideout clicking, but this feels moderately problematic and probably related to a lot of the insane flea market behavior.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Finally finished my epsilon and now I can finally dig into the stockpile of M1A SASSes that I’ve built from Mechanic’s severe nicotine addiction. I’m still pretty new and low 50’s recoil with M80 feels amazing, especially after the SVDS.

Going back to budget builds and pre-flea guns, though, what are good “new wipe” guns to be familiar with? Rec battery ADAR as mentioned seems super solid... GP coin SKS? 7.62 VEPR with a few attachments? USB-A M1A? Or just Mosin Boyz it?

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

yep, cheap lovely 7.62x39 will rule early wipe now that you can get pacas at level 1 traders, 9x19 used to be king for like 3 days RIP. Maybe it'll be 5.45 AKs running PS for a few days now then into 7.62x39 for a week then it's all aboard to M80 town for a few more weeks.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
This rain is getting ridiculous. Seems like the past week has been raid about half my matches. I like the idea of seasons, but a monsoon season is not something I think i'm in for.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

ShowTime posted:

This rain is getting ridiculous. Seems like the past week has been raid about half my matches. I like the idea of seasons, but a monsoon season is not something I think i'm in for.

In Finland it usually rains every 2nd day. During autumn/winter it is not unusual to go weeks without any sunshine.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

ShowTime posted:

Aren't weather conditions based on actual St. Petersberg weather or is that just seeped into my brain from the rest of the insane dev decisions

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Famethrowa posted:

Aren't weather conditions based on actual St. Petersberg weather or is that just seeped into my brain from the rest of the insane dev decisions

It could be. I remember Nikita mentioning they had a whole schedule planned out months in advance. It could be based off things in that region. I honestly don't know what weather there is like.

Someone mentioned Nikita forgot to turn on rain effects for a few months. Maybe they scheduled enough now to make up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Famethrowa posted:

It used to be but then they turned it off. Dunno if they ever turned it back on