Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Undead Hippo posted:

At one point Clint's character lied to Griffin's character about how he got some chewing gum, and a deception check was rolled. I think that's literally it.

They also rolled to see if they were winded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I think this episode is getting me off the Graduation train. Higglemus admits to mind controlling people but says its to battle a big mysterious threat that only he knows about and has no proof of. In a better story, this would be setting him up as the villian, but this is the Adventure Zone so there are no villains just vague evil forces up in the sky.

Griffin tries to bring this up, but the best answer Travis has for him is "Because this is the show so do it."

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I wanted them to push hard for a fight with Higglemus to gently caress up the railroading.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Justin's new YouTube video about geocaching inspired me to go out and find my firstgeocache :shobon:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

COOL CORN posted:

Justin's new YouTube video about geocaching inspired me to go out and find my firstgeocache :shobon:

It’s a neat hobby but I’m not sure now is the best time to be promoting it.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Being outside isn't going to mysteriously get you sick. it's fine if you go alone or with people you live with. Unless you're hanging around bats and/or pangolins I guess

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah I was walking alone in the woods, I think I'm safe there. I don't live in Manhattan or something.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

It’ll depend on your area I suppose. All the ones around here are in fairly travelled areas like parks so whatever. Regardless stay the gently caress home please.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'll keep taking hour long walks through my back yard into the woods where I don't see a single other person, but thank you for your concern. :)

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I don't like how Griffin keeps doubling down on being villianous in TAZ graduation. It kinda fits, but it also feels like he did it to give the story a villain character for the audience to focus on.

Edit: I would like the twist to be that everyone was lying to the Thundermen this whole time.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 17, 2020

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Crowetron posted:

I think this episode is getting me off the Graduation train. Higglemus admits to mind controlling people but says its to battle a big mysterious threat that only he knows about and has no proof of. In a better story, this would be setting him up as the villian, but this is the Adventure Zone so there are no villains just vague evil forces up in the sky.

Griffin tries to bring this up, but the best answer Travis has for him is "Because this is the show so do it."

Eh, that's unfair. Balance had a lot of villains that weren't connected to the Hunger, and Amnesty had the Shapeshifter, who even if he was working for the vague evil force in the sky, was pretty directly an rear end in a top hat who enjoyed what he was doing.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

RandomPauI posted:

I don't like how Griffin keeps doubling down on being villianous in TAZ graduation. It kinda fits, but it also feels like he did it to give the story a villain character for the audience to focus on.

Villainous is a bit of a strong word. Fitzroy is certainly a self-absorbed little poo poo, but his selfishness is understandable, even if it's not proactive hero behavior. The character is very concerned with the superficial aspects of knighthood and heroism while completely failing to live up to those actual ideals, and since the hero/villain labels mean very little in the setting, that's an extra excuse for him not to care and continue valuing his own life and safety over ancient demon prince drama he's only just heard about.

I'm guessing Griffin's general intended character arc is for Fitzroy to actually learn to be a better person through the people he meets and the trials he faces. To finally be shown, rather than just told, what a real hero is. But I'm not sure Travis is on the same wavelength, considering how his NPCs keep trying to appeal to Fitzroy's better nature. D&D5 doesn't really do alignments, but Fitzroy seems like the typical shithead Neutral party member who won't go on the adventure unless he's promised a bag of money and a really cool hat, while the rest of the party already agreed half an hour ago to risk their lives for a perfect stranger and no reward whatsoever.

That made the last 20 minutes of the episode a frustrating listen, because I've been the bystander in that D&D party more than once, checking my phone while the DM improvises a speech about selflessness and duty when the magic words are really just "We'll give you 3000 gold and the deed to a cool haunted castle".

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Do you think the McElroys are aware that all of their podcasts suck now and are just soldiering through it because their entire extended family relies on the money from their content mill or they're in denial and think they're as good as ever.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

no I don't think that

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i bet they're like, doing their best, man

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
That's an extra weird post to make when the last few MBMBAMs have been great

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Some people really hate it when the clowns are sended in.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sleeveless'd again

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I’ve wondered for years what it would take to make Send In The Clowns funny, and it turns out the answer is to do it six episodes after the last time he did it. I laughed at it for the first time this week, particularly because he apparently didn’t fill the others in on why he was doing it before he started.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RandomPauI posted:

Some people really hate it when the clowns are sended in.

PUT THE FUCKIN CLOWNS BACK JUSTIN

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Bip Roberts posted:

I wanted them to push hard for a fight with Higglemus to gently caress up the railroading.

Having just binged through Rude Tales of Magic, that’s the one aspect I really wish they’d adopt in TAZ. Someone does something that’s clearly not the intended solution because it’s funny or makes sense to their character, and the DM doesn’t hold their hand and say “You do that and it’s funny and then you get to make your real choice,” he says “Okay. You do that. Here are the consequences. You’re in more trouble now.” Like, I loved the first encounter with Count Ivan in RToM where they succeeded in a peaceful option and someone made a joke and the response was “No. Roll for that. You pressed your luck,” and suddenly they were hosed over again.

And it’s frustrating that I know they have it in them, what with serving a monster a subpoena.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

One thing I liked when listening to NADPODD was Murph saying that he hated when the PCs would just gently caress around and do OOC improv. So he'd do stuff like if someone jokingly said "I do this, haha," he'd start making them roll so that they would start choosing how they talked.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Yeah Beverly playing tricks on gods and getting screwed for it is very good

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

Eh, that's unfair. Balance had a lot of villains that weren't connected to the Hunger, and Amnesty had the Shapeshifter, who even if he was working for the vague evil force in the sky, was pretty directly an rear end in a top hat who enjoyed what he was doing.

It just reminded me of that terrible part towards the end of Amnesty where a group of NPCs do a heinous act and then everyone is just palling around with them because we should all be nicer to lynch mobs.

Travis gives us no reason to trust Higglemus aside from "Cuz I wrote that he's the good guy" and everyone just kinda rolls with it because TAZ is a financial endeavor they can't really afford to argue about now. It's a bummer.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Murph is Lawful Good. He likes his fun to be organized.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013
I'm a little unclear on the extent to which Justin was on board with his character essentially having already signed up to the whole scheme, off screen, and agreed to be repeatedly mind wiped about it for a kind of arbitrary reason. Those should be huge character choices, that the player should be on board with.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Not Operator posted:

Murph is Lawful Good. He likes his fun to be organized.

I think Murph likes to goof around as much as the rest of them (well maybe not quite as much as Emily), but he also likes to keep the story going. Lest people get the wrong idea about the show, he's also a lot more willing to say "yes, you can try this crazy bullshit thing because that's awesome" than a lot of DMs I've known.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Undead Hippo posted:

I'm a little unclear on the extent to which Justin was on board with his character essentially having already signed up to the whole scheme, off screen, and agreed to be repeatedly mind wiped about it for a kind of arbitrary reason. Those should be huge character choices, that the player should be on board with.

I haven't listened to the last couple of episodes yet but I can't imagine that Travis and Justin didn't have offscreen conversations about something like this.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Since we had somebody (fairly) complaining about this not too long ago I'll just remind everyone that we do have a dedicated NADDPOD Thread for folks who want more in depth discussion on what is, IMHO, the current DnD 5e Actual Play GOAT. Fair warning that we're all caught up through episode 97, so start from the beginning, work your way forward and beware of spoilers!

On the general topic of goofs in DnD, I like NPCs (and, by extension, DMs) to have a sense of humor and not take a sly little joke as "a grave insult to my honor, good sir!" Whether that means the NPC can take a joke, or the DM interprets the remark as being an OOC joke, or even just clarifies "wait, are you saying that in character?" NPCs should be "yes, and"ing as much as possible too!

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Thought the latest was good and bad, I enjoyed them goofing off at the start they had some genuine fun TM and that was cool

The railroading storyline is just awful, graduation isn’t a story about these character’s adventures but a story about Travis’ NPCs, nothing the characters do matter and that sucks

Now that I think about it if this is what Travis wanted to do he should have just done this as a fictional story podcast ala limetown or whatever it just doesn’t work as an improv dnd actual play

Do it ironically fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 17, 2020

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

timp posted:

On the general topic of goofs in DnD, I like NPCs (and, by extension, DMs) to have a sense of humor and not take a sly little joke as "a grave insult to my honor, good sir!" Whether that means the NPC can take a joke, or the DM interprets the remark as being an OOC joke, or even just clarifies "wait, are you saying that in character?" NPCs should be "yes, and"ing as much as possible too!

One of my favorite bits in Balance was when Pringles got imprisoned, Taako gravely asked "Did he pop and fail to stop?" and the Director answered something like "If that was a crime, we'd all be in jail, wouldn't we?" without missing a beat.

I can see how goofing around might derail some games, but the very last thing I'd want is Travis punishing the players for doing jokes and goofy poo poo, both in and out of character. I remember at the beginning of Dust, he said he wouldn't allow the characters to make silly comments at serious NPCs, and Justin rightfully got on his case for it, because this is still supposed to be a comedy podcast.

I don't think the problem is Travis ignoring goofs, or even the railroading. I've seen plenty of campaigns that were firmly on rails and they were perfectly fine, simply because the DM understood their characters' motivations and took them into account when making plans so they wouldn't have to turn on a dime later. But Travis obviously missed the mark with Fitzroy there, and seemed to lack a good Plan B to course-correct with so the Thundermen would still end up going on the adventure in an organic-seeming way.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, nice, Clint's reading Coraline on the youtube vids now. :3

I wonder if Neil Gaiman gave them permission directly? It seems like the kind of thing he'd do!

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Crowetron posted:

It just reminded me of that terrible part towards the end of Amnesty where a group of NPCs do a heinous act and then everyone is just palling around with them because we should all be nicer to lynch mobs.

I actually took that a different way, and it was what really made me hate Aubrey. These guys were a bunch of dudes that just watched a monster literally tear some of their friends to shreds in front of their eyes. They showed up to the lodge full of weirdo "monster hunters" that possibly knew why people in the town were dying and refused to let anyone in the town in on what they knew. Admittedly, the gang threatened them for information.

The Pine Guard had the moral high ground in terms of "We're not some roving nutbags going around threatening people. Stand down and maybe we can tell you what's going on." But instead of going after the gang for being violent and threatening, Aubrey acted like these people had no reason whatsoever to be upset, and it was really kind of jarring and made me think of those really hypocritical moments Magnus had in Balance.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/sydneemcelroy/status/1251667281748398083

It fucks up my perception of time that Cooper is already this big.

E: also if you don't wanna watch all the Trolls, here's just the boys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW89M98lNz0

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 19, 2020

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Plan Z posted:

I actually took that a different way, and it was what really made me hate Aubrey. These guys were a bunch of dudes that just watched a monster literally tear some of their friends to shreds in front of their eyes. They showed up to the lodge full of weirdo "monster hunters" that possibly knew why people in the town were dying and refused to let anyone in the town in on what they knew. Admittedly, the gang threatened them for information.

The Pine Guard had the moral high ground in terms of "We're not some roving nutbags going around threatening people. Stand down and maybe we can tell you what's going on." But instead of going after the gang for being violent and threatening, Aubrey acted like these people had no reason whatsoever to be upset, and it was really kind of jarring and made me think of those really hypocritical moments Magnus had in Balance.

That's a valid way of looking at it that I hadn't considered. And another reason why that time skip was stupid: exploring the fallout from those events would've been really interesting but instead we just jump past it and everyone is friends with everyone else again. I get that the boys are most skilled in jokes and tend to stumble at more dramatic stuff, but they just keep setting up these interesting conflicts and then deflating them instantly.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I refuse to believe the “YOU SUCK” tumbleweed is Justin. It’s 100% griffin.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Finally got around to listening to TAZ: Mercer and I hope they do a sequel next year, it felt set up as a bit of a pilot episode. Clint's reaction right after the box was opened was a big laugh-out-loud moment, too.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Crowetron posted:

That's a valid way of looking at it that I hadn't considered. And another reason why that time skip was stupid: exploring the fallout from those events would've been really interesting but instead we just jump past it and everyone is friends with everyone else again. I get that the boys are most skilled in jokes and tend to stumble at more dramatic stuff, but they just keep setting up these interesting conflicts and then deflating them instantly.

Yeah, like a lot of Amnesty, it was undercooked overall.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The kid on this week's MBMBaM who get $current_age per tooth lost has it made and has definitely done the mental math on when they should just completely smash their own mouth and cash in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qlld4lMFEE

STOP LETTING YOUR KIDS LEARN HOW TO TALK AND STUFF IT'S loving ME UP