Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I mean the original will is already destroyed, by one of these people with an interest in... Uh what exactly?

Why would a bunch of people involved in this guy's clearly shady dealings want the police to reopen a cold case and poke their noses around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Pick posted:

It's been covered who those people are and why they'd have a vested interest. Like, you don't exclusively verify a nasty rumor with someone's enemies, including people who embezzled your money.

I would say as far as "vested interest" goes sounds like no one has a bigger one than carol...
Like in the doc she says alzheimers and now recently she says bipolar lol

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Look either way I'm fine he's dead, if she killed him then more power to her.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Pick posted:

There, was that so hard?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't think she did it though. Like the easiest answer is the dumbass wandered off in Costa Rica or some poo poo. Went off the road driving into a lake. People died in the 90s

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That dude sucked at not dying in the 90's. It's weird that no one noticed until he died in the 90's.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

Wasnt he like 45 and she was like 17 when he gave her a gun and took her to a motel room after picking her up on the side of the road?

Like, imagine the poo poo he got up to that you didn't hear about in the documentary...

:murder:

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I knew Doc was a creep as soon as I saw he had that pony tail

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

I don't think she did it though. Like the easiest answer is the dumbass wandered off in Costa Rica or some poo poo. Went off the road driving into a lake. People died in the 90s

Look all I’m saying is, you want to talk infectious diseases you talk to Dr. Fauci. You want to talk about people murdering their spouses you talk to OJ.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I don’t think she fed her husband to tigers or a meat grinder, though her comments on sardine oil are hilarious in that context.

Between the “business” and what I’m going to assume was some pretty questionable sex tourism, I’m guessing all she would have needed to do was let the right person in Costa Rica know he was coming and the problem would sort itself out.

In short, she might not have killed him, but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if she made it easy for him to die.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Blue Moonlight posted:

I don’t think she fed her husband to tigers or a meat grinder, though her comments on sardine oil are hilarious in that context.

Between the “business” and what I’m going to assume was some pretty questionable sex tourism, I’m guessing all she would have needed to do was let the right person in Costa Rica know he was coming and the problem would sort itself out.

In short, she might not have killed him, but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if she made it easy for him to die.

So you think she killed him

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SilkyP posted:

I knew Doc was a creep as soon as I saw he had that pony tail

I thought the show was about tigers!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/nuclearkatie/status/1249917284098981894?s=19

https://twitter.com/nuclearkatie/status/1250103947471269894?s=19

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
If you draw the short straw you get a job as cobalt engraver

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
what drives me wild is the amount of people who have come out of tiger king thinking

'big cat rescue is the same as a road side zoo'

I'm genuinely curious if the documentary actually covered the differences between BCR and the conditions the animals are kept in at places like Joe Exotics
what it takes to get accredited internationally as a big cat sanctuary
Or the fact that it is pretty much illegal to release most of the animals (usually rescued from private 'collectors') at BCR back into the wild, since that is the big thing everyone is flooding their youtube vids to complain about
when you have an elderly tiger that has been declawed and privately owned it's whole life, it's choices are the 'retirement home' of a sanctuary or being put down, everyone is saying 'if BCR cared about the animals they'd be releasing them' and it boggles my mind how ill-informed of a position that is, and how easy it is to find that they do rehab and release the animals that 1) they are legally allowed to and 2) can be safely returned

and

'joe exotic is sympathetic somehow'

this i don't understand in the slightest
they did cover what happens to the tigers he trades in if they aren't rescued, right? the private tiger trade is a meat grinder and once they aren't cute anymore, they end up butchered for parts
i heard the deliberately cut out some of his racist tirades for 'lacking context' which is hilarious considering the stuff they left in

note that none of this is about Carole Baskin because who gives a gently caress

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Is this true? If so I had no idea they had any kind of effective treatment other than pump full of painkillers and wait for death.

https://twitter.com/greub1/status/1250143131531706370?s=20

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Isn't the problem with radiation toxicity that you're not going to see the effects until your cells start being replaced? Which is why high-replacement parts of the body show impacts way faster.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

capitaldelendaest posted:

'joe exotic is sympathetic somehow'

Joe isn't sympathetic to most people imho. He's interesting, unique, entertaining -- and most important, appears to be authentic in his bull poo poo. There are very few charismatic portrayals of rural America in media that aren't pathetically contrived. Same reason why people in Appalachia like Jesco White despite the fact that he is an abuser, totally insane, and practically got his own lovely father killed.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

joshtothemaxx posted:

Joe isn't sympathetic to most people imho. He's interesting, unique, entertaining -- and most important, appears to be authentic in his bull poo poo. There are very few charismatic portrayals of rural America in media that aren't pathetically contrived. Same reason why people in Appalachia like Jesco White despite the fact that he is an abuser, totally insane, and practically got his own lovely father killed.

agreed that joe is extremely charismatic, with a reminder to some that "charismatic" is not the same as "charming" or "likable"

in a media product, someone who is the central character of a story and is charismatic often ends up drawing sympathy because of the way narrative works in the human mind

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
the Gul Dukat factor

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Remember the lady with four boyfriends who were going to raise the baby together?

https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20200325/jacksonville-man-jailed-in-abuse-of-5-week-old-baby

Content warning: extreme child abuse

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

joshtothemaxx posted:

you wouldn't know it by looking at BCR's youtube comments, but I get what you are driving at

it's ruined a genuinely nice little corner of animal rescue videos I follow : (
people were berating them for having a rehab+rescue bobcat is captivity
an animal that was
1) stated clearly it is only there until it is healthy enough to be released
2) was hit by a car and would have died without medical intervention!

the unnerving part is people believing what they want to believe and taking it out on an accredited animal sanctuary

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
As an apology for bringing that up again here is some content

https://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/bly/madhouse/madhouse.html
"10 Days in a Madhouse" Classic 19th century investigative reporting

http://wwaspsurvivors.com/survivor-testimony/
testimony from survivors of the troubled teen industry, a rabbit hole of profit, child abuse, and legal loopholes
read with care it is enraging and depressing

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Advance warning that this is depressing as all hell: The Devastating Decline of a Brilliant Young Coder.

quote:

Lee Holloway programmed internet security firm Cloudflare into being. But then he became apathetic, distant, and unpredictable—for a long time, no one could make sense of it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
:smith:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pick posted:

Remember the lady with four boyfriends who were going to raise the baby together?

https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20200325/jacksonville-man-jailed-in-abuse-of-5-week-old-baby

gently caress that guy.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Losing myself to mental degradation like that, or Alzheimer’s or any of the other similar things is my greatest fear, yeah. Ain’t nobody deserve that fate. :smithicide:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Brb, getting an MRI

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

That awkward moment when your airline's star pilot takes off without clearance and kills 583 people.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I know I've asked this a couple of times in various threads, but if anyone can find the old Ask/Tell thread by the X-Ray weld inspector, please link it. The story I clearly remember was the tale of a supervisor who picked up what looked like a small spring from a retractable pen and put it in his back pocket, not realizing that it was a Cobalt-60 source, which was only revealed when he mentioned it to one of the technicians. The technician slapped it out of his hand, which suffered severe radiation burns, and its time in his back pocket led to the titular reference to his as "the man whose rear end rotted off."

capitaldelendaest posted:

As an apology for bringing that up again here is some content

https://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/bly/madhouse/madhouse.html
"10 Days in a Madhouse" Classic 19th century investigative reporting
I read this recently and now American Horror Story is on my list of shows to watch that will take four times as long as the heat death of the universe.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pick posted:

I hate this so, so much

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I'm not even going to click. poo poo everywhere sucks enough. I think I'll stick with something upbeat, like murder

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

GWBBQ posted:

I know I've asked this a couple of times in various threads, but if anyone can find the old Ask/Tell thread by the X-Ray weld inspector, please link it. The story I clearly remember was the tale of a supervisor who picked up what looked like a small spring from a retractable pen and put it in his back pocket, not realizing that it was a Cobalt-60 source, which was only revealed when he mentioned it to one of the technicians. The technician slapped it out of his hand, which suffered severe radiation burns, and its time in his back pocket led to the titular reference to his as "the man whose rear end rotted off."

I read this recently and now American Horror Story is on my list of shows to watch that will take four times as long as the heat death of the universe.

Is he one they basically didn't mercy kill so they could record his death for science? Or was that another guy.

Telsa Cola has a new favorite as of 07:40 on Apr 17, 2020

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Different guy.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
There may be multiple "those guys". The one I know of (outside of Chernobyl victims) is Hisashi Ouchi, who was involved in the Tokaimura criticality incident. (The one with the bucket.)

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Ah thank you. While we are on the topic, was there a case where some Russian guys found something (I forget what) while camping that was warm as gently caress so they used it as a heat source for their camp with predictable results or was that a fever dream I had.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phy posted:

There may be multiple "those guys". The one I know of (outside of Chernobyl victims) is Hisashi Ouchi, who was involved in the Tokaimura criticality incident. (The one with the bucket.)

Extremely cursed name. Ouch-ey. :supaburn:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Telsa Cola posted:

Ah thank you. While we are on the topic, was there a case where some Russian guys found something (I forget what) while camping that was warm as gently caress so they used it as a heat source for their camp with predictable results or was that a fever dream I had.

No that happened. I think it was a lighthouse?

e: https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2002-feb-01-mn-25823-story.html

Milo and POTUS has a new favorite as of 09:30 on Apr 17, 2020

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
If we are on the "Person picks up random stuff and woops radioactivity!" track, let's not forget this one from Brazil:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goi%E2nia_accident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Similar to that one there's the Samut Prakan accident from Thailand. Tl;dr--a hospital had an old cobalt-60 radiation source it had been using for radiation therapy, but upgraded to a new one. It sold the old unit back to the distributor, but the manufacturer (Siemens) no longer manufactured or supported cobalt-60 radiotherapy units, so... the radiation source ended up in a disused parking lot. This was relatively okay as long as the metal container was still sealed, but somebody saw a big metal thing and figured it was probably worth some money, so they swiped it from the parking lot and sold it for scrap. It found its way to a scrapyard, where the workers decided to cut it into more usable pieces with a blowtorch. By the time anyone figured out what was going on, ten people had received serious doses of radiation. Three ended up dying.

The Wiki page for civilian radiation accidents actually has a bunch of listings for accidents involving improper or insecure disposal of those cobalt therapy units.