Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Don't forget most of the Traveler community in the UK aren't Roma (and there are historic tensions that lead Irish Travelers and other non-Roma European Traveler communities to dislike being bundled in with the Roma).
Yeah, I'd go with anti-Traveller sentiment, I think that's what GATE preferred last I heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

It's communal tensions all the way down. :smith:

I heard Gypsies being commonly and, let's say, not intentionally pejoratively, being called Zigeuner and tzigane when I was a kid. Rom is definitely the preferred name these days though.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Angepain posted:

the clapping is okay in Leith because i don't think many people voted tory around here. i may court the ire of the thread here but i did a bit of clapping myself tbh just because it seemed nicer than just sitting by the window not doing anything

Haven't heard poo poo at any point in my place in a quiet back street in Barking.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
So has anyone else noticed how Peston and Laura K aren't getting their little "exclusives" around 11pm since Big Brain Dommy had it on his toes from Downing Street?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So has anyone else noticed how Peston and Laura K aren't getting their little "exclusives" around 11pm since Big Brain Dommy had it on his toes from Downing Street?

I completely missed this:

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-04-14/dominic-cummings-coronavirus/

quote:

The prime minister's top aide Dominic Cummings has returned to work in 10 Downing Street following a period of self-isolation.

etc

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Huh, I assume that Boris left his mobile at Downing Street then.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Munin posted:

It's communal tensions all the way down. :smith:

I heard Gypsies being commonly and, let's say, not intentionally pejoratively, being called Zigeuner and tzigane when I was a kid. Rom is definitely the preferred name these days though.

In Belgium, 'zigeuner' is still the commonly used term even though 'Roma-zigeuner' is the one accepted as correct. All my comic books also used to call all of them zigeuners, but fortunately did not all treat them as all being thieves and criminals.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
*eyes that one Viz strip*

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Pennfalath posted:

In Belgium, 'zigeuner' is still the commonly used term even though 'Roma-zigeuner' is the one accepted as correct. All my comic books also used to call all of them zigeuners, but fortunately did not all treat them as all being thieves and criminals.

Yeah, French wise I mostly saw Roma in bande dessinée (classic French style comics) and there while they were treated as exotic it was mostly in a favorable light. Same with most of the children's literature I read in German.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Shame about actual France.

(Not that the UK has any moral high ground on that one, now we elected an explicitly anti-Traveller government.)

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
And everything surrounding Dale Farm...

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Shame about actual France.

(Not that the UK has any moral high ground on that one, now we elected an explicitly anti-Traveller government.)

Yeah.

To me the funny thing is that it's not something that was propagandized from childhood and I feel that attitudes have definitely hardened as capitalist and property first thinking have become more and more prominent. Then again it's probably just me becoming more aware of these things over time rather than being an oblivious kid.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Total Meatlove posted:

And everything surrounding Dale Farm...
That was a giant whole mess between English Gypsies and Irish Travellers as well as the local residents and council being racist wasn't it, or am I confusing that with another site?

But yeah we've not had an very good record with Travelling people since that whole enclosure of the Commons thing.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
okay i'm ok with the clapping in general in most situations but which care worker is looking at this and saying, yes, this is helping, this helps me

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1250986608842674177

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
OK confess - who's in the whatsapp group for this band?

quote:

“Sometimes you’ll open your phone and there’ll be 2,000 messages, and they’re all bickering for 45 minutes about vegetable crisps,”

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/dec/27/sports-team-the-indie-stars-romanticising-middle-england

Some really boring and tedious sounding band.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
p sure they've just wanted to do doughnuts with the ferry for years and now they've finally got an excuse

...but it's for the NHS!

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider
I really really really wanna zig-a-zig-ahhh

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
brb doing some burnouts on southend sea front but it's for the nhs so you have to clap

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Yeah I mean if I operated a ferry and suddenly had an excuse to go hog wild I definitely would

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

XMNN posted:

p sure they've just wanted to do doughnuts with the ferry for years and now they've finally got an excuse

...but it's for the NHS!

Lol yes it's this. You can't just sneak off to a country park forest in the early hours and pull donuts with the sirens on like the police do. You volunteer to do the late shift so you finally have your chance :hehe:

Looks like there are cars on the deck so you'd hope the passengers had forewarning, especially if they were elderly :/

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
So the updated lockdown advice that lets you drive places to go for a walk as long as you walk more than you drive also says if you're about to throttle the missus you can go stay with a friend for a few days. But it has to be a few days.

Does this mean the kids can be packed off to the grandparents down the road for a few days? For parental well being?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

i'm glad to see that bands can still rise from nothing, mere humble origins of all going to cambridge. "These are the middle-class kids who might have turned to rap, but now have, in Sports Team, a band singing about their lives." is a hell of a sentence

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/dec/27/sports-team-the-indie-stars-romanticising-middle-england

Aren't they the lads that grew weed in Lock Stock?

Curtains boy stole my workshirts.

Angepain posted:

i'm glad to see that bands can still rise from nothing, mere humble origins of all going to cambridge. "These are the middle-class kids who might have turned to rap, but now have, in Sports Team, a band singing about their lives." is a hell of a sentence
Finally, someone giving a voice to the voiceless.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Surely that's a stock photo for "wellness gurus". Someone will swipe that and use it to flog jade eggs before the day is out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Plain White Teens.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Beige has a sound.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Kool-Aid & the Gang

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
The Gap Band

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Rice says “we’re all pretty Labour”, but “not tribal ... that Idles record, just coming out with a ‘gently caress Boris’ attitude, it’s the tritest, cheapest form of politics. We’ve got this opportunity to be really subtle and actually engage people, rather than just trotting out talking points.” A union-jack-wearing character in their song The Races appears to be your typical side of Tory gammon – “He’ll never buy you a drink / But he’ll let you know he can” – but Rice says “there’s always an empathetic take. Even Kutcher, about a guy who’s frustrated with his haircut, is quite an empathetic portrayal.”

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Just done a back-garden haircut with the clippers and then sat in on an hour-long videocall while trying to keep the camera still enough that no-one could see the assorted detritus in my room.
Fun times.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Angepain posted:

Rice says “we’re all pretty Labour”, but “not tribal ... that Idles record, just coming out with a ‘gently caress Boris’ attitude, it’s the tritest, cheapest form of politics. We’ve got this opportunity to be really subtle and actually engage people, rather than just trotting out talking points.” A union-jack-wearing character in their song The Races appears to be your typical side of Tory gammon – “He’ll never buy you a drink / But he’ll let you know he can” – but Rice says “there’s always an empathetic take. Even Kutcher, about a guy who’s frustrated with his haircut, is quite an empathetic portrayal.”

Are these loving limp-dicked tosswipes badmouthing IDLES?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

quote:

Cambridge graduates

Imagine my shock

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

Lol yes it's this. You can't just sneak off to a country park forest in the early hours and pull donuts with the sirens on like the police do. You volunteer to do the late shift so you finally have your chance :hehe:

Looks like there are cars on the deck so you'd hope the passengers had forewarning, especially if they were elderly :/

That's about as fast as the ferry turns when docking, they tell you to stay in your car (or sit down if a foot passenger) for a reason. Admittedly it's only normally a 90 degree turn, (sometimes it's a 270 when the current is loving around), but those ferries can loving *shift*.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I figure as a river ferry it's probably 90% maneuvering thrusters but it's still impressive.

Guess shallow draft helps too.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

There's a fair amount of date around whether that should be the term, because it was borrowed from the German 'Antiziganismus', which was treated as a good thing by Nazis and proto-Nazis (but so was anti-Semitism, so :can:), but also because 'zigan' and 'zig' are deemed slurs (at least in Eastern Europe, but they don't sound like nice words even in English).

The more straightforward 'anti-Gypsyism' was proposed as an English replacement, but 'gypsy' is called a slur by US and Canadian Roma.

I think Romaphobia is the most concise, but 'anti-Traveller sentiment' seems to be the most widely agreed upon one. I know that 99% of people who say antiziganism aren't going to be using it in the Antiziganismus ist patriotisch sense.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romani_people posted:

English tzigane ... from Greek ἀθίγγανος athínganos (corrupted form: τσιγγάνος tsingános), "untouchable"
And if you read around it comes from the name given to some early Christian sect who were excommunicated and may or may not actually be related to the people the term now refers to.

"Zigeuner" is considered a slur in German but is also still a pretty common term - there was some uproar about Baden-Württemberg banning restaurants referring to a dish as Zigeunerschnitzel (now Balkanschnitzel).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I figure as a river ferry it's probably 90% maneuvering thrusters but it's still impressive.

Guess shallow draft helps too.

IIRC they're those weird horizontal helicopter drive things that tugs use so they're basically 100% maneuvering thrusters.

e: These things, but I can't find the spec of the current ferries so I'm still not sure if that's what they use.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/breeallegretti/status/1251103002703925248?s=21

JLM doing great work promoting their anti-racist bona fides.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Look there is racism and then there is racism, okay :catstare:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/doubledownnews/status/1250868964185518080?s=21

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Pretty impressive trolling of their own readership there