Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Barry Convex posted:

Netflix has renewed Locke & Key for S2, and cancelled two other IDW adaptations, V-Wars and October Faction, which nobody watched.

well, OK, I watched October Faction. it's bingeable enough but not very good at all, you didn't miss much

Was V-Wars adapted from the IDW graphic novels, or from the novels/short story anthologies?

Fake Edit: Actually not sure how much it matters since the author(and editor for short stories collections) for both is the same person.

Fake Fake Edit: Wikipedia says both used for source material of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I watched 5 episodes of V Wars and it's immeasurably stupid.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I watched the first episode of October Faction with my partner and noped the gently caress out of that.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

bessantj posted:

Is the Batwoman show any good?

Tried watching an ep and immediately got turned off by how much it resembled a dull soap opera

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Locke and Keye has some of the most frustratingly stupid and inept characters (Worse than the Umbrella Academy) but it has potential.

V Wars was utter trash. Completely stupid and I regret watching it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shageletic posted:

Tried watching an ep and immediately got turned off by how much it resembled a dull soap opera

That's what I said.

Skwirl posted:

It's definitely a CW comic book show. That should tell you enough to know if you should give it a chance or not.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how Luke Wilson looks like he just wondered into the production shoot in the poster for Stargirl.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

twistedmentat posted:

I like how Luke Wilson looks like he just wondered into the production shoot in the poster for Stargirl.

do the costumes look bad even by CW standards or is it just me

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Watching the CoIE crossover and was surprised to see Lucifer appear on there. Always thought they'd consider that completely different from the rest of the shows and as it's only getting one more season (for the moment anyway) then it's surprising they bothered. I did watch the Black Lightening episode such as it was and it seemed to most comic book episode of the show.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bessantj posted:

Watching the CoIE crossover and was surprised to see Lucifer appear on there. Always thought they'd consider that completely different from the rest of the shows and as it's only getting one more season (for the moment anyway) then it's surprising they bothered.

Tom Ellis seems to love the role so I'm not surprised they included him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bessantj posted:

Watching the CoIE crossover and was surprised to see Lucifer appear on there. Always thought they'd consider that completely different from the rest of the shows and as it's only getting one more season (for the moment anyway) then it's surprising they bothered. I did watch the Black Lightening episode such as it was and it seemed to most comic book episode of the show.

Lurdiak posted:

Tom Ellis seems to love the role so I'm not surprised they included him.

Yeah, I think they asked anyone and everyone connected with DC in any capacity they had contact info for about a cameo. Tom Ellis was playing Lucifer, but that clearly wasn't the same LA as from his show, and I guarantee if the next season of Lucifer ever comes out (they've stopped filming, because, you know) it won't be acknowledged beyond a wink, if even that.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It's supposed to take place before the series starts, I think according to Guggenheim, so there isn't much of a reason for him to even then. I choose to believe it's the same one, just like Constantine is the same one from the NBC series. It's just... different artists drawing them. You know, like in comics.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I think they asked anyone and everyone connected with DC in any capacity they had contact info for about a cameo. Tom Ellis was playing Lucifer, but that clearly wasn't the same LA as from his show, and I guarantee if the next season of Lucifer ever comes out (they've stopped filming, because, you know) it won't be acknowledged beyond a wink, if even that.

I don't suppose it needs to be acknowledged does it. People who care will know and people who don't won't care.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Finished CoIE (Well except for the Batwoman episode which I will have to wait several weeks for). Thought it was decent enough overall, forgot how much I liked Rory's character.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Disney gets the rights to Iron Fist and Luke Cage in Oct. of this year, Daredevil in Nov 20, and Punisher and Jessica Jones in Feb of 2021.

https://thedirect.com/article/breaking-down-when-each-netflix-heros-rights-return-to-marvel-studios

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

JJ Abrams is producing a Justice League Dark series for the HBO Max streaming service. No details yet on if this means they're poaching Matt Ryan from Legends but I can't imagine they'd do a series without Constantine and it would be pretty stupid to recast him at this point.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
speaking of, i miss legends

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

muscles like this! posted:

JJ Abrams is producing a Justice League Dark series for the HBO Max streaming service. No details yet on if this means they're poaching Matt Ryan from Legends but I can't imagine they'd do a series without Constantine and it would be pretty stupid to recast him at this point.

Wasn't del Toro supposed to be making a Justice League Dark movie?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Davros1 posted:

Disney gets the rights to Iron Fist and Luke Cage in Oct. of this year, Daredevil in Nov 20, and Punisher and Jessica Jones in Feb of 2021.

https://thedirect.com/article/breaking-down-when-each-netflix-heros-rights-return-to-marvel-studios

this is semantic nitpicking but they never lost the rights, they just can't do anything with them until that clause is up

Madkal posted:

years ago, yes. it's been dead for a while, don't think it ever got very far

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Madkal posted:

Multiple people tried but it never got off the ground.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

muscles like this! posted:

This is what I figured they were working towards when they kicked of the DC streaming service with Swamp Thing. I'm tentatively excited, but I dislike pretty much everything JJ Abrams has been involved with for the past decade. I hope he doesn't have too much to do with the creative side of the production.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i cant imagine how smooth your brain would have to be to watch star wars 9 and be like yeah lets get that guy

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

At most he's probably going to direct a pilot and that's about it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

i cant imagine how smooth your brain would have to be to watch star wars 9 and be like yeah lets get that guy

Maybe Lindelof went to bat for him.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
They should poach Constantine and Gary and make it very clear that Legends is canon.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

site posted:

JJ signed his overall deal with Warner well before Rise of Skywalker came out.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
That and he has a very rare skill: he can have something passable in by a deadline. I'm pretty sure that that plus what nerd cred still has left from the Star Wars, Star Trek and Lost are probably main reasons why he's kept around.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I suspect a lot of the problems with Rise had more to do with Disney than with Abrams.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

I suspect a lot of the problems with Rise had more to do with Disney than with Abrams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKOQWbTdxy8

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

site posted:

He is an incredibly succesful producer who hands it in on time. Rise Of Skywalker is terrible, but it was also made in half the time of a regular Star Wars movie.
Within the industry, he's probably seen as a miracle worker.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Let's not forget that JJ also delivers where it counts, literally, as far as studio execs are concerned. Rise of Skywalker made over a billion dollars worldwide, more than half a billion in the USA alone. That the movie is a badly paced mess that no one's really happy with doesn't matter to the guys who cut the checks. They see a billion reasons why you're wrong.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
And why is it wrong to enjoy Rise of Skywalker? Oh, wait, this SA's Finer Arts section...That explains everything.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

And why is it wrong to enjoy Rise of Skywalker? Oh, wait, this SA's Finer Arts section...That explains everything.

Because it's a poo poo movie that's almost universally reviled.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I enjoyed it, but it is a bad, bad movie.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekEVLUmKHN0

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

twistedmentat posted:

I enjoyed it, but it is a bad, bad movie.

I enjoyed it, but it did some bad stuff and elevated some other bad ideas.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I generally have a hard time liking a movie that spends 90% of the run time making GBS threads on things that came before it, which is weird because I liked The Last Jedi for a better part.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think Rise of Skywalker was mostly embarrassing all around and an exercise in some profoundly messy heteronormativity but, to be honest, the worst part of it might be how it has emboldened The Last Jedi stans to be all "See, we were right all along! Star Wars is better when it's darker!!" Actually they're both bad, y'all. They're both bad for different reasons, even unpreventable ones. :sweatdrop: But in retrospect they were both never gonna be anything but bad because we can clearly now see the producers had zero idea whatsoever where they wanted the story to go from one chapter to the next. It's like having R.A. Salvatore write the first book of a series, and then for some reason George RR Martin is allowed to do whatever he wants in the second book, and then handing it back to Salvatore because [train rolls by, drowning out all sound]

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BrianWilly posted:

I think Rise of Skywalker was mostly embarrassing all around and an exercise in some profoundly messy heteronormativity but, to be honest, the worst part of it might be how it has emboldened The Last Jedi stans to be all "See, we were right all along! Star Wars is better when it's darker!!" Actually they're both bad, y'all. They're both bad for different reasons, even unpreventable ones. :sweatdrop: But in retrospect they were both never gonna be anything but bad because we can clearly now see the producers had zero idea whatsoever where they wanted the story to go from one chapter to the next. It's like having R.A. Salvatore write the first book of a series, and then for some reason George RR Martin is allowed to do whatever he wants in the second book, and then handing it back to Salvatore because [train rolls by, drowning out all sound]

Ugggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Star Wars isn’t a comic property so we should stop talking about it here before something like that happens again.