Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nancy's got another video to shoot of her $20,000 refrigerator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Bifner McDoogle posted:

Do you have any data supporting the assertion that Americans believe that their country is immune to election fraud? Both parties assume it is a major issue, I've learned bout the history of it in every school I went to (across public schools in the South and Northeast, including a school on an Air Force Base where the principal bizarrely took time out of a 4th grade history class to explain the Kennedy assassination and its surrounding theories).

Not saying you're wrong here, but your response is so counter to my experience, education and the current political stances of both mainstream parties that it honestly comes off as either condescending knee jerk nationalism from someone outside the US, or a half-baked thought that slipped out after one too many edibles. You seem like a decent dude so I'm assuming the latter (it's where I'm at after all) but want to nip the potential nationalist assumptions in the bud, before simmering said bud in oil and turning it into a delicious set of weed cookies.

Conservatives recently have started to much more broadly believe in a purely self-serving version of it that is more a dog whistle cover for racist efforts to suppress minority turnout than actually believing that illegitimate efforts are being undertaken. While similar in some ways, it's not the same thing. Similarly, the left mostly considers it real only insofar as efforts to suppress minority voters can be called voter fraud. There's also a phenomenon where when people believe a system is being cheated they'll try to cheat as well. 2000 and 2008 both had some impact on perceived election integrity, but surprisingly little.

It's really the left that tends to be particularly credulous. Anyways I raised this in a wishy washy way because I don't have any concrete direction to point it in other than the absolute historical constant of people on all sides doing everything possible to gently caress with elections.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/196976/update-americans-confidence-voting-election.aspx

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Obviously this is McConnell's fault for putting the senate in recess, but why can't the House be passing aid bills in the meantime and then attacking McConnell for ignoring it

This seems like an easy layup

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It's really the left that tends to be particularly credulous.

A good example of this is the DNC sending plants for CNN to call on in their town halls. People who worked for the Democratic party but were identified as "a Maryland voter" or "a former schoolteacher" or whatever.

Even after their true employment was revealed you had tons of people in here insisting it must have been a total coincidence that they all just absent-mindedly forgot who their current employer was and then happened to get called on by CNN to ask their ridiculous loaded questions.

I think at least part of the answer is how the corporate media is one of the most successful propaganda operations in history. People believe that watching the news is what makes you an informed person, and they are extremely resistant to the idea that anything else other than neutral objecting informing is going on.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

Obviously this is McConnell's fault for putting the senate in recess, but why can't the House be passing aid bills in the meantime and then attacking McConnell for ignoring it

This seems like an easy layup

the house has passed dozens if not hundreds of great bills that the senate ignored and attacked McConnell over it. the fact that almost nobody knows this is the case is a testament to how well it works.

but as to your specific question: the house cannot do anything without congregating in person (a bad idea right now) except by unanimous consent (which republicans would object to right now), so Pelosi would need to convince everyone to come back to DC and meet in person (though doing this carefully to pass new rules re: remote voting seems like it would be a good idea) and so there you gotta weigh the real risk of spreading covid among an at-risk population vs the political benefit.

edit: rereading this post makes me realize that the comment someone recently made on my writing, that I should limit the use of parentheses to maybe once per paragraph and any more made it much less readable, was quite accurate

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 17, 2020

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Pelosi said yesterday she'd be be in favor of remote voting though it looks like it would need both sides to sign off. Would something like this need a house bill to pass and for the senate to sign off? Bit ironic considering the recess.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/493182-rules-chairman-advises-pelosi-to-back-remove-voting

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

VitalSigns posted:

there's a ton of orientalist crap about how Asian peoples are naturally predisposed to authoritarian governments so this is not true at all

especially not for the American public lmao

(I'm not saying all criticism of China's government is this, but blaming China's government for poo poo Trump did definitely is this. Criticizing China's government for withholding information is valid, blaming the US government's response on this is obviously not valid because the US government didn't respond even after Italy's example was plain to all)

I was typing up basically the same thing but you beat me to it. There is tons of writing and critical analysis on the ubiquity of Orientalist influence is Western politics and discourse, right down to the deliberate propensity of area studies in academia to churn out wonks who write variations on the same "We can't trust those inscrutable Chinese" article every year. Just look at all the articles that assume the reason why South Korea had a strong response to the pandemic was "Asian predisposition to trusting their government and a culture of efficiency".

It is very possible to criticize a government, even China, without racism but very few entities or individuals in the US care to take the time or effort to do because it's in there interest not to.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

VitalSigns posted:

there's a ton of orientalist crap about how Asian peoples are naturally predisposed to authoritarian governments so this is not true at all

especially not for the American public lmao

(I'm not saying all criticism of China's government is this, but blaming China's government for poo poo Trump did definitely is this. Criticizing China's government for withholding information is valid, blaming the US government's response on this is obviously not valid because the US government didn't respond even after Italy's example was plain to all)

I see you deliberately cut off the part of my post that counters this arguement, so let me reiterate:

Bifner McDoogle posted:

The real thing to be on the lookout for are vague terms used to place blame across the Chinese people as a whole, like calling the virus the "Chinese" virus. To help relay the difference, experiment between swapping "Chinese" with "Jewish" and "Chinese government" with "Israeli Government". There's a lot of dog whistling by racists trying to muddy the waters to justify atrocities here, but there's a big difference between saying "Jewish people withheld info that damaged the US" and "the Israeli government withheld info that damaged the US". Ones an obvious racial dog whistle, the other is well-justified criticism and you can gauruntee politicians are gonna try to muddy things up.

People seriously loving hate Jews, as in someone in Massachusettes just tried to blow up a Jewish Assissted Living Center yesterday. We can still criticize Isreal without being racist to Jews, just like we can criticize the CCP without being racist to the Chinese. To believe otherwise is to assume that one cannot criticize a government without criticizing not just it's people, but it's race.

Through your lovely arguement you've unintentionally worked yourself into a position where we can't criticize the Chinese government because it's an ethno-nationalist state that perfectly represents its people (or is at least widely believed to be, despite everyone seeing it as Authoritarian at the same time) so such criticisms are racist. Do you assume the same thing about Isreal, or are you an unintentionally funny hack that couldn't cut it at the high school debate club?

Bifner McDoogle fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 17, 2020

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Louisgod posted:

Pelosi said yesterday she'd be be in favor of remote voting though it looks like it would need both sides to sign off. Would something like this need a house bill to pass and for the senate to sign off? Bit ironic considering the recess.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/493182-rules-chairman-advises-pelosi-to-back-remove-voting

You need unanimous consent or an in-person vote (Massie would probably object). Makes sense to just do it along with the next in-person vote you’d need anyway rather than do it when it might not be needed.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Early US cases almost certainly came from China btw. The US did literally nothing to restrict travel for weeks and weeks as the outbreak raged and there's a huge amount of international travel between all parts of China and the US. This is born out by the most common early strains of covid found in the US (and australia for that matter, which shares a similar travel situation) being the chinese variants as opposed to the different variant prominent in europe.

Still doesn't make all the anti-chinese stuff not wildly xenophobic blame shifting that should be obvious to everyone. Anti-Chinese racism has long been an entirely bipartisan phenomenon and it ties into nearly two centuries of american classism. It's really deeply engrained

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Bifner McDoogle posted:

I see you deliberately cut off the part of my post that counters this arguement, so let me reiterate:
I cut it out because it was irrelevant and it didn't counter anything

Bifner McDoogle posted:

Through your lovely arguement you've unintentionally worked yourself into a position where we can't criticize the Chinese government because it's an ethno-nationalist state that perfectly represents its people, so such criticisms are racist.

No I haven't I explicitly said you can criticize the Chinese government, read what I said again.

VitalSigns posted:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Bifner McDoogle posted:

Through your lovely arguement you've unintentionally worked yourself into a position where we can't criticize the Chinese government because it's an ethno-nationalist state that perfectly represents its people (or is at least widely believed to be, despite everyone seeing it as Authoritarian at the same time) so such criticisms are racist. Do you assume the same thing about Isreal, or are you an unintentionally funny hack that couldn't cut it at the high school debate club?

Neither I nor VS said anything about the Chinese government being beyond criticism or somehow perfectly representative of its people, you're making a bunch of blanket statements to misconstrue the argument at hand here.

That you chose to use Israel, a state that overtly leans into ethnonationalism as a way to deflect criticism, as your counterfactual here by way of referencing an anti-Semitic attack here in the US is the real joke, btw.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

evilweasel posted:

the house has passed dozens if not hundreds of great bills that the senate ignored and attacked McConnell over it. the fact that almost nobody knows this is the case is a testament to how well it works.

but as to your specific question: the house cannot do anything without congregating in person (a bad idea right now) except by unanimous consent (which republicans would object to right now), so Pelosi would need to convince everyone to come back to DC and meet in person (though doing this carefully to pass new rules re: remote voting seems like it would be a good idea) and so there you gotta weigh the real risk of spreading covid among an at-risk population vs the political benefit.

edit: rereading this post makes me realize that the comment someone recently made on my writing, that I should limit the use of parentheses to maybe once per paragraph and any more made it much less readable, was quite accurate

yeah but there's a lot more focus on congress right now due to the crisis, the House being in session passing bills while McConnell stays at home would make it clear who's really at fault here, normally there's not this much media focus on congress and people don't really know what the House is passing. Aside, this is a good reason bicameralism is a bad idea.

essential workers are risking their lives every day to hold the country together, if our government can't step up to their public service duties like Piggly Wiggly stockers are, maybe it's time for our geriatric reps to retire. They should be careful about meeting obviously, and ideally they should pass remote voting legislation, but just staying home isn't acceptable imo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bellmaker posted:

Baby get badder news today? He’s pretty colicky

I would guess it's due to the news that the emergency small business assistance fund just ran dry so the economy has returned to imploding at the previous, higher rate

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Conservatives recently have started to much more broadly believe in a purely self-serving version of it that is more a dog whistle cover for racist efforts to suppress minority turnout than actually believing that illegitimate efforts are being undertaken. While similar in some ways, it's not the same thing. Similarly, the left mostly considers it real only insofar as efforts to suppress minority voters can be called voter fraud. There's also a phenomenon where when people believe a system is being cheated they'll try to cheat as well. 2000 and 2008 both had some impact on perceived election integrity, but surprisingly little.

It's really the left that tends to be particularly credulous. Anyways I raised this in a wishy washy way because I don't have any concrete direction to point it in other than the absolute historical constant of people on all sides doing everything possible to gently caress with elections.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/196976/update-americans-confidence-voting-election.aspx

Thanks, that's pretty illuminating. The drop off in 06-08 really does demonstrate what you're suggesting here - conservatives didn't care for whatever reason till they started losing, then started caring in a real disingenuous way. I guess more people in the 90's and early 00's assumed that electoral fraud was a thing of the past than I expected - must be a generational thing (my first election was 08' so I've always heard of it).

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
There are a lot of useful nuances that can be conveyed in a considered political argument that get completely lost in national partisan propaganda campaigns, such as the distinction between a government's corrupt actions and national/racial character.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

haveblue posted:

I would guess it's due to the news that the emergency small business assistance fund just ran dry so the economy has returned to imploding at the previous, higher rate
Well that, and that further proactive measures don't seem to be happening, despite double digit unemployment and massive hits to GDP.

Every day that passes is a possibility cloud of further stimulus collapsing into "This Is Fine" coffee drinking.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

Mat Cauthon posted:

Neither I nor VS said anything about the Chinese government being beyond criticism or somehow perfectly representative of its people, you're making a bunch of blanket statements to misconstrue the argument at hand here.

Look, I'm not saying you believe the Chinese government is beyond criticism. I know you and VS think otherwise. I'm demonstrating that the chain of logic you are using in this situation would force you to that conclusion because it has no nuance whatsoever. Its a rhetorical tool that demonstrates how absurd your thinking is.

Mat Cauthon posted:

That you chose to use Israel, a state that overtly leans into ethnonationalism as a way to deflect criticism, as your counterfactual here by way of referencing an anti-Semitic attack here in the US is the real joke, btw.

That's sort of the point, though. Israel (like China) is a genocidal ethnonationlist state. Americans are racist against Jews and the Chinese and commit horrible hate crimes against them. One of the things people use to try and justify their racism is to point out that that Israel and China are genocidal ethnonationlist states. That's a bullshit arguement because a state is different than the people it claims to represent. The inverse argument -that criticizing a government is racist - is bullshit for the same reason. When China kills a shitload of Uigher Muslims or botches a pandemic response and dismisses reporting on it as a racist conspiracy, that's bullshit. When Israel blows up a block of Palestinians and dismisses reporting on it as anti-Semitic, that's bullshit.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1251168994066944003

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1251169217531056130

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1251169987110330372

what the gently caress

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Uhhh. Is he calling for supporters to literally rise up?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

???????????

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

Flip Yr Wig posted:

There are a lot of useful nuances that can be conveyed in a considered political argument that get completely lost in national partisan propaganda campaigns, such as the distinction between a government's corrupt actions and national/racial character.

This is a smarter and more articulate post that communicates what I was trying to say before endless trash spewed out of my mouth and into my posts so I should leave it here.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Global trade is dying Cloud.

https://splash247.com/liner-bankruptcy-potential-spreads-in-step-with-the-coronavirus/

https://splash247.com/liner-bankruptcy-potential-at-highest-levels-recorded/

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

He is pissed because the gop got curbed super hard in those places.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Trump putting himself in direct opposition to the ridiculously popular local governments of these states is such a loving stupid strategy Jesus Christ.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
totally normal thing for the president to say

:tif:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Whelp, time to go on the weekly grocery run

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

I think, and I'm being very generous with my interpretation, that he's calling for opposition to those states' governors and electing Republicans. It can't be about opening up businesses there since it's specifically targeted. It is couched in violent rhetoric because 90% of everything from the right is couched in violent rhetoric.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Well, piss baby's awake. So stay at home is now code for "we're taking your guns".

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Lol it wasn’t even an original thought

https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1251171455901020160

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

What in the gently caress is Minnesota rising up against?

E: Holy poo poo it really is just part of the news feed he's watching.

Bifner McDoogle fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 17, 2020

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Bifner McDoogle posted:

What in the gently caress is Minnesota rising up against?

See my previous post.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Jesus christ has this useless orange turd done anything besides sit around and watch TV his entire presidency? I just can't even...

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I got a feeling that the second amendment part was Trump pretty much telling his supporters to kill someone and then after that happens he goes "oh I meant protect it in the polls". It's that whole second amendment solutions bullshit all over again. He is hoping some militias see his tweets.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jows posted:

Jesus christ has this useless orange turd done anything besides sit around and watch TV his entire presidency? I just can't even...

He's golfed.

Madkal posted:

I got a feeling that the second amendment part was Trump pretty much telling his supporters to kill someone and then after that happens he goes "oh I meant protect it in the polls". It's that whole second amendment solutions bullshit all over again. He is hoping some militias see his tweets.

It's because Virgina passed a new gun control bill.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

There Bias Two posted:

There's currently an astroturfed protest movement against the pandemic response in at least one of those states and I'd be surprised if we don't see more of the same in the near future so this is probably big orange baby responding to some news and figuring that he can maybe use it to rally the base or whatever.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Yeah for those unaware Virginia recently passed some new measure of gun control and its set off a whole new round of craziness among conservatives.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Weird thing to ask of Trudeau but sure.

:v:

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Very cool that the president is calling for an insurrection in my state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*