Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Do we have any idea where basque came from?

Either spawned fully formed from the ether or aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Xelkelvos posted:

Either spawned fully formed from the ether or aliens.

I think it was refugees from Lemuria or Mu

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

No. Popular and reasonable hypothesis is it's a remnant of whatever languages were in Europe before the Indo-European family, but nobody really knows.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's the universal language and all other languages were made up by Benedictine monks after the 5th century in order to suppress the peaceful and happy gnosticism of their ancestors

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

hmmm, this does not align with the phantom time hypothesis that the 7th-10th centuries never happened, but otherwise it's airtight

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I like how this map of etymology goes out of its way to both include Ceuta and Melilla and then not give their etymology because they're not provinces.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Cat Mattress posted:

I like how this map of etymology goes out of its way to both include Ceuta and Melilla and then not give their etymology because they're not provinces.

is kind of weird, ..

Spain has a principe territory (asturias), a Country (Pais Vasco), provinces that have "Community" in the name (Valencia, Madrid, Navarra ) and Ceuta and Melilla that are "autonomous cities".

Is like a really bad programmer was setting the names.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

There were "lost civilization" myths before even the colonization of the Americas, such as the Kingdom of Prester John.

The Kingdom of Prester John wasn't really a lost civilization myth. The people who believed in it thought it still existed and flourished, but it was difficult to travel to. But Europeans have been sharing lost civilization myths since Classical times. Of course, it's easy to imagine all sorts of lost civilizations when a trip to Africa or Persia is going to take you past the actual ruins of civilizations that are lost to you.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cat Mattress posted:

Not to compare the validity of the respective territory, but it’s like all those Chinese maps that depict the nine dashed line even if the sea is irrelevant to whatever data the map displays.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Edit: I guess Lucentum reflects the greek name for the Iberian settlement before that? But it doesn't seem the city was ever Greek so that seems a stretch.

Lucentum, literally “bright thing/place,” can only be interpreted very loosely as a calque of the Greek translation of the Punic name, Akre Leuke, meaning “white cliff.” The name origin is properly speaking Latin.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Wilipedia posted:

Since the Basque language is unrelated to Indo-European, it has long been thought to represent the people or culture that occupied Europe before the spread of Indo-European languages there. A comprehensive analysis of Basque genetic patterns has shown that Basque genetic uniqueness predates the arrival of agriculture in the Iberian Peninsula, about 7,000 years ago. It is thought that Basques are a remnant of the early inhabitants of Western Europe, specifically those of the Franco-Cantabrian region. Basque tribes were mentioned in Roman times by Strabo and Pliny, including the Vascones, the Aquitani, and others. There is enough evidence to support the hypothesis that at that time and later they spoke old varieties of the Basque language

link
So

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Basques are weird people on a awesome way. They are loving cool. They are progressive people in a weird way that also very attached to their roots. The food in the Basque country is amazing, high quantity and quality. Their land is some combination of hills and clouds, more clouds than hills, with the roads going trough the mountains and tight valley. Moss grown everywhere, and graffity art (some of it really cool). The air is special, like you are inside a underground civilization of cool elves/dwarf hybrids. They have these sports that are unique to them, like Jay-allay and others.

Part of the problem of Spain is that it feels more like a continent with diverse civilizations than a peninsula, so people completelly ignore the outside world has if don't exist. :(

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
This is some high intensity Spanish poo poo: "yeah I guess Basques are like a fantasy race that lives in the clouds idklol"

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Orange Devil posted:

This is some high intensity Spanish poo poo: "yeah I guess Basques are like a fantasy race that lives in the clouds idklol"

Is easier to put in words than to find images, because you are inside the clouds. You are never really sure if the clouds are sky clouds, or fog, clouds seems to roll down hills towards the sea.

Tei fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 17, 2020

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Well, one thing you have to hand to the Basques is, they did send the first Spaniard into outer space

latent lunatic
Sep 5, 2018

Grand Fromage posted:

No. Popular and reasonable hypothesis is it's a remnant of whatever languages were in Europe before the Indo-European family, but nobody really knows.
utterly wild guess: originally from the Balkans but entered the Iberian peninsula around 5-6th millenium BCE along with agriculture.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

omg thank you, I've been trying to find this for like 10 years. I used to troll him for the weirdest possible replies to my emails back when I was in middle school.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I've also read that they're not as genetically unique as you might think, although evidently still enough that studies such as the one you cited can trace their heritage. I've always wondered what exactly it was that allowed Basque to survive as literally the only pre-Indo-European language in Europe. It's not even in a particularly isolated region.

Orange Devil posted:

I kind of get it, I've never physically been there but it's always had a cool vibe and energy to me, especially during the eighties and nineties (though perhaps the terrorism/brutal repression should not be described as such). A ton of amazing punk and ska bands hail from there.

The Basque language itself isn't doing too well, as far as I'm aware. It's not critically endangered by any means, but even in the Basque Country a majority of the people seem to use (Castilian) Spanish in daily life.

This includes 'passive speakers', so the situation is more dire than it would appear. You can see that it's almost disappeared in most of Navarra (the southeastern part of the map), and France has also done a characteristically thorough job of exterminating it in its territory. That said, there's not necessarily a 1:1 relationship between Basque identity and the language.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 17, 2020

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

https://twitter.com/simongerman600/status/1251088269078560770?s=21

That really *is* an excellent fun fact

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Since I didn't know and you can't really tell, that's an exclave of Azerbaijan between Armenia and Iran. I was scratching my head

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I've also read that they're not as genetically unique as you might think, although evidently still enough that studies such as the one you cited can trace their heritage. I've always wondered what exactly it was that allowed Basque to survive as literally the only pre-Indo-European language in Europe. It's not even in a particularly isolated region.

I agree, Finland doesn't belong in Europe

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

This is cool.

Do they use arabic numbers?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Times up, check your answers, if these were your guesses for "future post-American splinter nations" you win a prize!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Turkish has used western Arabic numerals for slightly longer than it has used the Latin alphabet, the officially changeover being May 1928 versus November of the same year.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Andrast posted:

I agree, Finland doesn't belong in Europe

I don't think Finnish is technically a pre-Indo-European language? The Uralic and Indo-European migrations seem to have occurred during the same general time period, according to what I'm reading. Depending on your definition of Europe, both homelands are probably arguably in Europe, but that doesn't seem like a very useful point to make in this discussion.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It's nice that they all have almost the same population and GDP.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Where's Ceasar's legion

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Nobody wants West Virginia

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Andrast posted:

Where's Ceasar's legion
In nevada, raping the locals...

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Platystemon posted:

Turkish has used western Arabic numerals for slightly longer than it has used the Latin alphabet, the officially changeover being May 1928 versus November of the same year.

Thanks for your answer. Every answer is like a tiny window to other culture.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

I will never understand the mid west.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Orange Devil posted:

Bilbao Baggins.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Tei posted:

It's gonna be the mountain fortress kingdom

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I will die before I accept any flag based on that godawful Ohio pennant as the flag of the glorious Pact of Steel.

Also, why is Kentucky in our Great Lakes alliance? Their impure southern ways have no place among us.

Orange Devil posted:

This is some high intensity Spanish poo poo: "yeah I guess Basques are like a savage fantasy race that lives in the clouds idklol"

Change one word and it becomes high intensity French poo poo.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Well, one thing you have to hand to the Basques is, they did send the first Spaniard into outer space

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

I really don't like how this is phrased to make out like Turkey only borders seven countries, when it's really eight, as last I checked Iraq and Syria were still different countries.

I really don't like how those two countries using the same alphabet makes the fun fact slightly less fun. Imagine how good it would be if ALL the eight countries it bordered used different alphabets.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It should have been made about Azerbaijan, which borders five countries with five different alphabets.

e: five not six

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 17, 2020

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Andrast posted:

Where's Ceasar's legion

Tei posted:

Fallout 76, summarized?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

gently caress yeah use that Ohio flag