Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I will always recommend Winco pans. For the price, a Winco pan is dollar-for-dollar better than most consumer pans. They don't look great, but they'll get the job done, will heat evenly, and will last a very long time in a home kitchen.

That being said, it's worth checking out stores like TJ Maxx for pans. They always have solid offerings for a decent price, and so long as what you're getting has a heavy bottom, sturdy construction, and is easy to clean (stainless steel), you'll be getting something worth getting.

I've used All-Clad pans and fancy-rear end copper pans, and they are great, but I just can't see myself paying hundreds of dollars for a pan or two when they don't offer any noticeable improvement to my end results. Maybe the process is slightly easier, but it's not like I'm looking at my current pans (winco/cuisinart/random brands from TJ Maxx) and thinking "I wish this was better". That money is better spent on a brand new kitchen tool or higher quality ingredients, and replacing pans that are warped or just bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

I have a mishmash of Calphalon, Cuisinart, and All-Clad pots and pans. The Calphalon stuff (all from the Contemporary line, for whatever it's worth) and All-Clad stuff (from various lines) is all fine and I wouldn't draw any meaningful distinctions between them, beyond aesthetics and so on. The Cuisinart stock pot I own (from the MCP line) is made of substantially inferior stainless, to the point where I got spotting and pitting on it almost immediately, where I've never had trouble with the Calphalon or All-Clad stuff which I use more frequently.

I only have the the one Cuisinart MCP (a 6 qt saucepan) so I can't speak for the whole line, but I won't be buying any more.

I haven't noticed pitting on my friend's cuisinarts but sheesh I don't blame you for avoiding them after that

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

I haven't noticed pitting on my friend's cuisinarts but sheesh I don't blame you for avoiding them after that
Yeah, it's not the end of the world or anything. Still functions as a pot and everything. I assume this just means that Calphalon and All-Clad just use stainless with a higher chromium content, but manufacturers always list the minimum spec--18/10 or whatever--and not the actual composition, so there's no way to be absolutely sure.

The water here is hard as a longshoreman's union meeting hosted by pr0k's mom, so it's possible that you wouldn't see it if you have softer water. But none of my other pots or pans have the same problem, and the MCP isn't remotely the one I use most frequently to boil water.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I dunno, Los Angeles water basically comes out of swimming pools

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Good timing, thread. I need to replace a 1 quart stainless steel non-stick saucepan. Unfortunately no-stick pans (of whatever coating) are almost always aluminum, and I plan on buying an induction stove*.

I've never used carbon steel pans before. Thanks for the advice on them. Do they really require as much care as a cast iron? ie, no dishwasher, no letting liquids sit, reseason once or twice a year? And could I, say, cook oatmeal or a cream sauce in them without spending 20 minutes scrubbing them afterwards?

*We moved house last year and left our induction stove behind. The new house has a plain old glass top electric stove. I hate it and will probably spend my stimulus check on replacing it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

Yeah, it's not the end of the world or anything. Still functions as a pot and everything. I assume this just means that Calphalon and All-Clad just use stainless with a higher chromium content, but manufacturers always list the minimum spec--18/10 or whatever--and not the actual composition, so there's no way to be absolutely sure.

There are a few other alloying elements that provide pitting corrosion resistance (like molybdenum) but 18% Cr should be enough to prevent pitting unless the surface finish was poor to begin with or damaged sometime later.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Bagheera posted:

Good timing, thread. I need to replace a 1 quart stainless steel non-stick saucepan. Unfortunately no-stick pans (of whatever coating) are almost always aluminum, and I plan on buying an induction stove*.

I've never used carbon steel pans before. Thanks for the advice on them. Do they really require as much care as a cast iron? ie, no dishwasher, no letting liquids sit, reseason once or twice a year? And could I, say, cook oatmeal or a cream sauce in them without spending 20 minutes scrubbing them afterwards?

*We moved house last year and left our induction stove behind. The new house has a plain old glass top electric stove. I hate it and will probably spend my stimulus check on replacing it.
My nonstick pan uses induction - I'm sure you could find a nonstick induction saucepan if you wanted (I can see a bunch on amazon).

(I'm not a carbon steel fan)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 14, 2020

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Bagheera posted:

They require the same care as cast iron. I don't have any trouble cleaning mine but I usually wash up as I go. A brush, drop of soap, and warm water and they are good to go. The king of easy clean is always going to be Teflon. If I were only going to have one kind of pan it would be stainless, but I have stainless, Teflon, carbon steel, and cast, and use them all for different purposes. Teflon is used the least. The cast is mostly used for oven duty.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Anyone have any info on induction burners. I already have a decent gas stovetop, with power burners/quick boil etc. But they throw out a ton more heat into the room than an induction would and summer is coming. What's the absolute best induction burner out there? Is there any reason to spend the $$$ for a polyscience? Is there better than that available?

I'll probably swing back around to ask about countertop ovens later too.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Bagheera posted:

glass top electrics are the worst, godspeed

Sextro posted:

Anyone have any info on induction burners. I already have a decent gas stovetop, with power burners/quick boil etc. But they throw out a ton more heat into the room than an induction would and summer is coming. What's the absolute best induction burner out there? Is there any reason to spend the $$$ for a polyscience? Is there better than that available?

I'll probably swing back around to ask about countertop ovens later too.

I'm curious about this too. The biggest burner on my gas stove is 19000 btu, is an induction hotplate a worthwhile gadget? Also hadn't thought about the waste heat.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
On the topic of induction burners, and burners in general I have some questions.

I have an electric cook top. I have natural gas to the house but not to the kitchen, although as far I I can tell the gas line runs under the kitchen on it's way to the utility closet in the basement for the heat and tankless water heater.

My biggest complaint for the electric cook top is how uneven the heating is and how difficult it is to dial it in to maintain a specific temp in a pot. I am just generally unsatisfied with it, although it is 20+ years old (Jenn-Air with downdraft!) so may a new one would be better?

Putting in an induction cook top would be simple, it should just drop in, I think?

Putting in a gas cook top, would at a minimum, involve running a new line but could be much more if there isn't enough pressure.

People who have had gas and induction, what are your thoughts? Is there a clear preference such that it would be dumb not to do one or the other? Are new electric cook tops da bomb, yo? Thanks!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I have a portable, single "burner" induction cooktop and its nice to have if i want to warm a big pot up really fast or i can use outdoors on my grilling table if needed for a sauce. sometimes its nice to use outdoors when it comes to frying fish or chicken so it doesnt stink up the house.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Also there is the fact that natural gas is a fossil fuel and always will be, while our electricity is fossil fueled we should be working to de-fossilize wherever possible. Including making long term decisions to not purchase natural gas fueled appliances.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Murgos posted:

People who have had gas and induction, what are your thoughts? Is there a clear preference such that it would be dumb not to do one or the other? Are new electric cook tops da bomb, yo? Thanks!

Gas burners work with all your cookware. Gas stoves generally continue to work during power outages. Gas has a nice visual component; you can always tell where you’re at with a glance. For a permanent, cook-on-it-every-day solution, I think gas wins by a mile.

I have a single-burner induction unit like someone above me mentioned. It was OK the two times I used it, but it’s been gathering dust for years.

I feel like I lose things, but gain nothing, by going gas -> induction. I am sure someone will have a list of things induction is better for, but I have never found myself wishing I wasn’t stuck with this darn gas stove to cook on. I can imagine times when I might wish I wasn’t stuck with an induction cook top.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
So going back to the original question, is there a recommended big, high-quality countertop induction hotplate that I could use in an apartment as an alternative to the lovely glass-top stove that I have?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I’ve never had gas, only electric and induction.

Induction is GREAT for safety - you still don’t want to leave it unattended, but you also don’t have actual fire and the burners stay fairly cool (although they do get hot by virtue of having a hot pan on them). It’s delightful to turn on the “Powerboost” mode and get a pan screaming hot in seconds without having a giant fire.

You can also turn it down super low and get a very gentle heat. I think on mine I could get away with melting chocolate without a double boiler, but I haven’t actually tried that.

If you’re in love with nonstick cookware, or have a collection of copper pans, you’re not going to have a great time with induction. Stainless steel, multi-ply, cast iron, and carbon steel all work fantastic, and I have a small nonstick pan with a stew disk in the bottom that works fine for cooking eggs.

Wok cooking is basically a non-starter as well. Even with a flat bottom you get 0 heat anywhere that isn’t in contact with the burner, so you have a screaming hot little disk at the bottom and a lukewarm bowl.

That said, there’s no waste heat really, which is nice in the summer. I love my induction cooktop, but like I said, no house I’ve ever lived in has even had a hookup for a gas stove. It’s 1,000% an upgrade over standard electric though, even my cheapo Fridgidaire unit.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Kylaer posted:

So going back to the original question, is there a recommended big, high-quality countertop induction hotplate that I could use in an apartment as an alternative to the lovely glass-top stove that I have?

Sorry for hijacking your thought. To compensate here are the recommendations from Cooks Illustrated:

Semi-comedy but, no seriously: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G5MZZ5Q/?tag=cioequippilot-20

If you can manage the, uh, $1500 price you get an induction burner that's so accurate you can use it to Sou-Vide or temper chocolate with no fear as it will hold a temp between 86F and 485F to within +/- 2 degrees.

Otherwise the real winner is: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GHWHBCF/?tag=cioequippilot-20

For a reasonable $89 the Jack Burton will make perfect pork chops on demand. It's all in the reflexes.

Edit: The Duxtop is highly rated on Amazon but cooks didn't like because it wasn't very good at holding a temperature, did not do low temperatures well and was very poor at heating large volumes of liquid to a high temp (like 2 qts of cooking oil).

Murgos fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 14, 2020

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Much appreciated, and for most people those would probably work just fine, but I really want to have a ridiculously oversized hotplate so that I can optimize use of my ridiculously oversized skillet, I want something like a 12" diameter burner. Super precise temperature control is much lower on my priority list. I'm probably going to be stuck with small burners unless I buy a house and put in my own stove, I'm guessing.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Lawnie posted:

There are a few other alloying elements that provide pitting corrosion resistance (like molybdenum) but 18% Cr should be enough to prevent pitting unless the surface finish was poor to begin with or damaged sometime later.
Yeah. I suppose it's possible that their claimed 18/10 stainless isn't actually 18/10. But I don't have enough evidence to support that. Looking at the pattern of discolouration on the bottom of the pan, my guess is that the layer of 18/10 on the interior is paper thin, and on the pot I have just had it worn thin from milling/finishing or something like that--there's actually only a few spots of discoloration and fairly minor pitting, but they fall along concentric arcs in the bottom of the pan. Kinda like if you etched tree rings into the bottom, and then buffed about 90% of it away, leaving only a couple of dotted arcs, if that makes sense.

Like I said, it's not the end of the world and it doesn't interfere with the use of the pot. But this isn't something I've seen on any of my other pots or pans. So it's not just me doing something stupid, some environmental issue, or whatever.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Murgos posted:

On the topic of induction burners, and burners in general I have some questions.

I have an electric cook top. I have natural gas to the house but not to the kitchen, although as far I I can tell the gas line runs under the kitchen on it's way to the utility closet in the basement for the heat and tankless water heater.

My biggest complaint for the electric cook top is how uneven the heating is and how difficult it is to dial it in to maintain a specific temp in a pot. I am just generally unsatisfied with it, although it is 20+ years old (Jenn-Air with downdraft!) so may a new one would be better?

Putting in an induction cook top would be simple, it should just drop in, I think?

Putting in a gas cook top, would at a minimum, involve running a new line but could be much more if there isn't enough pressure.

My opinion: Induction is a million times better than coil or glasstop electric ranges. It's close to but not quite as good as gas.
Advantages (vs regular electric ranges)

*Quick heating: Induction ranges heat much, much faster than electric. I can boil a gallon of water in ~5 minutes, versus ~20 minutes on a cheap coil range.

*Fine-tuned heating: The temperature on an induction range is consistent and can be very finely dialed in. Poaching eggs, for example, is much easier on induction.

*Safety. This is an advantage over both electric and gas. Induction heats up the cookware, not the surface of the range. You can put your hand on the range right next to the skillet and not get burnt. When you pull the skillet away, there's a bit of residual heat that fades quickly.
A neat trick for saving glass from scratches: You can put a paper towel under a cast iron skillet and slide it around. Because the skillet gets hot and not the surface, the paper towel won't burn (it will get a bit brown). Then you can use your rough cast iron without scratching the glass.

*Heat all the way up the pan. On most cookware, the sides heat up about the same time the bottom does. It's not a huge deal, but it makes heating soups and sauces a little easier.

Disadvantages

*You must have iron. Induction works by creating a magnetic field, and that only interacts with iron (cast iron, stainless steel, etc.) Triple-ply cookware will work great, but aluminum, copper, and others won't work at all.
As you see on my previous post, non-stick cookware that's made of stainless steel is hard to find.
You can get a steel plate that sets over the induction burner and heats up whatever's on it. But that's very inefficient.

*Timeout. Induction burners have sensors that detect iron on them. If you pull off a pot and forget to turn off the burner, it will turn off automatically. My range had a very short timeout. If I was making something that required me to lift a saucepan up and down, it would sometimes time out and turn off.

*Expensive. Induction burners are more expensive than electric ranges, but they're absolutely worth every penny.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I was looking at getting an actual good knife and some other stuff for the kitchen (finally picking up a Dutch oven, need a cutting board) and is Amazon fine for all this stuff? I see a few reviews on the victorinox chef's knife saying they got counterfeits

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Don't buy anything off amazon if it really matters if it is counterfeit or expired/pulled out of the trash. They accept counterfeit goods and mix them with legit products with the same upc numbers. In some cases, even amazon couldn't tell you if goods are legitimate or not. I got counterfeit window sealing silicone tape, people will counterfeit everything on there. I still buy stuff, but I wouldn't buy e.g. safety equipment, electrical outlets, etc

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I just got my Mac Pro knife on Amazon from "Cutlery and More" which is recognized as a legitimate distributor from Mac's own website, so I feel pretty okay. I guess do your homework from where you're actually getting it from?

and as a bonus I managed to cut myself tonight while chopping garlic because I forgot how to use a knife that's actually sharp

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

AndrewP posted:

I just got my Mac Pro knife on Amazon from "Cutlery and More" which is recognized as a legitimate distributor from Mac's own website, so I feel pretty okay. I guess do your homework from where you're actually getting it from?

and as a bonus I managed to cut myself tonight while chopping garlic because I forgot how to use a knife that's actually sharp

That doesn't matter, Amazon mixes goods from legitimate distributors with those from counterfeiters, that's what Vim was just saying. Cutlery and More sends good knives to Amazon's warehouse, they house them in the same bin as counterfeits, and it's a tossup which they'll actually send you.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Kylaer posted:

That doesn't matter, Amazon mixes goods from legitimate distributors with those from counterfeiters, that's what Vim was just saying. Cutlery and More sends good knives to Amazon's warehouse, they house them in the same bin as counterfeits, and it's a tossup which they'll actually send you.

This is surprising to hear. I would have assumed inventory from different parties would be kept separate

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

This is surprising to hear. I would have assumed inventory from different parties would be kept separate

Nah its been a problem with Amazon for a while, I know I've seen a few news stories about it

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

huh. well even if that's the case, Mac will at least honor the warranty from this place in case it snaps or something

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Some products are shipped by the vendor, it usually takes longer but if counterfeiting is a concern. I haven't received any counterfeits but I don't doubt it's a problem.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Just gonna swing by this thread and say silicone mats are awesome and if you don't have one yet get one.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 15, 2020

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Resting Lich Face posted:

Just gonna swing by this thread and say silicon mats are awesome and if you don't have one yet get one.

Assuming you mean “silicone”, I agree.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
That too but have you tried baking on a sheet of Intel i7 cores? It’s amazing!

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Steve Yun posted:

That too but have you tried baking on a sheet of Intel i7 cores? It’s amazing!

AMD are better; they produce way more heat.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
https://twitter.com/D1C0MM/status/1228427533831430144

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I am brining pastrami using a recipe that calls for a beef brisket flat, 4 quarts of water, and an onion, and then the recipe says this:

Project Smoke by Steven Raichlen posted:

Place the brisket in a jumbo heavy-duty resealable plastic bag.

Now, I don’t know what fancy rear end eat-the-rich grocery store Steven Raichlen shops at, but I HAVE NEVER IN ALL OF MY BORN DAYS ON OUR CHRISTIAN GOD’S EARTH EVER ONCE WITNESSED resealable plastic bags larger than gallon-size! Maybe because I live in a small redneck shithole town where nobody sells them? But I’ve never seen them in bigger cities like Austin TX either. AND YET I SEE RECIPES CALL FOR THEM EVERY-loving-WHERE. So clearly people MUST be finding them somewhere. But I have never seen them. AND I HAVE LOOKED!

I ended up having to divide my brisket and other ingredients in two and put them in 2 separate gallon-size bags, but that recipe has pink curing salt in it, so I am praying like hell that this pastrami doesn’t kill anyone.

Sure I could just get a FoodSaver and use that instead, and eventually I’ll probably do that... but this has been bugging the absolute poo poo out of me for YEARS. Where do people find these super giant resealable plastic bags?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 16, 2020

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ziploc-Brand-Freezer-Two-Gallon-Bags-with-Grip-n-Seal-Technology-10-Count/12166312
https://www.amazon.com/pieces-Gallon-Reclosable-Freezer-Storage/dp/B009ZL3S5Y

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I am all for cutting up big roasts into smaller pieces though

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

meatsink

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

butter for thermal paste

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

You guys.

How It’s Made has an episode that shows how they make my beloved Peugeot Paris pepper mill. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai
San Jamar has oven mitts and cutting boards on clearance.

https://www.sanjamar.com/

$4 for 18x24 original cutting boards and $9 for 15x20 T-Grip.

I bought several to use as gifts.