Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Fellatio del Toro posted:

So my boss who seems to not understand that we are capable of doing our jobs from home and are in constant contact with each other on Slack came up with a very dumb scheme where we get a daily, randomized phone chain and everyone has to call each other in the daily sequence until it ends at my boss

This has, of course, been failing which has naturally resulted in a big email chain about how to improve this very useful process:

It sounds like you just need to have a channel for everyone who isn't your boss, to say that boss called, everyone do their updates (like standup??????????), and designate the person that calls boss back later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Keep your codebase fully integrated and configure which features are accessible via flags. It can be as complex as you need (i.e. user groups and only certain groups have the flag on) or as simple as you need (if this configuration variable/environment variable is set, unlock feature x).

If you do base this on user groups you have the basics ready for allowing A/B testing. Put two different versions of a functionality in the app, which can be swapped between by a feature toggle, or enable something that changes the look and feel with a feature toggle, and then split the setting 50/50 among the users. Or give a small sample of the users the new functionality and see how they react to that. Based on their reactions you can find out what works and what doesn't and decide which functionality to add to the standard product.
Of course you do need some kind of feedback mechanism from the users for that. That can be usage metrics or a literal feedback/question page somewhere in the app.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

just dropping by to say LaunchDarkly is great. just works

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Volmarias posted:

It sounds like you just need to have a channel for everyone who isn't your boss, to say that boss called, everyone do their updates (like standup??????????), and designate the person that calls boss back later.
yeah don't let this linked list implementation thrash everyone's cache, just batch up the operations and provide the caller with the result

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
you sound like my coworker who tries to come up with a dumb tech analogy for every situation

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

qsvui posted:

you sound like my coworker who tries to come up with a dumb tech analogy for every situation
Like an abstraction that can’t be aligned with the implementation?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Progressive JPEG posted:

Like an abstraction that can’t be aligned with the implementation?

Like a linker that tries to reference the wrong architecture for a library

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Like a Makefile and then something bad happens!

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Like a car with a transmission and wheels and such

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Does anyone have a link to that article about pointing stories and bugs, and the guy ran simulations and decided that all bugs are the same and shouldn’t have points?

I know that’s vague, but I saw it on here once and I can’t find my old bookmarks.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A bug is just a story that was already accepted but should have been rejected. You already got the points for it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/krisajenkins/status/1253294613663711235

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Bongo Bill posted:

A bug is just a story that was already accepted but should have been rejected. You already got the points for it.

If your codebase is greenfield and has been wholly developed with stories that were pointed, sure. What's the theory on pointing bugs in code which was produced prior to adopting that process? That was never sufficiently explained to me by the one project manager that implemented this practice.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

lifg posted:

Does anyone have a link to that article about pointing stories and bugs, and the guy ran simulations and decided that all bugs are the same and shouldn’t have points?

I know that’s vague, but I saw it on here once and I can’t find my old bookmarks.

this one? https://apenwarr.ca/log/?m=201712

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Yes! Thank you!

downout
Jul 6, 2009

That was a good read, thanks!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

csammis posted:

If your codebase is greenfield and has been wholly developed with stories that were pointed, sure. What's the theory on pointing bugs in code which was produced prior to adopting that process? That was never sufficiently explained to me by the one project manager that implemented this practice.

Woah, hold up, are you implying that perhaps we should not slavishly adhere to rules???

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
That part was explained to me by the project manager and it turns out that yes, we should! :v:

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Bongo Bill posted:

I had a manager tell me this who started as a dev so he really should've known better. It is almost the perfect definition of the perverse incentive. If there are "points" for something, people will do/promote activities that generate the most "points". If you don't give anyone points for bugfixing, your overall code quality plummets.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

The day that agile really clicked for me was the day that we gave-up trying to do it.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

agile is still a mystery to me. i don't bother trying to understand its value anymore, i just nod and pretend to know why i'm doing all that stuff.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Agile is a whole bunch of voodoo whose highest value is convincing management (and certain over-engineering inclined programmers) to accept "small incremental goals" as the unit of project planning and execution.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

vonnegutt posted:

I had a manager tell me this who started as a dev so he really should've known better. It is almost the perfect definition of the perverse incentive. If there are "points" for something, people will do/promote activities that generate the most "points". If you don't give anyone points for bugfixing, your overall code quality plummets.

If points are tied to any incentives, then it doesn't matter whether you estimate bugs or not because you've hosed up something much more basic.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Engineering management is absolutely god-awful at managing incentives. That's a hard problem in general, but they're not even trying and I don't think many of them actually understand that that's part of their job.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

FYI incentive systems are just another means of undermining and exploiting workers.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Points are a measurement. Any measurement that becomes a target ceases to be useful as a measurement.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

ultrafilter posted:

Engineering management is absolutely god-awful at managing incentives. That's a hard problem in general, but they're not even trying and I don't think many of them actually understand that that's part of their job.

At my previous job where we did SAFe we did a single 2 week long innovation sprint at the end of each PI. They were always disappointed when nobody had anything valuable to show. And oh yeah, there was no incentive, and any projects that showed a modicum of promise never surfaced again.

Of course most people used those 2 weeks to tidy up their PI deliverables, but that’s just a small detail.

Inacio posted:

agile is still a mystery to me. i don't bother trying to understand its value anymore, i just nod and pretend to know why i'm doing all that stuff.

Agile is probably fine if you do it correctly? I haven’t seen an example of it being done correctly yet though.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Bongo Bill posted:

Points are a measurement. Any measurement that becomes a target ceases to be useful as a measurement.

I completely agree, but I've never worked at any company that had a numeric points scale where they didn't become a target.

In the situation I mentioned, each dev was responsible for a certain amount of "points" per sprint, and at the end of the sprint, the number each dev accomplished was publically announced in the end-of-sprint meeting. There was even a leaderboard. You can imagine what effect this had.

At my current company we only have "small", "medium", and "large", and mostly it seems to map to "amount of uncertainty around size" rather than size, which makes arguing with management about breaking down "large" tasks fairly effective.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I basically like Agile and pointing, but management needs to buy into the underlying philosophy. If a company wants to do Agile, then every employee at every level needs to go through a day of training, to set a base level of understanding and vocab.

(I saw this done at AthenaHealth, and it really helped.)

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
Points are fine as an estimate of roughly (like maybe 80% accurate if you're very good at estimating) what amount of planned work could reasonably get done in the next time step. The bigger your time step is the worse this works.

At whatever point you use it as a team or individual performance metric it breaks horribly. Engineering leadership try to use it as a 'look I'm doing good job' metric so they want it to continuously increase. Which sure, make it a metric, it's an arbitrary scale and it will increase if you yell at your subordinates about it enough. It's not measuring anything in particular but hey number go up.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

vonnegutt posted:

the problem here isn't about pointing bugs or not, it's about using points as a proxy for individual performance. if anyone is using points as anything other than a measure of velocity to estimate feature delivery timelines or dev capacity you're hosed anyways

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If you ever feel like the dev tool you're using is a hammer in want of a nail, just remember that the maps for Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal were made in Excel.

Elfforkusu
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, in the places I've worked where agile has been useful, it's always as a good tool to budget the team's man hours (whether the units are hours or days or t-shirt sizes, developer resources are what's being budgeted). The more stable your team is (the lower the churn), the better. Unfortunately, the temptation from PM to use/abuse the numbers seems to be irresistible.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

the maps for Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal were made in Excel.

I want to know more about this. Where did you find this out?

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

the talent deficit posted:

the problem here isn't about pointing bugs or not, it's about using points as a proxy for individual performance. if anyone is using points as anything other than a measure of velocity to estimate feature delivery timelines or dev capacity you're hosed anyways

if you’re in a dysfunctional team it starts to feel real unfair when one or two people are clearly contributing the majority of points/velocity/whatever while others are if anything just generating more work, but managers refuse to look at individual point performance because that’s not what they’re for. However, this falls into the realm of “being hosed anyways”

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

if you’re in a dysfunctional team it starts to feel real unfair when one or two people are clearly contributing the majority of points/velocity/whatever while others are if anything just generating more work, but managers refuse to look at individual point performance because that’s not what they’re for. However, this falls into the realm of “being hosed anyways”

It is unfair, but using points to measure performance can be gamed incredibly hard and will inevitably gently caress you when your underperformers take as much low hanging fruit as possible or block you on 8 pointers while you're stuck fixing bugs (which may not have points at all), not to mention the other bad situations it can lead to (compensation dictated by points closed in a year, e.g)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If there's a severe imbalance in how much everybody on the team is contributing, and it's causing a problem, and management can't tell there's a problem just by paying attention, individual productivity metrics aren't going to reveal the problem (though they will create an additional, worse problem).

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I have to rant for a second.

I’m half way through a six month project that has a chance of delivering on time, but one of my key employees, Ed, is part time on another project that’s been in a death spiral for three years. My boss is devoted to getting this other project finished. (Note: He partially caused the problems.)

Two sprints ago my boss took Ed away from my project completely, “just for one sprint” to finish this death spiral project.

Now when I ask about timelines and getting Ed back, I’m met with “I don’t understand why you can’t build your web app in a month with who you have. Let’s refactor the code to get a magical 10x speed up in dev time.” (Paraphrasing.)

I don’t have an ending to this rant. My boss is a brilliant programmer and architect, but really shouldn’t be anywhere near management or project management or any of it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Ask him why they can't do that for his project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

taqueso posted:

Ask him why they can't do that for his project

"We're doing that right now :smuggo:"