Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think it’s more that while good the sopranos is very sloppy with its storytelling.

Which we’ll no ones perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
In related news, season 6 is around when I start having trouble remembering who's who.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I also wouldn’t call it world building as the Sopranos is pretty laser focused on its MC and his family

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Basebf555 posted:

The whole series is like that, Chase is constantly bringing in new elements and characters that seem like they should've been known before but all the sudden they show up and now they're super important to this particular episode/season.

You can be pessimistic and call it a sleight of hand writer's trick, or you can look at it as a way to make the world of the Sopranos feel more real and expansive because we're clearly only getting a small window into what goes on through the eyes of Tony and his relatively small Family(or glorified crew, if you're from New York).

I think it's just Chase's background as a network TV writer coming into play. Even though he was pushing the format forward in a lot of ways, he still spent the formative years of his career writing for the kind of dramas where there was a new case every week, with a special guest star antagonist and occasionally a newly invented wrinkle to the hero's backstory to give it emotional weight. Old habits die hard and all of that.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

One thing on Eugene and Chris getting made together it kinda highlights how fast Chris got fastracked in retrospect.

Eugene committed suicide at 50 so that means he was made at like 48 or 49? And I'm not sure how old Chris is, I think he is probably in his late 20's in season one? So he is getting made like decades before most guys.

Beyond them the only guys who might have a prospect of getting made is probably Benny (Not sure if he was already or not) or Little Paulie which lol.

It seems like the crew has plenty of associates, but hadn't actually opened the books and really made guys since Tony's generation.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 17, 2020

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
^^ Good call. And Eugene was a childhood friend of Tony's, and that didn't even help him get fast tracked.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Am I understanding correctly that every bit part or one line character needs to have a backstory stretching back several seasons and episodes (check out the fan wikis to scratch this itch, hoo boy), or that important things in the story should only ever be done by main characters? (Neither of these things make for good tv)

As for Meadow’s breakup with Finn, we already got the “you brought out a suitcase!” scene so I don’t know how much more time we wanted to spend with the breakdown of their frankly doomed and adolescent romance.

Would it be a better show if other offscreen things like Dick Barone’s death were shown with the same level of detail as Johnny Sack’s, or if we had actually ever seen the original Green Grove director other than his toupee? Everything in the show is that way for a reason.

Also lol at “there’s only one person in this whole crew, not much of a crew if you ask me!” talk because again, we don’t need to be introduced to every wiseguy in New Jersey to assume yes, there are other people involved in this operation and no we shouldn’t be upset that we don’t see more of them. The show is already packed with amazing characters and the world is extremely well fleshed out. I can offer no improvements (other than that one weird wipe cut in Cold Cuts which apparently was not even intentional).

Well I didn't say there was anything wrong with it, just that it was a bit jarring to have the endgame carried out by someone whose face was introduced in the final three episodes. It seemed like a deliberate, David Chase creative decision, and rather than argue whether it was right or wrong, I am more interested in what Chase was trying to convey with this choice. Perhaps it was meant to convey how the mafia has a serious turnover rate, as it straight up cannibalizes its employees.

Again, I wasn't coming down on whether or the not the decision was right or wrong. Just that it was jarring, deliberate, and I wonder why Chase made that decision.

So let's rephrase the question, what is the implication of having a brand new face murder the boss of one of the five families?

escape artist fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 17, 2020

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Burt is prob easily 60 when he and Gerry get made. Benny seems pretty young but the poor guy did get the poo poo beat out of him so I guess he was due. We know at least someone was made between Chris/Eugene and s6 since Genes FBI guy was upset he never got one on tape.

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 17, 2020

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

escape artist posted:

So let's rephrase the question, what is the implication of having a brand new face murder the boss of one of the five families?

Most mafia hitmen are incompetent so it's best to turn to someone like Wild Bill Guarnere when the hit is that important

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Am I understanding correctly that every bit part or one line character needs to have a backstory stretching back several seasons and episodes (check out the fan wikis to scratch this itch, hoo boy), or that important things in the story should only ever be done by main characters? (Neither of these things make for good tv)

I don't think anyone implied that :shrug:

It's just that shows like this, The Wire, Six Feet Under and even Breaking Bad have a lot of layers to them and are so good they tend to invite a lot of rewatches and closer scrutiny than some other, more disposable TV. I've watched Sopranos probably...counting random episodes on A&E and poo poo...probably 3 or 4 times and still can't entirely track everything, which wise guy is who and sometimes even what their loving names are, even with the help of Jerusalem's write ups.

His WIre thread, in fact, helped me immeasurably with being able to follow all of the intersecting plot points and various characters.

No one's asking for a Sopranos Silmarillion so much as paying attention to things.

Speaking of that, I know production on new poo poo is on hiatus, but has anyone heard any info on The Many Saints of Newark? Seems like a good candidate for an Irishman style Netflix release.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Yeah I think it is a deliberate turnover thing too, by that episode the only main guys from season 1 not dead or out of the picture is Paulie and Tony and neither really work as triggermen.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

this was def the wrong tv show thread. Whoops

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 17, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Now I'm kind of fascinated to find out if there's an 'average' age to be made. Tony and Jackie Sr. both seem to have done it fairly young.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Now I'm kind of fascinated to find out if there's an 'average' age to be made. Tony and Jackie Sr. both seem to have done it fairly young.

Was Eugene a multi-generation made man? That seems to make a big difference.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I think it's all in who you know.

Like most things really.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Bip Roberts posted:

Was Eugene a multi-generation made man? That seems to make a big difference.

He was a childhood friend of Tony's (fuckin' CYO basketball)

Saw a hilarious meme that had Vito Jr. at the Puerto Rican day parade with Blanca

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The guy who kills Tony in the last episode doesn't have even have a name so why does Uncle Philly deserve to get killed by a main character?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Ginette Reno posted:

The guy who kills Tony in the last episode doesn't have even have a name so why does Uncle Philly deserve to get killed by a main character?

Deserve's got nothing to do with it

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

BiggerBoat posted:

Speaking of that, I know production on new poo poo is on hiatus, but has anyone heard any info on The Many Saints of Newark? Seems like a good candidate for an Irishman style Netflix release.

Here's a portion of the cast.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I haven't really read up on the production, but wasn't it supposed to be Dickie Moltisanti's story primarily? Or is it gonna be more of an ensemble thing?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

I haven't really read up on the production, but wasn't it supposed to be Dickie Moltisanti's story primarily? Or is it gonna be more of an ensemble thing?

As far as anybody knows it follows Dickie during the summer of 1967 in Newark.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Pussy gets the "before and way before" treatment :laugh:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Jerusalem posted:

Moltisanti = many saints so he's probably going to be the main character.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Holy shiiiiit I didn't know this was even a thing. That cast looks fantastic as far as matching the people from the original show. I hope they're good actors cause I can't wait to see young Tony and Livia.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Vichan posted:

Moltisanti = many saints so he's probably going to be the main character.

Huh...the more you know I guess.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

BiggerBoat posted:

Huh...the more you know I guess.

"La Cerva" means "The Doe" so if you want to read symbolism into Christopher shooting the deer in the pine barrens, you can.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Phenotype posted:

Holy shiiiiit I didn't know this was even a thing. That cast looks fantastic as far as matching the people from the original show. I hope they're good actors cause I can't wait to see young Tony and Livia.

Young Tony is being played by Gandolfini's kid, who looks quite a bit like his dad.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JethroMcB posted:

Young Tony is being played by Gandolfini's kid, who looks quite a bit like his dad.

It's really uncanny.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Holy poo poo, I'd seen photos of him irl but was unaware of the production stills... It's truly remarkable.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

For Gandolfini Jr. mother must be related to Bobby, loving invisible genes.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

This would kill on Netflix or HBO GO right now but I guess production is shut down like everything else.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Holy poo poo, I'd seen photos of him irl but was unaware of the production stills... It's truly remarkable.

This is the look he shot young carm at PizzaWorld that blew her away

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
unfortunately he hasn't apparently inherited his dad's acting talent, he's in the deuce and he's not fantastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUywlVBxv94

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

OOOOHhh! The kid's just tryin' to build a career ova heah, cut him some slack *whacks u italianly*

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Eau de MacGowan posted:

unfortunately he hasn't apparently inherited his dad's acting talent, he's in the deuce and he's not fantastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUywlVBxv94

I dunno what you want from him in that scene

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Good acting seems like the main thing

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I've said it before, it's just the way he carries himself that tells me "This is James Gandolfini's kid." A little stoop-shouldered, head angled down; as though he's forever somewhat uncomfortable with his own body.

In the second season finale of The Deuce he's got a B-story where his character is suckered by a savvy working girl who sees him as a meal ticket/a way back into the mob-owned sex businesses around Times Square. He did a good job there, playing a kid who's habitually lying and projecting confidence to a smarter woman who's working him for all he's worth.

(Go watch The Deuce if you haven't, it's a very good show.)

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 19, 2020

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
the deuce is good (and so is the plot against america, hbo dropped the ball by not advertising that as a david simon show), and i suppose I am being a bit harsh on gandolfini's kid. The role is a dopey failson, so he might be acting really well as a dopey failson and not just actually be a dopey failson, I guess we'll find out when he plays tony.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Phenotype posted:

Vera Farmiga is an insanely good choice for young Livia.

BiggerBoat posted:

This would kill on Netflix or HBO GO right now but I guess production is shut down like everything else.

Filming finished a while ago. I dunno if it's still in post but if not they should just put it out digitally. I'd pay for it and I imagine millions of others would.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Another reason the grill scene is so important is that Tony realizes his brilliant plan of tying Christopher to him forever has failed. If Chris sees Dickie as nothing more than a junkie, then it doesn't matter whether or not Barry Haydu killed him, the undying loyalty to Tony for "fixing something that was ruining my whole loving life" has disappeared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
so about all dem saints.

https://twitter.com/ercboxoffice/status/1252293985378332674?s=21