Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

nielsm posted:

I've decided I can mostly live with the ugly growing for now, hoping that part will get changed. I'll stick with the non-XUL urlbar if that's going to be the future anyway. But I'm still disabling all the other dumb settings, especially browser.urlbar.openViewOnFocus, browser.urlbar.update1.searchTips, and browser.urlbar.update1.view.stripHttps. Also browser.urlbar.update1.interventions but I have no idea what that's supposed to do, does anyone know?

I think I might've had that last one happen to me on a different computer where I didn't bother setting all the about :config things:
I get to google by going to the url bar, tabbing over to the search bar (gently caress all y'all single bar users) and hitting enter. Then Firefox put up a huge bar covering a lot of google explaining that I can just type in the search bar (please oh god we want the search referral money!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

That sounds horrible.
URL bar for URLs, search box for invoking search engine. I'm also fine with using the URL bar for keyword searching, but then I'll be typing my keyword there.

keyword.enabled = false
browser.fixup.alternate.enabled = false
browser.urlbar.autoFill = false

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Im_Special posted:

Mozilla just needs to die honestly, like a forest fire that's needed for new growth to happen, if there is demand for a privacy orientated opensource browser then one will happen, I'd much rather see something new show up on GitHub then keep watching where Firefox is heading.
Yeah a better browser must rise from its ashes. A phoenix if you will.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
TBH I always liked searching inside the address bar, it was one of the features I really appreciated in the original Mozilla browser.

The Merkinman posted:

Yeah a better browser must rise from its ashes. A phoenix if you will.
:thunk:

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Back when things had Soul.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Im_Special posted:

Back when things had Soul.

Long after I switched to Firefox, I was looking for a file on my old high school era USB sticks and I found a copy of Phoenix 0.5b that I used to evade the web filtering that I had completely forgotten about. Turns out I was a user for longer than I thought.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think I started on firebird 0.7 myself

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

FRINGE posted:

https://blog.mozilla.org/opendesign/firefox-the-evolution-of-a-brand/

Tell us. We can take it.

As a living brand, Firefox will never be done. It will continue to evolve as we change and the world changes around us. We have to stretch our brand guidelines even further in the months ahead, so we’re interested in hearing your reaction to what we’ve done so far. Feel free to let us know in the comments below.

quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYvsIenveTY

"comments are turned off"
Ended up thinking about that youtube clip again.

If they cant deworm themselves from the b-school parasites siphoning from the top the whole enterprise will finally die.

Which is a shame.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

FRINGE posted:

Ended up thinking about that youtube clip again.

If they cant deworm themselves from the b-school parasites siphoning from the top the whole enterprise will finally die.

Which is a shame.

loving pathetic. It’s an open source software project. Firefox: Fire 90% of the non developer staff and move your HQ out of loving San Francisco, which must piss away more money than most open source projects will ever see every month.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The people who could make that decision are the people who are getting money from the situation being as it is.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
speaking of garbage fires, what's the story on pale moon? i heard they were "bad", is it good yet? i could do with xul add-ons again.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Truga posted:

speaking of garbage fires, what's the story on pale moon? i heard they were "bad", is it good yet? i could do with xul add-ons again.

Nope, and that’s not going to change.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Isn't Pale Moon always behind on security updates or something?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
FYI, if you have uBlock with the Fanboy's Social blocklist enabled Twitter embeds on the forums recently broke. To fix this add an exception:

code:
@@||platform.twitter.com/embed/index.html$subdocument,domain=forums.somethingawful.com

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kassad posted:

Isn't Pale Moon always behind on security updates or something?

yeah that's what i heard, i was wondering if it's still bad and :rip: guess it is

i'm on ESR so bad things trickle down slower to me, but i guess i have to start looking at alternatives if poo poo goes bad

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
For fucks sake I just now realized that these competent shits broke and removed the ability to set a custom new tab page.

Its for "security" that they try and force you to facebook, amazon, and twitter. :rolleyes:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

FRINGE posted:

For fucks sake I just now realized that these competent shits broke and removed the ability to set a custom new tab page.

Its for "security" that they try and force you to facebook, amazon, and twitter. :rolleyes:

Add-ons can set the new tab page without any trouble, supposedly it keeps malware from hijacking your browser since they have to install a signed extension to set the URL. Not sure why you're seeing Facebook et al unless it's the Top Sites thing.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Speaking of new tabs, the only way I've found to get a new tab that's not glaring white like this:

Is to set the home preferences like this:

EDIT: Nevermind. Apparently if you create a new OID called 'ui.systemUsesDarkTheme with the type integer in about :config, and set it to 1, everything becomes magically dark:

This is documented nowhere, officially.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 17, 2020

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

D. Ebdrup posted:

Speaking of new tabs, the only way I've found to get a new tab that's not glaring white like this:

:confused:
85% grey is glaring white?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Geemer posted:

:confused:
85% grey is glaring white?
That's Firefox Home aka about :home - the hint is the little gear icon that's present in the top right. Blank pages aka about :blank do not have this.

EDIT: Here's an example of about :blank with ui.systemUsesDarkTheme set to 1:

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 17, 2020

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

D. Ebdrup posted:

That's Firefox Home aka about :home - the hint is the little gear icon that's present in the top right. Blank pages aka about :blank do not have this.

In my defense, I didn't expand the timg. :downs:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Geemer posted:

In my defense, I didn't expand the timg. :downs:
That makes it drat near impossible to see, so that does seem like a pretty good defense. :v:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

D. Ebdrup posted:

EDIT: Nevermind. Apparently if you create a new OID called 'ui.systemUsesDarkTheme with the type integer in about :config, and set it to 1, everything becomes magically dark:

I think something's buggered with your profile, because my Firefox is respecting system dark mode without using that config parameter. :shrug:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

isndl posted:

I think something's buggered with your profile, because my Firefox is respecting system dark mode without using that config parameter. :shrug:
It's plain Firefox on Wayland, via Sway as a compositor, with FreeBSD as the underlying OS (which is less lines of code than Firefox is...)
Built with:
pre:
CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/sh \
PYTHON3=/usr/local/bin/python3.7 --enable-application=browser --enable-update-channel=release --disable-tests \
CC=/usr/local/bin/clang90  \
CXX=/usr/local/bin/clang++90 --disable-debug-symbols \
PKG_CONFIG=pkgconf --enable-alsa --enable-jack --enable-profiling --enable-system-ffi --enable-rust-simd --with-system-av1 --with-system-webp \
--with-system-graphite2 --with-system-harfbuzz --with-system-libvpx --with-system-jpeg=/usr/local \
PERL=/usr/local/bin/perl \
MAKE=gmake --enable-gconf --disable-install-strip --disable-libproxy --enable-official-branding --enable-startup-notification \ 
--disable-strip --enable-system-pixman --disable-updater --prefix=/usr/local --with-intl-api --with-system-bz2 --with-system-icu --with-system-libevent \
--with-system-nspr --with-system-nss --with-system-png=/usr/local --with-system-zlib
So I imagine that has something to do with it, as I haven't defined all of the usual system settings and dot-files which Unix-like desktop environments tend to set when you pick a given theme.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 17, 2020

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

D. Ebdrup posted:

What theme are you using? If you use the Dark theme, about :blank and about :preferences should be dark. It should also work if you use the Default theme and your OS is set to dark mode.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

D. Ebdrup posted:

Hey thanks for that! I use firefox dark theme on my laptop, and until now I'd been using a usercontent.css hack for about :blank. But it took 1/10th of a second to switch to dark from white, so loading loading up a late-night youtube produced a short flash of white light. Very annoying.

Applebees posted:

What theme are you using? If you use the Dark theme, about :blank and about :preferences should be dark. It should also work if you use the Default theme and your OS is set to dark mode.

I also had a white about :blank page, using Firefox dark theme + OS (win10) light theme.

I don't want an OS dark theme and generally dislike black themes most of the time, with my laptop firefox being the single exception.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Applebees posted:

Firefox theme is set to dark, but that didn't affect things about :blank and about :preferences, only about :home.
I had to also set the ui.systemUsesDarkTheme OID in about :config which isn't documented anywhere. I assume the ui.systemUsesDarkTheme OID gets set by Firefox if it detects gconf, dot-files or some other places are set to using dark themes?
FreeBSD has no central theme, and the wayland compositor doesn't implement theming either, as far as I know, since it doesn't have any window decorations - I prefer running everything in full-screen mode on a separate workspace as there are 9 of them.

Klyith posted:

Hey thanks for that! I use firefox dark theme on my laptop, and until now I'd been using a usercontent.css hack for about :blank. But it took 1/10th of a second to switch to dark from white, so loading loading up a late-night youtube produced a short flash of white light. Very annoying.

I also had a white about :blank page, using Firefox dark theme + OS (win10) light theme.
No worries! It's a weird little interaction, but at least it's fixed now and I know where to point people if I see them having the same problem.
Yeah, the late-night short-flash-of-light is what's always bothered me about the userChrome css method, which is why I used about :home with everything disabled.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know of a simple Firefox plugin that will alert me of webpage changes, and not send all my dick pics to Putin? The ones I'm selling all seem to need more permissions than I'd think are necessary.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Does anyone know of a simple Firefox plugin that will alert me of webpage changes, and not send all my dick pics to Putin? The ones I'm selling all seem to need more permissions than I'd think are necessary.

I don't know of a plugin, but I used this service for a while: https://visualping.io/

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Which addons do send all your dick pics to Putin? This seems like useful info for the OP. Doesn't have to be limited to ones with webpage change alerts.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

astral posted:

Which addons do send all your dick pics to Putin?

I just assumed it was facebook, google, slack, zoom, twitter...

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

astral posted:

Which addons do send all your dick pics to Putin? This seems like useful info for the OP. Doesn't have to be limited to ones with webpage change alerts.

poo poo, I even added that to the addon I wrote just for myself. It's checked as part of the automated addon review process.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Firefox Beta on Android has been transitioned to Firefox Preview. Still separate names and apps, but the same now.

Lost some add-ons which sucks.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

OhFunny posted:

Firefox Beta on Android has been transitioned to Firefox Preview. Still separate names and apps, but the same now.

So is the Preview now defunct or will it serve as a kind of Alpha build for new stuff before it goes to Beta?

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

WattsvilleBlues posted:

So is the Preview now defunct or will it serve as a kind of Alpha build for new stuff before it goes to Beta?

I expect Preview will go away eventually. There are already Release, Beta, and Nightly versions on the Google store.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

OhFunny posted:

And holy cow, I hate the new interface. :(

e: It nuked all my about :config entries too. Hope that's only going to happen with the beta, and not when actual Firefox hits this point...

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 24, 2020

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

And holy cow, I hate the new interface. :(

e: It nuked all my about :config entries too. Hope that's only going to happen with the beta, and not when actual Firefox hits this point...

All I want is to be able to set the home page to my home intranet site, or at least to the bookmarks list like the current Firefox. Apparently either of those is too hard to implement now, somehow.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EpicCodeMonkey posted:

All I want is to be able to set the home page to my home intranet site, or at least to the bookmarks list like the current Firefox. Apparently either of those is too hard to implement now, somehow.

At this point I'm just hoping the tabs can actually become "tabs" again, visible in a row along the top of the screen, instead of a separate list that you have to switch to.

I also hope for a way to make the URL bar (and tabs, if they ever come back) NOT scroll off the top when you move the view down, only to come back when you move back upwards a bit. I've always found that sort of thing annoying.

Fix those two and I'll stop whining. (For now.) :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I've run into a weird issue with Firefox and YouTube. Typically, when I opened an video in a new tab, the video will not start until I click play, and from there, any video I navigated to from that tab would play automatically.

However, now whenever I navigate to a new video in a tab, I still have to manually start the video. This is an annoyance with YouTube playlists, as I have to manually start each video once it transitions to the next entry in the playlist. I don't recall having this issue a week or two ago. Did an update break something? I'm running the YouTube Classic add-on, and the YouTube+ script in Violentmonkey, but so far messing with those doesn't seem to be having an effect.