Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Looks like I might have a publisher for my paper in progress: "Habitat Choice in Defecatory Preferences in American Black Bears: Woods vs. Others".

I'll have to look for a social sciences publisher for my other paper: "Religious Sect Determination of Selected Popes"

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

From Raoult's "study" on chloroquine/azithromycin, courtesy of Derek Lowe. Look at those dual Y axis scales :allears:

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/03/29/more-on-cloroquine-azithromycin-and-on-dr-raoult
(And don't read the comments.)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
im probably trap springing myself here but i never figured out how to read those dumb double y axis charts

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

im probably trap springing myself here but i never figured out how to read those dumb double y axis charts

Some of the lines/bars have their value to the right, some have their value to the left. Sometimes used to save space, some of the time intentionally misleading.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Whenever you see multiple Y axes, some of the components on the graph are read on one and some on the other. They should be independent. In this case, the bar charts are on the left axis and represent total number of patients, the lines are on the right axis and represent percentage of the original patients. So they're representing the same data on both axes, which... I guess you can do it, but why?

But the real stupidity comes in when you look at the scale of the right axis. The neat way of showing this IMO would be to scale both axes together so that 0 patients is 0% and 80 patients (the original number) is 100%. Stick them both on the left, and that could be a useful addition. But instead they're treated as independent variables, and at a first glance it looks like the cohort started with ~105% of patients and ended up with -10%.

Then there's the poly fit, which serves no value at all. Who cares what the R^2 is? You're not constructing a model of the data for predictive purposes, the fit doesn't matter.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
so its a gimmick format intended to show correlations of independent variables, with a dece amount of fuckery sneaking into the axes. got it

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus

Karia posted:

Then there's the poly fit, which serves no value at all. Who cares what the R^2 is? You're not constructing a model of the data for predictive purposes, the fit doesn't matter.

R^2 is of absolutely no use whatsoever, particularly for predictive purposes.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Suspicious Dish posted:

so its a gimmick format intended to show correlations of independent variables, with a dece amount of fuckery sneaking into the axes. got it

It can make sense when the two variables have different units, or different magnitudes of the same unit. But it gives the creator additional room to mess with the scaling and truncating of axes.

Always be suspicious of graphs, be extra suspicious of graphs with two y axes.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Platystemon posted:

New York State projections

Folks, I am beginning to think this model is awful.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://arxiv.org/abs/2004.10796

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Oh, a representative example.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

most of the other examples seem they took a bunch of movie stills and had people say what they thought about the two people interacting in the scene, then their NN rolled some dice and spit out some of the common options (ie. they wanted to talk, or they did not want to talk; possibly both or neither)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I dunno, maybe he held it just because he likes how bronze feels. Could be a fetish thing.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Kennel posted:

I dunno, maybe he held it just because he likes how bronze feels. Could be a fetish thing.

He does look ecstatic.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

most of the other examples seem they took a bunch of movie stills and had people say what they thought about the two people interacting in the scene, then their NN rolled some dice and spit out some of the common options (ie. they wanted to talk, or they did not want to talk; possibly both or neither)

there's a recent paper which trained one of these photo recognition/conversation networks which has state of the art performance, and also doesn't see any of the photos, it's 100% cold reading the user

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

there's a recent paper which trained one of these photo recognition/conversation networks which has state of the art performance, and also doesn't see any of the photos, it's 100% cold reading the user

Honestly this is probably easier to do than to actually build photo recognition software.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Honestly this is probably easier to do than to actually build photo recognition software.

extremely easier

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Sorry about the huge text, I just like the chart range.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

What, you think "more" per 100k isn't clear?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Per 100k” is for cowards who are afraid of negative exponents, and it’s even worse when the legend isn’t quantified.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What's the point of a state flag that you can't jack it to

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Phlegmish posted:

Luckily I have an anchor fetish

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

You can jack it to any state flag if you try hard and believe in yourself.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

The Bloop posted:

Luckily I have an anchor fetish

Hell yeah~ I used to work right across the street from the Capitol so I got the giant anchor flags AND a good view of The Independent Man's toes.

I nominate for the thread all the COVID-19 cumulative case/death graphs that fit a smooth curve to their data points and end up with days with negative deaths.

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate

Cichlidae posted:

death graphs that fit a smooth curve to their data points and end up with days with negative deaths.

Jesus was a statistical anomoly.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
You’re the expert.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/theonion/status/1234903384207110145?lang=en

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

My state has a bare boob.

She's standing on a dead guy, but w/e - BOOB!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Phlegmish posted:

Buddy, they won't even let me jack off to it.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Memento posted:

Buddy, they won't even let me jack off to it.

common misconception. flag code states you can't sexual gratify yourself to the national flag. state flags are fair game, with the important caveat that it's treason to bust to any confederate or confederate-derived flag.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Mr. Fix It posted:

common misconception. flag code states you can't sexual gratify yourself to the national flag. state flags are fair game, with the important caveat that it's treason to bust to any confederate or confederate-derived flag.

waiting for the tweets "its a heritage boner not a hate boner"

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Actually it was about states rights to have boners

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Very few of the men who fought for the South actually owned boners

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Is this what the South will rise again is talking about?

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.
Idaho's flag's got a sexy lady and a sexy miner dude so there's more for everyone.

Esto Perpetua? More like Estrus Perpetua.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Fix It posted:

The 2001–2003 flag of Georgia is bad, but is it Confederate-derived?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Platystemon posted:

It contains the 1956-2001 flag so yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Platystemon posted:

yeah, but it still is:

first flag of the confederacy:

georgia: