Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Popoto posted:

ugh, great. So im hosed. I'll eat my shoes for a few months / rack up credit card debt on food if needed. just when you think you're out of the gutter... i'll take comfort in knowing this is prob the case for thousands and thousands of people. company through misery

It's really gross. We know they have the ability to distribute this money really easily, and a lot of people need it. I understand not giving it to people still employed, but people like you, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Frosted Flake posted:

Someone tell me this is unique to VAC and other social services aren’t so Byzantine and frustrating.

it's not and they are and the rules are inflexible and lead to a lot of incredibly perverse scenarios and the systems that might alleviate that have been effectively removed because having things like dedicated case workers was just too gosh darn costly

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pinterest Mom posted:

It's really gross. We know they have the ability to distribute this money really easily, and a lot of people need it. I understand not giving it to people still employed, but people like you, man.

They can't show everyone its easy to just end poverty with the stroke of a pen. When is the time to turn poverty back on?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

infernal machines posted:

it's not and they are and the rules are inflexible and lead to a lot of incredibly perverse scenarios and the systems that might alleviate that have been effectively removed because having things like dedicated case workers was just too gosh darn costly

What kills me about VAC is that it’s a 180 from military benefits.

The military is push logistics. If you are hurt they sign you up for programs, if you want to go to school they sign you up and take care of all the back-end. You are constantly being asked if you need a service or to be signed up for a program.

Miss a doctors appointment? Someone will check in on you. Seem down? You’ve been referred to a psych, and they went through your case history and signed you up for psychology and a neuropsychologist too. Your annual eye exam suggested you need glasses? Take this form here and pick up your 3 pairs.

VAC is pull logistics. You have to ask for a program, you have to complete your application and frankly you have to know that program even exists because nobody is going to tell you.

Even taking the fact that asking people with injuries, PTSD, even anxiety and depression to be incredibly active, engaged and in the driver’s seat of their own recovery aside, this is clearly not as efficient if the purpose is delivering services.

VAC then responds to any criticism by saying “we have all of these services!” and sometimes “nobody is utilizing our great program”.

Yeah, well no loving poo poo.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Remember when we decided that opt-in tax breaks don't actually help the people they're supposed to?

VAC is like that but for injured, mentally-ill and "hard-to-employ; unspecified" veterans of all ages.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

lol they’re paying to clean up the oil sectors abandoned wells

private profit. public cost as usual

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Noblesse Obliged posted:

lol they’re paying to clean up the oil sectors abandoned wells

private profit. public cost as usual

The government is building pipelines and giving tax breaks and cleaning up their messes so private companies can hire temporary foreign workers and hide the profits offshore.

Nice industry, good job.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Another Bill posted:

The government is building pipelines and giving tax breaks and cleaning up their messes so private companies can hire temporary foreign workers and hide the profits offshore.

Nice industry, good job.

CTV was interviewing a farmer about agriculture’s requirements which was 100 percent “we need our temporary foreign slaves”.

when asked for the reasons why Canadians can’t do this he literally said that the reason is that we are not reliable and we cannot take the weather for harvesting.

literally the same arguments from the antebellum south for why black people are needed to pick cotton

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Trudeau would not answer the specific question from the press that said “will the ONLY thing that could happen to people who apply for CERB and do NOT qualify would only have to pay back the amount without any further penalty”

went onto a complete non answer

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Frosted Flake posted:

What kills me about VAC is that it’s a 180 from military benefits.

The military is push logistics. If you are hurt they sign you up for programs, if you want to go to school they sign you up and take care of all the back-end. You are constantly being asked if you need a service or to be signed up for a program.

Miss a doctors appointment? Someone will check in on you. Seem down? You’ve been referred to a psych, and they went through your case history and signed you up for psychology and a neuropsychologist too. Your annual eye exam suggested you need glasses? Take this form here and pick up your 3 pairs.

VAC is pull logistics. You have to ask for a program, you have to complete your application and frankly you have to know that program even exists because nobody is going to tell you.

Even taking the fact that asking people with injuries, PTSD, even anxiety and depression to be incredibly active, engaged and in the driver’s seat of their own recovery aside, this is clearly not as efficient if the purpose is delivering services.

VAC then responds to any criticism by saying “we have all of these services!” and sometimes “nobody is utilizing our great program”.

Yeah, well no loving poo poo.

it's incredibly frustrating because we know with absolute certainty that one approach has measurably better outcomes than the other, and almost certainly saves money in the long term, but we will not implement it everywhere because we have some pathological need for "lean" government and the one place that's trivial to gut whenever you need to look like you're doing something to reduce expenditures is social services

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm mad that Matt Taibbi's The Divide is so loving relevant right now.

gently caress means testing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Trudeau would not answer the specific question from the press that said “will the ONLY thing that could happen to people who apply for CERB and do NOT qualify would only have to pay back the amount without any further penalty”

this is what the legislation says:
https://www.parl.ca/DocumentViewer/en/43-1/bill/C-13/royal-assent

Bill c13 posted:

Return of erroneous payment or overpayment
12 (1) If the Minister determines that a person has received an income support payment to which the person is not entitled, or an amount in excess of the amount of such a payment to which the person is entitled, the person must repay the amount of the payment or the excess amount, as the case may be, as soon as is feasible.

Recovery as debt due to Her Majesty
(2) The amount of the erroneous payment or overpayment, as determined by the Minister, constitutes a debt due to Her Majesty in right of Canada, as of the day on which it was paid, that may be recovered by the Minister.

Certificate of default
(3) The amount of any debt referred to in subsection (2) may be certified by the Minister, and registration of the certificate in the Federal Court has the same effect as a judgment of that Court for the amount specified in the certificate and all related registration costs.

Limitation or prescription period
13 (1) Subject to subsections (2) to (7), no action or proceedings are to be taken to recover money owing under this Act after the expiry of the six-year limitation or prescription period that begins on the day on which the money becomes due and payable.

Deduction, set-off or compensation
(2) Money owing by a person under this Act may be recovered at any time by way of deduction from, set-off against or compensation against any sum of money, including an income support payment under this Act, that may be due or payable by Her Majesty in right of Canada to the person, other than an amount payable under section 122.‍61 of the Income Tax Act.

Acknowledgment of liability
(3) If a person’s liability for money owing under this Act is acknowledged in accordance with subsection (5), the time during which the limitation or prescription period has run before the acknowledgment does not count in the calculation of that period.

Acknowledgment after expiry of limitation or prescription period
(4) If a person’s liability for money owing under this Act is acknowledged in accordance with subsection (5) after the expiry of the limitation or prescription period, an action or proceedings to recover the money may, subject to subsections (3) and (6), be brought within six years after the date of the acknowledgment.

Types of acknowledgment
(5) An acknowledgment of liability means
(a) a promise to pay the money owing, made by the person or their agent, mandatary or other representative;
(b) an acknowledgment of the money owing, made by the person or their agent, mandatary or other representative, whether or not a promise to pay can be implied from it and whether or not it contains a refusal to pay;
(c) a part payment by the person or their agent, mandatary or other representative of any money owing; or
(d) an acknowledgment of the money owing, made in the course of proceedings under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act or any other legislation dealing with the payment of debts by the person, their agent, mandatary or other representative or the trustee or administrator.

Limitation or prescription period suspended
(6) The running of a limitation or prescription period in respect of money owing under this Act is suspended during any period in which it is prohibited to commence or continue an action or other proceedings against the person to recover money owing under this Act.

Enforcement proceedings
(7) This section does not apply in respect of an action or proceedings relating to the execution, renewal or enforcement of a judgment.
No interest payable
14 No interest is payable on any amount owing to Her Majesty in right of Canada under this Act as a result of an erroneous payment or overpayment.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

"Erroneous" isn't "fraudulent"

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

so he was being dodgy either because of section 3 where court fees will apply or they will consider it fraudulent and prosecute

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

either way. be careful applying for this thing.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
means testing is the government testing how mean they can be before we kick them out

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Noblesse Obliged posted:

they probably don't want people who still have jobs to use it as an interest-free loan

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Makes you wonder how many people that barely read stuff, or don't have a good comprehension of english, apply for this, get automatically approved, and then will receive a surprise tax/repo next year or not so long after.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Concern trolling paying the money back fails to contextualize that this thing won't be over until 2022. At minimum. There'll be money needed for much, much longer than 16 weeks. Might as well start now, even bet this will bloom into pandemic UBI for all by August.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Isizzlehorn posted:

Concern trolling paying the money back fails to contextualize that this thing won't be over until 2022. At minimum. There'll be money needed for much, much longer than 16 weeks. Might as well start now, even bet this will bloom into pandemic UBI for all by August.

I've heard through back channels, from people working with UBI movements in Canada and in touch with some ministers, that there are current talks going on privately to implement such a measure, but that they're trying to figure out how they can pass it without it becoming a weapon against them through the conservatives later on. Or something like that.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Juul-Whip posted:

they probably don't want people who still have jobs to use it as an interest-free loan

personally I feel it should be universal and I couldn’t care less if rich people benefit.

that’s better than poor people getting hit with a year of this benefit to payback after it’s over because there’s massive holes in it people are falling through.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Popoto posted:

I've heard through back channels, from people working with UBI movements in Canada and in touch with some ministers, that there are current talks going on privately to implement such a measure, but that they're trying to figure out how they can pass it without it becoming a weapon against them through the conservatives later on. Or something like that.

They used military pension for life as an election promise, and as I said that’s $100/mo in my case.

I wouldn’t be surprised if UBI is $50/biweekly.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Popoto posted:

The pandemic is not the only problem. The world economy is shredded and something like UBI will be needed even after it is safe to go outside.

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS

Popoto posted:

it would be very typical of the liberals to be concerned that a wildly popular social program which would put money directly in the hands of ordinary voters would somehow lose them an election

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
my wife is pregnant and the hospitals here are not scheduling anymore ultrasounds and all non-covid stuff is being pushed, which is interesting given the infection rate has been sitting at 12 in western manitoba for a week and a half

also I heard that hospital workers in westman just started getting ppe today

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Popoto posted:

Lol this is the exact same poo poo they’ve been feeding me and my friends about the conversion therapy ban. gently caress this government.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Literal Hamster posted:

it would be very typical of the liberals to be concerned that a wildly popular social program which would put money directly in the hands of ordinary voters would somehow lose them an election

If I recall, Ontario not having pharmacare boils down to this. The Liberals can’t bear to lose their trump card for whenever the NDP polls too well.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

look, if we give the donkey the carrot, how are we going to get him to go where we want?

sheesh

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Literal Hamster posted:

They don't care about winning elections. They care about their corporate funders, that's what keeps the party going.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Arivia posted:

Lol this is the exact same poo poo they’ve been feeding me and my friends about the conversion therapy ban. gently caress this government.

Look, you see, we're on your side and we'd absolutely love to do the good thing that we all agree is good, but you know, not everyone is as enlightened as we are, we have to be careful otherwise the conservatives will use this as an attack to win the next election and undo the good thing, so we need to take our time and test the waters with a commission and some unofficial surveys and maybe a few leaked proposals, and then implement a small-scale version of the good thing that will only apply to a few edge cases, and then if you elect us for another term we'll definitely be able to do the good thing you want then. Needless to say, this is all off the record of course.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

gently caress that, just send a backbencher out there to say the loud part loud and let the sharpness of the pitchforks determine whether or not you should actually go through with it

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Isn’t that what they did with electoral reform, a plan that hinged on the public believing that MP just couldn’t do math?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I was thinking more about the federal tories doing it with the abortion debate, but yeah that one works too

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol

No signing bonus, no thank you.

Destroy my mental and physical health once, shame on you. Destroy my mental and physical health twice, -- you can't get fooled again. You've got to understand the nature of the regime we're dealing with.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Anybody get their GST Trudeaubux yet? I dont have direct deposit with the CRA because lmao service Canada's website, but the site says they should have been sent out on the 9th and hoo man am I poor :smith:

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Yeah, I and a couple roommates got cheques in the mail, mine was around 400.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

infernal machines posted:

probably the greatest canadian

interesting how the best forums posters are all from the commonwealth

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Look, you see, we're on your side and we'd absolutely love to do the good thing that we all agree is good, but you know, not everyone is as enlightened as we are, we have to be careful otherwise the conservatives will use this as an attack to win the next election and undo the good thing, so we need to take our time and test the waters with a commission and some unofficial surveys and maybe a few leaked proposals, and then implement a small-scale version of the good thing that will only apply to a few edge cases, and then if you elect us for another term we'll definitely be able to do the good thing you want then. Needless to say, this is all off the record of course.

Yeah the whole thing is very very much couched in terms of “we don’t want to make the mildest amount of noise and provoke a charter challenge from the evangelicals” let alone make it something the Cons might vote against. Tough cookie. They’re going to do it right or not at all.

E: I received my 400ish in tax rebates this month just fine but it was three different payments and I had to do some googling to figure out which is which

Arivia has issued a correction as of 23:11 on Apr 17, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I got 300 bucks, which I used to buy food and the FFVII Remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Apparently small business owners are getting 10000 grants and 40000 interest free loans while you Poor's are talking about a few hundred dollars. Lol.