Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Someone I used to work with years ago called their child Tzigane after a piece of music and now I'm wondering if they ever googled it.

:stare:

Do they live in the UK?

There are Russian surnames that have 'tzigan' as their root, e.g. Tzigannikov, Tziganyuk, but naming someone Tzigane is rather odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Gonzo McFee posted:

Stop clapping for me it's getting embarrassing

love when NHS workers say this kind of thing on twitter and the mob turns on them for not truly loving the NHS

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

communism bitch posted:

I haven't heard anybody clapping in my town and I love it tbh

On my mum's estate on Hayling Island last week it consisted of a minute of solid whooping mixed with hitting pans with spoons, followed by someone playing 'The Last Post' and 'We'll Meet Again' on their tablet. My mum looked suitably mortified, while I'm pretty sure everyone could hear me laughing

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

baka kaba posted:

love when NHS workers say this kind of thing on twitter and the mob turns on them for not truly loving the NHS

No True NHS Worker :fuckoff:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
The Clap is catching on where I live. The first week nobody did it but last night there was a lot of it and even a bloke out with bagpipes

People who aren't curmudgeonly grumpy goons generally like joining in things, I suppose

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Like pandemics.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I hate myself for hating the clap.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I'd like it better if there was also a national outcry about what people in the NHS are going through and why nothing's being done about it. Solidarity's great, but right now it feels like a lot of people collectively telling themselves everything's cool - especially when you see the outrage at NHS workers criticising it (or not just being sufficiently grateful)

all feels a bit like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSf4NRE3OcI&t=5s

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

The Perfect Element posted:

I hate myself for hating the clap.

It's understandable as made clear in this fine tune from Lawnmower Deth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daB4qAvMQzU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The clap isn't inherently a good or bad thing, but its political character is very much up for argument. Is it like the 'community efforts' after the London riots which were middle class people cleaning up the glass and then cheering on the police and the courts as they sent people down for 2 years for nicking a pair of shorts or part of a wider platform of support for a vital service which has been cruelly mistreated? I've supported NHS strikes, I've voted Labour and I have clapped a bit because it's a coherent gesture of support along with the rest of my actions and beliefs.

It doesn't matter whether you clap or not but you absolutely need to hammer people who do clap into turning a simple gesture into meaningful support.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
So I think I'm gonna cancel my membership of Labour, and possibly Unison, and put the money into joining the IWW instead. A good idea? Do they do much useful stuff? They seem pretty sound, but I'm quite new to Actually Doing Stuff beyond voting in whatever ballot papers that happen come through my door.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Someone I used to work with years ago called their child Tzigane after a piece of music and now I'm wondering if they ever googled it.

it's a great piece tbf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7d8DXb1kbI

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Probably don't leave a union if it will leave you in a workplace without one. No matter how lovely their politics you might need legal support if your employer tries to gently caress you

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Ditch Unison, think very hard before ditching Labour. The PLP and bureaucracy may be awful but it is still one of the biggest and most effective spaces for left-wing organising in the UK, and short of some serious political upheaval will remain so. You're going to be able to do a lot more working with groups like Momentum than you are outside the party (though that's not to say don't also join the IWW and other groups). If you leave, you hand victory to the enemy unless you have a viable national-level power structure outside the party, which as far as I can see does not exist in the UK at present.

crispix posted:

Probably don't leave a union if it will leave you in a workplace without one. No matter how lovely their politics you might need legal support if your employer tries to gently caress you

This too, yeah. You might be able to shift over to Unite or some other broad base union fairly easily though.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Answers Me posted:

So I think I'm gonna cancel my membership of Labour, and possibly Unison, and put the money into joining the IWW instead. A good idea? Do they do much useful stuff? They seem pretty sound, but I'm quite new to Actually Doing Stuff beyond voting in whatever ballot papers that happen come through my door.

They have a corona fund going, but if they do anything is basically up to you and your chapter since everyone is a volunteer. They don't have paid staff iirc. I'm sure Borrovan could elaborate way more than me!

Also make sure you are still a member of whatever union is the biggest where you work so you're covered legally since unfortunately the iww doesn't have that many resources.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

Ditch Unison, think very hard before ditching Labour. The PLP and bureaucracy may be awful but it is still one of the biggest and most effective spaces for left-wing organising in the UK, and short of some serious political upheaval will remain so. You're going to be able to do a lot more working with groups like Momentum than you are outside the party (though that's not to say don't also join the IWW and other groups). If you leave, you hand victory to the enemy unless you have a viable national-level power structure outside the party, which as far as I can see does not exist in the UK at present.

This too, yeah. You might be able to shift over to Unite or some other broad base union fairly easily though.

Fair play, thanks all. Maybe I'll just stick with the current arrangement and actually pull my finger out when this is over.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Endjinneer posted:

How much is in the solidarity fund? Can we buy it?
I'm down for chipping in to buy the JC and make Miftan the Chief Editor.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Guavanaut posted:

I'm down for chipping in to buy the JC and make Miftan the Chief Editor.

I'd do it for a substantially reduced salary (from the old editor I don't know if you can legally reduce my salary atm lol)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Had a thought - what if people picked a random day - say Wednesday or Tuesday - and went outside at 8pm and started clapping. How long before other people would come out and clap even though they have no idea what you are clapping for? But maybe now is not the time for wind ups.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/jroberts332/status/1251230259808219136

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

A slight touch of the photoshops methinks!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This, however, is 100% real.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Guavanaut posted:

Behold, sinners, the demon of a thousand ragged arseholes.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Blimey, Prince William on the left there has let himself go

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Hey how do people know when Morrison's add extra delivery slots? Is it some insider info about when they're being released, or is it just on a particular day of the week?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I'm going shopping weekly, loading up my camping backpack and hoofing it back. Then I disinfect anything I want to use that day or anything that needs to go in the fridge or freezer, leave the rest for a few days before putting them away.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Wear this and tell everyone it's a burqa.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/Orwell_Fan/status/1251260413209120768

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I was asked today what I think about the nurses who treated Boris Johnson being basically the only ones to get any sort of praise.
I was on shift, so I muttered "I doubt anyone who works in the NHS does it for praise" in lieu of saying something political and offending a member of the public.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

kingturnip posted:

Just done a back-garden haircut with the clippers and then sat in on an hour-long videocall while trying to keep the camera still enough that no-one could see the assorted detritus in my room.
Fun times.

If it's zoom you're using, allow me to commend the 'virtual background' feature. Cunningly blocks all your assorted detritus and replaces it with an image of your choosing.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Prince John posted:

If it's zoom you're using, allow me to commend the 'virtual background' feature. Cunningly blocks all your assorted detritus and replaces it with an image of your choosing.

I tried it in a cluttered office and it managed to only pick up the door and turn it into a portal to a starry void.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Which still seems like it would distract from the mess.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I don’t think anybody here does clapping, they just let fireworks off incredibly close to our block of flats instead.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Prince John posted:

Some fans of the film have made a zoom virtual background of the famous Miami meeting room from the 1983 Scarface movie, where he kills everyone in attendance, which depending on the sort of meeting may be an asset.

It has 80s palm trees.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

^^ That sounds amazing.

Oh that's a shame, I get full coverage. Just asking the dumb question on the offchance, but you don't have the 'i have a green screen' option ticked do you? That messes it right up if you don't actually have one.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Cerv posted:

put the company into liquidation on the assumption that no-one else would be interested in buying it. they get the assets (the brand basically) cheap, and the liabilities are gone. creditors are shafted getting only pennies on the pound. staff laid off cheaply. a cosy stitch-up.

but, now a rival bid has come in who are offering more cash and to pay the liabilities in full. so the independent liquidators, whose sole job is to find the best return for creditors, are obviously going to be taking that instead unless the current management can come up with something bigger to trump it.

good! I hope they learn an expensive lesson, and it serves as a warning to anyone else who thinks they can use one weird trick to escape their liabilities at everyone else’s expense.
I once had a boss who'd done this at least twice - picking up all his old company's assets cheap and starting a new company in the same building while leaving creditors in the poo poo - to the point of having to hire effectively an office bouncer to protect him from pissed-off people demanding money. Right after I left he did it again, leaving me out of pocket on a bunch of freelance stuff I'd done that wasn't part of my regular work. About a year later I got maybe 10% of what I was owed. Thankfully I wasn't depending on it for food or rent.

Why anyone's allowed to do this more than once, and even on that one time without massive restrictions on their subsequent actions, is a mystery. But hey, that's capitalism!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

If you have a solid bright coloured sheet etc that isn't near skin tone that you can hang up or tape to a wall, the video mixing software OBS will let you pick any colour to chromakey out and drop in any background (stills or video) that you want.

https://obsproject.com

OBS will pipe out to a virtual webcam via a plugin, but not every video conferencing software will see the vcam. Zoom does, discord does, the StarLeaf we use for work only does in their web client, not the windows app.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Question; why is the government announcing that it's another 3 weeks of lockdown while also announcing the furlough support will be going on for at least 3 months? Is there some public good to tricking some people into thinking 'it might only be another few weeks' while the Savvy Reader understands it'll be much longer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Vitamin P posted:

Question; why is the government announcing that it's another 3 weeks of lockdown while also announcing the furlough support will be going on for at least 3 months? Is there some public good to tricking some people into thinking 'it might only be another few weeks' while the Savvy Reader understands it'll be much longer?

I think the lifting of the lockdown is intended/expected to be a progressive thing rather than ending all quarantine efforts all at once? So the additional three weeks is just to the beginning of that, but we can't expect everyone to be back to normal for much longer.