Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Thinking it over, the whole Seven Seconds thing is definitely the time it took Sephiroth to kill Aerith in the original scene. I imagine with that foreknowledge, Cloud would be compelled to try a heroic save there. Which in all likelihood *would* get him killed instead. That would certainly be a thing to close a hypothetical second game on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How a lot of people feel about the ending:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVFQSiGTtjk&t=2h32m10s

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Because I need to think about something in the shower, I was wondering what kind of playstyles would work for the rest of the FF7 crew. I came up with something like this:
-Cid is a beefier phys-based brawler, kind of like melee Barrett but with actual air attacks. Triangle is Jump (duh) where the longer you charge it the stronger it is but the longer he has to stay in the air.
-Cait Sith is a sturdy magic user whose triangle ability is slots, but he can alter its luck and overall power with his abilities, kind of like Tifa's chi.
-Yuffie can use trangle to swap between melee and ranged- her weapon/upgrades determine what range is physical or magic.
-Vincent is normally a glass-cannon physical ranged fighter, but doesn't have a regular limit break, his limit bar acts as the resource for his transformations which he can activate at any time with triangle.
-I honestly cant remember anything about how Red actually plays in the original, I dunno, a fast caster?

Tell me how wrong I am and what you think everyone should play like!

They're just the job classes or play similar to w/e the stereotypical D&D equivalent is.

Cloud -- Fighter (pure attack)
Barret -- Knight (fighter but more defensive )
Tifa -- Monk (Selfish DPS / small buffs)
Aerith -- Summoner / Black Mage / "Geomancer" / White Mage (Mostly casting)
Nanaki XIII -- Red Mage (Mixed Casting with a bit of Physical)

Cait Sith -- Gambler (Direct continuation of Setzer in FF6) + Beastmaster from FF5
Cid -- Dragoon (High crit / high risk attacker)
Yuffie -- Assassin / Ninja
Vincent - Berserker

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

DeathChicken posted:

Thinking it over, the whole Seven Seconds thing is definitely the time it took Sephiroth to kill Aerith in the original scene. I imagine with that foreknowledge, Cloud would be compelled to try a heroic save there. Which in all likelihood *would* get him killed instead. That would certainly be a thing to close a hypothetical second game on.

If Aerith lives, she summons Holy and the meteor crisis is completely averted.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Yea, preventing her death seems too easy a change to make; if it is prevented I would assume Sephiroth would gain some sort of advantage afterwards.

I'm also still concerned that the Whispers are being manipulated by Sephiroth or something.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Whispers gone, dude.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Would it? As I recall, she finished the Holy summon anyway before getting killed. It just didn't work because Sephiroth was still in the Lifestream blocking it up.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:lmao:

I love the game and the best thing is all the meltdowns and nerd tears.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Mike the TV posted:

If Aerith lives, she summons Holy and the meteor crisis is completely averted.

Maybe the cost of saving Aerith is the destruction of the Holy materia forcing our heroes to find another way to save this doomed world. That could be alright.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

DeathChicken posted:

Would it? As I recall, she finished the Holy summon anyway before getting killed. It just didn't work because Sephiroth was still in the Lifestream blocking it up.

The inner workings of Holy are kind-of a mess...

Pollyanna posted:

Whispers gone, dude.

There's a real problem in this thread of treating the 'meta-narrative' ya'll like as the actual one.

There is no second game yet.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

DeathChicken posted:

He only fell into the lifestream and started blocking it after that happened.

edit: Sephiroth and Cloud fell into the lifestream together.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

This man has the most joyless American voice

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Out of curiosity, am I the only around here who didn't even get really interested in the Remake until the grapevine leaked they were gonna get funky with it?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Caidin posted:

Out of curiosity, am I the only around here who didn't even get really interested in the Remake until the grapevine leaked they were gonna get funky with it?

Yeah I couldn't really give a poo poo about something that was the frankly naff gameplay and storytelling from the first game with a new coat of paint.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Caidin posted:

I intentionally boxed myself out of any and all information about the remake outside of the recent E3 trailer, and I think it was the right decision. Means I didn't go in with any expectations, so I couldn't be disappointed easily.

That said, getting funky with an existing game means there's the possibility of something new, which is also a very, very good thing. And also interesting.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I would have been fine with a straight-up remake. But what I got has made me more excited for future games than a straight remake would have. I still would have been excited but it wouldn't have brought any surprises.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Caidin posted:

Definitely not. What I remember about playing FFVII when I was 14 was that the characters and subplots in each town were a lot of fun -- Red XIII learning about his dad, run-ins with the Turks, Golden Saucer, etc. -- but that the overarching plot around Meteor/Holy, Jenova, the Cetra...basically anything involving Sephiroth, was incomprehensible garbage. So the Remake where they've kept all the good character stuff but are playing around with everything else is right up my alley.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
I missed like four pages yeeeeeesh

• The Turks, and Reno in particular in the original, absolutely got off too easy canonically. Reno is directly responsible for dropping the plate, which killed more people than Rude did this time because nobody had time to evacuate, and he did so knowing that's exactly what dropping the plate would do. I love Reno's character outside of that moment, but to pretend it doesn't exist is kinda crazy, which the narrative itself does by turning him into Team Rocket/comic relief for the rest of Compilation. "Hey, remember this guy who did a 9/11? He's funny now!" maybe kinda worked in 1997, but today would have been EXTREMELY tone-deaf -- which is why I think that a) they made Rude do it instead of super-fan-favorite Reno, and b) gave the two main Turks explicit dialogue where they seem iffy on what they're doing. Humanizing Reno was one of the changes I called my shot on pre-release, and they essentially did that here.
  • I don't know how many more ways it's possible to say that the Whispers are both not a thumb in the eye of the game's existing fanbase but also a metaphorical commentary on the pressures to leave the original more or less exactly intact with no changes; in an interview linked in this very thread the stated motivation of the team was to create a game that was as meaningful and moving to a new generation as FF7 was for them, and OG FF7 has ports on current gen consoles. To accomplish their goal they were always going to have to do something different. I don't think it was a hastily-made decision or that corporate suits had much if any input on the direction FF7R took. It is a passion project for a lot of these people, and it shows. "Cautious optimism about where it goes from here" is 100% the appropriate reaction in my mind.
  • Seeing what each character's unique mechanic would be is part of why I'm so excited for a sequel, but materia is so flexible of a system I'm hesitant to think of the FF7 crew in terms of "classes." Like, I think during development Cloud was supposed to be a magic knight, or whatever. So instead I'll say I think the remainder of the cast will go like: Red XIII (melee, unique action is a pounce that puts normal enemies in Bound and just does flat damage to bosses instead); Yuffie (ranged/melee depending on equipped weapon, unique action is a ninja teleport with follow-ups); Cait Sith (ranged, unique action is a chargeable Shout that does different party-wide buffs the longer you hold the button); Cid (melee, unique action is a Final Fantasy jump); Vincent (ranged, unique action is a claw swipe that steals a small amount of HP and MP and slightly builds his Limit)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Caidin posted:

Absolutely, I didn't give a poo poo about it until I heard about the time ghosts

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“poo poo uh...we need to get this destiny thing back on track.”

*Aerith triggers her peanut allergy and dies, meteor immediately explodes*

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

HD DAD posted:

“poo poo uh...we need to get this destiny thing back on track.”

*Aerith triggers her peanut allergy and dies, meteor immediately explodes*

A Final Destination scenario where Aerith keeps narrowly avoiding increasingly unlikely causes of death

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

That would be kind of awesome if Sephiroth did a "Save the girl or save the world, Cloud!" thing, Cloud saved the girl, and then everyone else spends the game giving him dirty looks

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

The direction this is heading is exactly what I was hoping for, and I have to say if Aerith still ends up dying after all kinds of rigamarole and making us fall double in love with all these characters I will PISS.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

DeathChicken posted:

That would be kind of awesome if Sephiroth did a "Save the girl or save the world, Cloud!" thing, Cloud saved the girl, and then everyone else spends the game giving him dirty looks

Yeah if Holy is destroyed by saving Aerith, then the planet is 100% hosed.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Mike the TV posted:

They'll go all Advent Children on Meteor. Cloud will be thrown through it and slash Sephiroth on the other side.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Mike the TV posted:

Sounds like the perfect time to employ a manned spaceflight mission into the heart of the Meteor and hit it's giant red weak point before it can collide with the planet!

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

if someone in this plot has the ability to change 7 seconds of the past they could solve pretty much everything by just going back 25 years and pushing hojo in front of a train

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

cock hero flux posted:

they could solve pretty much everything by just going back 25 years and pushing hojo in front of a train

and nothing of value was lost

God I hate Hojo so much. He's an effectively written character and all (anyone you hate that much kinda has to be?) but holy drat one of the things that hasn't changed between 10 y/o me and now is that I loving hate Hojo

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!
Barret: Whats that dinky pistol gonna do? I've been face-tanking guns all game.

President Shinra: None of the other guns were GOLD

Barret:.....al-alright now, lets not do anything crazy

also-

Tifa: NO Barret, don't drop him off the roof.

Barret: The gently caress? Girl, you know we terrorist right?

Klisejo fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 17, 2020

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

guts and bolts posted:

and nothing of value was lost

God I hate Hojo so much. He's an effectively written character and all (anyone you hate that much kinda has to be?) but holy drat one of the things that hasn't changed between 10 y/o me and now is that I loving hate Hojo

He gets creepier and greasier with every iteration and all I can think is loving Lucrecia looked at this dude and said "Yes. I need that in me immediately."

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Flopsy posted:

He gets creepier and greasier with every iteration and all I can think is loving Lucrecia looked at this dude and said "Yes. I need that in me immediately."

Hojo in his bathing suit explains everything

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Caidin posted:

Sounds like the perfect time to employ a manned spaceflight mission into the heart of the Meteor and hit it's giant red weak point before it can collide with the planet!

Hire this poster Square-Enix.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I still don't understand why he wasn't aced while chilling on the beach, he's right there undefended.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
That scene reminds me of Earthbound for some reason.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Mike the TV posted:

Hojo in his bathing suit explains everything

*dry heaves*

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Aerith living might mean Sephiroth doesn't get the Black Materia in the first place which means no Meteor at all. Of course then what happens to the last chunk of the game is anyone's guess.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Flopsy posted:

Hojo and his cadre of attractive women may speak to this.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

McTimmy posted:

Aerith living might mean Sephiroth doesn't get the Black Materia in the first place which means no Meteor at all. Of course then what happens to the last chunk of the game is anyone's guess.
Aerith gets the black materia to drop meteor on Sephiroth, and Sephiroth casts holy to counter it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

McTimmy posted:

Roche gets black materia instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

homeless snail posted:

Aerith gets the black materia to drop meteor on Sephiroth, and Sephiroth casts holy to counter it

Cloud descends from who the gently caress knows where and stabs Sephiroth.