Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
I bought this game twice over the last couple years and just couldn't quite get into it, but I bought it again during this quarantine and... I'm obsessed now. Just bought all the DLC I was missing and plan on dumping a couple hundred hours into this until life is back to normal.

Lizardmen are the best and that's just a fact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Looking at endgame dark elf doom stacks. Do people prefer dragons, hydras or kharybys stacks?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Arcsquad12 posted:

Looking at endgame dark elf doom stacks. Do people prefer dragons, hydras or kharybys stacks?

Dragons are superior to Hydras and both are wildly better than Kharybdis who don't get flying or regen.

They're also not nearly as cost effective as just rolling with Dark Elf's broken ranged poo poo, but they are more fun.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like coming up with bad names for factions. Melvin the leader of the high elves down south in the vortex map, the Hell Bronies if Hellebron, and the Skaven of Guacamole Crater.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
As someone whose entire knowledge of WHF lore comes from playing 6th edition in 2000 - 2005, there are definitely some weird lord ommissions. Though none of them are individually the biggest miss, I'd absolutely have to say Vampire Counts are the weirdest on that front because there are quite a few - Zacharias the Everliving, Neferata, Blood Dragons have THREE reasonable claims but we only have Red Duke, the lamest and probably weakest, as NPC lord in-game, etc etc. That's not even talking characters who are too Lore Important like Nagash, or viable additions but really didn't have much relevance like Ushoran. For biggest individual misses it's easily Thanquol, how he isn't in the game is beyond me, but Valten and Eltharion are also weird. Valten I guess was a 'you had to be there' character who basically was 6th edition: the character, but he was huge when I played, and Eltharion - even if he does finally get added - is quite weird for me since he was absolutely the third most prominent lore HE after the T-bros.

I'm sure there would be others but honestly I don't remember any greenskin/dwarf names or lords, they all run together and are too bland as characters (fight me). And other races like DE/Lizards are well-represented and have little to add.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 16, 2020

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Burginator posted:

Lizardmen are the best and that's just a fact

:hai:

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm a medusa-man now

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Insurrectionist posted:

As someone whose entire knowledge of WHF lore comes from playing 6th edition in 2000 - 2005, there are definitely some weird lord ommissions. Though none of them are individually the biggest miss, I'd absolutely have to say Vampire Counts are the weirdest on that front because there are quite a few - Zacharias the Everliving, Neferata, Blood Dragons have THREE reasonable claims but we only have Red Duke, the lamest and probably weakest, as NPC lord in-game, etc etc. That's not even talking characters who are too Lore Important like Nagash, or viable additions but really didn't have much relevance like Ushoran. For biggest individual misses it's easily Thanquol, how he isn't in the game is beyond me, but Valten and Eltharion are also weird. Valten I guess was a 'you had to be there' character who basically was 6th edition: the character, but he was huge when I played, and Eltharion - even if he does finally get added - is quite weird for me since he was absolutely the third most prominent lore HE after the T-bros.

I'm sure there would be others but honestly I don't remember any greenskin/dwarf names or lords, they all run together and are too bland as characters (fight me). And other races like DE/Lizards are well-represented and have little to add.

I think most of this is actually good because those characters will 95% show up in game 3 cooler than they would have in 2016 or whatever.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Arbite posted:

For the past half day the game keeps crashing upon after launch or shortly therafter. I haven't changed any settings, has this happened to anyone else?

I had this a couple of weeks back. Verifying the game's files didn't fix it, but unsubbing and then redownloading a couple of my mods did.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Insurrectionist posted:

As someone whose entire knowledge of WHF lore comes from playing 6th edition in 2000 - 2005, there are definitely some weird lord ommissions.

mixus legendary lords and heroes packs are a nice addition to them game

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yikes! posted:

:hai:

I'm a medusa-man now

what, like.... a snake beard?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Toozler posted:

Just discovered this game a week ago and loving it. Now that WH1 is on sale i'll probably grab it to try ME. What is the ME objective? Just conquer/expand sandbox without the ritual gimmick? Do these bullshit Chaos doomstack spawns happen there too

Every ME objective is a little different per Lord and you want to click the victory conditions tab in the bottom right corner and check your short victory. Chaos spawns as the game goes on, generally tied to turn number and/or the player's progression.

Insurrectionist posted:

The AMA that CA gave recently said that they've heard the Thanquol love and seems a pretty wink wink nudge nudge wait for WH3 confirmation, although WH2 Lord pack or FLC is possible. Skaven are honestly a little too beloved atm and Moulder would be a much more solid roster booster if coming in during WH3 faction expansions but hey, can't object to more content as long as the factions that need help get it. He'd be a fun FLC addition to a Moulder Lord/roster boosts with something like a Hero Rat Ogre bodyguard or something for Boneripper.

My fan theory for WH3 is that the Nagash omission is very deliberate and WH3 is likely to have a Super Undead faction, kind of like how Chaos Warriors in WH1/2 are more of a gimmicky boss faction rather than a full fledged and diverse experience with each Lord, seeing as you can get all three no matter which you start with pretty routinely and every campaign will end almost the same(smash the big order factions as they confed to the ends of the earth.) WH3 will need a map defining end-game event and End Times/Nagash is back would fit the bill nicely without repeating WH1's chaos invasion. The omission of Neferata yet having Lahmian support in Vampire Counts and Khalida mad about her cousin in her lines seems to be some nice subtle design hints as well. ME also has Nagashizzar near the Badlands/Eshin that screams "NAGASH STARTS HERE!" The addition of Ogres heavily suggests we're going westward for the maps so that'd become a centerpoint. Definitely wouldn't mind adjusting the TK/VC roster a bit and moving guys like Arkhan over to Double Undeath Ultra Bad Guys and maybe being changed a little especially as Arkhan's gimmick is really redundant aside from crypt ghouls.

The only real deadset confirmations for WH3 seem to be Ogres and a refined Chaos faction with a high likelihood of Chaos Dwarves and Kislev so far but the undead superstars are a pretty big omission from the Fantasy funbag.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So the most recent DLC added a wh1 race to the vortex map and it sounds like the next is going to add a second in Grom. If they wanted to add a Vampire Counts LL the obvious one is Neferata, which leaves only the dwarfs missing out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If I'm attacking with a black ark why am I starting the battle on the downhill side of my own black ark with my back to the ocean?

God this battle map sucks

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

If I'm attacking with a black ark why am I starting the battle on the downhill side of my own black ark with my back to the ocean?

God this battle map sucks

That's what happens when your entire army simultaneously wakes up from a months long bender at sea to go and attack someone.

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
Do the Vampire Pirates and Tomb Kings dlc's contain anything for other factions?

I bought all the cheaper dlc's two days back, so naturally there is a sale now, and I am not sure if I need new lords for quite a while now. But if there's extras for other factions I might want to buy those.

Then again, who am I kidding. I will buy them this evening anyway when I am tired and have less willpower.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Nope, they only unlock those factions, with four lords in each. They're good as hell, and let you plan on the Vortex map without having to do vortex stuff, but there's no need to buy them until you want to play as them.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Chazani posted:

Then again, who am I kidding. I will buy them this evening anyway when I am tired and have less willpower.

Four years from now, when you're on your 1000th hour of playing the game, you'll have never spared a second thought about spending a few bucks on the DLC. I speak from experience.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I have both games and all DLC
Once I've finished grailing, who should I play as for a new experience?

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Tomb Kings are a very popular faction. Skaven are also an interesting challenge and clan Skryre and Eshin have powerful unique mechanics.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Just name one, I'll play the first recommendation

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Tic taq to. Drop Rocks. Scream.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Play as Count Noctilus. Fighting hand-to-hand is for idiots. Owning territory is for losers. Nothing matters except fame, wealth, and shipwreck gundams.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

loving hell this game is such poo poo when the passive agents mod breaks around the chaos events, so like 70 turns in. Every turn you just get bogged down or assassinated by banshees or whatever and it’s absurd. loving hell agents are annoying. There should be a native/built-in “agents on map” option, and toggling it off gets rid of all the agents.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Tic taq to. Drop Rocks. Scream.

Sold.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I could never get away with tic tac. Re-enacting jurassic park I get, drowning your enemy in a tide of angry red bois, telling everyone to :frogout: I get, but I could never be arsed with the fiddly air force.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
You don't need to go all in on the air-force, I only like to go heavy on the fliers once I have a nice ground force to anchor. Before that, use them as cav. The fun is getting good at micro and doing insane rock drops, and trolling the loving out of the AI with his ritual that resets your movement. His start is in a fun place too. I always snowball the lizardmen through confederation enough to get almost every lord anyway. He's not super obvious like skryre, or bonkers easy like eshin.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, I recently got a free copy of the Total War: Warhammer from a friend and decided to try it out before deciding on whether I should fork out for the sequel as well. Are there any must-haves in the DLC section that I should pick up before playing?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

no. play it.

if you like it buy wh2 and play the mortal empires map. if you like that buy ALL of the dlc

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
yeah when you're starting out you don't need anything. just pick who looks cool and get conquering. lord packs in particular don't mean much if you don't even know what factions you like and want to add on to.

Marin Karin fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 17, 2020

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
Yeah there is a looooot of content and gametime to be had with just the base factions in the first game.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Alright, thanks for the info everyone. I´ll install it when the family is out for the day and see where that´ll get me.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

install it now, tell your family to get hosed, because you have a new family. a warhammer family.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Ammanas posted:

install it now, tell your family to get hosed, because you have a new family. a warhammer family.
Nah, it´s cool. I´ve even started to get corrupted by Bloodbowl together with my son, so things are progressing in the right way.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

uhh, corrupted? im calling the witch hunters, we're men of the empire here not chaos-worshipping slime

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Another "what DLC" question.

The only ones I don't have are:

Hunter and the Beast - reviews say bad

The King and the Warlord - reviews say good

The Grim and the Grave - reviews say good

Call of the Beastmen - reviews say bad

Chaos Warriors - reviews say bad

Realm of the Wood Elves - reviews say bad

So thinking the two that are good? Anything redeemable about the others or maybe that the steam reviewers are wrong and don't know what they're talking about.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Another "what DLC" question.

The only ones I don't have are:

Hunter and the Beast - reviews say bad

The King and the Warlord - reviews say good

The Grim and the Grave - reviews say good

Call of the Beastmen - reviews say bad

Chaos Warriors - reviews say bad

Realm of the Wood Elves - reviews say bad

So thinking the two that are good? Anything redeemable about the others or maybe that the steam reviewers are wrong and don't know what they're talking about.

Hunter and the Beast is good because it came with the Empire update that turned them from a punching bag into a force to be reckoned with. The extra archer units that Hunter and Beast gives you makes them really good for taking on Chaos and Norcan monsters. The Lizardmen side of things gives you armored crocodiles with boxing gloves.

Chaos Warriors are a FreeLC I thought? They're fine but lacking mechanics. Mods like Grimhammer or Lucky's make them deadly. The same can be said for the Beastmen and Wood Elf DLCs. They're interesting factions hampered by being game 1 dlcs that didn't get as much of a tune up as they needed for game 2.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Nakai and anti-large archers made hunter & beast worth it for me. Nakai owns

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
The free-lc lords are better than Helman Ghorst. Hunter and the Beast is way better than any of the game 1 lord packs. Dread Saurian is worth the 6 bucks or whatever. They help Tic establish and maintain a strong land presence. I like Nakai a bunch too, the sacred kroxigors are great. I don't know, I just don't see 2 of the least interesting campaigns of the first games as anywhere near as good. Same with King and the Warlord. Anything you can say about a faction being dated... Those two haven't aged terribly well, and the units aren't amazing.

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
Wood Elves have some really fun units but they require more micro than most other factions to really be effective. I find their campaign map mechanics to be somewhat obnoxious, but I enjoy their battle style enough to have done 1 or 2 campaigns with them. I have not played them in ME though, so idk if that changes anything.

I've never finished a Chaos Warriors campaign because I find them kind of boring and the horde mechanic kind of annoying. I don't have the Beastmen DLC, I just really don't like the horde mechanic.

As far as the LL DLCs, I'd say it's more of a matter of personal taste as to whether you like the faction(s) and want to play more of them but with different lords/starting positions/units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Yea, but even if empire is your favorite faction, Marcus's campaign is more unique than Vulkmar's by any measure. It would also be a weird time to buy into greenskins, because the rework is right around the corner. If you main dawi, then I feel for you and I guess you take what you get. I just mean the lord packs. There are reasons to play any of the DLC races.

I'm even a Helman Ghorst fanboy, it's just the value isn't there if you can only grab a couple DLC's. My personal preference would be Chaos and Grim and Grave, but that's not a very good generic recommendation, it's for people who like grindy melee.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 18, 2020