Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I set up a B+ I've had flapping around forever as a PiHole yesterday, and now that its always on and connected to the network I'm thinking of using it for networked storage using a pair of 1TB 2.5" external HDDs in RAID 1 for backing things up (though it occurs to me they're less reliable than everything they're backing up as all my computers are solid state now). Is a B+ going to be up to this or am I asking for pain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
For a pure backup role the load isn't really significant, but with anything before a 3B+ you're going to be stuck with a 100mbit ethernet adapter sharing a single USB 2.0 channel with both of the hard drives.

If all you need is to back up a few gigs a night it'll probably be perfectly fine, especially for the cost, but if you try to do almost anything more you're going to start running on to bottlenecks.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Not to say it's not slow, the slowness hasn't been a practical issue for me, and my two 1TB drives are mirrored through rsync rather than RAID, so it's even slower. You can manage if you kick off the backup with a lot of time to spare, and then use hardlinks and diffing to do incremental backups from there on. I really like this approach because the Pi becomes a disposable adapter between the storage devices and the network.

xtal fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 14, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Not even a few gigs a night, just a place I toss miscellaneous files I'd rather not lose if the machine they're on decides to catch fire or something. Sounds like it will work fine, thanks.

E: Actually, while I'm at it, any recommendations for a cheap powered USB hub?

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 14, 2020

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

ItBreathes posted:

Not even a few gigs a night, just a place I toss miscellaneous files I'd rather not lose if the machine they're on decides to catch fire or something. Sounds like it will work fine, thanks.

E: Actually, while I'm at it, any recommendations for a cheap powered USB hub?

I get mine from AmazonBasics, but I would also trust Monoprice/PrimeCables and they seem to be cheaper: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=21671

mewse
May 2, 2006

Eletriarnation posted:

I tried to think of something else to run on it but I already have a quad-core Xeon doing most of that stuff, I just didn't want to make DHCP+DNS reliant on my VM sandbox.

Only other thing I have running on mine is linux-kms-server for reasons

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone built a print server with a pi? I finally came up with a use case where it would make more sense than a used corporate box, and it seems like it should work ok, although getting the snowflake Konica Minolta drivers could be a pain in the rear end.

What's the oldest/cheapest model that would do the job reasonably? Some of the new ones are like a hundred bucks and definitely not worth it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Klyith posted:

Not great. Library organization is basic, the standard browser only presents things by artist/album/genre or folder structure. And I just tried to search for something I have with composer & performer tags, no dice.
:smith: there seems to be no decent music app that handles classical music correctly...

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

mobby_6kl posted:

Has anyone built a print server with a pi? I finally came up with a use case where it would make more sense than a used corporate box, and it seems like it should work ok, although getting the snowflake Konica Minolta drivers could be a pain in the rear end.

What's the oldest/cheapest model that would do the job reasonably? Some of the new ones are like a hundred bucks and definitely not worth it.

You’re getting ripped off if you pay $100 for a Pi. It’s probably a bundle with a bunch of stuff you don’t need. The newest Pi4 with extra ram is $50 at Microcenter. The Zero-W is $10

Any Pi will run CUPS. You could go zero-W but you’d need some dongles, and could have hiccups with large docs. 3B or 4 are safe choices.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Pi4 needs a decent power supply though, + case and an SD Card and you can get kinda close to $100 and not be too bad of a rip off, especially if you can get it from somewhere without tax. Agree that a Pi4 for a print server is way overkill though.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

eddiewalker posted:

Any Pi will run CUPS. You could go zero-W but you'd need some dongles, and could have hiccups with large docs. 3B or 4 are safe choices.

Basically this

I use a Pi Zero W with a microUSB-to-printer cable and it's adequate for two people's infrequent printing needs. It does take a while to get spun up on larger documents (especially image-based PDFs), and while it hasn't straight up choked yet, it probably would if I fed it a large scan. I'm only using it because it's what I had on hand, and sooner or later I'll drop $20 on a 3A+, or retire one of my 3B+ from BOINC duty after this CoViD stuff is over.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

mobby_6kl posted:

I would get an older Pi 3 B+--the last generation $35 model. It runs a lot, lot cooler at idle and still has wifi built-in. Sure the USB ports are slow and it has a little less speed, but for a print server no one cares or will know. Also it's powered by a regular usb micro power adapter so you don't have to give up a USB C cable or power supply.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Has anyone run Raspberry Pi Desktop on a really old and lovely computer? I have a 1.5ghz VIA C7 with 2gb ram which was a lovely computer when it was new back in 2008. If you can believe it, I upgraded the IGP with an old Voodoo 3.

I would like to turn it into an offline learning toy for my niece and nephew running scratch and Minecraft type software.

However, I'd like to have some idea of what the experience is going to be like before I dig it out of my parents' garage. Last time I tried to put lubuntu on it around 2012 it still sucked as a general purpose computer but I think as an offline machine it might be better since the web has become so much heavier since 2008.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Anyone have experience setting up a pi Zero W with connecting a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse on startup? Tried some stuff I found via googling, but not much success especially since the pi doesn’t want to detect the mouse. If I can also connect a 8bitdo controller that’s a nice bonus but I’m just happy if I can get those two things working first. I have VNC and SSH enabled so I can tweak it on my laptop, and if needed I can provide model/MAC addresses for what I’m trying to connect.

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

eddiewalker posted:

You’re getting ripped off if you pay $100 for a Pi. It’s probably a bundle with a bunch of stuff you don’t need. The newest Pi4 with extra ram is $50 at Microcenter. The Zero-W is $10

There's some price-gouging going on with the Pi now because of COVID-19, due to an increase in demand for the Zero because of ventilators, and the Pi in general because of DIY projects. Every vendor on Newegg seems to have them marked up now. For example, the Pi Zero is a $5 motherboard, but I saw one vendor on Newegg selling it for $98.99 (73% off from $367).

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Holy hell, do not build a ventilator from a Raspberry Pi--especially a zero. There are so many little things that can fail catastrophically, like powering down while writing to the SD card (boom, corrupt filesystem.. won't even reboot and everything is gone) to fork-bombing the single core processor and completely hosing the critical control loop of the ventilator. It is an exceptionally dumb idea to use a Pi in those cases without a very deep understanding of embedded Linux.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah a literal arduino uno would be cheaper, more reliable and more suited to running a ventilator than a raspberry pi

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Probably even better than anything more sophisticated, like an ESP32. Open source code running on RTOS-based platforms without an MMU are not very reliable because most random developers are morons, AMA

The (hacky, quick) ventilators really aren't that complicated.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

yeah a literal arduino uno would be cheaper, more reliable and more suited to running a ventilator than a raspberry pi

Yes but how will I implement my javascript based user interface on such a puny device

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

bolind posted:

There was some discussion upthread about what to use an OG Pi 1 for.

I use it for RISC OS. Except I tend to flip flop between different rpi's with it. Primarily because I really like the case for my rpi1, but it was designed for education. The case is made to be screwed to the desk and hard to open so not much good for GPIO. But it looks nice.

Anyway it runs RISC OS fine. Because RO doesn't support WiFi or BT it's a pretty good match. Some gotchas though like with partitions.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
I want to use a raspberry pi 4b to play some media using Kodi. I'd use an external hard drive plugged directly into the raspberry pi for the media and want to transfer files regularly from a windows pc. If some media I want to play is more than 4gb, what's the best way to get around the fat32 filesize limitation?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Do you have to use fat32? If you’re not planning on plugging it into your windows box you can just use something else. NTFS would be worth looking into, but the folks in the NAS and/or Linux threads may have some ideas.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

A Bag of Milk posted:

I want to use a raspberry pi 4b to play some media using Kodi. I'd use an external hard drive plugged directly into the raspberry pi for the media and want to transfer files regularly from a windows pc. If some media I want to play is more than 4gb, what's the best way to get around the fat32 filesize limitation?

You can read NTFS from Linux but it eats CPU. I’d still prefer that to FAT32 though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Would FTP be an acceptable way for you to do transfers? Then you can set the filesystem to ext whatever and just use a program like PuTTY to SSH into your Pi and upload files.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
If you really want to have the drive be easily portable between windows PCs and the Pi I'd use exFAT. Kodi should be able to do that out of the box, though the whole first page of google is people having problems with it (apparently it broke on specific hardware).

Alternately, format it in ext4 and turn on Windows Subsystem for Linux

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Thanks for the replies. I'm kind of a dummy so ftp/ext4/ntfs all seem to have their pros and cons. Another option would be to read files directly from the windows pc, is that generally ok? The pc and raspberry pi would be connected to the same router, both with ethernet cables. If kodi on raspberry pi just "streams" from the pc, is that functional and stable enough to be a primary option?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

A Bag of Milk posted:

Thanks for the replies. I'm kind of a dummy so ftp/ext4/ntfs all seem to have their pros and cons. Another option would be to read files directly from the windows pc, is that generally ok? The pc and raspberry pi would be connected to the same router, both with ethernet cables. If kodi on raspberry pi just "streams" from the pc, is that functional and stable enough to be a primary option?

That will work totally fine in terms of bandwidth for video. Seeking can be a bit slower over a network share, but if your router has gigabit ethernet even that should be minimal.

The question is more about Kodi then, how does handle network shares in its library. (Does it have to re-index when the PC with the share is turned off?)

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah streaming is usually great in my experience experience, especially for compressed stuff like movies you downloaded or ripped. I've only had trouble with DVD ISO images, but those are always a royal pain even locally (good grief VLC just straight up stopped supporting DVD menus, and god help you getting decss to work on modern Linux distros).

It that fails I'd go the opposite way and format the drive ext4 and make it just a native part of your pi. Then setup ftp or samba to let you send files to it from your window machine. Trying to find a drive format and such that works great on Windows and Linux, and supports big files, is a big pain in my experience.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've been streaming video to my htpc (i5 windows box so YMMV) with Kodi with almost no issues over WiFi (mostly it's the router/wifi card glitching out). Seeking can indeed take a bit longer but not too bad. If you can have a gigabit link or even just decent AC (mine is through like 4 brick walls) it should work fine.

Discussion Quorum posted:

Basically this

I use a Pi Zero W with a microUSB-to-printer cable and it's adequate for two people's infrequent printing needs. It does take a while to get spun up on larger documents (especially image-based PDFs), and while it hasn't straight up choked yet, it probably would if I fed it a large scan. I'm only using it because it's what I had on hand, and sooner or later I'll drop $20 on a 3A+, or retire one of my 3B+ from BOINC duty after this CoViD stuff is over.
I'm a big fan of using the minimum necessary to get the job done (sadly an ESP32 won't run CUPS, or I'd go with that) so the Zero is definitely the right price and form-factor. Doesn't have ethernet but I guess for very occasional printing WiFi will do ok and I can live if it takes a bit longer since I don't print that much or frequently anyway.

One thing I never tried is printing directly from a phone. Can Android use a network printer nowadays, or is the Cloud printing poo poo the only way to make that work? That would require running X and Chrome, right? That could be an issue on the Zero.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 18, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mobby_6kl posted:

One thing I never tried is printing directly from a phone. Can Android use a network printer nowadays, or is the Cloud printing poo poo the only way to make that work? That would require running X and Chrome, right? That could be an issue on the Zero.

If there's a manufacturer app that supports the printer, yes you can avoid cloud print. I've used this one for example to print directly to a networked brother printer. But whether those apps will support a non-networked printer that you've connected with a Pi is a good question.

But also, you totally don't need to run X and chrome to use cloud print on a pi. This is linux, people write real software to do that type of thing.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Klyith posted:

Alternately, format it in ext4 and turn on Windows Subsystem for Linux

WSL does not add the ability to read ext4.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

mobby_6kl posted:

I've been streaming video to my htpc (i5 windows box so YMMV) with Kodi with almost no issues over WiFi (mostly it's the router/wifi card glitching out). Seeking can indeed take a bit longer but not too bad. If you can have a gigabit link or even just decent AC (mine is through like 4 brick walls) it should work fine.

I'm a big fan of using the minimum necessary to get the job done (sadly an ESP32 won't run CUPS, or I'd go with that) so the Zero is definitely the right price and form-factor. Doesn't have ethernet but I guess for very occasional printing WiFi will do ok and I can live if it takes a bit longer since I don't print that much or frequently anyway.

My Brother wifi laser printer actually has an amazing Android app and I can share any document from another app to it and pages fly right out of it. I didn't have to setup anything either, it found the printer on the network and configured itself. I was blown away--it just works, way way way better than any desktop printer setup. Sadly I think this only works for Brother printers.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Whoa, that's cool. The last time I tired it, Cloud printing was pretty much the only way but now I can apparently install plugins for both Konica Minolta and Samsung printers. I'm not super optimistic about this working with my 10+ y.o. USB-only garbage but that's pretty neat anyway.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I'd like to try to set up a 24/7 music stream on Youtube with my raspberry pi 4 4 gig ram. The easiest way I can see is for me to install windows on it - is there a good guide on how to do that?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
You can't install desktop windows on the Pi unfortunately. You can install a janky thing called 'Windows IoT core' that's meant to run a .NET app, but it has no desktop or interface you're used to using (and almost certainly won't run a regular windows app you downloaded somewhere).

I have a strong feeling you could probably find a guide that shows you how to use FFmpeg to stream to youtube from Linux.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

clockworkjoe posted:

I'd like to try to set up a 24/7 music stream on Youtube with my raspberry pi 4 4 gig ram. The easiest way I can see is for me to install windows on it - is there a good guide on how to do that?

https://obsproject.com/wiki/install-instructions#linux

Edit: Though I don't know if everything there supports arm, so maybe this is useless. But it's a better start than trying to install Windows on a Pi.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There are several windows version that run on Arm at this point. There's that RT thing that I died a few years ago with the lovely tablets it came on, and now I think they made the full version run on Arm too for another go at this. The major change is that they're supposed to have an x86 emulator built in for everything not Arm native.

Practically, I've no idea if either of these will work on a Pi but it could be worth looking into it further.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
If you wanna use windows don’t use an RPi. Buy a used laptop for <$100 and be done with it.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
If your solution to a problem is to run Windows on a Raspberry Pi you're probably approaching this from the wrong angle. Like ^^^, use commodity x86 hardware for Windows rather than ARM. But what is constraining you to Windows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Probably not a whole lot of use but I run miniDLNA on my OPi Zero "everything" server. It has an SMB and NFS share set up to it's media directories too so I can copy stuff over easily to it if I want.

The PS4, phone and PCs can see the MiniDLNA uPnP server and access the video and audio on it.
Not sure if BubbleuPnP on Android still has this feature, but it used to let me download stuff from my MiniDLNA server. I use it sometimes for music because Spotify doesn't have all my music.