Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/mtheoristLance/status/1250947941461905408

face coverings will be required at essential businesses or on public transportation starting Saturday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1251167298339196928

genius move

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

zoux posted:

Love too protest anti-pandemic measures in my facemask

https://twitter.com/kherman/status/1250854538195673090

The "all jobs are essential" poster-person isn't really wrong though. Dying of lack of food and shelter is a way more immediate and fatal problem than the 'rona ever will be.

It's just a shame that Americans are too loving far gone to really articulate class conflict and are easily goaded into really stupid poo poo like this by a political class that would sooner let them die than see their number go down.

e: countdown till a cop in dallas executes a black guy for wearing a bandana on his face

e2: lol https://twitter.com/lomikriel/status/1251195068712718336?s=20

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 17, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

News from presser:

- Permitting certain elective surgeries
- opening state parks on Friday, facemasks and social distancing required
- Permitting more "retail-to-go"
- Schools closed for the rest of the academic year
- More announcements on 4/27
- Advisory panel will lead, all recommendations will follow all public health advice and data

Pretty standard stuff it seems like, I have no opinion on if these are too much or not because I'm not an epidemiologist. I think that absent a national robust test, trace and isolation program it doesn't really matter but this doesn't seem like flinging bodies into the economy as grist for the mill at least.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

zoux posted:

- Schools closed for the rest of the academic year

This is the telling point. If it's too dangerous to reopen schools, it's too dangerous to reopen anything else.

Even Rs realize a bunch of dead kids is bad publicity.

Opening the state parks is bizarre. The kinds of people who are protesting don't care about parks.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

LLSix posted:

This is the telling point. If it's too dangerous to reopen schools, it's too dangerous to reopen anything else.

Opening the state parks is bizarre. The kinds of people who are protesting don't care about parks.

It makes sense to me. They're giant open green spaces so people can stretch their legs and enjoy the outdoors with one hell of a lot more than 6 feet distancing. Its probably a lot safer than the running and biking trails right now anyways

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

LLSix posted:

I mean schools close in like may? It was probably a pretty easy call. Least impact on day to day while getting to say "I protect kids"

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ReindeerF posted:

Patrick already ran out in front of him yelling "First week of May!" so it's not just about Trump. Abbott's getting cornholed by his Lieutenant Governor, in classic Texas fashion.

abbot should learn how to stand up to patrick

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
He knows that the tree that doesn't bend, breaks.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

LLSix posted:

FWIW there were a couple "patriots" have a hissyfit on my local Nextdoor about Comal county shutting down the boat ramps. muh freedoms, tyrannical gov't, 'merica, you get the gist.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

skipdogg posted:

FWIW there were a couple "patriots" have a hissyfit on my local Nextdoor about Comal county shutting down the boat ramps. muh freedoms, tyrannical gov't, 'merica, you get the gist.

Speaking of that, the amount of Trump signs at my family's lake house was unnerving. It had only been one dumbass with God, country, guns sign this past year. Definitely increased now. The boat ramps just closed over Easter weekend though. They mad about one weekend?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Speaking of that, the amount of Trump signs at my family's lake house was unnerving. It had only been one dumbass with God, country, guns sign this past year. Definitely increased now. The boat ramps just closed over Easter weekend though. They mad about one weekend?

I wish I could find the post, but the local lead spends a good amount of time getting rid of the BS from Nextdoor. The FB post has some similar comments. I want to think a couple of these are just trolls, but probably not.

https://www.facebook.com/%2Fcomal.county%2Fposts%2F2554007131480143

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sir Tonk posted:

abbot should learn how to stand up to patrick
:lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRV5Y1JCGRI

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

syntaxrigger posted:

I mean schools close in like may? It was probably a pretty easy call. Least impact on day to day while getting to say "I protect kids"

Austin ISD goes until June, so this does add a month onto the cancelation.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

skipdogg posted:

I wish I could find the post, but the local lead spends a good amount of time getting rid of the BS from Nextdoor. The FB post has some similar comments. I want to think a couple of these are just trolls, but probably not.

https://www.facebook.com/%2Fcomal.county%2Fposts%2F2554007131480143

My dad mentioned this past year he was invited over to a dinner party while he was down there working on the house. So nothing better to do and only sharing a beer here and there with the neighbor over the course of 20 years he decides to go. He calls me right after and was like holy poo poo it was like a secret racist person meeting. Basically the neighbor and some friends coming in from San Antonio making GBS threads on democrats and finally towards the end asking my dad wait you are Republican right? And them learning that he is full blown Mexican and they super embarrassed and tried to walk back stuff

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

One of the only nine businesses in San Antonio that received aid from the $350 billion dollar fund was a luxury running shoe store. :ok:

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
A coworker tested positive, so I had to take the test on Wednesday, because I worked close quarters with him (and thirty of us!). I deliver pizza part-time, so I knew it was possible. My results came back today and it was negative. I am still self-isolated (dr's order). I made a little spot with my computer in our walk in closet lol. I even had my grad school interview on Zoom today. Hopefully I will be memorable.

I am LIVID at this re-opening talk. My Trumper parents, though, don't agree with it and swear they will stay home for at least another month. My needing the test scared them and now they want me to quit my job. Its just part-time, but I'm saving for school and trying to pay off some bills....but with the re-opening... I'm really worried about going back and ending up back in this closet. Not that I mind, honestly, I get to hide from the 13 other people in our home.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao I'm not sure you can effectively isolate in a closet for two weeks in a house with fourteen people

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Nonsense posted:

One of the only nine businesses in San Antonio that received aid from the $350 billion dollar fund was a luxury running shoe store. :ok:

Wait PPP recipient companies are publicly listed? Where?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

smoobles posted:

Wait PPP recipient companies are publicly listed? Where?

I am not sure if they are made public, but KSAT interviewed the owner of that store, and he barely opened his store very recently, but applied for the aid anyhow. 2,000 others received rejection letters.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
Texas Politics: I don’t think you grasp how dead this state is yet.

And/or

Texas Politics: I don’t think you grasp how dumb Greg Abbott is yet.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

i say swears online posted:

lmao I'm not sure you can effectively isolate in a closet for two weeks in a house with fourteen people

Its my walkin closet, attached to our bathroom and master bedroom on the main floor. I have a fridge and microwave and im left food by the bedroom door. I keep the dishes and wash them and reuse them until everyone is in bed. I head out and place them in the dishwasher at night. Lysol wipes for things I've touched and back to the closet. The house is 3500 square feet, with 5 bedrooms and two bathrooms upstairs and a 'common room' where they hang out during the day. Im tucked out of the way. Its normally just seven of us, but my daughter's fiance's brother moved down to Texas on March 6th with his wife and 4 kids... and everything shut down while they were staying with us. We were too worried the brother could lose his job and be homeless, so we invited them to stay until the end of summer. Its been...interesting. But I've done pretty darn well isolating the last couple days and not bothered too much in this closet. :)

Yeah, its a McMansion in a diverse neighborhood, but we all pay towards the mortgage. My husband and I carry the utilities with his military disability and pension. We aren't rich at all. We all decided to live in a large enough home where everyone could go to school and save towards the future. We are one year into a six-year plan. Its been pretty great. Two of us will be in school this fall (fingers crossed). My son and his wife were able to move into part-time jobs and have time for school (my son) and money-making hobbies (my daughter-in-law). I also get to see my first grandson every day (when not isolated) and its been wonderful watching him grow. He's only 8 months old, so I'm super motivated to stay safe.

Svanja fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 18, 2020

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

Svanja posted:

Its my walkin closet, attached to our bathroom and master bedroom on the main floor. I have a fridge and microwave and im left food by the bedroom door. I keep the dishes and wash them and reuse them until everyone is in bed. I head out and place them in the dishwasher at night. Lysol wipes for things I've touched and back to the closet. The house is 3500 square feet, with 5 bedrooms and two bathrooms upstairs and a 'common room' where they hang out during the day. Im tucked out of the way. Its normally just seven of us, but my daughter's fiance's brother moved down to Texas on March 6th with his wife and 4 kids... and everything shut down while they were staying with us. We were too worried the brother could lose his job and be homeless, so we invited them to stay until the end of summer. Its been...interesting. But I've done pretty darn well isolating the last couple days and not bothered too much in this closet. :)

Yeah, its a McMansion in a diverse neighborhood, but we all pay towards the mortgage. My husband and I carry the utilities with his military disability and pension. We aren't rich at all. We all decided to live in a large enough home where everyone could go to school and save towards the future. We are one year into a six-year plan. Its been pretty great. Two of us will be in school this fall (fingers crossed). My son and his wife were able to move into part-time jobs and have time for school (my son) and money-making hobbies (my daughter-in-law). I also get to see my first grandson every day (when not isolated) and its been wonderful watching him grow. He's only 8 months old, so I'm super motivated to stay safe.

This sounds like a really nice way to live (not the closet part but the multi-generational commune).

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

welp

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1251307207108550656

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Disnesquick posted:

This sounds like a really nice way to live (not the closet part but the multi-generational commune).

It really is a good way to live. We have a soon-to-be 15 yr old son as well, and its so helpful to have all of us able to help him with schoolwork (especially now). We have family nights and watch movies and play Clue, Yahtzee, Scrabble, or Risk, depending on how many want to play. I just watch when they play UNO, I hate that game haha. My favorite time though, was when we corralled my parents into a game of Cards Against Humanity. I thought they would flip out, but they had a blast. We host the holiday parties, too, and since most of my living relatives live here in San Antonio, the house has become a touchstone for the rest of the family. We actually live in Schertz/Cibolo, which is growing so drat fast.

Without our guests, the couples each had an extra room to use as their own -- my oldest son and his wife use the bedroom next to theirs as a sewing room for her. My daughter and her fiance have the other bedroom for a hideaway to play videogames. My 15yr old got the largest bedroom upstairs so he can have friends over to play on the extra computer I set up for him in there. They use the common room to play Mario Kart or SmashBros. It can get rowdy, but who can resist all the laughing!?

With the pandemic, we feel blessed. Everyone is under the same roof and we can support each other. We share meal duties, chores, etc. We can also share vehicles if someone needs it in a pinch. We picked the perfect time to do this.

I'm going to be sad when its all over and everyone heads off for the next stage of their lives. My husband I will downsize then.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

and here I thought we might make it through this without a special session :v:

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Called it. Sales taxes are down, so property taxes are going up. :cmon:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

IT BURNS posted:

Called it. Sales taxes are down, so property taxes are going up. :cmon:
That's going to be a tough sell. Most people I know with any money are bitching about their property taxes right now because they're homeschooling their kids (i.e. "Since I'm doing half the work, can I have a rebate?"). That started weeks ago and regardless of the broader reality about maintaining a tax base or education system, people here connect property taxes to schools (for obvious reasons), so it's going to become a very loud and unhappy block of property owners if property taxes become a political issue.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
They were up all night naming this one:

https://dereferer.me/?ohKne87LyLn9_3G6gbr_Aordz_gpwm_mK7Dx3ZALAz_ebmL3r54wPG_k8VkKPmAmD50LOglBeneVO7jV9pZeq7bOKl5rl9evv9vkRwPgvJ82GP0j

EDIT: Apparently a much more popular one:

https://dereferer.me/?ohrEByD2yveEl5ErvZbr-pjD7O0x7qyJRRgywDjqD3p2q3Djzvl-npEEkOEzVZ3WE

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 18, 2020

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

yes, that is correct

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I love that long before things like TFR existed, there were guys posing for photos with all their tactical gear.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Hmm, what is going to be one thing I need to complete my picture of myself with my armaments?

*sees bow-tie*

:discourse:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
World's first libertarian spotted.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

My favorite bit about this is someone looked at the bottom image and decided that dude looked healthy.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Nonsense posted:

my friend that runs a store in houston was denied any money because he's the only person that works there, which is an interesting way to approach that fund i guess

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

FoolyCharged posted:

My favorite bit about this is someone looked at the bottom image and decided that dude looked healthy.

My favorite part is that Isolation is when you restrict the movement of sick people, Quarantine is literally restricting the movement of healthy people (who may have been exposed)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

my friend that runs a store in houston was denied any money because he's the only person that works there, which is an interesting way to approach that fund i guess

iirc you gotta spend that money on wages to get the loans blanked. I'm okay with that

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/WagsPhoto/status/1251578622151929856

Are we allowed to laugh at them in 4-6 days

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

we totally are but Trump hung out with a ton of people who had it and never got it so I am resigned to the fact that Alex Jones won't be owned either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

He'd have a really fun bill-braskey-style funeral though