Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ringo Star Get posted:

Didn’t Elon accuse a diver that rescued trapped children in a cave a pedophile?

He did and won the lawsuit the diver brought in one of the dumbest decisions a jury has ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TulliusCicero posted:

The racists and bigots are the GOP base

They really have nowhere to go. Trump has poisoned their moderate well for at least the next 8 years

hopefully. i do think romeney/kasich/others will try to "return to center" type bullshit. i dont think we will see straserites yet because the objectivist psychos hate that poo poo more than they hate minorities. most of the "smart" facists are also dumb as poo poo too. i think trump has poisoned the fascist well for a decade or so.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
The John Krasinski live special just loving broke me, not because it was a positive, heartwarming stream from a genuinely nice guy, the real time chat was like 200k people just posting nice things. Like humans. Like loving psychopaths.

If you haven’t checked out his channel, please do so.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

For some reason Elon constantly opining on poo poo he knows nothing about pisses me off even more than Trump.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

ewiley posted:

The John Krasinski live special just loving broke me, not because it was a positive, heartwarming stream from a genuinely nice guy, the real time chat was like 200k people just posting nice things. Like humans. Like loving psychopaths.

I thought Krasinski had somewhat become a chud in recent years with some of his role choices, but it's good to see him do something genuinely positive and nice

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/InspirationTV/status/1249034709117677569

quote:

“We had a major network who wanted to wanted to air Hope Rising, and at the very last minute, just days before Easter, they decided to pull out and they didn’t tell us why. But we assume it was perhaps because it was too Christian.

“Then we offered it to all the other major networks and they all said ‘no.’ Can you believe it? During a time when people are praying more than ever, when people want to hear from God, when they want to feel His comfort and His peace.

“How could people shy away from people who want to pray with you, who want to love you, who want to comfort you and inspire and encourage you and give you hope through something like Hope Rising?” – Kirk Cameron

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Vox Nihili posted:

For some reason Elon constantly opining on poo poo he knows nothing about pisses me off even more than Trump.

It's the same reason, they cannot just admit they don't know something.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

ewiley posted:

i just wish there was a way to...make some sort of...magical...i don't know "chain" to where it is/was here in the far off future of whatever year this is :(
reminder that kirk cameron is a prosperity gospel profit. he made an entire movie saying "the point of christmas is materialism" which appeared to be 80% improve, 10% dancing, and 10% smug condemnation for you idiot assholes that thing spending money on extravagant feasts is immoral while children starve.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

InsertPotPun posted:

i just wish there was a way to...make some sort of...magical...i don't know "chain" to where it is/was here in the far off future of whatever year this is :(

reminder that kirk cameron is a prosperity gospel profit. he made an entire movie saying "the point of christmas is materialism" which appeared to be 80% improve, 10% dancing, and 10% smug condemnation for you idiot assholes that thing spending money on extravagant feasts is immoral while children starve.

People are constantly amazed that we are ruled by demons while we all live in hell

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Subway: Eat Corona

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

gently caress em. have fun when you get sick assholes.

First they came for the demonstrators and I said nothing because they were such asses.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

It’s definitely not because of Billy the seed of the homophobic racist is passed from father to son Graham being there!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

TulliusCicero posted:

I thought Krasinski had somewhat become a chud in recent years with some of his role choices, but it's good to see him do something genuinely positive and nice

I don't think he's even close to chud but since he has been Jack Ryan I think the CIA has gaslit him and he praises them a lot.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

The racists and bigots are the GOP base

They really have nowhere to go. Trump has poisoned their moderate well for at least the next 8 years

you know people can just lie about who they vote, right?

Kale
May 14, 2010

The problem with the elections past 2016 that I'm seeing and the one thing that worries me is that all of those were decided by FPTP direct votes and not the stupid loving electoral college system which is the only reason Trump won and why Bush won the first time against Al Gore (or was able to get to the Supreme Court could name him president). If it weren't for the electoral college than we wouldn't even be having this conversation at all.

The electoral college is just mind blowing dumb though. Like when Bush won Al Gore had about 500,000 more votes and lost by like 5 electoral college votes yet when Trump won Clinton had about 3 million more votes yet lost by 77 electoral college votes. Try wrapping your head around that one. :psyboom:

Kale fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 18, 2020

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

InsertPotPun posted:

Oh my god.. *googles*.. please everyone click at this goddamn link and loving subscribe to this you tube internet channel for the love of god set aside your cynicism for like 30 goddamn minutes and take a mental health break

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOe_y6KKvS3PdIfb9q9pGug

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EV2SdkZUcAEAIeu?format=jpg&name=small

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

BonoMan posted:

I don't think he's even close to chud but since he has been Jack Ryan I think the CIA has gaslit him and he praises them a lot.

He was in that Benghazi movie.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lmao even Fox is doing Trump polls like this now

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

C2C - 2.0 posted:

"That Benghazi Movie" sounds like the slapstick spoof of chud films

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1251323159921516547

C2C - 2.0 posted:

and he got mad when the film bombed too :lol:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

InsertPotPun posted:

I think it bears specifying that the "plot" of the movie is that Cameron's devout Christian brother thinks that Christmas has been poisoned by materialism. Cameron then traps him in a car to assault him with a handful of bizarre retellings of classic Christmas stories that barely have anything to do with anything in an excruciatingly extended Gish Gallop + "Nuh uh, it's good actually" and it clearly only works because the script said that's how it ended. ("Wow, your weird story about Santa being a hardass fighter shows me that you can truly celebrate the birth of Christ by spending $500 on an XBox!") And there are bookend segments where Kirk Cameron, while directly addressing the audience with the same message as the movie you are about to or just finished watching, is clearly drinking delicious hot cocoanothing from an empty mug.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Fart Amplifier posted:

"That Benghazi Movie" sounds like the slapstick spoof of chud films

I mean yeah, basically

Directed + produced by Michael Bay too, first one in like 20+ years to make less than $100m

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Mr Interweb posted:

and he got mad when the film bombed too :lol:

What did they expect from a Benghazi movie?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1517501/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t20

This guy played Vilerat

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

That Old Tree posted:

I think it bears specifying that the "plot" of the movie is that Cameron's devout Christian brother thinks that Christmas has been poisoned by materialism. Cameron then traps him in a car to assault him with a handful of bizarre retellings of classic Christmas stories that barely have anything to do with anything in an excruciatingly extended Gish Gallop + "Nuh uh, it's good actually" and it clearly only works because the script said that's how it ended. ("Wow, your weird story about Santa being a hardass fighter shows me that you can truly celebrate the birth of Christ by spending $500 on an XBox!") And there are bookend segments where Kirk Cameron, while directly addressing the audience with the same message as the movie you are about to or just finished watching, is clearly drinking delicious hot cocoanothing from an empty mug.

Don't forget that the brilliantly laid out arguments include truly galaxy brain takes such as "Hey, look at the glittery wrapping paper on those presents, don't they remind you of the night sky when Jesus was born, obviously that means that Jesus wanted you to buy those presents." It's truly awful and naked prosperity gospel.

If you're bored in these trying times, cool YouTuber Maggie Mae Fish did a 30-minute vid talking about it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XilvAwjjVCs as part of a 3-part series on awful Evangelical movies (she covers "Fireproof" and "I'm in Love With a Church Girl" too which are equally awful).

Or just look up a bad movie podcast or show and see if they covered it. Just about every minute of Saving Christmas is worth mocking.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Did they grill Hillary about this Benghazi bomb too?

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Random aside from a Canadian here, but is prosperity theology really that commonly believed in evangelical circles? A cursory look at Wikipedia tells me that a lot of evangelical scholars think its a heresy. Also, what's the Mormon perspective on prosperity theology?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ToxicAcne posted:

Random aside from a Canadian here, but is prosperity theology really that commonly believed in evangelical circles? A cursory look at Wikipedia tells me that a lot of evangelical scholars think its a heresy. Also, what's the Mormon perspective on prosperity theology?

actual prosperity gospel is pretty rare, it's just profitable and loud

even the Bad Evangelicals generally balk at it

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

ToxicAcne posted:

Sort of. The super hardcore stuff exists and is scary common. But it came out of this deep strain of "you'll know you are saved because you are prosperous" in American evangelicalism. Which ends up being the same thing.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ToxicAcne posted:

It is not super common, but the leaders of churches that do follow it are very vocal and very flashy because they are always trying to rope more marks into their congregation so they can make more money. They also have outsized political pull with the GOP because they have money to throw around and can tell their church members to give money too (also because there is a measure of respect between grifters at a con well executed).

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Don't forget that the brilliantly laid out arguments include truly galaxy brain takes such as "Hey, look at the glittery wrapping paper on those presents, don't they remind you of the night sky when Jesus was born, obviously that means that Jesus wanted you to buy those presents." It's truly awful and naked prosperity gospel.

If you're bored in these trying times, cool YouTuber Maggie Mae Fish did a 30-minute vid talking about it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XilvAwjjVCs as part of a 3-part series on awful Evangelical movies (she covers "Fireproof" and "I'm in Love With a Church Girl" too which are equally awful).

Or just look up a bad movie podcast or show and see if they covered it. Just about every minute of Saving Christmas is worth mocking.

I'll jump in here and plug the podcast Good Christian Fun which has covered this film and a zillion other horrible things from for-Christian pop culture. Anybody who was raised in the faith (especially evangelical churches like I was) should check it out.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

He’s trying to make it seem like he sent a bunch of cpap machines instead of ventilators when he said he was sending ventilators on purpose because he knew all along that the treatment was with cpaps

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

InsertPotPun posted:

prosperity gospel profit.

I gotta remember that one.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Pick posted:

If I recall she also said she would vote for him again

Yes, that was the part the bewildered everyone most. She believes it was a mistake, Trump would never do that to her family, so she'll vote for him again. Sadly she has kids, so we can't prevent her seed from spreading

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Vox Nihili posted:

It's because Elon is a relatively successful person this isn't a loving moron. So you know he's capable of making smart moves. Basically you have a bar for Elon

Kirk Cameron and Candace Cameron....Well, I know this is going to be a useless circle jerk of "God is awesome, come to my specific one or die of the virus" with some added brain dead stats and takes sprinkled on top

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 18, 2020

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

ToxicAcne posted:

On top of what everybody else said, honest to god prosperity gospel is rare and relegated to scammy televangelists and megachurches. There is a reason that Kirk Cameron going weird materialist with what seemed like a normal Christmas movie made waves. That said, Evangelical Christianity often has an undercurrent of "Hey, it's fine if you're rich and live luxuriously. God doesn't actually want you to suffer or give all your wealth away. As long as you tithe and believe in god, you're good. Also, it's fine if your pastor lives in a mansion."

The Maggie Mae Fish series I linked before gets into how these movies are a way to help people square the circle of conservative ideology with actual Christianity and its constant calls for charity, love and good works.

SocketWrench posted:

It's because Elon is a relatively successful person this isn't a loving moron. So you know he's capable of making smart moves. Basically you have a bar for Elon

Also Elon has a weird fan club who thinks he's legitimately Tony Stark. At least Trump's fan club mostly just loves him for being a loud, angry racist who "tells it like it is", and not being a genius.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Ague Proof posted:

What did they expect from a Benghazi movie?

krasinski was particularly vexed because he insisted the movie wasn''t supposed to be 'political', and yet people didn't listen :lol:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

Subway: Eat Corona
That photo is several years old. That’s just his normal-rear end birthday lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Mr Interweb posted:

krasinski was particularly vexed because he insisted the movie wasn''t supposed to be 'political', and yet people didn't listen :lol:

I feel like you should know better than to make a movie about something that is extremely political at a time when people are jumping loving canyons to find political outlooks on kids movies