Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

It's normal magical girl stuff. She isn't doing anything about Goopy. And she's right; other than her normal patrols she hasn't been doing anything to look into it; she doesn't even know her former best friend was in contact with her. As yet - as far as she knows - she and Kokoro are the only ones that even know this major threat exists, and she's hiding it in case sharing the knowledge endangers others. And now she's seeing how that isn't working out well, I can hardly blame her for doubting herself and trying to push herself to more action.
That said, it's hard to blame her for taking it at the pace she has been either. It can't have been more than a couple of weeks since Team Alchemical were killed. She's needed both to centre herself, and to find someone else to watch her back - Goopy got the better of her once before with the backup of three teammates, she'll never manage alone.

And it's probably really easy to brush off anything she has done. Hell she already has, treating it as going back into routine, but the night she saved Zoe's family the mouthburger still almost killed HP before she found her inner water jet. Easy to focus on that rather than the aftermath. Or to focus on how HP & team Outrageous had to clean up, even though she was exhausted & ultimately saved everyone there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Frankly I just like mock threads because every now and then somebody will post a really good edit and I'll bust a gut laughing. Same reason I follow the newspaper comic thread.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
guy who hitched his wagon to gamergate not allowed to talk about how criticism can be over the top

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I get the need to go after Goops but I don't think the healthy response to someone accusing you of not being the right type of victim is "Yeah, she is right."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

fun hater posted:

guy who hitched his wagon to gamergate not allowed to talk about how criticism can be over the top

wait what

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

get the gently caress out of here kazerad

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
No wait guys he actually only turned up at GG hq with a long ladder so he could recklessly spin around and knock people over. He's a true hero, the slapstick nazi.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

For all of SFP's sins it did have a pretty amusing ending though.

The comic set out to ask questions about white privileged and how systemic power structures make oppression almost an unthinking reflex. Ultimately it had no answers for the question of how to improve society from within. It then ended shortly after the artist got a book deal, which was announced on twitter, where she said something to the effect of "I got my foot in the door because I knew an editor"

That confluence of events was so perfect I can't help thinking fondly of the comic when I remember it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Galvanik posted:

The comic set out to ask questions about white privileged and how systemic power structures make oppression almost an unthinking reflex. Ultimately it had no answers for the question of how to improve society from within. It then ended shortly after the artist got a book deal, which was announced on twitter, where she said something to the effect of "I got my foot in the door because I knew an editor"

That confluence of events was so perfect I can't help thinking fondly of the comic when I remember it.

:allears:
That does put a smile on my face, ty.

mycot fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 17, 2020

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Galvanik posted:

You know I hadn’t put two and two together there, I was mostly just relieved Ostertag was moving to a project that better fit her style.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Galvanik posted:

I think it very literally did not mean to deal with questions about white privilege and systemic power structures from how clueless it acts halfway through. It just had the idea to try to be meaningful without the political awareness to understand what changing things would actually entail. When a black character shows up, she's a silicon valley singularity cultist with that mural about John Henry sure being glad that his purpose had been made redundant and his source of making a living would be eliminated for the sake of the rail bosses.

Unless the centrist equivalent of radicalization happened.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think it very literally did not mean to deal with questions about white privilege and systemic power structures from how clueless it acts halfway through. It just had the idea to try to be meaningful without the political awareness to understand what changing things would actually entail. When a black character shows up, she's a silicon valley singularity cultist with that mural about John Henry sure being glad that his purpose had been made redundant and his source of making a living would be eliminated for the sake of the rail bosses.

Unless the centrist equivalent of radicalization happened.

My description of it would be that the creators were and are very upset at injustice and very much want to imagine a better world, but have no real comprehension of what real change entails. It's a very American situation, and ironically the problem their protagonist most struggled with (empathizing with other people and imagining that there's any kind of problem she can't directly fix with her own expertise) was the one they proved the least capable of actually handling.

They just didn't actually have an answer to 'what can Allison do with her incredible power' that still had her as the central character. She couldn't just join a union or provide backup, she had to be on the front lines - this was, to their credit, her own emotional fixation, not necessarily something they believed themselves. However...

There was always a simple answer. She could have become a politician. A world-famous hero, literally the savior of the planet, could easily have become the face of a movement and mobilized people for her chosen causes - and that's one way that an individual can wield outsize personal influence for good. But, that requires her power to be the masses of people, not her punching arm, and it became clear that the authors saw her punching power and superhero stuff as the real quality that made her special and worth writing about.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There's one very real problem with Allison taking up any cause and this is true of most any superhero with super powers that acknowledges the reality of the situation.

You are inherently unbalanced and unless the opposite side has someone equivalent to you, you carry an implicit threat of force. She can say something is right and people will fall in line, not because they believe her but because she is, in and of herself, a weapon of mass destruction. She could hold her own seat at the UN, purely on the basis of not being on the same playing field as any one individual, but instead on the levels of states or countries. She'd never use her powers to get what she wants against the wishes of those around her

Except she has, does and will again

But that's the game. Any argument she backs automatically has a nuclear threat attached to it, no matter her intentions.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Burkion posted:

There's one very real problem with Allison taking up any cause and this is true of most any superhero with super powers that acknowledges the reality of the situation.

You are inherently unbalanced and unless the opposite side has someone equivalent to you, you carry an implicit threat of force. She can say something is right and people will fall in line, not because they believe her but because she is, in and of herself, a weapon of mass destruction. She could hold her own seat at the UN, purely on the basis of not being on the same playing field as any one individual, but instead on the levels of states or countries. She'd never use her powers to get what she wants against the wishes of those around her

But that's the game. Any argument she backs automatically has a nuclear threat attached to it, no matter her intentions.

Sure, but 'I will prevent strike breaking and personally show up at disaster sites, vote for Bernie' is hardly an act of incredible evil, even if she personally has great power.

The fact that she needs to learn to stop coercing people is a character flaw to overcome.

It's hardly like her telling people to join her rideshare-for-heroes app doesn't come with that implicit threat and the authors got behind that!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Burkion posted:

The thing that drives me crazy is that they do show this in the comic! Several times! And every time, instead of actually doing something about it, Alison goes "Not Again!", then shrugs and moves on. To be fair, this also could have worked! Showing someone who is railing against privilege yet not recognizing or not caring being the beneficiary of that same privilege is a common problem in progressive spaces. But they never pull the trigger on that either.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

mycot posted:

I think the attitude of using criticism to justify anything (because criticism is good and only had artists reject it!!!) was an aspect of broader internet culture even outside SA. People have kinda lost their naitivity about harrassment since then. I'm reminded of the Lindsey Ellis Twilight and how it mentions that Stephanie Meyer was called a diva who only wanted an echo chamber for not directly receiving her mail, when in retrospect it is totally believable she was receiving thousands of death threats a day lol

Oh absolutely, there were a lot of "snark" communities all over LiveJournal and other semi-popular forums where you could go and prod people. I think some of it was from more internet users being teenagers without any oversight or perspective on how it was hosed. Then those people either realized it was hosed or burrowed even deeper into it and lost all sense of perspective.

Joe Slowboat posted:

There was always a simple answer. She could have become a politician. A world-famous hero, literally the savior of the planet, could easily have become the face of a movement and mobilized people for her chosen causes - and that's one way that an individual can wield outsize personal influence for good. But, that requires her power to be the masses of people, not her punching arm, and it became clear that the authors saw her punching power and superhero stuff as the real quality that made her special and worth writing about.

I think I said before in the thread itself at some point, but basically there were two "realistic" ways to follow up on the premise of how a superhero could solve problems without punching, and the route that involves working within the system would absolutely be some form of political rallying and lobbying with incremental changes over years or decades that makes for an absolutely dull comic. The other option would be an overthrow of the current order, but that's probably even more dangerous to write about both from the reactions of readers and because nobody deserves IRL secret service visits. It's trapped by the fact that superheroes a power fantasy for a very specific reason. The closer you push to examining real world issues, the more inevitable it becomes that you have to Pick A Side and brace for impact.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 17, 2020

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Howdy, two things:

1. The OP needs some updating badly, a lot of those webcomics are regrettably lost to time, or at least relocated

2. I found a webcomic I like. How should I introduce it to folks here?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Just do it. Introduce it, explain what it is if you'd like and why you like it

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It is depressing how the webcomics that most people don't like are often the ones that they often have so much to say about.

In comics I actually read and enjoy, I'm hoping that the Pyre Knights show up again in Latchkey Kingdom. They seem like the experts on Yumunculi.

Unlucky7 posted:

The thing that drives me crazy is that they do show this in the comic! Several times! And every time, instead of actually doing something about it, Alison goes "Not Again!", then shrugs and moves on. To be fair, this also could have worked! Showing someone who is railing against privilege yet not recognizing or not caring being the beneficiary of that same privilege is a common problem in progressive spaces. But they never pull the trigger on that either.

In the grand dichotomy of political philosophy, the comic was against prejudices like against women or gays or different races through the allegory of mutants, but had very little to say about systemic inequality between people who just have a lot more and people who just have a lot less. The only rich people Allison ever threatens are the ones who she otherwise has some sexual tension with. It seemed more on track to explore the dynamics of mutants as their own oppressed minority rather than deal with any real-world issues, but then it lost interest in even pretending to be politically relevant in favor of giving Allison a happy ending. (possibly because the philosophical quandaries that SFP tried to present were recieved WILDLY differently than the creators expected.)

It's not particularly uncommon for people to stop at "everybody should be equal within the hierarchy of wealth-based classes" instead of trying to combat the innate power disparity between the haves and have-nots, and in some ways that's the battle that has defined our current state of politics, so it's worth keeping an eye out for when people support the former but not the latter.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

SlothfulCobra posted:

In comics I actually read and enjoy, I'm hoping that the Pyre Knights show up again in Latchkey Kingdom. They seem like the experts on Yumunculi.

The Pyre Knight captain's monologue about how he killed and ate a squid who might have been the One True God is a thing of immense beauty. However, I hope they don't show up immediately because I want to see what happens if this particular Yumunculus turns out to have a different relationship to yumanity than Rose does. After all, the support group mentioned the idea of 'Yomunculus spies' and the title 'Rose and Thorn' implies something's afoot.

As I say that, though, I realize that the last time we saw a helmet with lots of little holes in it before the support group was a Pyre Knight researcher who was asked if Rose was 'one of yours' - maybe Kyle is in fact one of theirs. That could be quite cool.

The Yumunculus plotline is really fascinating and clearly a very long-term slow-burn plot for this, and I'm excited to see where it goes (and also Rose is just a charming character, and deserves good things to happen to her).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

It is depressing how the webcomics that most people don't like are often the ones that they often have so much to say about.

I think it's less that it's strictly comics people don't like, but more that ones that could be better, or ones that started strong before kind of falling are better fare for discussion

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the deep sea god story seems pretty straightfoward, seeing as how there's been another delusion/hallucination-inducing deep sea creature being hunted to extermination in the comic. I think there was something a little similar in 70 Seas too. There's also been a squiddy lookin' god.

The setting seems like its really overflowing with things to pick up as future plot hooks, although Rose's issues definitely seem more pressing for now. I read through the whole thing again recently, and I was surprised at how despite being fantasy-based and doing a lot of fantasy tropes, it's actually a really low-magic setting. Not a lot of magic, more just highly improbable engineering. Kind of steampunk really. The most magic there's been is snake hypnosis, summoning gods, and a couple collective consciousnesses, which is downright sci-fi. I'd like to see the Cluck Clucks square off with the Orz.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Meanwhile in Questionable Content, is it actually considered inappropriate to ask people you just met for their phone number? I hit on people so rarely I'm not even sure what the rules are.

EDIT: Also meanwhile in Never Satisfied, was Rin just standing up directly in the center of the bed while she gave that speech?

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 17, 2020

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think the deep sea god story seems pretty straightfoward, seeing as how there's been another delusion/hallucination-inducing deep sea creature being hunted to extermination in the comic. I think there was something a little similar in 70 Seas too. There's also been a squiddy lookin' god..

I wasn’t saying it was confusing, it’s just a really good gag. Like Willa doing the classic ‘loudly argue in a language nobody else understands’ gag, only for the punchline to be ‘that wasn’t an argument, rat squeaking isn’t _language_.’

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
Oh wow, I actually stopped checking Latchkey Kingdom some time back, when did P5ych also add a furry Black Jack to the cast?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Morbi posted:

Oh wow, I actually stopped checking Latchkey Kingdom some time back, when did P5ych also add a furry Black Jack to the cast?

One of the side stories, I think? For some reason doctors as a profession have repeatedly surfaced in the side stories, mostly in a comedy context.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Rand Brittain posted:

Meanwhile in Questionable Content, is it actually considered inappropriate to ask people you just met for their phone number? I hit on people so rarely I'm not even sure what the rules are.

EDIT: Also meanwhile in Never Satisfied, was Rin just standing up directly in the center of the bed while she gave that speech?

I think in this particular context, a little weird in that shed just told off Dog Guy rather than spending five to ten minutes having a fun conversation with him. But my understanding of the rules from observing and trying to understand (because oh boy, autism means a lot of that) is that it’s very contextual.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Rand Brittain posted:

I think the modern thought on it is, if someone isn't on a dating platform like Tinder or Plenty o Fish, don't ask because they aren't interested.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Mors Rattus posted:

I think in this particular context, a little weird in that shed just told off Dog Guy rather than spending five to ten minutes having a fun conversation with him. But my understanding of the rules from observing and trying to understand (because oh boy, autism means a lot of that) is that it’s very contextual.

Yeah, that's about what I thought, which is why it's weird that Jacques' comment text is presenting it like it's an objective rule.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Guys ask me for my number apropos of nothing sometimes, and I never think it's too weird if they're nice about it. Other end of the spectrum: the occasional guy who combines a cat-call from across the street with a demand to add them on Instagram.

It's definitely an approach thing though. And like, I usually say no. Can't imagine it's a high hit rate strategy.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I believe in being transparent about my intentions, and opening with wantin them digits is as transparent as it gets

the hit rate is not fantastic, but it has gotten me more dates than I deserve

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Android Blues posted:

the occasional guy who combines a cat-call from across the street with a demand to add them on Instagram.

we live in a cyberpunk dystopia for sure

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cup Runneth Over posted:

we live in a cyberpunk dystopia for sure

On the upside, when the sky over the port looks like television tuned to a dead channel, now it means it's a bright sunny day

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-15-page-9

it's time for HP to heartfully punch away undine's tears and also guilt

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

rannum posted:

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-15-page-9

it's time for HP to heartfully punch away undine's tears and also guilt

kin

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
You can’t let something like goops go. I understand she could easily turn into ‘dine’s white whale but if she lets this go (and, don’t get me wrong there is a compelling argument to do so) there’s no telling what goops might do to get her attention.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

god I love Paranatural

SD's pretty good too, I binged it a month or two ago and I'm definitely enjoying it. It is a shame though that Tessa shows up so rarely though, you'd think she'd have a bigger role to play in unraveling the ongoing mystery.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Goops is pretty clearly evil and unbeknownst to Undine is launching attacks on people she cares about and coordinating more devastating monster invasions, so yeah, kinda important she does something about it

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Yeah, but what can Undine do about it? Goops can apparently teleport, appearing and disappearing where and when she wishes. Unless something changes significantly, fighting monsters and mitigating the damage is all magical girls can do.

Undine has no way to know this, of course. This is all meta reasoning, for all she knows Goops is a normal (though evil) magical girl with normal limitations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a large automobile
Apr 10, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN