Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

BioEnchanted posted:

If that Skeleton is actually Ganon I'll be disappointed, I at least would hope that Zelda would express frustration given that she just killed him.

I basically assumed it was, as some sort of reference to the times he's been bound/stabbed a la Twilight Princess. Honestly I'm still uncertain as to whether BotW Ganon was actual OG Ganon or just some sort of weird...vengeance...spirit......thing. I'd definitely be happy if the story went away from him this time around, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

honestly i'd be a sucker for a story where Link and Zelda have to bring Ganon back to deal with something worse.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Hell, maybe it's not Ganon, but Ganondorf. Maybe by killing the Calamity, Zelda purified something that allowed the warrior to return and be less maladjusted. I'd at least hope that the sequel has better boss fights. The Yiga clan fight was great, more of that sort of thing please, less "OK, here's Ganon, but using Revali's Gale and Ranged attacks... and now using the Goron dudes shield... and now Urbosa's lightning..." Thank god that Mipha's Ganon didn't have her healing power :v:.

I mean, Twilight Princess had a great final boss, before Ganondorf showed up and made it a boring tennis fight. I mean, Zant was at least a cool idea with the shifting locations. Although it stole it from Primal :P.

I did like the design and fight with the first form of Calamity Ganon though, the hosed up skulltula with every weapon and power.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:55 on Apr 17, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I complained about the end boss the other day, but all the main bosses had a similar problem. Either beating my head against the wall in frustration if I tried too early, or just steamrolling through without breaking a sweat if I came back with better equipment and food. They just didn't work well with the massive open experience for me.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Ganondorf is always the Chosen of the Triforce of Power, isn't he? Ganondorf with a different upbringing would probably be a hero on par with Link.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Gann Jerrod posted:

So Pokémon Go has been trying to cope with the fact that people aren’t going outside anymore, and are going to introduce a remote version of raiding, the endgame activity that gets you powerful Pokémon. Three issues:

1. Remote raids require you to purchase a separate pass different than the ones you already have.
2. Only a certain number of people in a raid can be doing so remotely.
3. People remotely raiding will do less damage than those on site.

So basically instead of encouraging people to stay at home, this makes it more likely that people will go out for raids. If everything wasn’t shutdown I could see these limitations making sense, but right now it just seems stupid.

What's worse is that they've done everything except the one obvious thing - extend the range to spin poke stops so it means that unless you're fortunate enough to live in proximity to a pokestop or gym, you still need to go out to spin them. Which they are still expecting you to do on a daily basis in order to maintain a streak.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The Zelda timeline is a complicated mess, but it has established that Ganon is a reincarnation of Demise, an ancient embodiment of hatred and evil (And wiggly toes) following Link and Zelda through their various reincarnations as revenge for beating him the first time/testing if the world is still worthy enough to repel him.

So if Link is around with Courage, Ganon is gonna show up with Power.

The only Chosen of Power I can think of who isn't Ganon is the sorceress from Hyrule Warriors, but because of timeline-jumping, it goes back and forth between her and G-dorf a few times.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm kind of hoping that Breath of the Wild 2 does something other than Ganon, because there are so many games where it seems like someone else but it still all comes down to him and it's kind of dull.
Ganon as player character.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Ganon as player character.

Ganon & Zelda team up to stop Oni Link

vvv :hmmyes:

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 00:42 on Apr 18, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Ganon of course has a 12 pack and wears a red banana hammock and a smile.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Take a cue from Nier, Ganon's Boar Drift Racing.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Leal posted:

Ganon of course has a 12 pack and wears a red banana hammock and a smile.

So the Mr X mod from REmake:2

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I hit "that point" in the Control DLC, the combination of awesome setpiece + annoying setback to checkpoint when you inevitably don't ace it in one go. I love you and your game so much Remedy, why can't you add better checkpointing with all your other tweaks :arghfist::saddowns:

FYI I'm still in this segment. How the hell do you decide your stylish setpiece has to be a ten minute enemy gauntlet with all sorts of chances to screw up but no checkpoints? It'd be a standout part of the game if only you could just restart partway through, instead it's been a week-long stopping point that I might not get through. gently caress.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Schubalts posted:

Ganondorf is always the Chosen of the Triforce of Power, isn't he? Ganondorf with a different upbringing would probably be a hero on par with Link.

I was just thinking it'd be nice if we had a Zelda game where you think you're Link, but turn out to actually be alternate Ganondorf, and Link is the villain.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Schubalts posted:

Ganondorf is different to Link and Zelda, in that while those two are constantly reborn, Ganondorf is always the same guy from Ocarina of Time, every time having escaped from some eternal seal or another, or in rare cases (Zelda II, the Oracle games) actually being brought back from the dead by someone.

Ganondorf has canonically died in all three Zelda timelines, at the end of the original Zelda, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess. Breath of the Wild somehow takes place in all three timelines, so at some point he came back from all three.

For whatever this counts as, though, the corpse in the BOTW 2 trailer matches none of Ganondorf's death conditions. I have literally no idea if this matters.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I'm playing through Fire Emblem Three Houses again, and the way they did the DLC still bugs me. It's this completely irrelevant side story with a bunch of new characters in a secret underground FOURTH HOUSE, and then when you play the main story they get clumsily re-integrated with the vanilla stuff.

The actual DLC content was fine, but there were so many cooler storyline ideas they could have explored, and instead they made this weird diversion that nobody really asked for.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Ganondorf is different to Link and Zelda, in that while those two are constantly reborn, Ganondorf is always the same guy from Ocarina of Time, every time having escaped from some eternal seal or another, or in rare cases (Zelda II, the Oracle games) actually being brought back from the dead by someone.

Ganondorf has canonically died in all three Zelda timelines, at the end of the original Zelda, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess. Breath of the Wild somehow takes place in all three timelines, so at some point he came back from all three.

For whatever this counts as, though, the corpse in the BOTW 2 trailer matches none of Ganondorf's death conditions. I have literally no idea if this matters.

The three canon Ganons unite to stop Ganon IV, aka Ultraganon, from destroying Hyrule in all realities

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Zelda, Link, and Ganon are all reborn. Zelda and Link via reincarnation, Ganon via resurrection. That's part of the story, they're the way Hyrule balances itself.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Captain Monkey posted:

Zelda, Link, and Ganon are all reborn. Zelda and Link via reincarnation, Ganon via resurrection. That's part of the story, they're the way Hyrule balances itself.

Why does Hyrule even need that kind of balance though. It's like a Modern Democrat where it's just like "Why are you letting the Big Evil man out again?" "We need ~balance~" "Yeah, but do we really need to bring someone in who'll just kill everyone for the sake of Decorum? We could just not and say we did..."

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

so basically Zelda, Link, and Ganon need to realize this is pointless and kill God?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

BioEnchanted posted:

Why does Hyrule even need that kind of balance though. It's like a Modern Democrat where it's just like "Why are you letting the Big Evil man out again?" "We need ~balance~" "Yeah, but do we really need to bring someone in who'll just kill everyone for the sake of Decorum? We could just not and say we did..."

To be fair, Power isn't inherently evil. It's just that the evil guy holding onto it is really, really bad at letting go, and really, really good at not dying.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Because otherwise there wouldn't be a video game for us to play.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

BioEnchanted posted:

Garon resurrects again and again because in Skyward Sword, canonically the first game in all timelines, Demise, a being of intense evil and hate, vows upon his defeat at the hands of Link that his hatred will be reborn again and again to lay waste to the lands. Said hatred constantly revives itself in the form of Ganon, waging an eternal war against the kingdom of Hyrule.

Link and Zelda are continually reincarnated to have someone to fight against Ganon and defeat him each time. Ganon isn't revived because of balance, Ganon is revived because of Demise, it's Link and Zelda who are reincarnated as a form of balancing him out.

But also:

Captain Monkey posted:

Because otherwise there wouldn't be a video game for us to play.

There's this too. :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I'm playing through Fire Emblem Three Houses again, and the way they did the DLC still bugs me. It's this completely irrelevant side story with a bunch of new characters in a secret underground FOURTH HOUSE, and then when you play the main story they get clumsily re-integrated with the vanilla stuff.

The actual DLC content was fine, but there were so many cooler storyline ideas they could have explored, and instead they made this weird diversion that nobody really asked for.

Better ideas like what exactly?

Captain Hygiene posted:

The three canon Ganons unite to stop Ganon IV, aka Ultraganon, from destroying Hyrule in all realities

God, I wish there was a Zelda game where you finish it by getting into a giant mech.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

God, I wish there was a Zelda game where you finish it by getting into a giant mech.

Breath of the Wild, duh. You activate 4 giant mechs :v:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Ff7R has a hard mode that also functions as new game+: you can play chapters in hard mode, keeping everything you've earned in the game, which is cool. Enemies are tough, obviously, and you no longer recover MP at benches, but what really sucks is that you can't use items. At all.

This means that every chapter is an exercise in keeping your MP going through every fight (since you can't recover it at all between battles now), putting emphasis on non-MP healing abilities and basically making things an endurance match that isn't very fun. No items in combat, I could see (even though that basically forces everyone to have heal and revive materia) but no items ever means that everything simply becomes about MP, with fewer options as a result.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

so basically Zelda, Link, and Ganon need to realize this is pointless and kill God?

Kill gods, plural, probably. There's at least three, probably four (Hylia's status as a god and connection to the other three is nebulous), maybe even more.

But I'm pretty sure none of them are responsible for this. The canonical reason they all keep coming back, I believe, is because Demise (demon king, not god) cursed Link's soul and Zelda's bloodline to always have to deal with his reborn hatred. That's usually in the form of Ganon, but it's also the reason they never catch a loving break even in the games where Ganon's dead or not born yet.

I don't think they can stop Link's soul from constantly being reborn, so realistically, their only way of stopping this cycle of bullshit is to wipe out the Royal Family and leave no survivors. And the only time they even got close to that is Wind Waker.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

You could do neat things with an idea like if the Goddesses were an antagonist, maybe they'd revoke the triforce powers and knock Zelda, Link and Ganondorf down to normal, only for them to realise Blue Dragon-style that the power was always part of them in some way - Ganondorf may not be able to turn into a giant pig or throw fireballs but he's still buff as hell in his own right, Zelda can't use her light magic but she's still the smartest person in the room and Link? He's just too dumb to know how to stop, his courage will keep pushing and pushing until it breaks through. I kind of imagine Hylia's like the Greek Titan Gaia, she initiated everything, but she's kind of irrelevant now.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

A lot of people were hoping they do some kind of director's cut with the Black Eagles route to make it more complete at the end – it's 18 vs 21/22 chapters. I never thought it was a realistic idea, but it's a tempting thought.

Even if they didn't want to do something to change the regular game, they could have done a prologue with Seiros. They could have done a weird alternate universe where Byleth is the bad guy. They could have done some kind of wacky excursion where the house leaders have to team up – I thought this was going to be how the real DLC is, but they barely interact with each other. If they wanted to go for fan service, they could have someone knock over a bookcase and Marth and Lucina come out of a textbook or something.

I just don't think the DLC added anything, storywise. We get to learn Byleth's mom had a creepy stalker? and Rhea kept her body around?????It just felt like a side story for the sake of a side story, and if they wanted to do that I'd prefer to use the existing characters instead of new ones who have like 6 supports.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Vandar posted:

Garon resurrects again and again because in Skyward Sword, canonically the first game in all timelines, Demise, a being of intense evil and hate, vows upon his defeat at the hands of Link that his hatred will be reborn again and again to lay waste to the lands. Said hatred constantly revives itself in the form of Ganon, waging an eternal war against the kingdom of Hyrule.

Link and Zelda are continually reincarnated to have someone to fight against Ganon and defeat him each time. Ganon isn't revived because of balance, Ganon is revived because of Demise, it's Link and Zelda who are reincarnated as a form of balancing him out.

But also:

There's this too. :v:

Is Skyward Sword actually any good? I remember it got a lot of flack for the motionplus stuff, but can't remember anything about the game itself.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Is Skyward Sword actually any good? I remember it got a lot of flack for the motionplus stuff, but can't remember anything about the game itself.

I generally remember it being a good game hindered by overzealous motion controls, but the problem is everything needs those controls. It might have some of my favorite settings in the Zelda series, and some really nice designs, but it straight-up suffers from every single thing in that game needing motion controls. Especially when those motion controls are a little iffy; I've mentioned in this thread loooooong ago, but the Wii Motion Plus is sensitive to the point where it picks up someone's really specific quirks of movement, so while you'll probably have issues they'll be different from anyone else's issues. I know my problem is that I got too excited with horizontal swings, so they often came out diagonal.

I'd be REALLY interested in seeing a Skyward Sword HD, in part because it's an honestly pretty game, but mostly because they'd have to do something else with the controls. Without a re-release like that, the best thing I can say about Skyward Sword is that it provided some fantastic materials for Hyrule Warriors to play with.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's basically a crapshoot as to whether the motion controls work for you or not. I enjoyed it, but I didn't have any trouble with them. My friend who played using the same Wiimote as me on the same system just straight up couldn't control the game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I couldn't work out the Loftwing controls mostly so exploration was impossible.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

BioEnchanted posted:

I couldn't work out the Loftwing controls mostly so exploration was impossible.

I was relatively fine with that one, I think because I generally found it to be more fun to be a hugeass dork and really lean into the motion controls. That works really well for the Loftwing if you do some big dumb flapping motions. I had a similar thing in Metroid Prime 3 with the grapple lasso and ripping off plates; it's hard to get the accelerometer to really respond if you're light with it, but if you just decide to dork out and really fuckin' TUG with it, roughly matching what Samus has to do, then it'll work just fine.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The motion controls are whatever, but the most egregious thing is the constant tutorials. Skyward Sword is a game that really doesn't want you to figure anything out.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Skyward Sword was also where Zelda's tutorials hit it's worst.

I remember the intro being hours long and constantly stopping me to tell me how an obvious mechanic works, seemingly every time your health was low the game's Navi stand-in would stop you to tell you "your health is low, drink a potion!". Probably a bunch of other stuff like that too, I haven't played that game since it came out. Only 3D Zelda game I never finished.

EDIT: how did spell check turn tutorials into industrialisation?

Veotax has a new favorite as of 15:08 on Apr 18, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BioEnchanted posted:

Breath of the Wild, duh. You activate 4 giant mechs :v:

MegaZeldon Vs GigaGanon

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

A lot of people were hoping they do some kind of director's cut with the Black Eagles route to make it more complete at the end – it's 18 vs 21/22 chapters. I never thought it was a realistic idea, but it's a tempting thought.

Honestly, all the house stories except maybe the Blue Lions could have done with a director's cut. Silver Snow is crying out for Rhea to be playable and take Edelgard's place, the Golden Deer absolutely shouldn't have a copy/paste of Edelgard's death scene from Silver Snow, and the three non-Edelgard routes should have gotten more work to make the majority of their post-timeskip missions actually different from each other; rather than Reunion at Dawn, the second siege of Garreg Mach, the Valley of Torment, and Rose-Colored River all being basically identical between the three routes (and City Without Light, the assault on Enbarr, and Edelgard's palace are identical between Snow and Wind).

FETH is a good game, but man is it obvious that they ran out of time/budget.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Burnout Paradise Remastered is cool but I'm not actually a big fan of the game doing that photo thing with the driver's license.

I play games to escape, not to see my haggard face looking back at me :bahgawd:

Edit: Skyward Sword chat, it does probably have my favourite dungeons in the pre-botw world. Ancient Cistern and the Sandship were my favourites.

Lord Lambeth has a new favorite as of 14:40 on Apr 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Veotax posted:

Skyward Sword was also where Zelda's industrialisation hit it's worst.

I remember the intro being hours long and constantly stopping me to tell me how an obvious mechanic works, seemingly every time your health was low the game's Navi stand-in would stop you to tell you "your health is low, drink a potion!". Probably a bunch of other stuff like that too, I haven't played that game since it came out. Only 3D Zelda game I never finished.

Even in lockdown, I ain't got time for that poo poo.

I've got Timespinner on the Xbox game pass. It's a fairly standard metroidvania - platforming, jumping enemies with obviously telegraphed attacks etc etc. But the difficulty settings are utterly incompetent.

I played through to the first boss on normal. I have 124 health, and enemies hit me for a measily 4. So that's 31 attacks to kill me. It's completely boring, you can blindly run through the levels without thinking. Even the first boss deals only about 8% of my total health, and healing items are plentiful so you can just face tank your way through him.

Checking the forums, you can enter a password to unlock the Hard mode that you normally have to beat the game to unlock. And now enemies hit me for....75 damage a piece. 2 hits and I'm dead. And this has that lazy 2D game design where enemies damage you just by touching you, so if you get your positioning slightly wrong whilst hitting the boss up the arse BAM game over.

There is no difficulty between trivially easy and controller-snapping hard. There's an Easy mode though! Just in case Normal was too tricky!