Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I recognized Smoka from YOSPOS. They're a pretty decent shitposter, and posts a lot of interesting youtube videos in the YOSPOS pics thread. Dunno how serious their QQCS thread was, but I lol'd at it.

In somewhat happier news, Missouri will not be left behind in the arena of "re-open our state" protests.

Here Are the Mental Giants Planning a Protest to Reopen Missouri Next Week
https://www.riverfronttimes.com/newsblog/2020/04/17/here-are-the-mental-giants-planning-a-protest-to-reopen-missouri-next-week

The reporter is over it all.

my favorite line posted:

Now before we go any further, let me say: I almost didn't write this post. To a degree, I understand that a lot of these people are scared, and this willful denial of science and defiant chest-beating amount to a coping mechanism. It is far, far more comforting to believe that uh George Soros and uh I dunno "the media" is teamed up with pfffft maybe Hillary or Obama or some poo poo I dunno in a dastardly plot to utterly sink the economy that is responsible for all of their wealth than it is to believe that an invisible pathogen that doesn't give a gently caress about you or your political leanings is legitimately and indiscriminately infecting and killing people at an alarming rate.

At the same time, you are endangering the rest of us. Not to mention:
https://twitter.com/guillotineshout/status/1250799880228032521?s=20

quote:

So please beg pardon while I drag these people mercilessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://twitter.com/CErcoliCBS2KCAL/status/1251253706676289536
https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/status/1251273795047845888

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Best Friends posted:

The only reason Oprah isn't president is because she doesn't want to be. I'd make a joke about how terrible that would be but honestly she'd be a step up from our current options

To quote Lex Luthor: “...do you know how much power I'd have to give up to be President?”

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Brute Squad posted:

I recognized Smoka from YOSPOS. They're a pretty decent shitposter, and posts a lot of interesting youtube videos in the YOSPOS pics thread. Dunno how serious their QQCS thread was, but I lol'd at it.

From some of the posts recently I think smoka is having n exceptionally bad time, and he/she just selfbanned so that’s that for now.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Hyrax Attack! posted:

To quote Lex Luthor: “...do you know how much power I'd have to give up to be President?”

Yet he did eventually run for president, *won*, and promptly, in two universes/timelines, went super evil. In one, secretly allying with Darkseid and in the other, nearly starting WW3 instead of being impeached, forcing Superman to kill him, turning the Justice League into fascist overlords. DC even went so far in a recent book to have Clark Kent lambast Luthor during a WHCD, which spurred him to start an exploratory committee. A little on the nose, but hey.

Trump has shattered the barrier that held billionaires back from running for the presidency. The emoluments clause is now merely a suggestion, and if you think the Democrats will/would enforce it if/when a left-leaning/left-pretending billionaire candidate with a modicum of charisma comes along, you're nuts.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 18, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ASAPI posted:

I think it comes from two different things:

1. We are desensitized to death as a society.
2. I don't think people understand how many people 2-3% of the population is. If they used a "real" number, 6-9 million people, it might be different.

Measure it in war units. The only way we'll learn

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Brute Squad posted:

In somewhat happier news, Missouri will not be left behind in the arena of "re-open our state" protests.

Here Are the Mental Giants Planning a Protest to Reopen Missouri Next Week
https://www.riverfronttimes.com/newsblog/2020/04/17/here-are-the-mental-giants-planning-a-protest-to-reopen-missouri-next-week

The reporter is over it all.

https://twitter.com/guillotineshout/status/1250799880228032521?s=20

This is all true and the problem is ultimately the american people. This country can survive Donald Trump. It can't survive conservative voters doing the same god drat thing every 4 to 8 years. I hate* to sound like a broken record but we're going to witness the death of an empire in real time- from the inside. This poo poo's going to get wild.

*not really

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

Measure it in war units. The only way we'll learn

Chuds will just write off the dead as casualties of war. It's the only logical end result of Trump calling himself a wartime president, and his cronies using military terms to suggest we're fighting a war against the virus and our medical providers are on the front lines. Makes it so much easier to overlook all the needlessly dead first responders and hospital staff.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Arc Light posted:

Chuds will just write off the dead as casualties of war. It's the only logical end result of Trump calling himself a wartime president, and his cronies using military terms to suggest we're fighting a war against the virus and our medical providers are on the front lines. Makes it so much easier to overlook all the needlessly dead first responders and hospital staff.

Don't forget the "Invisible Enemy!" I'm sure that phrase isn't going anywhere any time soon.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...a2b7_story.html

quote:

“I think there’s a boiling point that has been reached and exceeded,” said Stephen Moore, a conservative economist. Moore is a member of both the White House council to reopen the country and a coalition of conservative leaders and activists seeking to push government officials to relax stay-at-home orders.

“I call these people the modern-day Rosa Parks — they are protesting against injustice and a loss of liberties,” Moore said of the protesters

So not only have we verified that Trump’s brain worms are transmissible via proximity to him, but they are just positively FEASTING on the newly infected.

I do not like this Stephen Moore guy. Not in the slightest.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I get the feeling that all this poo poo is just gonna break the brains of people similar to 9/11. Just waiting on calls to go to war against China.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Defenestrategy posted:

I get the feeling that all this poo poo is just gonna break the brains of people similar to 9/11. Just waiting on calls to go to war against China.

The drum to bang for that is being set up as we speak.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/tom-cotton-was-right-coronavirus-may-have-come-from-a-chinese-lab

quote:

Now that the Washington Post reported on it, is it finally OK to say out loud that the China-borne coronavirus may have come out of a science lab in Wuhan?

I only ask because the national media and left-wing denialists, right up to this very moment, have been nearly snapping their own spines while bending over backward to dismiss the idea. They pilloried Republican Sen. Tom Cotton as a lunatic for stating the obvious — that China, one way or another, is solely responsible for the global disease outbreak that has so far left more than 100,000 dead and nearly 2 million infected.

https://www.cotton.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=1352

quote:

Senator Tom Cotton (R-Arkansas) and Representative Dan Crenshaw (R-Texas) introduced legislation that would allow Americans to sue China in federal court to recover damages for death, injury, and economic harm caused by the Wuhan Virus. Specifically, the bill would amend the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act to create a narrow exception for damages caused by China’s dangerous handling of the Wuhan Virus outbreak.

“By silencing doctors and journalists who tried to warn the world about the coronavirus, the Chinese Communist Party allowed the virus to spread quickly around the globe. Their decision to cover up the virus led to thousands of needless deaths and untold economic harm. It’s only appropriate that we hold the Chinese government accountable for the damage it has caused,” said Cotton.

“We need to hold the Chinese government accountable for their malicious lies and coverup that allowed the coronavirus to spread across the world. The communist regime expelled journalists, silenced whistleblowers, and withheld vital information that delayed the global response to the pandemic. Simply put: their actions cost American lives and livelihoods. This bill will help ensure China’s actions are not without consequences,” said Crenshaw.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/04/coronavirus-politics-media-owe-senator-tom-cotton-apology/

quote:

He never said China intentionally released the coronavirus, and his suggestion that the disease originated in a Wuhan laboratory looks increasingly plausible.

One of the biggest issues people have with the mainstream press these days is that some of its members are so insulated that they end up buying into and promoting false narratives without actually checking these narratives’ veracity. That seems to be exactly what happened in mid February, when major outlets overwhelmingly smeared Senator Tom Cotton (R., Ark.) as a conspiracy theorist for asking legitimate questions about the origins of the current COVID-19 pandemic.

Cotton was one of the first politicians to raise the alarm about the seriousness of COVID-19 and the dishonesty of the Chinese government, as NRO’s John McCormack has pointed out. Cotton emphasized at the time that China was not being transparent about the virus and its origins. Cotton further noted that Wuhan, which was the main location for the first outbreak, had a biosafety Level 4 laboratory that specializes in researching coronaviruses. Cotton specifically said that “we don’t have evidence that the disease originated there, but because of China’s duplicity and dishonesty from the beginning, we need to at least ask the question to see what the evidence says.”

https://nypost.com/2020/04/16/republicans-call-for-action-against-china-over-coronavirus-crisis/

quote:

Just days after Senate Homeland Security Committee Chairman Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) announced a wide-ranging investigation into the origins of the virus and the Chinese Communist Party’s handling of it, a myriad of Senate Republicans began calling for the US to respond more aggressively to China.

Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) told Fox News Wednesday that Communist Chinese leadership “must be made to pay the price” if it is confirmed that the virus originated in a laboratory in Wuhan.

That claim about the virus’ origin, “if it bears out, shows that the Chinese Communist Party is responsible for every single death, every job lost, every retirement nest egg lost from this coronavirus, and Xi Jinping and his Chinese Communist apparatchiks must be made to pay the price. If that turns out to be true,” Cotton told the network.

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) said in a separate Fox News appearance Wednesday that China’s dishonesty surrounding the virus turned it into “a threat to national security and global health.”

“China has long been the most significant geopolitical threat the United States faces, and we’ve always viewed it as a human rights offense when they censor and silence free speech,” he said.

“We’ve now seen that it’s not just a human rights threat, but it is also a threat to national security and global health when it … comes to this Wuhan outbreak.”

You can see the groundwork being laid for being even shittier to China.

e: these are all from the last 72 hours or less.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Needs that Drake meme thing.

Spending money on precaution, prevention, testing and treatment, saving American lives? Nah

Spending money on the military industrial complex, lusting for Chinese death? Yeah

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Is Right to Die a lefty position?

Maybe if we tell them it is, they'll knock it off with this poo poo.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Did the last war with china go exactly great

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

Did the last war with china go exactly great

Sure, went great, they just have these piddly bolt-actions, how hard could it be?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
It would be interesting to see what happens when they hack the poo poo out of every system we got.

At least we wouldn't have to break out the ANCDs I'm pretty sure they can listen in on the fly and have been able to for a while.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Old Boot posted:

Is Right to Die a lefty position?

Maybe if we tell them it is, they'll knock it off with this poo poo.

I think it falls in that same category as 'right to life', i.e. only the Christian god can decide who lives and dies.

Remember Terri Schivo and that whole mess?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Oh, keep in mind Trump is using this emergency to send more and more troops to the border, even though the flow of migrants has slowed to a trickle.

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/add...tbreak-1.624512

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/us-troops-remain-at-southern-border-despite-waning-migration-as-coronavirus-spreads-elsewhere-1.623474

My favorite is the second article where it says troops have literally been used for area beautification to make the wall look better.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/realDerekUtley/status/1251319544813142020?s=19

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Christ, now the CSMs around the army and marines are going to try and outdo him.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Millions of Americans are going to die because we have an idiot Hollywood conception of freedom.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Why is it senior enlisted all seem to contract a case of brain worms once they hit E7?

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I really can't believe that people are willing to sacrifice grandma Betty just because they can't get a margarita at Chili's.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bengy81 posted:

I really can't believe that people are willing to sacrifice grandma Betty just because they can't get a margarita at Chili's.

Grandma Betty seems to be the one that wants to sacrifice herself. Younger people are the ones taking quarantine seriously.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Handsome Ralph posted:

Why is it senior enlisted all seem to contract a case of brain worms once they hit E7?

You have cause and effect incorrect.
People without brain worms get out and become productive humans in the real world.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

They have nothing else to be proud of so they cling to their SNCO poo poo.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Stultus Maximus posted:

You have cause and effect incorrect.
People without brain worms get out and become productive humans in the real world.

Beat me to this

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

hobbesmaster posted:

Grandma Betty seems to be the one that wants to sacrifice herself. Younger people are the ones taking quarantine seriously.

There's a non-zero part of me that just wants to say "gently caress it, open everything up and do it soon so we get a couple more rounds before the election."

:sigh: I don't like that part very much.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Godholio posted:

There's a non-zero part of me that just wants to say "gently caress it, open everything up and do it soon so we get a couple more rounds before the election."

If it would not endanger kids at school and health professionals I'd start to think about agreeing as well.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Normal people

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Godholio posted:

The school situation is legit frustrating, trying to be a teacher and work full-time isn't working.

I totally get why people are frustrated and resentful but holy gently caress, I really don't think people grasp how hosed our health Care system is.

I was talking with a customer last week, OR director in a poor rural county, and they said the media was overreacting and this was all fake news.

There are maybe a dozen ICU beds spread out in a 200 mile area for 12000 mostly old and poor people.

poo poo is gonna be ugly when the Rona hits rural America...

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I know one young person upset that we aren't opening up the economy. They're a LEO who is convinced the Dems are trying to take his families money and government is the issue, and also Dems only want money to give to the poor and for abortions. Uncle Sam is the issue. They've never had a job not funded by tax payers as far as I know. Oh and they're racist.

So, ya know, brain worms

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Godholio posted:

I have had this thought, myself, but then I think of everything else: Essential workers dying in droves. People dying of heart attacks, strokes, even staph infections, because literally every health care facility is a COVID-19 facility now. Spikes in levels of tetanus, and other preventable diseases. Cancer patients that might have had a good prognosis waiting around for a year, and cutting their chances of survival from 90 to 40. A flood of newly disabled individuals that can no longer work due to long-term heart and lung damage caused by the virus.

Lol if anyone thinks we have anywhere near the infrastructure to deal with any of that, least of all the newly disabled. And as HCWs die off, we'll have precious few available to replace them, save maybe some med school students that haven't yet graduated.

Honestly, if these assholes were willing to go to their own fever clinics, and die quietly there instead of clogging up the hospitals, I'd say fine. Do it. Live out your death cult dreams to the fullest extent, as a means of exercising your beloved freedom or whatever. But they'd rather take everyone else down with them, so-- whatever.

Into the volcano, I guess.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 18, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

bengy81 posted:

American Exceptionalism.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Godholio posted:

Even as a tough love scenario you don't want it to happen; the US will learn absolutely zero lessons from this and it doesn't matter how high the bodies are stacked. God drat we are a stupid people

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
The only tough love scenario I can get behind is Pissbaby45 causing the actual Balkanization of US states, and thus an actual end to the US.

Let his claim to fame be 'I was so bad at this, I literally killed a nation.'

...And even then, I'm not super fond of what that would end up looking like.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

We had a good 70 year run, it’s time to let China lead the world.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
we're nearly 20 years and untold dead and trillions spent into ignoring the lessons of 9/11. we're absolutely not going to learn something here, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Everyone screaming this is a hoax or we need to open the economy etc will absolutely still just blame the nebulous other and Democrats when this impacts them anyway. This is a loving freeroll for the GOP to get as much grift and groundwork for fascism as they can since the Democrats in Congress will by and large do nothing and roll over for them anyway.