Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

He's literally dead RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m late on this one and dank it there are no “rules” as to what can go in a pasty, that’s the actual point they were whatever was in season wrapped in pastry and then taken down the mines.

/grumbles about how the gatekeeping of pasties is an added level of petty absolutely no one needs during an actual plague.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Endjinneer posted:

Yes and no, respectively. The work isn't something that takes a lot of verbal back-and-forth either, so working with a colleague on the opposite side of the globe takes fairly little extra effort.
My point was that in my knowledge based industry where the balance of power already lies with the employee, the experience of a lockdown is going to open opportunities for a change in the relationship between employer and employee which further goes in favour of many employees.
Having been a union member during market conditions that were dire enough for that relationship to briefly invert, the scale of the crisis was so great that the union's collective bargaining power was moot.
I'm not down t' pit wi' t' lads, so a traditional marxist reading of the situation doesn't yield useful conclusions. Postcapitalism is an interesting book which tries to explore how it can, incidentally.

To torture that metaphor of yours, it's not a house without a roof so much as a hotel without a roof. You keep your bags packed, you nick the towels, you make sure you have an umbrella and a good idea how to build at least a shack of your own. In the event of a downpour that makes all that preparation useless, even buildings with roofs are hosed.

but not everyone in the hotel has the ability to leave and go on a little camping trip when it rains, that's the point

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Barry Foster posted:

lol no im dead

Were you sassassinated?

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Deleted now for some reason..

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

learnincurve posted:

I’m late on this one and dank it there are no “rules” as to what can go in a pasty, that’s the actual point they were whatever was in season wrapped in pastry and then taken down the mines.

/grumbles about how the gatekeeping of pasties is an added level of petty absolutely no one needs during an actual plague.

All I know about pasties is the jam goes on first.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

learnincurve posted:

Make as many chicken balti pasties as you want (and send them to me) but if a people and community are intrinsically linked to their food as part of culture preventing that from being homogenised is great.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

winegums posted:

Deleted now for some reason..

What was it?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

learnincurve posted:

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
that's Cornish nasty

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The Question IRL posted:

This is a good thread about how the Government mismanaged the ventilator situation.

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1251434219139665920?s=19

quote:

Work on a specification for manufacturers had started on March 13. An early draft seen by the FT included a link to a YouTube video. It was a tutorial on the Manley Blease “pneumatically-powered” ventilator first designed in 1961 but which, as the narrator concludes, has been “consigned to the history books”.

:yayclod:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
findus crispy pancakes are actually pasties

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

They're actually calzones

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

I need the source for these, now.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

baka kaba posted:

They're actually calzones empanadas

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

winegums posted:

I need the source for these, now.
https://www.jusrol.co.uk/pastry-recipes/custard-and-mixed-berry-hand-pies

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I've been doing my share of the cooking at my parents and they are gobsmacked at how I am somehow 'really good at it'. I'm extremely average and my one and only secret is that I know how to use herbs and spices, lol. I do not understand how people can get this far in life without learning how to season poo poo. :britain:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

:stare:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

learnincurve posted:

One of the best pasties I ever had was a huge cornish-style one that they filled full of chicken curry

I miss gluten :(

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

I've been doing my share of the cooking at my parents and they are gobsmacked at how I am somehow 'really good at it'. I'm extremely average and my one and only secret is that I know how to use herbs and spices, lol. I do not understand how people can get this far in life without learning how to season poo poo. :britain:

My favourite part of "being a good cook" is basically just my willingness to use a large knife. Loads of people feel like they're somehow going to slice all their fingers off with a large knife, then proceed to use a tiny blade for everything and barely escape without a knife through their fingers with every meal.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm extremely average and my one and only secret is that I know how to use herbs and spices, lol. I do not understand how people can get this far in life without learning how to season poo poo. :britain:
:same:

Even then I've got like half a dozen of those herbs what come in the glass pots and a vague idea of what to put with what kind of dish.

For some reason (not sure if it's the ready meal industry, patriarchy, lack of proper instruction in schools, or what) but a lot of young men seem to think that cooking is somehow magic, when in reality it's more like labwork (but you can eat the results). You have your reagents, your glassware, your utensils, and your processes, and if you know which ones to use for what you can largely predict the results.

Having someone to cook for who appreciates it is a big motivator too. I'm 90% certain I'd eat like poo poo if I was on my own.

I know right, beans belong in other places.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

All I know is pasties go on nipples.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

All I know is pasties go on nipples.

They do if you drop them.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
I think it was triggered by the Guardian still burying the antisemitism report but I've been feeling really sick and anxious all day that we just don't know how badly some people are suffering from the lockdown right now. Like it was always going to an unequal burden, people that are comfortably off but can't work from home are kind of having a holiday, people that are comfortably off but can work from home yeah that sucks a little but people that are crammed a whole family into a tower block flat? People with a chemical dependence suddenly going cold turkey? Like a loving single mum that can work from home but also has to do childcare simultaneously wtf, the domestic abuse surge that surely must be happening and old people completely, COMPLETELY alone because they can't understand the technology sufficiently it's really loving me up.

Like just as a statistical necessity there is an ocean of pain happening right now and there is literally no system in place in this country for that pain to be expressed through. The Mirror is poverty shaming

and the Guardian is doing some even more sinister poo poo

and growing up those were the good ones, they were meant to be the instititutions that cared. I don't know maybe I'm ranting but I can't see any meaningful mechanism that could even potentially tell us how bad it really is for the most vulnerable right now it's freaking me out.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Vitamin P posted:

and growing up those were the good ones, they were meant to be the instititutions that cared. I don't know maybe I'm ranting but I can't see any meaningful mechanism that could even potentially tell us how bad it really is for the most vulnerable right now it's freaking me out.
I suppose it's better to know that the Guardian is anything but that.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
the last remaining neutral one was the bbc until it was gutted over the past 15-20 years. I don't think the uk has had any good media for probably half a century

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Celexi posted:

the last remaining neutral one was the bbc until it was gutted over the past 15-20 years. I don't think the uk has had any good media for probably half a century

And shockingly enough we have a completely politically illiterate population. It's almost like that was on purpose or something.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

guardian used to be decent on foreign affairs stuff but shite on the UK

now its just complete poo poo since they rolled over and showed their pink bellies to the government at the first sign of trouble

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I hear the Sunday Times is ripping the government and Boris a new one tomorrow.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Szmitten posted:

I hear the Sunday Times is ripping the government and Boris a new one tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/alanferrier/status/1251618521718632448

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Owen Jones has extensive screencaps:

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1251606098974474244

tl;dr boris didn't bother turning up and the tories sold all the ppe

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

crispix posted:

I really hate how the BBC writes headlines. Why aren't those two separate sentences? It suggests those people died because councils have got extra funding :mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loWFypHb48k

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

josh04 posted:

Owen Jones has extensive screencaps:

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1251606098974474244

tl;dr boris didn't bother turning up and the tories sold all the ppe

Occasionally when I felt like being charitable to people who voted Tory, I could just rely on the idea that diffuse harms (like tens of thousands of excess deaths due to austerity) were too abstract to be salient to the average under-educated lumpenprole.

But anyone who would look at this loving murderous shambles and not bay for Tory blood to run in the streets is complicit

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

Occasionally when I felt like being charitable to people who voted Tory, I could just rely on the idea that diffuse harms (like tens of thousands of excess deaths due to austerity) were too abstract to be salient to the average under-educated lumpenprole.

But anyone who would look at this loving murderous shambles and not bay for Tory blood to run in the streets is complicit

its really, really easy for people to think "well hindsight is 20/20, whats done is done" which is i think how a large majority of people will think about this.

i think like the thousands of dead from austerity, the fact is for the media and the public talking about this kind of thing is just "hysterics". if the gov had actually killed thousands then someone would have done something about it

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Communist Thoughts posted:

its really, really easy for people to think "well hindsight is 20/20, whats done is done" which is i think how a large majority of people will think about this.

i think like the thousands of dead from austerity, the fact is for the media and the public talking about this kind of thing is just "hysterics". if the gov had actually killed thousands then someone would have done something about it

I watched some of the dudes on Gogglebox almost in tears that brave Boris had turned the corner, and how he really appreciates the NHS now. I (a sophisticated politics understander) just ruefully chuckled. It would be wild to be able to live your life with the brain of a child in the body of an adult

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Lol Boris never turned up to all the emergency meetings and did gently caress all prep work even when told it'd kill half a million people.

I'd say its unbelievable but it's actually completely within his character.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I don't really find it remotely surprising, I keep saying it but he is equal parts lazy and stupid.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's always funny that these things happen literally right after they win elections. Hope the public remembers in 2025!!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Ok he's too lazy to run the country but imagine the alternative, a government with a ker-azy free internet scheme that may well have failed and merely massively improved broadband access to rural areas. We made the right decision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah but could you Imagine if Jeremy Corbyn was in charge? He'd be calling the virus his friend!!! 😂😂😂