Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I feel like if it was plastic they would have made a big deal about it, and I also can't see them deciding that Saul Tarvitz is the guy to be a plastic character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Corrode posted:

I feel like if it was plastic they would have made a big deal about it, and I also can't see them deciding that Saul Tarvitz is the guy to be a plastic character.

It could just be that 3D printing the master makes for a more plastic-y look on the resin molds.

(Also they've been shifting to a more 'Eavy Metal paint style for their Heresy releases over the past few years -- contrast these guys with these guys (or if you want a real stark contrast, these guys, though comparing anything to that old oiled metal semi-candy-coat Iron Hands scheme is probably unfair) -- and it's possible that just reads more plastic to me because I'm used to seeing it on plastic models, so I've internalized the more military-modeling-influenced painting style of FW from five years ago as resin-signifying and the more clean-with-edge-highlights 'Eavy Metal style as plastic-signifying.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 18, 2020

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Nah, this is 30k and it's the exact sort of weird decision they would make. Who better to potentially headline a new set of plastic models than a named character from book 1 with mediocre rules meant entirely for narrative games on Istvaan III. He's got Preferred Enemy (Emperor's Children), a sniper rifle, and a custom sword for gently caress's sake. He's perfect. Who knows, there's a super long shot we'll see a new starter set on Istvaan III with plastic Saul Tarvitz and some other dude. Prospero had Ahriman and Geigor Fell-Hand (aka Not-Bjorn), after all, but they never got a separate release. I'd rather have generic character options in starters, but that's just me.

It's not like he's a nobody. Tarvitz is apparently a beloved character from the BL books so he might sell better than we'd expect. I'm not really familiar with him as it's been a long time since I read the first three, but I looked up his wiki page and it's loving massive so there's clearly someone out there that cares. His name is Andy Hoare.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 18, 2020

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
His base is abnormally empty for a Character Series model.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Alternately-alternately, what we're seeing is some sort of FW-GW design convergence where despite being different teams working in different materials, the crossover, training, and skill sharing between them is now so prevalent that the FW resin sculptors have just internalized the slightly-softer-edges visual language of plastic sculpting, such that new resin sculpts tend to look more plasticy because that's just the style the sculptors have internalized as The Way Miniatures Are Supposed To Look. Or maybe the above, but just for the particular sculptor who sculpted this mini in specific.

Point being there's a bunch of ways it could have looked a bit like a plastic sculpt without being a plastic sculpt.

Or maybe they're going to announce a new Heresy plastic starter box and Tarvitz is a named character in it, like Greigor in Burning of Prospero. Or maybe they're shifting the whole line to plastic and merging the studios and it's the end of ForgeWorld o noes!

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Safety Factor posted:

Nah, this is 30k and it's the exact sort of weird decision they would make. Who better to potentially headline a new set of plastic models than a named character from book 1 with mediocre rules meant entirely for narrative games on Istvaan III. He's got Preferred Enemy (Emperor's Children), a sniper rifle, and a custom sword for gently caress's sake. He's perfect. Who knows, there's a super long shot we'll see a new starter set on Istvaan III with plastic Saul Tarvitz and some other dude. Prospero had Ahriman and Geigor Fell-Hand (aka Not-Bjorn), after all, but they never got a separate release. I'd rather have generic character options in starters, but that's just me.

It's not like he's a nobody. Tarvitz is apparently a beloved character from the BL books so he might sell better than we'd expect. I'm not really familiar with him as it's been a long time since I read the first three, but I looked up his wiki page and it's loving massive so there's clearly someone out there that cares. His name is Andy Hoare.

I mean I'm absolutely here for bonkers FW decisions and 'we made a character in plastic and didn't bother telling anyone' does totally scan. And Tarvitz is cool, just like you said, he's been dead for like 50 books. It's a cool model regardless and I'm sure there's a couple of EC players going loving nuts for him.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm a Plastic Heresy Truther now.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Yes, exactly. To summarize:

It could be plastic:
-As some sort of a one-off promotional thing, presumably using the same cheaper-lower-durability-aluminum-molds GW uses for the store anniversary models.
-As part of a new starter kit, like 30k Greigor and Magnus EDIT: Ahriman.
-As part of some as-yet-unannounced initiative to shift more of Heresy into plastic going forward.
-For some other reason.

It could be resin that looks like plastic:
-Because the practice of using 3D printed CAD sculpts produces masters more quickly and that are more easily replaced for creation of new moulds, but which hold less detail than the old hand-sculpted masters.
-Because FW is shifting more toward a GW plastic sculpting style and visual language, whether due to cross-training or shared sculptors or whatever.
-Because this particular FW sculptor trends more toward GW plastic sculpting style in his work, for whatever reason.
-Because the studio model is painted and/or lit more in the style of the GW 'Eavy Metal style than classic 30k style, and we are subconsciously reading this as "more plastic looking."
-Any combination of the above.
-For some other reason.

Or it could be resin that looks like resin and people like me are reading too much into it.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 18, 2020

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I think Saul Tarvitz is a real, flesh and blood being that lives in space and keeps us safe from tyranids

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
It's almost certainly not plastic.

The embossed details on that shoulder protrude forward as well as sideways -- the only way to make a plastic-moulded shoulder look like that would be to do it in two pieces with a seam along the center. You can see a similar phenomenon more clearly in comparison between the resin Mk VI studded shoulder pads (notice how all the studs are properly round) vs. plastic studded shoulder pads (which are round in the center but become sort of teardrop-shaped to the sides because they have to be sculpted so the mold doesn't undercut them).

You can see the same thing on the leg I've circled (and, really, everywhere else on the model) -- the details radiate in all directions from the "core" of the leg. If he were plastic, they'd favor one axis.

It's possible he's a very cleverly sliced plastic model that's had extensive work done to conceal every mold line, but it's way more likely he's just resin. So, no, they probably didn't just stealth-announce the new Istvaan starter set.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Corrode posted:

And Tarvitz is cool, just like you said, he's been dead for like 50 books.
Not what it stopped Ferrus Manus...

E: I don't believe this to be some plastic preview starter thing because Better Things Aren't Possible is the ethos that FW has drilled into me.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 18, 2020

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Definitive proof that Heresy is alive and a lot of people play it

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

There are only 5 or 6 more Horus Heresy books left, so him bring dead forever isn't too important. Though it is super weird.

He plastic.

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012
Clearly he's made out of wood.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
This entire thread is hard wood. Its the thiccness of details for me, with lack of deep detail in some spots like the hair and backpack

I see you've discovered the Black Crusade rulebook

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

This entire thread is hard wood. Its the thiccness of details for me, with lack of deep detail in some spots like the hair and backpack

I see you've discovered the Black Crusade rulebook

I never got into Black Crusade. I'm big time into Rogue Trader though.

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth
I drink with a lot of the FW guys regularly and they've told me Tarvitz is plastic, and he's coming in a new EC vs EC starter box with Lucius (who will get rules finally). It's a big tie-in with the forthcoming revamp of the EC in 40k where they get Fulgrim and new noise marine sculpts.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

When you and your boys are on a road trip to Terra. Night Lords Praetor and Command Squad.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

SpaceViking posted:

When you and your boys are on a road trip to Terra. Night Lords Praetor and Command Squad.

Awesome! I’ve always been tempted to grab some bikes. They pair really well with the Talent for Murder legion rule. Good choice

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Snake Dance posted:

I drink with a lot of the FW guys regularly and they've told me Tarvitz is plastic, and he's coming in a new EC vs EC starter box with Lucius (who will get rules finally). It's a big tie-in with the forthcoming revamp of the EC in 40k where they get Fulgrim and new noise marine sculpts.

Aw, I only have an uncle at Nintendo...

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

SpaceViking posted:

I really like the pure white helmet.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I really like Saul Tarvitz so I’m happy he’s getting a model so Ancient Rylanor has someone to hang with.

Maybe they’ll actually make a Lucius model too now.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

30k Lucius is just Sigvald the Magnificent from WHFB:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Snake Dance posted:

you're a monster

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Crosspost!

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Snake Dance posted:

Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Looking great Ghazk

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
In light of the faint hope of new boxes sets I have started up a Dark Angels side project. Trying to get a not-black black has been fun. Now to see if it can translate into tank bodies.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Killer_Bees! posted:

In light of the faint hope of new boxes sets I have started up a Dark Angels side project. Trying to get a not-black black has been fun. Now to see if it can translate into tank bodies.

looks extremely good. I like the metallic edging alot.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Killer_Bees! posted:

That looks rad!

For future reference, Vallejo Model Colour Black Grey is a really good 'almost-black'.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Killer_Bees! posted:

This is great. I really like the metallic chipping, but that's a good black.

If you are looking for a decent not-black base, GW brought back FW's Corvus Black as a main line paint. I use it for things like black leather or cables, but with the right shading it'd be great for armor too.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
Buglord

Endman posted:

That looks rad!

For future reference, Vallejo Model Colour Black Grey is a really good 'almost-black'.

100% used two Vallejo blacks for this and then hit it with the blue GW nightshade wash. Cheers for encouragement lads it will help me get into the checkers and trim for all the troops :aaaaa:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Killer_Bees! posted:

the checkers and trim for all the troops :aaaaa:
:sickos:

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Killer_Bees! posted:

How did you do that?

EDIT: To be clear I think I know how you did the metallic edge highlights, that's rad. I mean, how did you accomplish that velvety black? You say two separate black paints and a wash, but which two and how did you apply them?

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 28, 2020

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
Buglord

Stephenls posted:

How did you do that?

EDIT: To be clear I think I know how you did the metallic edge highlights, that's rad. I mean, how did you accomplish that velvety black? You say two separate black paints and a wash, but which two and how did you apply them?

Cheers bro, here are the paints used:

- base black
- airbrush heavy zenith highlight dark grey
- airbrush light zenith highlight grey blue
- seal with gloss varnish
- wash with Drakenhof Nightshade
- silver edging and weathering with GW leadbelcher

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Need to post more of my WIPs. Here's a project that I started back in 6th edition, but after switching over to the heresy I had no reason to finish it.

Now it'll be an Arlatax. Just need to do some gap fill and sanding before I call it a day. Praise the dark omnissiah

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
so good

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Converted and painted up a Maloghurst for my SoH. The banner was Decal Hell but I like the finished product- just a lot of “I’m the bad guy” attitude in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Safety Factor posted:

Saul Tarvitz out of loving nowhere.

Some speculation that he might be a plastic sculpt. Honestly? He looks like it. Wonder what that means... :dogcited:

wish EC would get more love than some random lame traitor from a traitor legion.