Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Mikl posted:

Yeah, but what can Undine do about it? Goops can apparently teleport, appearing and disappearing where and when she wishes. Unless something changes significantly, fighting monsters and mitigating the damage is all magical girls can do.

Undine has no way to know this, of course. This is all meta reasoning, for all she knows Goops is a normal (though evil) magical girl with normal limitations.

Yeah I feel like this is going to HP's reasoning too, maybe a mix of "no news is good news". They both know it's important that Goops has something done about her but at this point there's nothing they can actually do about it other than keep an eye out for her on patrols. And even then it's very easy for them to just never notice anything because goops's pretty good at making sure she's only seen when she wants to; it was pure happenstance that Rue saw Goop's arm leading the monster to her.

I also expect a lot of contradictory feelings from Undine during this conversation because Oops! All Guilt! After all the one time Undine let someone in on Goops it seemed to put HP right in her line of sight.

and good luck trying to explain any of this to someone like cassidy

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The big problem is the main thing Undine can do about Goopy is the thing she's most afraid will be dangerous - ie talking to the other girls about her. She doesn't know enough to actively hunt her down, so she'd have to gather information, which means finding out if other people have seen signs of her; but as far as she can tell anyone knowing about her is going to endanger them, since Goopy does target people.

She can try to find her out and about, but that's not really any different from just normal patrolling, so if she doesn't show up there's no sense of progress. The only other possibility is to try to find Mark, but she's not really got any leads there either, and I'm not sure if she knows anything about what he's doing either.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Course Goops might just make a shot at the Magical Girls that were palling around with her target (and Cass because, sure, why not cause some wonton destruction whilst your at it?) and force her hand in the matter.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Tenebrais posted:

The big problem is the main thing Undine can do about Goopy is the thing she's most afraid will be dangerous - ie talking to the other girls about her. She doesn't know enough to actively hunt her down, so she'd have to gather information, which means finding out if other people have seen signs of her; but as far as she can tell anyone knowing about her is going to endanger them, since Goopy does target people.

She can try to find her out and about, but that's not really any different from just normal patrolling, so if she doesn't show up there's no sense of progress. The only other possibility is to try to find Mark, but she's not really got any leads there either, and I'm not sure if she knows anything about what he's doing either.
Weirdly I feel like the best way to counter this is to tell a lot of people, so nobody has a special target on them, but that also gets problematic... the fitness club girls will trust Undine and HP, excepting Cassidy, but it's a really big thing to talk about. So maybe the fitness club girls tell the magical girls they trust - how many more people is that? And if you take that to the next level, 'this happened to a friend of a friend of a friend' is a lot less trustworthy than 'I swear to god I saw this as I lay on the ground dying'.

Basically, Undine could try this (if she were in an entirely different headspace), but idk if it would even work. If it did work, it'd be pretty ideal for splitting Goops' attention and getting information, but man, I can see why she might hesitate if she's thought of it.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Ironically maybe the best person they could luck into, Anemone who is the closest to knowing what's going on and knows their plight, is probably never going to interact with other girls again after the Tressa disaster

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

rannum posted:

Ironically maybe the best person they could luck into, Anemone who is the closest to knowing what's going on and knows their plight, is probably never going to interact with other girls again after the Tressa disaster
Anemone also seems to have ways of picking up information without being noticed, on account of it's hard to notice her anyways. She doesn't seem to know who Goops is, but she's aware of the general situation.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I forgot to mention this before during the mockthread discussion, but SA's own Tails Gets Trolled thread has a mini segment to itself in Super Eyepatch Wolf's video essay on the Bizarre Modern Reality of Sonic the Hedgehog that's pretty interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQqVZsOpXgA

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am hoping that HP recognizes that if Undine is going to go after Goops, no matter what, then she would be safest if others were with her, which would prompt her to discuss this with the rest of the fitness group. I do not see Undine letting this go, and I do not see Kokoro letting her go or abandoning her.

Wether Undine will want to do that too, in the here and now at least, will depend.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

PetraCore posted:

Anemone also seems to have ways of picking up information without being noticed, on account of it's hard to notice her anyways. She doesn't seem to know who Goops is, but she's aware of the general situation.

Isn't her power basically omniscience? Or something close to it, I thought it was said as much somewhere (maybe Cagle's retrospective of the chapter?). She knows what's going on but she doesnt know what's going on. She knows Goops was outside Tressa's window every night but not the why of it, that kind of thing.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'd like to introduce a webcomic I'm fond of. It's not an incredible work of art like some in this thread, but it's decent and underappreciated and I'm partial to it. I thought I'd share it here(and rapidly learn from y'all how wrong I am to enjoy it).

Webcomic Site
Color; Adventure; Weekly

Example pages:

(These are in order of production from the beginning, near the middle, and a very recent page, so you can see how the art develops.)

From the About page:

quote:

Cloudscratcher is the story of a group of freedom fighters in their struggles against the Margoth Empire. Squaring off in a world high above the clouds, where people build their civilizations atop craggy mountains and lifeless plateaus, the crew of the Cloudscratcher--a motley crew of various heroes of great skill, all united by lives torn apart by the Empire's machinations--fight the seemingly endless fight for the future. It won't be an easy fight, however, as the Margoth Empire boasts superior numbers, advanced technology, and leaders that are as skilled as they are ruthless. And making matters worse, a terrifying new Emperor has taken control, and under his rule, the Empire has grown even stronger, and their goal of complete global domination seems to creep ever-closer...

Their struggles will take the Cloudscratcher crew all over the world, to places beyond the imagination! From towering mountaintop metropolises, to ancient ruins, to the dens of sky pirates, and even the harsh world below the clouds...! The deck may be stacked against them, but with their combined skills, a little luck, and a surprise ace in the hole, this small group of rebels may very well turn the tide in the world's favor! Of course, the crew's problems go beyond just the Empire; sky pirates, crime syndicates, mercenaries, thieves, you name it! No one said being the good guys was easy...!

So strap yourself in and get ready for a sky-high adventure aboard the Cloudscratcher!

From the FAQs:

quote:

Q: What was the inspiration for this comic?

A: Cloudscratcher was primarily inspired by the animated movies and TV shows of the 1990's, as well as the Crimson Skies game series. The overall style and feel of the comic is a love-letter to 90's animation, particularly Disney's animated TV shows, and the early animated films of Don Bluth. Also, I have a thing for high-flying dieselpunk settings...

Q: So when're we gonna see some blood and cussin'!?

A: The content of the comic is staying in the realm of the aforementioned animated programs. Language stays G-rated, blood gets shed only when necessary, and any harsh content will be kept to a minimum.

Q: Is this a furry comic?

A: No. Neither I, nor anyone associated with the comic have anything to do with the furry fandom. The anthropomorphic aesthetic is a stylistic choice, and nothing more.

Why do I like Cloudscratcher?

It's competently written and drawn in a clean (very amateur) way, and does some novel things with its setting, wearing its cartoon influences on its sleeve - TaleSpin meets One Piece meets Gundam. I find it captures the early 90s Saturday morning cartoon feel pretty perfectly. It raises unpleasant subjects of prejudice and war without ever going truly grimdark, and best of all for a talking cartoon animal webcomic, its horny level approaches zero. I personally am enjoying a mental popcorn comic that isn't self-aware genre snark or young adults going through Heavy Life Moments. The comic gets very little attention because the creator seems either completely disinterested in or completely unable to promote it and, well, horny level approaching zero.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Apr 19, 2020

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

I've always heard you'd never know the author's a raging alt-righter by reading his comic, but I've never been curious enough to find out.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I like the "I'm not a furry" thing. I saw that comic before, the art looked cute, like a more competent RHJunior (heh, another raging alt-righter).

But when I went to the site I started by looking at the cast and the info for the main characters was, to me, a big turnoff.

So cliché it's painful. Just painful.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Tbh it looks fine apart from the weird ITS FUNNY ANIMALS ACTUALLY energy that faq gives off. Reminds me of all those lakadaisy fans who took a while to come to terms with liking "furry" content because it was well done and good so it couldn't possibly be a furry thing?!

Am going to need elaboration on the author being Alt Right though, thats not something I can separate art and artist from even if its not present in the work.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

From the art alone, that's some strong "this is a story about my Sonic OC's" energy.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Mr Phillby posted:

Tbh it looks fine apart from the weird ITS FUNNY ANIMALS ACTUALLY energy that faq gives off. Reminds me of all those lakadaisy fans who took a while to come to terms with liking "furry" content because it was well done and good so it couldn't possibly be a furry thing?!

Am going to need elaboration on the author being Alt Right though, thats not something I can separate art and artist from even if its not present in the work.

the author seems to consider himself a anime journalist as well and decided that he really needed to get involved in the wrong side of the vic mignogna case

e: oh you can also just like. go to his twitter and look at it with your eyes i guess

fun hater fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 19, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this is looking like a fun candidate for the byob thread

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
God drat it, this should teach me to like things. I had no idea, I never thought to check the author's social media at all. And the comic subverts gender roles, and talks about racial and religious tolerance, and...sigh. Well, I'll leave the post up as a monument to my foolishness. Cripes, how embarrassing.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 19, 2020

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Discendo Vox posted:

I had no idea, I never thought to check the author's social media at all.

I only check authors' social media when website hasn't been updated in months not even with a notice about the hiatus, so as to see if they're still alive and have updates there or something.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Hopefully this goes better than the previous recommendation:

https://www.missingmondaycomic.com/

Missing Monday is a mystery/romance/adventure with fantasy elements (keeping it vague because it's hard to go into details with spoiling; also I suck at write-ups). The plot's interesting, the characters are engaging, and the romance is sweet, at least to me. The author's been putting up a weekly page more or less every Tuesday for the past nine years and gets about 5 comments on average, so if even one person here starts reading I'll consider it a win.

(Also her twitter is mostly art doodles and cat pictures, so probably an improvement over the last guy.)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

fun hater posted:

the author seems to consider himself a anime journalist as well and decided that he really needed to get involved in the wrong side of the vic mignogna case

e: oh you can also just like. go to his twitter and look at it with your eyes i guess

It really takes some brain genius thought to look at the Vic Minogna case and decide Vic is anywhere close to a good person or right.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Apraxin posted:

Hopefully this goes better than the previous recommendation:

https://www.missingmondaycomic.com/

Missing Monday is a mystery/romance/adventure with fantasy elements (keeping it vague because it's hard to go into details with spoiling; also I suck at write-ups). The plot's interesting, the characters are engaging, and the romance is sweet, at least to me. The author's been putting up a weekly page more or less every Tuesday for the past nine years and gets about 5 comments on average, so if even one person here starts reading I'll consider it a win.

(Also her twitter is mostly art doodles and cat pictures, so probably an improvement over the last guy.)

Two chapters in and this is really cute so far! Look forward to seeing where it goes.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Cat Mattress posted:

RHJunior (heh, another raging alt-righter).

Man, I was wondering if that guy was still going a few weeks ago. I remember being on another forum where someone linked his mostly innocuous raccoon fantasy comic and he showed up to rant about how there was only one true god and all the other religions across history were illusions and lies by deceivers.

e- Oh and I remember reading up to the point in the comic where you could tell the raccoon "urban youths" in gangs were bad because they were smoking the devil's weed and I couldn't stop laughing.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 19, 2020

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nuns with Guns posted:

Man, I was wondering if that guy was still going a few weeks ago. I remember being on another forum where someone linked his mostly innocuous raccoon fantasy comic and he showed up to rant about how there was only one true god and all the other religions across history were illusions and lies by deceivers.

Oh poo poo I used to read that guy’s comics before he became too insufferable even for dumbass 12 year old me.

He literally deleted a large chunk of one of them because it crossed over with another furry comic that was too open about premarital sex and somehow he hadn’t noticed, and retconned a second hugely because his original premise involved misunderstood Buddhist mysticism and he decided that wasn’t Christian enough.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mors Rattus posted:

Oh poo poo I used to read that guy’s comics before he became too insufferable even for dumbass 12 year old me.

He literally deleted a large chunk of one of them because it crossed over with another furry comic that was too open about premarital sex and somehow he hadn’t noticed, and retconned a second hugely because his original premise involved misunderstood Buddhist mysticism and he decided that wasn’t Christian enough.

He has a lot of hangups around that stuff, yeah. The raccoon comic had to have this involved justification for the raccoon people's magic and explain that it's not magic, simply something functionally identical with magic, and magic magic is a series of dark rituals practiced by ignorant pagans that don't produce actual magic effects.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
There are so many good potential tag lines for this as an avatar.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

There are so many good potential tag lines for this as an avatar.

My favourite is:

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

RHJunior posted:

The Moon is Rightfully America's

Or at least it was, by some of the oldest laws known to humanity--- Right of discovery and conquest. From the moment we first planted an American boot on Lunar soil.

Until our government essentially it away.

"Thief! Thief! The American wants to steal the Moon!" Oh shut up. First time ever that we land on territory that doesn't have natives to wring your hands over or trees to hug, and you're gonna squeal that we wanted to claim it? Typical. You won't let us claim an airless, lifeless rock out of sheer spite. So our milksop government folds like wet toast and makes some blithering proclamation about how the Moon "belongs to the nations of the world"--- despite it being American scientists, technology, and astronauts that made the trip possible. Thereby guaranteeing that nobody would EVER go back.

We should have told y'all to go pound sand. The usual crowd of French popcorn farts would have squealed about American Imperialism (over a BARREN AIRLESS ROCK no less), and Kennedy should have looked them in the eye and said "You want to stake a claim there? Come and get it." And given presidential orders for a permanent lunar military base. Wouldn't have to be much: just a little space hut occupied continually by one or two men.

Within the week every country on the planet that could screw a nut onto a bolt would be building a lunar colony rocket, just to spite us. We and every other country on the planet would have mining colonies on the Moon today, and we'd be halfway to settling Mars, if we had just treated the Lunar territory like every other territory on the planet: first come, first served.

Instead we gave it to the biggest collection of do-nothing weenies on Planet Earth--- the United Nations. And the Final Frontier died on the pagan altar of collectivism, at the hands of the Tragedy of the Commons.

We could still do it today. We SHOULD still do it today. The Space Race would take off the next day.

But of course not. That would be too CAPITALIST.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Y'know I heard about this guy once through TVTropes and never ended up looking into his webcomics and I continue to feel like I've dodged that bullet.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I read that entire rant in the voice of Andrew Ryan in my head. I suddenly get why this dude writes and draws alt-hits 1930s air piracy comics that’s basically TaleSpin but shittier.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 19, 2020

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

nine-gear crow posted:

I read that entire rant in the voice of Andrew Ryan in my head. I suddenly get why this dude writes and draws alt-hits 1930s air piracy comics that’s basically TaleSpin but shittier.

My name is Andrew Ryan, and I'm here to ask you a question.

IS AMERICA NOT ENTITLED TO POSSESS THE MOON?

NO
, says the United Nations, it belongs to everyone.

I rejected that answer...

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

nine-gear crow posted:

that's RH Junior's rant, not the guy who makes the TaleSpin-esque comic

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

that's RH Junior's rant, not the guy who makes the TaleSpin-esque comic

I see. I appear to have conflated the last two pages worth of bad webcomic creators/web comic creators who are bad.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Incidentally, RH Junior also did a giant weirdass "crossover" with Schlock Mercenary in one of his comics about the koala AI declaring that the universe is too improbable to exist without God as the finale of slowly driving himself nuts trying to force himself to not believe this.

And by crossover I mean he wrote and drew the entire thing and the Schlock Mercenary guy didn't tell him to take it down.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Mors Rattus posted:

Incidentally, RH Junior also did a giant weirdass "crossover" with Schlock Mercenary in one of his comics about the koala AI declaring that the universe is too improbable to exist without God as the finale of slowly driving himself nuts trying to force himself to not believe this.

And by crossover I mean he wrote and drew the entire thing and the Schlock Mercenary guy didn't tell him to take it down.

Do we know if Howard knows about it?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I just went through my RSS feed and didn't find anything that's either extremely well known and/or I wasn't recommended by this thread.

e: Though of what's been recommended on here, The Sword Interval is DOPE AS HELL. What was the name of the author's other, completed, comic?

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 20, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

Do we know if Howard knows about it?

I'm guessing no, because Howard seems like he's a very non-crazy, non-rear end in a top hat, non-right wing dude who'd probably be appalled by poo poo like that if he knew. For example, Larry Correia used to be a recurring guest on Howard's writing podcast with Brandon Sanderson, Dan Wells, and Mary Robinette Kowal, and ever since Correia outed himself as an alt-right nutbag he's curiously never been back on Writing Excuses :thunk:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 20, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm guessing no, because Howard seems like he's a very non-crazy, non-rear end in a top hat, non-right wing dude who'd probably be appalled by poo poo like that if he knew. For example, Larry Correia used to be a recurring guest on Howard's writing podcast with Brandon Sanderson, Dan Wells, and Mary Robinette Kowal, and ever since Correia outed himself as an alt-right nutbag he's curiously never been back on Writing Excuses :thunk:

Having read the first Monster Hunters book, I can't say I'm shocked. It's all about a big buff dude who's ugly but still wins over the hot girl who's a good shot (but not as good as he is) from her boyfriend whose only real crime is not being the main character. The government's stupid but they pay private contractors who have their own compound and military spec weaponry. It just goes on.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

habeasdorkus posted:

e: Though of what's been recommended on here, The Sword Interval is DOPE AS HELL. What was the name of the author's other, completed, comic?

It's not completed but his other comic is called derelict. If I remember correctly they stopped updating derelict because they are actually making money doing the sword interval, which is fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ebola Dog posted:

It's not completed but his other comic is called derelict. If I remember correctly they stopped updating derelict because they are actually making money doing the sword interval, which is fair enough.

Derelict is hauntingly beautiful and very good, but it took seemingly forever to figure out what it wanted to be and say, and then sadly disintegrated shortly after it made up its mind. I really hope Ben gets back to it one day, or can at least figure out how to get it going and making money the same way that Sword Interval is for him now too.