Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
grifters gonna grift, suckers gonna suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/jblachowski/status/1251567215293464581?s=20

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It won't until covid effects all of their lives personally. People like that are very much ones that need proof on a personal scale before they realize they've been acting like clowns. If they even learn from that.

See also: evangelical preachers

That would be the aforementioned self-correction.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Maybe we shouldn't kink shame.

These rallies really are just an extension of poz my neg (breathing) hole

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Poz my nasal

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Ill-will towards people wanting to assist the spread of an ongoing pandemic is not the same as making threats, please stop reporting posters doing the former.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lol chiche

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

With all these people unemployed, the unemployment system unable to keep up, and the bailout primarily targeted at yet again transferring weath into the hands of those that already have it in spades, demand for food banks and soup kitchens is at unprecedented levels. it sure would be good to get food into the hands of people that need it...

Eej posted:

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1250728138327261185?s=19

Hey this time they can't actually say the milk can't be pasteurized on time!

:negative:

maffew buildings posted:

If only there were people who needed food and a sort of structure, a government that can coordinate with state and local governments and maybe departments that oversee agriculture, to ensure that those crops were being used to feed people and pay the farmers for them.

A Bad Poster posted:

Look at you, thinking that it's the government's job to take care of its citizens.

This is it. I think I've hit my crack ping. Trump waffling between "i have the power to decide" to "i give the states the power to decide" to tweeting LIBERATE THESE PLACES while hicks protest and put themselves and those around them at risk. gently caress it all.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 18, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Welcome to "ice cream for any meal of the day" state of mind.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Arrath posted:

This is it. I think I've hit my crack ping. Trump waffling between "i have the power to decide" to "i give the states the power to decide" to tweeting LIBERATE THESE PLACES while hicks protest and put themselves and those around them at risk. gently caress it all.

For what it's worth, he's doing the same thing he has always done when he doesn't know what the gently caress to do. He takes both sides of an issue, at different times, then when the event resolves, he was always right and people heard what they wanted to hear.

Good luck doing that with piles of bodies, tons of commercials with the videos running 24/7, and a likely second/third outbreak around election time.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

EBB posted:

Sure, went great, they just have these piddly bolt-actions, how hard could it be?

Thousands of them had Thompson submachine guns we’d sent to the Nationalists. Sometimes still being wielded by former Nationalists involuntarily drafted into the red army.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It won't until covid effects all of their lives personally. People like that are very much ones that need proof on a personal scale before they realize they've been acting like clowns. If they even learn from that.

See also: evangelical preachers

they wont. the entire basis of the conservative identity is that being wrong = losing

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

For what it's worth, he's doing the same thing he has always done when he doesn't know what the gently caress to do.

Sure, but this should be on a different scale entirely to some of trumps other gently caress ups. I just can't even wrap my head around this.

facialimpediment posted:

Good luck doing that with piles of bodies, tons of commercials with the videos running 24/7, and a likely second/third outbreak around election time.

Maybe that'll make a difference, but it'll still be a whole bunch of widespread suffering that could have and should have been avoided. When we (if we aren't already I haven't been keeping up on the figures) get to the point of daily death tolls rivaling or surpassing 9/11, every day, do you think anyone will give a poo poo? Will there eventually be a Coronavirus Commission? Will these fuckwits be thrown into prison for criminal mismanagement of emergency response on a scale unfathomable a few years ago? :sigh:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arrath posted:

Sure, but this should be on a different scale entirely to some of trumps other gently caress ups. I just can't even wrap my head around this.

Maybe that'll make a difference, but it'll still be a whole bunch of widespread suffering that could have and should have been avoided. When we (if we aren't already I haven't been keeping up on the figures) get to the point of daily death tolls rivaling or surpassing 9/11, every day, do you think anyone will give a poo poo? Will there eventually be a Coronavirus Commission? Will these fuckwits be thrown into prison for criminal mismanagement of emergency response on a scale unfathomable a few years ago? :sigh:

lol nope

Nobody gives a gently caress.

America is incapable of learning since the turn of the century, it’s all about championing your beliefs now.

I believe I’ll have another cup of coffee.

:munch:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Arrath posted:

We didn't do any of this for when Bush kicked off Afghanistan or Iraq so I don't know why we would do it now. We impeached Trump already for being mean to Joe Biden's son.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

facialimpediment posted:

For what it's worth, he's doing the same thing he has always done when he doesn't know what the gently caress to do. He takes both sides of an issue, at different times, then when the event resolves, he was always right and people heard what they wanted to hear.

I don't understand how anyone who watched Hurricane Maria unfold doesn't already know exactly how all of this is gonna play out.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Ah in answer to the tweet I posted

USDA to try 'out of the box' solution to get food from farmers to food banks

quote:

The Trump administration will spend $19 billion on a relief program for farmers struggling during the novel coronavirus pandemic, including a new approach to send billions of dollars of agricultural products to food banks and other organizations around the country.

“Our farmers, ranchers, we have, these are great people. Great Americans. Never complain. They never complain. They just do what they have to do. The program will include direct payments to farmers as well as mass purchases of dairy, meat and agricultural produce, to get that food to the people in need,” President Donald Trump said at Friday night’s briefing.

Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue said $16 billion of the program would be in direct payments to farmers who have experienced losses during the pandemic and will spend $3 billion to buy agricultural products. The program will begin by purchasing $100 million a month each in fresh fruits and vegetables, dairy products, and meat products.

“Having to dump milk or plow under vegetables ready to market is not only financially distressing, but it's heartbreaking as well to those who produce them. This program will not only provide direct financial relief to our farmers and ranchers. Mr. President, it will allow for the purchase and distribution of our agricultural abundance in this country to help our fellow Americans in need,” Perdue said.

“In recent weeks, we’ve seen, all of us have seen the heroic patriotism of our food supply chain workers that have shown day in and day out, doing the work to serve the needs of fellow Americans,” he said.

Perdue said the plan includes an “out of the box” solution to some of the disruptions in the supply chain by using commercial distributors like Cisco to package bulk products into a “pre-approved box” of dairy, meat and produce products. He said the approach hopes to use those companies’ employees to help take some of the workload from food banks that report they are short on volunteers to help with the incredible demand.

“If you don't mind the pun, this is an out of the box example of what we're trying to do. It is new and different. We've never done this before but in realigning the supply. Much of the conversation you've heard about milk dumping has been to do with the dual processing system we have in this country,” he told reporters on a call Friday night.

He did not directly answer if this was a version of the Harvest Box program the department has proposed in previous budgets, to significant scrutiny from lawmakers, advocates, and food bank operators, and if that will slow down the process.

Sen. John Hoeven, chairman of the Senate Ag Appropriations Committee, released more details on the breakdown of direct payments to farmers. He says payments will account for 85% of farmers and ranchers’ losses between Jan. 1 and April 15, 2020. Perdue said they are pushing to have those relief checks out by the end of May.

“We’re grateful to President Trump and Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue for working together to come to the aid of America’s farmers and ranchers. The coronavirus pandemic forced the closing of restaurants, schools and college cafeterias, causing commodity prices to fall off a cliff and serious disruptions to food supply chains," Duvall said in a statement. "This $16 billion in aid will help keep food on Americans’ tables by providing a lifeline to farm families that were already hit by trade wars and severe weather.

“Farmers and ranchers proudly accept the responsibility of feeding this nation and it's heartbreaking to be forced to dispose of milk and plow under crops of fresh food at a time when others are going hungry. We also appreciate the additional funding from other sources to help deliver food from farms to food banks," he continued. “We look forward to additional details about how the aid will be distributed.”

The nation's largest operator of food banks, Feeding America, also applauded the announcement. Along with the Farm Bureau, the groups have asked the USDA to consider ways to get food directly from farmers to food banks more quickly and expand SNAP benefits to Americans so they can buy food from local retailers. SNAP programs provide nine meals for every one donation provided to a food bank.

“We are still examining the details, but this effort has the potential to be a significant food resource for people facing hunger," Claire Babineaux-Fontenot, CEO of Feeding America, said. "This program is designed to ensure nutritious food from growers and producers makes it on to the tables of our neighbors now when they need it most. We look forward to working closely with USDA on how to most efficiently operationalize the plan in the coming days.”

USDA has taken a number of other actions to expand food assistance including the Pandemic EBT program that provides cash assistance to families, allowing states to operate disaster school lunch programs to distribute meals to families outside of the school setting, and expanding the number of states where SNAP recipients can use their benefits to buy food online.

I'm sure there's some ridiculous grift in here somewhere

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
A program without grift is just a handout.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Grift for days but this is still one of the most sensible proposals I've seen from the trump administration basically ever, assuming they mean Sysco and not Cisco as quoted in the article...

aww poo poo :negative:

e: but seriously it makes sense, Sysco and US Foodservice have massive logistics chains to supply practically every restaurant in the US and equally massive slack capacity at present. It's just a refocusing of what these companies already do unlike trying to convert an automotive finally assembly plant to do anything else at all

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 18, 2020

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

quote:

“Our farmers, ranchers, we have, these are great people. Great Americans. Never complain. They never complain.

lol

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Eej posted:

Ah in answer to the tweet I posted

USDA to try 'out of the box' solution to get food from farmers to food banks

I'm sure there's some ridiculous grift in here somewhere

A cattle ranching group I follow is absolutely livid at Sonny Perdue about this, which is a little surprising. The position is that there aren't shortages of livestock, but that the large corporate-run packing plants are slowed or shuttered, and were already unwilling to pay for domestically-raised beef (relying on imports from South America).

Generally you can image that a rural, small business owner, industrial demographic would skew towards conservative politics, and they have previously been happy to support Trup. But Sonny Perdue is not Turp, and to them, the USDA is a prime example of government meddling. So they're mad that the environment they're operating in isn't playing nice. They have a cynical expectation that USDA will give the large packing companies money to make it easier to import foreign beef, and the only market for their product will have prices heavily depressed by corporate and government collusion.

These are farmers/ranchers who take huge risks for slim margins every year. To avoid colossal failure, they have to be shrewd, be conservative with risk, and always have plans for years into a future where a pandemic or even a plain drought can wipe out any profit. Narrative like that of "cities being full of unemployed people living on government handouts using their hard-clawed tax dollars" is a powerful trigger to that kind of existential stress.

They're so close to being angry at the people who can influence an administrative decision to make a quarter-percent change on a very large number in their favor. But then they don't escape peer pressure; some loud, noisy rear end in a top hat declares that the blowhard no-nonsense orange menace he saw on TV is going to fix things. And that's mostly that.

So, they're going to reopen some packing plants. Maybe with less inspectors because of the 'rona. If the workers at the plant get sick, that's the corporations' business. When that sickness spreads through the small town, it's because it was "brought there." We can't afford to have empathy at these prices.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Lake of Methane posted:

A cattle ranching group I follow is absolutely livid at Sonny Perdue about this, which is a little surprising. The position is that there aren't shortages of livestock, but that the large corporate-run packing plants are slowed or shuttered, and were already unwilling to pay for domestically-raised beef (relying on imports from South America).

Generally you can image that a rural, small business owner, industrial demographic would skew towards conservative politics, and they have previously been happy to support Trup. But Sonny Perdue is not Turp, and to them, the USDA is a prime example of government meddling. So they're mad that the environment they're operating in isn't playing nice. They have a cynical expectation that USDA will give the large packing companies money to make it easier to import foreign beef, and the only market for their product will have prices heavily depressed by corporate and government collusion.

These are farmers/ranchers who take huge risks for slim margins every year. To avoid colossal failure, they have to be shrewd, be conservative with risk, and always have plans for years into a future where a pandemic or even a plain drought can wipe out any profit. Narrative like that of "cities being full of unemployed people living on government handouts using their hard-clawed tax dollars" is a powerful trigger to that kind of existential stress.

They're so close to being angry at the people who can influence an administrative decision to make a quarter-percent change on a very large number in their favor. But then they don't escape peer pressure; some loud, noisy rear end in a top hat declares that the blowhard no-nonsense orange menace he saw on TV is going to fix things. And that's mostly that.

So, they're going to reopen some packing plants. Maybe with less inspectors because of the 'rona. If the workers at the plant get sick, that's the corporations' business. When that sickness spreads through the small town, it's because it was "brought there." We can't afford to have empathy at these prices.

Our local meat packing plant is directly responsible for at least 3 coronavirus deaths and over 700 confirmed cases among employees.

Also I think part of the anger about that program is that it means farmers won't get as much insruance money for their unsold crops.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/adamwren/status/1251650842765246467?s=19

Local guy here is really great

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

That Works posted:

Lol chiche

Is the mall cop snitching on people at the auntie Anne's again?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

That's fantastic

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

BurningChrome posted:

Seemed that way

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Seems like gobbledygook to me but isn't that like a Conflict or is Conflict fake like all other laws nowadays

https://twitter.com/SamSacks/status/1251562465961414657

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

not caring here posted:

Maybe we shouldn't kink shame.

These rallies really are just an extension of poz my neg (breathing) hole

Ugh, gently caress you for reminding me that this is a thing. :argh:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

BurningChrome posted:

That Works posted:

Seemed that way

Absolutely.

My interpretation of the events in QCS were that not only are implicit and explicit threats permabannable, but wishing death upon people was not ok in the forum as well- though not carrying a guaranteed perma.

If McNally thinks it is acceptable to make posts hoping people die, then that's cool. I wouldn't mind some guidelines for what constitutes:

McNally posted:

Ill-will towards people

, so that it doesn't result in bullshit probes though.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Chichevache posted:

Absolutely.

My interpretation of the events in QCS were that not only are implicit and explicit threats permabannable, but wishing death upon people was not ok in the forum as well- though not carrying a guaranteed perma.

If McNally thinks it is acceptable to make posts hoping people die, then that's cool. I wouldn't mind some guidelines for what constitutes:

, so that it doesn't result in bullshit probes though.

I'm not particularly of a mind to spell out explicitly what is and is not okay.

I'm going to go forward using my discretion and best judgement, but there's a very wide gulf between "I hope (politician) gets the 'rona" and "I hope these people who are doing everything they can to ensure that the pandemic continues indefinitely get the virus they're exposing themselves to."

If that's a problem for you then I recommend posting elsewhere.

McNally fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 19, 2020

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

McNally posted:

I'm not particularly of a mind to spell out explicitly what is and is not okay.

I'm going to go forward using my discretion and best judgement, but there's a very wide gulf between "I hope (politician) gets the 'rona" and "I hope these people who are doing everything they can to ensure that the pandemic continues indefinitely get the virus they're exposing themselves to."

If that's a problem for you then I recommend posting elsewhere.

Except it wasn't just "I hope these people get corona". I'll continue this with you on PMs.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Chichevache posted:

Except it wasn't just "I hope these people get corona". I'll continue this with you on PMs.

I'm not particularly interested in continuing this with you. And that I really have to go out of my way to say "I hope these people who are actively attempting to indefinitely continue the pandemic have bad things happen to them" is also very different from wishing specific harm on specific individuals underscores my lack of interest in engaging with you on this subject.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

BurningChrome posted:

Reporting a post saying we should be spraying protestors with chemicals is hardly snitching. Turn off av's if you read that much personal anger into individuals

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

M_Gargantua posted:

Reporting a post saying we should be spraying protestors with chemicals is hardly snitching.

This exactly.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Now its also important to note that this country has a troublesome history firehosing protesters. But in this instance I'm ok with giving it another shot

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

M_Gargantua posted:

Now its also important to note that this country has a troublesome history firehosing protesters. But in this instance I'm ok with giving it another shot

We only do that to the others

Not good god fearing white christians

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

M_Gargantua posted:

Reporting a post saying we should be spraying protestors with chemicals is hardly snitching. Turn off av's if you read that much personal anger into individuals

Okay, yeah, that one was hosed up. Hate to say it, but I forgot about it while dealing with other things. Hang on.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

M_Gargantua posted:

I'd definitely show up for work that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

The thing that really strikes me of these various #liberate protests is how I guaran-loving-tee you that none of the participants have experienced state repression at any point in their lives. I can’t help but think of these dweebs open carrying their ARs (why exactly?) and juxtaposing that with SWAT cops in multicam pointing their rifles at BLM protesters in Ferguson.