Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's a better set but I'd still rather have the A Wing.

I just want to build Barracuda Bay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Those rear fins with all those studs on that A-Wing is the perfect example of why we need tile wedges/wings

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nah. Some studs are good. If it's totally studless why does it even need to be Lego? The A wing and most of the recent UCS have a near perfect balance of studs/tiles/greebles imo.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I think having tile wedges would be good, especially for the A-Wing which really doesn't even have any greebling in Star Wars, it's smooth as hell.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not opposed to the part existing, I'd probably like it, but I think that A wing has a really nice looking balance of studs. I don't think any more need to be hidden.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

veni veni veni posted:

Nah. Some studs are good. If it's totally studless why does it even need to be Lego?

This is what bugged me the most about the Harley set. Complete, it looked too much like an off-the-shelf toy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Imho the perfect "model" style Lego set should make you see it from across the room and say "cool model", take a few steps further and say "oh is that Lego?" then get up close and say "woah what a cool lego set"

Not walk right up to it and say "Oh.that's Lego?"

just my opinion though.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Nah. Some studs are good. If it's totally studless why does it even need to be Lego?

Totally agree, leave studless for Technic.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

veni veni veni posted:

Imho the perfect "model" style Lego set should make you see it from across the room and say "cool model", take a few steps further and say "oh is that Lego?" then get up close and say "woah what a cool lego set"

Not walk right up to it and say "Oh.that's Lego?"

just my opinion though.

This is the 89 batmobile in a nutshell

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Studless builds are a mark of mastery, maybe that's unreasonable or unfair but that's how the lego community has evolved. Being able to work basic bricks into something that is smooth or has perfect curves takes a lot of experience and problem solving.

I wouldn't claim that this means it's mandatory that UCS be studless but given how they're marketed as the best ever version of a lego product it's a reasonable feature to request.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I think for brand identity purposes, sets will pretty much always have SOME exposed studs, and that's fine. But I appreciate totally studless builds, too. The "why even bother with LEGO" argument makes no sense to me, either - the point of building something out of LEGO is more about the process to me, to work within a particular set of constraints to create something amazing. Just because you've successfully hidden the studs doesn't take away from any part of that process or make it any less LEGO.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's a disparity between what AFOLs like and official Lego policy. Lego likes studs and having studs visible gives the set a mark that it is Lego. AFOLs like to hide studs because they think it's cool to make something look like the real thing with the limited pieces Lego has.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
You know what I really do like about the A-Wing? It isn’t 1000 pieces of greebling.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I like studs tbh

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

xzzy posted:

Studless builds are a mark of mastery, maybe that's unreasonable or unfair but that's how the lego community has evolved. Being able to work basic bricks into something that is smooth or has perfect curves takes a lot of experience and problem solving.

My 80000 piece MOC has zero visible studs :smug:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ST_phys_bot/status/1251135729624731649?s=20

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I made one of those too

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Carbohydrates posted:

I think for brand identity purposes, sets will pretty much always have SOME exposed studs, and that's fine. But I appreciate totally studless builds, too. The "why even bother with LEGO" argument makes no sense to me, either - the point of building something out of LEGO is more about the process to me, to work within a particular set of constraints to create something amazing. Just because you've successfully hidden the studs doesn't take away from any part of that process or make it any less LEGO.

I meant in regards to official sets. I'll build stuff myself that is studless or near studless as well fairly often. I don't think the same rules apply to MOC's, not that there are any real "rules" to begin with. But if I am buying some large set like that, I want it to look accurate, have the right curves etc. But also want it to be identifiable as Lego because I could honestly just go and buy a non-Lego model/toy of an A Wing or Batmobile that is more accurate looking for a fraction of the price.

The UCS Snowspeeder is a very stud heavy build. You could easily cover most of them up/swap them with tiles but TBH I just think doing that would take away from the set's personality. The balance of studs and smooth surfaces feels very deliberate. To me this is pretty much the perfect Lego UCS approach.

Alternately, you have something like the Batmobile or A Wing which are very curvy designs, so they are naturally going to be nearly studless, so I think it's good Lego leaves some exposed studs on what flat surfaces there actually are on those sets.

On the other hand, a lot of the older UCS sets made little to no attempt to hide studs, which left some of them feeling like they lacked texture. Like the AT-ST would probably look a lot better with $2 worth of plates added to make the surfaces pop more.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:wth: I guess of the top thing is being held up by the middle string, the weight of which is pulling the other two up? I get in principle how it works but it definitely has "impossible machine" vibes. Very cool

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

:wth: I guess of the top thing is being held up by the middle string, the weight of which is pulling the other two up? I get in principle how it works but it definitely has "impossible machine" vibes. Very cool

The top part is hanging from the string in the middle, and the strings at the corner keep it from tilting. String in the front pulls it forward to keep it from tilting backwards, etc.

You can build them rather large and stable. I'm working on a wood and rope one for my parents once lockdowns are over. Will go nicely at their camper.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
They work as a novelty, but they’re no good as an actual table. Press on the wrong place and the whole thing collapses.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I'm thinking one could build a really cool "floating city" in microscale using that as a technique for the base :2bong:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

They work as a novelty, but they’re no good as an actual table. Press on the wrong place and the whole thing collapses.

A large one from heavy timbers would be excellent for injuring children. And how could they resist?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I'm thinking one could build a really cool "floating city" in microscale using that as a technique for the base :2bong:

That's a cool idea. Is there a name for these "things" to make googling easier other than floating string platform?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a tensegrity table.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
JK Brickworks posted a tutorial for a simple and good looking one, using lego chains.

https://youtu.be/6xbnrEqMr5Y

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This is what bugged me the most about the Harley set. Complete, it looked too much like an off-the-shelf toy.
nah, the harley set is fantastic both in build and final look.

another set that looks so drat good finished is the Caterham.

almost entirely studless in the end except for a few on the seats and such. and it works so well.

The snowspeeder above is a great example of something done with lots of studs exposed nicely.

in conclusion, lego sets are a land of contrasts,

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I just finished up the ISS. Overall an enjoyable build, although the Saturn V is still my favorite.

Here's my "NASA Lego" area in my basement that I'm working on finishing up.

Unfortunately that's probably it until they release another set, the mars rover is way too expensive on Ebay.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

AFewBricksShy posted:

I just finished up the ISS. Overall an enjoyable build, although the Saturn V is still my favorite.

Here's my "NASA Lego" area in my basement that I'm working on finishing up.

Unfortunately that's probably it until they release another set, the mars rover is way too expensive on Ebay.

Do what I did: buy the pieces on bricklink. Decide if you wanna drop :10bux: each on the one pair of parts that were only in a couple of sets ever. But they're worth it.

I dropped maybe $110 on the whole thing by insisting on new parts.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

AFewBricksShy posted:

I just bought the parts for it on bricklink for $50 shipped from four stores, thanks to this thread! (edit: beaten, but I also insisted on new parts.)

Also, tell me about that launch tower for the Saturn V...

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
My family took pity on me in lockdown and bought me the Tantive IV as a late birthday present and I just finished it while watching Rogue One and I have thoughts

1. Rogue One is much better than it was given credit for at the time, although admittedly that's probably partly because everything that came after it was varying degrees of pointless to poo poo

2. It's an enjoyable build by big Star Wars ship standards with lots of interesting techniques and little repetition and the final model has an enjoyable heft to it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Rogue One was the best modern star wars movie.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Luceo posted:

I just bought the parts for it on bricklink for $50 shipped from four stores, thanks to this thread! (edit: beaten, but I also insisted on new parts.)

Also, tell me about that launch tower for the Saturn V...

That set plus additional pieces to raise the gantry up another few levels and widen the base platform. (From bricklink)
I really would have rather built that massive one that someone made but this was the cheaper way of doing it.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 19, 2020

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The Force Awakens is the best Star War period, fight me

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
:swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9u-Ae29uNk

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
That's pretty cool! Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind seeing Star Wars vehicles in Space Police II, Blacktron II or Ice Planet color configurations. I'm sure someone has made this crossover happen already

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pretty sure there's a photo out there somewhere of the millenium falcon in all the various space lego color themes.

This one is only ice planet and m-tron but I think there was more out there somewhere:

https://imgur.com/gallery/4WecC

Check his post history for lots of other color swaps: https://www.reddit.com/user/fendel_/posts

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

That’s what inspired me to add a little more color to my Y-wing

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

These own, but man I forgot how much the ARC-170 owned and I’d kill for a UCS version of that instead of the Gunship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

That's pretty cool! Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind seeing Star Wars vehicles in Space Police II, Blacktron II or Ice Planet color configurations. I'm sure someone has made this crossover happen already

There's plenty out there already, eg: