Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Ploft-shell crab posted:

any of y’all tenants trying to get you to run a god dang “service mesh”? idk what real problems these things are trying to solve, I think they’re just inventing stuff for themselves to do

load balancing and canaries. basically, threading a single end user request back through a load balancer 10 times because of microservices is obviously horrible. service mesh isn’t obviously horrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

istio is for when kube doesn't have enough moving parts for your taste

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

istio specifically is google trying to regain control over (some aspect of) k8s regardless of whether the functionality even makes sense at that layer

also the istio code is a mass of spaghetti. for example all external-dns 32 bit builds panic after running several minutes because they import some istio client library, which launches static background timer threads when the client module itself is imported (as opposed to when it’s actually inited/used), which then eventually crash after several minutes due to unaligned atomics in some istio base library

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 12, 2020

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Nomnom Cookie posted:

load balancing and canaries. basically, threading a single end user request back through a load balancer 10 times because of microservices is obviously horrible. service mesh isn’t obviously horrible

well it definitely seems like more of the former! love too pass all dataplane traffic through userspace

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Progressive JPEG posted:

istio specifically is google trying to regain control over (some aspect of) k8s regardless of whether the functionality even makes sense at that layer

also the istio code is a mass of spaghetti. for example all external-dns 32 bit builds panic after running several minutes because they import some istio client library, which launches static background timer threads when the client module itself is imported (as opposed to when it’s actually inited/used), which then eventually crash after several minutes due to unaligned atomics in some istio base library

welp thanks for turning me off to istio

agreed that service meshes are smarter than dealing with a mess of load balancers etc but dang. consul connect looks interesting but i no longer use many hashicorp products in infrastructure outside of terraform.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
istio is a stillsuit your app can wear that protects it from the dry and hostile environment of kubernetes

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Ploft-shell crab posted:

any of y’all tenants trying to get you to run a god dang “service mesh”? idk what real problems these things are trying to solve, I think they’re just inventing stuff for themselves to do

worse, i work for a company that PRODUCES a service mesh

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

service meshes are for when you've given up on your developers giving a gently caress about monitoring, reliability or observability

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

the talent deficit posted:

service meshes are for when you've given up on your developers giving a gently caress about monitoring, reliability or observability

sup :clint:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

its something the platform team can roll out to improve poo poo across the board without messing with product teams. so like yes you're right but also this is how we want it i guess

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
my wacky local ISP double-NATs me but will sell me a public IPv4 address for $5/mo.

when I asked to just get an IPv6 allocation they told me that they aren't there yet, but I could save money and get a NordVPN account for $3/mo.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Jimmy Carter posted:

my wacky local ISP double-NATs me but will sell me a public IPv4 address for $5/mo.

when I asked to just get an IPv6 allocation they told me that they aren't there yet, but I could save money and get a NordVPN account for $3/mo.

More like IPv6000 years to implement!!

We had a full ipv6 dual stack deployment at a relatively large place and it legitimately didn't cause many issues and any they did were purely server/client implementation related. Why an ISP wouldn't already provide it I have nfi.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

me when i hear customers ask "can't we just log the whole request body cause otherwise we won't be able to figure out what went wrong with our apps"

if the only way you can figure out what went wrong in upstream applications is logging the full request body to try and reconstruct the problem, you have bigger problems than this will solve

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Nomnom Cookie posted:

its something the platform team can roll out to improve poo poo across the board without messing with product teams. so like yes you're right but also this is how we want it i guess

i mean i get it but it's like installing inflatable bumpers along roadsides because drivers keep driving off the road. it's a terrible solution to a terrible problem that has a much simpler solution (ban cars/microservices)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i would simply intentionally design systems instead of cobble together whatever shits laying around or sounds interesting until something resembling a usable outcome occurs

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

akadajet posted:

We're on Azure

lmao. my goondolensces

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i mean i get it but it's like installing inflatable bumpers along roadsides because drivers keep driving off the road. it's a terrible solution to a terrible problem that has a much simpler solution (ban cars/microservices)

as a result of breaking a bunch of services out from a big ol monolith, our half-dozen or so product teams can deploy independently, and more importantly can rollback independently. rolling out linkerd so we can do canaries between the services is treating a self-inflicted wound, but pulling everything back into a single process would be even worse. if you have a Third Way architecture the resolves all these issues, please do share it and I will be happy to present it as my own at work and collect the kudos for solving a pretty significant problem we're facing

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bloody posted:

i would simply intentionally design systems instead of cobble together whatever shits laying around or sounds interesting until something resembling a usable outcome occurs

sir this is a wendies drive through

Jbz
Jun 6, 2011

i am going to destroy a cisco 4510 with a car battery tomorrow, im going to smash it to pieces with my coworker in a parking lot and none of you can stop me

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

abigserve posted:

We had a full ipv6 dual stack deployment at a relatively large place and it legitimately didn't cause many issues and any they did were purely server/client implementation related. Why an ISP wouldn't already provide it I have nfi.

I should mention my provider employs 8 people, and when I called and asked for Tech Support I got their lead network engineer's cellphone and they had zero problems with me re-doing the punchdowns on the patch panel in my unit.

It's honestly refreshing when your ISP's customer service strategy is 'game recognize game'.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Jbz posted:

i am going to destroy a cisco 4510 with a car battery tomorrow, im going to smash it to pieces with my coworker in a parking lot and none of you can stop me

good

Jbz
Jun 6, 2011

I did not destroy the switch, instead it was simply Fixed when I returned to work.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
google charging per gke cluster now https://cloud.google.com/kubernetes-engine/pricing

gillette boss: these razors are selling like hotcakes, we'd be idiots not to raise the price!

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
well more like, idk, harrys

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
hate to be a conspiracy dork but i really get the impression that google is trying to kill GCP

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

suffix posted:

google charging per gke cluster now https://cloud.google.com/kubernetes-engine/pricing

gillette boss: these razors are selling like hotcakes, we'd be idiots not to raise the price!

lol

what are you doing that this matters. $75/cluster/mo is basically nothing in any sane k8s deployment scenario

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

psiox posted:

hate to be a conspiracy dork but i really get the impression that google is trying to kill GCP

well yeah after a few years of a google product existing, googlers stop finding ways to use it to get promoted

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Nomnom Cookie posted:

lol

what are you doing that this matters. $75/cluster/mo is basically nothing in any sane k8s deployment scenario

we use it primarily to test and develop k8s tooling in a realistic environment, so it's just 3 workers and the extra cost is significant for that

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
while the per-hour cost isn't that crazy, i thought that anybody using kubernetes is actually running N^2 kubernetes cluster instances to test that their poo poo won't break

every day it feels like it's just the new openstack

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

psiox posted:

while the per-hour cost isn't that crazy, i thought that anybody using kubernetes is actually running N^2 kubernetes cluster instances to test that their poo poo won't break

every day it feels like it's just the new openstack

we’re running 6 clusters, but the EKS fees on 36 clusters would still be less than 5% of our overall spend. still at the “this is not what bankrupts us” level

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

we use it primarily to test and develop k8s tooling in a realistic environment, so it's just 3 workers and the extra cost is significant for that

I’m not sure how you get from “large number of tiny clusters” to “our testing is happening in a realistic environment”. I assume you have a large number of clusters, anyway, because otherwise why gaf

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

abigserve posted:

a bunch of stuff didn't support SLAAC+DHCPv6 PD for ages or required new hardware
also on the cisco 9k agg platform doing dual stack halves your qos queue capacity as each protocol uses a queue slot
also old network engineers refusing to learn new things

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

my stepdads beer posted:

a bunch of stuff didn't support SLAAC+DHCPv6 PD for ages or required new hardware
also on the cisco 9k agg platform doing dual stack halves your qos queue capacity as each protocol uses a queue slot
also old network engineers refusing to learn new things

also implementing IPv6 provides zero new revenue so it's the lowest possible priority even if it is possible. now that the alternative is CGNAT it sort of has a business case but most ISPs still don't GAF.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

whats a good san I can put cheap consumer ssds in

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

a garbage can

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

my rear end

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
fill a small nas with 'em. I assume for home use, you can get a mini-itx case with like 8 drive slots (at least, there's probably even bigger ones)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

idk why youd want to build a home nas with ssds when 5400 rpm spinners are perfectly cromulent for serving your plex media

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

abigserve posted:

fill a small nas with 'em. I assume for home use, you can get a mini-itx case with like 8 drive slots (at least, there's probably even bigger ones)

just a thought exercise to see how cheap it could be vs a HPE MSA or whatever

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

So per hour charging should be ideal? Test on some garbage VM then when hitting final round of QA spin up a prod instance and shutdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

abigserve posted:

With SSDs you can just leave 'em banging around loose inside the case :q: The absolute cheapest option would be whatever PC you have + a Dell PERC H310 (or some other raid card that has or can be flashed to JBOD mode) + a rat's nest of SSDs