Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
That's awesome and I'm jealous. I wish my dad was into riding when I was a kid and maybe we would have had that on our property. He tried, I had a Honda spree scooter, then eventually a trail 70. I wish I still had the trail 70, that would be perfect in my yard right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Verman posted:

That's awesome and I'm jealous. I wish my dad was into riding when I was a kid and maybe we would have had that on our property. He tried, I had a Honda spree scooter, then eventually a trail 70. I wish I still had the trail 70, that would be perfect in my yard right now.

I lived in apartments and condos growing up so I never had anything like this. I don’t know where my love of motorsports comes from as neither of my parents give a single gently caress about cars and bikes.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Same for me. All I wanted to do growing up was play hockey, hike/camp, and have a dirt bike, neither of which my parents enjoyed/participated. Not sure where it came from but it's been there as long as I can remember and I still love them at 35.

I was always a hobby kid though, comes from my mom. I enjoyed things that kept me engaged, creative, keeping my brain busy, building things, taking things apart, trying to make things better, figuring out how they worked. With everything going on right now, it's clear that not everybody is like this. My sister was one of those people. She never had hobbies other than socializing with friends and she's going insane. Meanwhile, I love tinkering. Since I can't play hockey right now and dirt biking trails are closed, I picked up a remote control 1/10 scale rock crawler to play around in my yard which has been a blast. I ordered stuff to rebuild the forks and shock in my WR and fixed a bunch of other small stuff. Video games are always a late night fall back. I smoked my first brisket. Don't get me wrong I miss hanging with friends but I'm not hating this as much as other people.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’ve been on dirt bikes since 7 years old. My parents lived in a neighborhood with a huge, probably 100 acre or so plot of land at the end of their street.

It was the 80’s so I could just ride on it without someone flipping their poo poo to an HOA.

Now there is nowhere to ride with my kids unless I want to have them watch me talk to cops every single time :smith:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Verman posted:

Same for me. All I wanted to do growing up was play hockey, hike/camp, and have a dirt bike, neither of which my parents enjoyed/participated. Not sure where it came from but it's been there as long as I can remember and I still love them at 35.

I was always a hobby kid though, comes from my mom. I enjoyed things that kept me engaged, creative, keeping my brain busy, building things, taking things apart, trying to make things better, figuring out how they worked. With everything going on right now, it's clear that not everybody is like this. My sister was one of those people. She never had hobbies other than socializing with friends and she's going insane. Meanwhile, I love tinkering. Since I can't play hockey right now and dirt biking trails are closed, I picked up a remote control 1/10 scale rock crawler to play around in my yard which has been a blast. I ordered stuff to rebuild the forks and shock in my WR and fixed a bunch of other small stuff. Video games are always a late night fall back. I smoked my first brisket. Don't get me wrong I miss hanging with friends but I'm not hating this as much as other people.

take your brisket left overs and make grilled cheese. Use thick cut slices of bread like texas toast and a 1/4lb of meat and whatever cheese you prefer.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

500excf type r posted:

take your brisket left overs and make grilled cheese. Use thick cut slices of bread like texas toast and a 1/4lb of meat and whatever cheese you prefer.

This is exactly what I do. That and omelettes.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is exactly what I do. That and omelettes.

hell yeah

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
the best ptwin on the market, wish i could test ride one in NA right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6kEov50GPY

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Was drooling over that this morning. The bike is clearly capable of more than I am. Sounds amazing too.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I must be a big baby because I don't see a situation where I'd ever be hauling rear end like that guy over fruit sized chunks of rock, that looks like it would REALLY hurt if you crash, even in leathers.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Razzled posted:

:stare:

Rocks aside, that guy is going so fast a crash would hurt no matter the surface. Plus ... Trees. He rides that thing like it with nothing. I can't believe how he flicks it around.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's like you guys have never heard of rally or enduro riding.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Razzled posted:

What's it like to have a complete lack of fear and a poo poo ton of talent? This is awesome, and I wish my parents had let me ride a dirtbike when I was a kid-- cause I don't think I'd be able to learn how to do anything close to this in my 30s. :(

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Coydog posted:

It's like you guys have never heard of rally or enduro riding.

lol fr

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
To be fair I have not seen anyone ride the poo poo out an adv bike like that before. The comments are right, they should just run that as the commercial

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Shelvocke posted:

To be fair I have not seen anyone ride the poo poo out an adv bike like that before. The comments are right, they should just run that as the commercial

Change the color scheme in post to black and orange and it's literally a KTM commercial.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

the dumbfounded reactions itt makes me wish I had a link to that "old" DR650 trail riding video of a dude just killing it on some single track

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Dirt tires and suspension are just for aesthetics. All of you are weak:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n24F45Iwv80

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 14, 2020

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I wouldn't say its being dumbfounded, I would assume most people are familiar with Dakar/Baja, its just jaw dropping to watch someone fling around a big bike like that making it sound like a snowmobile.

Gullous posted:

Dirt tires and suspension are just for aesthetics. All of you are weak:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n24F45Iwv80

At least link their better video with the Rad soundtrack and mx jumps. I was kind of sad how things unfolded, I was hoping to see these guys a the desert 100 in Odessa WA this year. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEHo-VheeII

These guys have done sections of the WABDR on their goldwings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JgnDag56pg

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Here's an antique Indian and a quote from the old scold who started the Iowa State Patrol:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

One of the guys that puts on Cali Track Days (beginner friendly track days for insanely cheap prices and free instruction) reviewed the Ducati Streetfighter V4 S. Sounds like an awesome bike, but I think they're all sold out anyway. He said it's much better than the S1000RR he had, which I thought was interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhPTBdt3rq0

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
First time attaching the Sony action cam to my RAM mount today. Observations:
- I wish the battery lasted longer. This is true of the Sena 10C on my helmet as well, but drat this Sony chews through batteries.
- I forgot to record in 4K, but that doesn't really matter.
- I should look into some sort of vibration-reduction options. The camera does some really trippy poo poo when the bike is shaking - it's not unwatchable but it could be better.
- I need to find a second mounting spot for my other action cam. MotoGP 'butt closeup' would be cool but I'm not a good enough rider, don't have a gyroscopic mount, and my non-biker friends wouldn't really appreciate it. Ideas?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

- I should look into some sort of vibration-reduction options. The camera does some really trippy poo poo when the bike is shaking - it's not unwatchable but it could be better.

I’ve been looking into 3D printing a vibration reduction standoff coupling of some sort for my RAM mount. I pulled over to launch Waze on my phone mounted to my handlebars and it was literally like a game controller vibrating at full blast non-stop as soon as I touched it. It’s a good thing it’s a spare phone because I’m 100% certain the camera mechanism will be dead in under a month.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I strapped an iPhone 6 to a KLR with a $12 amazon handlebar mount and put 25,000 miles on it and the phone was fine?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

RadioPassive posted:

I strapped an iPhone 6 to a KLR with a $12 amazon handlebar mount and put 25,000 miles on it and the phone was fine?

iphone 6 doesn't have a stabilizer in its camera which is what vibrations kill

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Mister Speaker posted:

- I wish the battery lasted longer. This is true of the Sena 10C on my helmet as well, but drat this Sony chews through batteries.
- I need to find a second mounting spot for my other action cam. MotoGP 'butt closeup' would be cool but I'm not a good enough rider, don't have a gyroscopic mount, and my non-biker friends wouldn't really appreciate it. Ideas?

How about a view of the road?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
That's what the 10C on my helmet is for, although you're right another angle would be nice. Where's a good place on a GSX-R fairing to put a forward-facing camera?

right arm posted:

iphone 6 doesn't have a stabilizer in its camera which is what vibrations kill

Oh really? I wonder if there's a way to turn that off on the Sony cams. Thanks!

EDIT: Suppose the stabilizer might be what's eating the batteries so quickly too, eh?

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 19, 2020

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

Is this Vancouver?

I have been contemplating a Sena 10C Evo vs GoPro Max. What is your opinion of your 10C, besides battery life?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

e: oops

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Toe Rag posted:

Is this Vancouver?

I have been contemplating a Sena 10C Evo vs GoPro Max. What is your opinion of your 10C, besides battery life?

It's Toronto.

The Sena 10C is fine. I only really use it for the camera - not quite confident enough to listen to tunes while riding, I don't know anyone else with a comms system to test it out and I sure as poo poo ain't going to make phone calls on the road. The camera is fine, I wish I had waited until they released the Evo because all my other cameras will do 4K... Might upgrade at some point, though. Only complaints are that I wish the battery lasted longer with the camera - although I guess the ~three hours of straight filming it tends to last is more than enough, realistically, and nor do my Sony FDR-X3000s last much longer than that. That and the headphones are kind of a pain to install in helmets and I always find one side to be louder than the other - whether this is a loose connection from forcing things or the other driver is just slightly out-of-place I still haven't figured out.

If you get the Evo or Max, LMK how you like them. I've got a GoPro Fusion (gently caress GoPro for ending support for older devices) that I've been meaning to get some 360 footage with this season, and the Evo looks... well, 'worth it' is a stretch but yeah I need that 4K.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

cyberpunk 2077 lookin good

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

my personal private talladega turn

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
That looks fun. I haven't ridden my dirtbike in over a month. I really wish I had private property for this reason alone.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
If you haven't been watching it, Sylvain Guintoli has been putting out some excellent commercials for Suzuki comparisons between MotoGP bikes and street bikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8T4wjZPNbM

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If anybody want me to post review of Sena 10c, I have bought 4 of those things for multiple people over the last 3 years and have loads of data. I also use it like it was meant to, as a dash cam, recording and running non stop for 12 hours per day. They have their problems, but sure do their job, and Sena warranty and support are top notch.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What's your power setup that you're running for extended periods?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I have it plugged in to 2.1A or 3A USB. If left to its own devices, it would stop video recording at 50% battery, which is about an hour and a half. But with camera off, it will play music and keep the comms open for a full day.

The video is obviously not going to compete with GoPro and the like, but it's not what it was made for. It's a dash cam, overwriting its own recording, and with 256gig card, I have something like 50 hours saved at 1080p/30 fps.

If you riding for short periods and want some sick footage of your failed canyon carving attempts, GoPro is the king of that jungle. But of you ride for 12 hours straight and want to catch the license plate of a hit and run rear end in a top hat, there is simply nothing else that compares to 10c cameras. They also have an Evo and Pro models that come with WiFi and better quality video, but I haven't upgraded yet.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah that’s exactly why I want one. No one wants to see my dreary riding. I like that the GoPro is 360 so I don’t have to worry about its mounting that much or if I get side swiped and don’t capture it. But I also like that the 10C is also a comm system and I like the POV-style as well. It’s also cheaper by $100, several more hundreds if I save myself buying a comm system later on.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I wanted a helmet-mounted dashcam and long battery life more than I wanted good video quality so I got a Drift Ghost XL. The audio is completely useless if you're moving at all but otherwise it does what I wanted, and I haven't tested the 9-hour claimed battery life completely but it does 5+ hours with no trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
was never a big fan of how these bikes looked, but with the newer RS design and that sound i'm starting to like it a lot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xBd5jz3UVA