Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
I want a UCS jabbas barge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Big Mean Jerk posted:

These own, but man I forgot how much the ARC-170 owned and I’d kill for a UCS version of that instead of the Gunship.

I’ve had a few of those over the years from those from Craigslist lots I’ve bought. Fun builds and bonus that they come with the Kit Fisto minifig.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

My family took pity on me in lockdown and bought me the Tantive IV as a late birthday present and I just finished it while watching Rogue One and I have thoughts

1. Rogue One is much better than it was given credit for at the time, although admittedly that's probably partly because everything that came after it was varying degrees of pointless to poo poo

2. It's an enjoyable build by big Star Wars ship standards with lots of interesting techniques and little repetition and the final model has an enjoyable heft to it

Rogue One is pretty underrated and one of the only non original trilogy Star Wars things I like.It's 10 times better than any of the movies in the new trilogy imo.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

veni veni veni posted:

Rogue One is pretty underrated and one of the only non original trilogy Star Wars things I like.It's 10 times better than any of the movies in the new trilogy imo.

It is. Better than RotJ for me even.
Empire Strikes Back>A New Hope>Rogue One>Return of the Jedi

The Venator is crying out for a UCS set. It's both more interesting in shape, and more colourful than the og star destroyer.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Groetgaffel posted:

It is. Better than RotJ for me even.
Empire Strikes Back>A New Hope>Rogue One>Return of the Jedi

The Venator is crying out for a UCS set. It's both more interesting in shape, and more colourful than the og star destroyer.

https://www.yourwobb.com/products/king-81067-the-ucs-st04-republic-cruiser?_pos=43&_sid=7261157ae&_ss=r

I’d love to see is a UCS Sandcrawler... did I hear rumors of that not too long ago, or was it speculation because of the mandalorian’s popularity?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
They did a really huge Sandcrawler set several years ago (can’t remember if it was literal UCS) and they did a smaller one last year (this year?).

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They did a really huge Sandcrawler set several years ago (can’t remember if it was literal UCS) and they did a smaller one last year (this year?).

It was on that weird period where they weren't labeling things UCS, but yeah. The huge one is great.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Actually it was labelled UCS, right there on the box. Great set

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Long before Creator 3 in 1, set instructions would show 2-3 alternate builds at the very end- does anyone know if there is a resource to find actual instructions for these builds?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Long before Creator 3 in 1, set instructions would show 2-3 alternate builds at the very end- does anyone know if there is a resource to find actual instructions for these builds?

Did you try searching through lego's instructions site?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't think instructions were ever made for those. They were just supposed to be ideas to reference for making your own thing out of the set afaik.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
As far as I remember, they never published instructions to those things, just a single image for people to try and recreate.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Incidentally, people asking for instructions is why they stopped doing them, since those designs tended to be flimsy or follow design ideologies not up to LEGO's standard. They were only ever meant to serve as inspiration to get kids building stuff.

Y'all, peep this dope poo poo that just hit 10k. I love it so much, and I haven't cared about Spongebob in many years.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/05a5e0a0-b0d7-4c07-9ec1-e39b5c053dd9

Just... the density of detail inside this thing, the colors, all of it. I want to buy it.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 20, 2020

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Don't they never approve pre-existing IPs?

I like it too.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Actually it was labelled UCS, right there on the box. Great set

d'oh! It must have been the comeback of the label. I remember bizarrely they left it off like the X-Wing and B-Wing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have a friend who I talk to about Lego sometimes, or I did before he got bored of it. He's kind of the one that got me back into it actually. Anyways when I called the Red 5 the "UCS X-Wing" he'd say "actually it's not a UCS" and it always annoyed the gently caress out of me because it happened at least twice. It's a UCS dude.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

There's always someone like that. I remember once pissing someone off by describing Lego Factory as Lego Ideas before it was called Lego Ideas. Technically not true, but a good enough description IMO so whatever.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Somewhere out there exists an irate Lego Cuusoo fan who refuses to buy Ideas sets.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Wouldn't surprise me to be honest. There's plenty of Classic Space fans out there for whom Lego ceased to exist around 1985. I've also read about people rage-quitting Lego in 2004 when grey became bluish grey.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Chairchucker posted:

Don't they never approve pre-existing IPs?

I like it too.
Nah, they approved some Disney stuff whole holding the Disney license. Plus, Spongebob was not on the list of banned IPs according to the designer, and the Spongebob license is not current anymore. I think it has legs.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Wouldn't surprise me to be honest. There's plenty of Classic Space fans out there for whom Lego ceased to exist around 1985. I've also read about people rage-quitting Lego in 2004 when grey became bluish grey.

I don't know why, the bluish grey looks so much better than the yellowish grey.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
All you fake fans, sullying LEGO with your lower-case letters

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Krazyface posted:

All you fake fans, sullying LEGO with your lower-case letters

LEGO is italicized, you fake fan. If you're such a big fan, name three pieces.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

legos 4 lyfe

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

if you pluralise it you should probably be publicly executed tbh

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

veni veni veni posted:

I have a friend who I talk to about Lego sometimes, or I did before he got bored of it. He's kind of the one that got me back into it actually. Anyways when I called the Red 5 the "UCS X-Wing" he'd say "actually it's not a UCS" and it always annoyed the gently caress out of me because it happened at least twice. It's a UCS dude.

My first instinct is to roll my eyes at people like that, but it IS a little mystifying as to why the criteria for a UCS set seem to change so much.

It's also the first-est world problem anyone could have, though.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know why, the bluish grey looks so much better than the yellowish grey.

I agree for dark grey, but I find the new and old light grey to be really similar and often hard to tell apart. Of course, I'm also the guy that mixes them happily because there's lots of cool parts that exist in one grey but not the other. You can also get some cool weathering effects by mixing them.

As for why people rage-quit, I think it had something to do with only wanting one shade of grey and not wanting to rebuy their entire collection. Not to mention the retired parts that you can't get in bluish grey.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The UCS Hoth set would have been better received without the branding.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Coolest one of these so far:

(https://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/g49lbe/my_son_and_i_are_proud_to_present_skycastle/)

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

that's an awful lot of studs showing :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm more worried about the base plates visibly pulling apart!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chairchucker posted:

if you pluralise it you should probably be publicly executed tbh

woe unto the mod who saw fit to "correct" the thread title

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Captain Invictus posted:

woe unto the mod who saw fit to "correct" the thread title

first against the wall

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yes, they should be

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
for changing it away from "The Legos Thread"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The plural is LEGI®

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I thought it was GALIDOR.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Captain Invictus posted:

for changing it away from "The Legos Thread"

the opposite actually you philistine

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Excuse me brother, father said it is my turn to play with the legoons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

"Legos" has always just had huge "calls everything a nintendo" vibes to me.