Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yeah reading about how they had to match the length of the Japanese lines with 100% accuracy or else the entire game would crash and poo poo gave me a new appreciation for it - it could have been significantly worse than it ended up being.

Spira is definitely a cool setting, I think it still narrowly gets edged out by FFIX for me but it's close.

If I had to describe a favorite setting it'd be a toss up between the worlds of IX and XII. The first had a lot of whimsy and charm to it and XII was first FF game I not only finished but got 100% of everything on. Also Balthier and Fran are flawless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Flopsy posted:

If I had to describe a favorite setting it'd be a toss up between the worlds of IX and XII. The first had a lot of whimsy and charm to it and XII was first FF game I not only finished but got 100% of everything on. Also Balthier and Fran are flawless.

:hmmyes:

I also like Spira a lot, though, it's probably third for me.

The Ghost of Ember
Mar 21, 2009
I wonder if we're reading too much into the Stamp thing and its just a meta-joke about Cloud's place in the story. Cloud is compared to Stamp by Barret in the first five or so minutes in the game. Stamp is replaced before the story starts with another breed of dog. Zack, a character built in the style of traditional 90s JRPG protagonist, is replaced by Cloud, a brooding NPC who is an ill fit for the part of JRPG protagonist.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

I was going to jump to X/X-2. I last played VIII when it first came out and I never did finish it. If it's worth my time, it looks like it's cheap enough to pick up if people think it's worth the time.

FFX was the best FF game of all time.

X-2 is nowhere near as good but as long as you go in with the mindset that literally nothing about the game is the same as X except re-used environments, it's okay.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

FFX was the best FF game of all time.

X-2 is nowhere near as good but as long as you go in with the mindset that literally nothing about the game is the same as X except re-used environments, it's okay.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the big revelation in that game that Yuna was the real main character not Tidus?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Tidus is the main character of FFX and Yuna is the main character of X-2, although both are highly important to each narrative. That part isn't really a twist or even all that debateable.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I still have an easier time with "Aerith" than I ever will with "Tee-dus"

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
What always impresses me about FFX is how it manages to take a very wierd, broken, world and metaphysics, and make it feel very coherent and alive despite being really videogame-y even by FF standards.

Except Lulu, who despite being fun sticks out like a sore thumb among the otherwise consistent visual design.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

What always impresses me about FFX is how it manages to take a very wierd, broken, world and metaphysics, and make it feel very coherent and alive despite being really videogame-y even by FF standards.

Except Lulu, who despite being fun sticks out like a sore thumb among the otherwise consistent visual design.

Lulu's design I just don't get. Like the rest of the world has this whole island theme going for it, and it would be cool to see a Pacific Islander take on a Black Mage instead of... belts. But you know, Nomura.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Lulu's design I just don't get. Like the rest of the world has this whole island theme going for it, and it would be cool to see a Pacific Islander take on a Black Mage instead of... belts. But you know, Nomura.

I was just thinking why the gently caress did they put her in heavy leather in a tropical island nation?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Luckily the Black Mage outfits in X-2 are excellent

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Flopsy posted:

I was just thinking why the gently caress did they put her in heavy leather in a tropical island nation?

As someone born and raised in a tropical island, weather did not impair the emo community from wearing black and leather all the time.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Flopsy posted:

Nomura wanted to challenge the animators using the new ps2's technology to render her throughout the game. The animators in response told him to go screw and ever only show her entire model once in prerendered fmvs

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Folks are welcome to pronounce stuff however they want, but I'm sticking with "Aeris". Or "Alice".

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

As someone born and raised in a tropical island, weather did not impair the emo community from wearing black and leather all the time.

I shudder to think what she smells like then. Also as someone who has to go out and exercise in high heat and humidity while having boobs, the more I think about this the grosser she gets.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 19, 2020

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Flopsy posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the big revelation in that game that Yuna was the real main character not Tidus?

Tidus was the viewpoint character while Yuna was the one pushing the plot forward. Tidus eventually acts as the catalyst for Yuna to tell the pilgramage to sod off and breaking the death spiral Spira had been stuck in.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I will never stop pronouncing Mako "may-ko" which is weird because I say en-chah-ntment and similar.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Harrow posted:

I still have an easier time with "Aerith" than I ever will with "Tee-dus"

Absolutely same. I still say "Aeris" is superior but I am not going to throw my toys out of the pram over it. On the other hand I will die like the most stereotypical goon before I concede "Tee-dus".

He's a professional liquid lad in a water world of course it's "Tide-us"

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

Absolutely same. I still say "Aeris" is superior but I am not going to throw my toys out of the pram over it. On the other hand I will die like the most stereotypical goon before I concede "Tee-dus".

He's a professional liquid lad in a water world of course it's "Tide-us"

Not to mention in english it sounds uncomfortably close to tedious. Not ah--what one would want associated with the point of view character.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Flopsy posted:

Not to mention in english it sounds uncomfortably close to tedious. Not ah--what one would want associated with the point of view character.

There’s a nearly 20 year old in-joke in my friend circle whenever someone mentions something being tedious, we wait for another person to pipe up with “it’s also [insert other FFX character]”.

Yes we’re all shut-in weirdos, why do you ask

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Wasn't Tidus's name not said aloud until like Kingdom Hearts 1 because FFX was the last FF to do the "name your protagonist" thing?

FFX-2 went to incredible lengths to not use Tidus's name.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

HD DAD posted:

There’s a nearly 20 year old in-joke in my friend circle whenever someone mentions something being tedious, we wait for another person to pipe up with “it’s also [insert other FFX character]”.

Yes we’re all shut-in weirdos, why do you ask

Well poo poo son, we all are now.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Flopsy posted:

I shudder to think what she smells like then. Also as someone who has to go out and exercise in high heat and humidity while having boobs, the more I think about this the grosser she gets.
The real reason she had to settle for Wakka, discovered!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Temperatures have fluctuating power in Spira. I always remember how Tidus was freezing to death and needed a fire in the beginning but by the end he's hiking up snow-covered mountains. This is to say nothing of Rikku's outfit in those same freezing temperatures.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Funky Valentine posted:

Wasn't Tidus's name not said aloud until like Kingdom Hearts 1 because FFX was the last FF to do the "name your protagonist" thing?

Correct. And it was hilarious.

"I saw this sphere with a video of HIM in it....."

"Where did HE go?"

"Are you sure it is HIM?!"

"HE couldn't have been here!"

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
FFX had some fun with it too.

"And then there's him. Star player of the Zanarkand Abes."

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m still not sure what an Abe is supposed to be.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

HD DAD posted:

it's the opposite of a duggle

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

also it's funny that they're called the Zanarkand Abes despite the fact that they play in a league that only contains teams from Zanarkand, which as far as anyone who lives in it knows is literally the only city that exists

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I'm really curious if anything exists outside of Dream Zanarkand at all and, if not, if the inhabitants think there are things out there. Like it's one of those situations where everyone's like "yeah there are other cities" but nobody can name one and at the same time nobody thinks that's weird.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

HD DAD posted:

The Zanarkand Honest Abes.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

cock hero flux posted:

also it's funny that they're called the Zanarkand Abes despite the fact that they play in a league that only contains teams from Zanarkand, which as far as anyone who lives in it knows is literally the only city that exists

I mean, if it's really the dreams of the original people from Zanarkand, they do know other cities exist because they were at war with Bevelle at some point. the opening match is probably like the Yankees playing the Mets

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

morallyobjected posted:

I mean, if it's really the dreams of the original people from Zanarkand, they do know other cities exist because they were at war with Bevelle at some point. the opening match is probably like the Yankees playing the Mets

you would expect tidus to react to the fact that the capitol of spira is Bevelle, the other side in the nightmare forever war, if that was the case. He'd also know what a Summoner is, given that real Zanarkand had lots of them.

it's possible that he's just very, very dumb, though

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

My favorite part about this is that in KH1, Wakka pronounces it Tee-dus, but in KH2, Selphie, in her one appearance, manages to call him Tie-dus.

Somehow I managed to learn his name as Tee-dus, so I've always said it that way.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It's possible that whatever magic was used to create the people of Dream Zanarkand made them not think about "what's out there."

They think and feel and exist like regular Spirans but there is apparently some fine distinction between them and normal people and that might include limiting their desires or thoughts that stray beyond Zanarkand.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I basically made sense of it by figuring that Dream Zanarkand and its inhabitants are one giant Aeon that Tidus is a part of

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

HD DAD posted:

He's a Mudokon.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Just Andi Now posted:

My favorite part about this is that in KH1, Wakka pronounces it Tee-dus, but in KH2, Selphie, in her one appearance, manages to call him Tie-dus.

Somehow I managed to learn his name as Tee-dus, so I've always said it that way.

Proof that Selphie is the best character.

I've gotten used to Tidus, the same way I've (begrudgingly) gotten used to stuff like Iris being pronounced Ee-ris.

I can't get behind how the FFXV characters pronounce Ramuh, though. Instead of the Rah-moo that every other person in games has used, they go Rah-muh.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I've decided to play FFX remaster on PS4. Did they fix the random encounters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

HD DAD posted:

A president or an Onmyōji. It varies.