Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's some factory noise suppression cap or something like that, I think. My WJ had one, I don't think my TJ does. I agree that the splice looks factory, I've seen splices like that in my TJ's harness. edit: found a more likely solution and put it in your thread

Speaking of wiring, while wrapping up the O2 sensor swap on said TJ, I ruined the wiring harness side of the rear downstream O2 sensor, the one that connects over the loving bellhousing. I suspect I actually did the damage on a prior removal and the pins wiggling loose on the heater side were the root cause of my CEL. Do I dare try to find a similarly-brittle one off of a junkyard wiring harness, do I somehow find the specifically keyed connector available new somewhere, or do I say gently caress it and replace both ends with a generic 4-pin connector?

I'm strongly leaning towards the last one since it will also let me add some cable length and get the connector to a much more usable location.

Also, given the presence of Mopar part numbers on all four sensors, I think they were all original. Only one that fought me coming out was the rear upstream sensor, and it relented once I cut the wiring short enough to put a 7/8 socket on.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Do I dare try to find a similarly-brittle one off of a junkyard wiring harness, do I somehow find the specifically keyed connector available new somewhere, or do I say gently caress it and replace both ends with a generic 4-pin connector?
Definitely one of the latter two. I've had luck finding pigtails on rockauto and amazon, so I'd at least check there. I'd normally say do the last option, but the O2 sensor is presumably newer and therefore the advantage (refreshing both sides of the connection) is lessened.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, I replaced all four sensors so that end of the connector is new either way.

Looking at the old part in my hand and the new "Standard S1932" connector a few places list, no luck there - the photos show that one having a different keying than the rear downstream O2.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Slapped a generic DT-style 4-pin connector on both ends and added a few feet of wiring so now it goes from the mess of harness underneath the passenger side head, over the middle of the transmission instead of the bellhousing, and the connector itself is easily accessed.

Also made some progress on my steering parts cannon. Protip, if anyone else ever replaces their TJ intermediate steering shafts - even if you get the Mopar shafts, test fit the two halves together before you put them in. Discovered the hard way that the machining on the lower shaft was incomplete. There's a machined flat opposite the groove for the pinch bolt - on the original shaft it's machined past the pinch bolt. On the new one it was short by about 10mm.

My plan to tap the timing cover oil pan bolts without removing the pan has failed miserably - and if I take the pan off again I'm going to have a new timing cover on hand to throw on. Alternatively, is it possible to replace the timing cover on a 4.0 without dropping the pan entirely? What else should I plan on slapping on at the same time if I go that route? Front main seal, perhaps a new balancer?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If the balancer rubber isn't cracked or bulging out, keep running it. I trust old factory balancers over new ones unless you spend pretty good money on boring parts for a low power tractor motor. And it's easy to replace later, should be plenty of room. I think the new cover kits come with a seal but I'm not sure.

You might be able to replace it without dropping the pan but I always manage to drop gunk into the pan while trying to clean the front of the block and pull the pan to clean it out while kicking myself.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fair enough. Did some googling and found that at least one guy claims it can be done without dropping the pan, though for whatever reason they're also replacing a timing chain with at least half the mileage mine has on it.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
So my 2013 Rubicon has been having some strange issues with power delivery but with no check engine light. The problem is that on the highway in 4th gear between about 3000-4000RPM the engine will suddenly lose about 50% power and the exhaust starts sounding like its severely restricted (similar to what it feels like when a catalytic converter is going). Its an intermittent issue that seems to occur more when its warm, so I took it to the local exhaust shop and and their code reader pulled a 741 code despite the lack of a check engine light.

They did a test drive and were able to replicate the issue and after a bit further diagnosis they think that it might be an issue with the torque converter. However, they also said that when they checked the trans fluid that they found metal shavings and that the trans fluid was completely shot. I just pulled and checked the fluid and honestly I can't see any overt signs of metal shavings present in the dipstick fluid but there is no denying that I've been feeling a kind of subtle 'grinding' vibration (similar to what driving on asphalt with a pair of cupped tires fees like) and that has been real concerned.

I completely overlooked the maintenance schedule for a transmission flush at 60,000 miles so I guess this is all my fault. Plus, I live in the central valley of CA so most of my driving in the summer definitely meets the criteria of a vehicle that needs one at 60k. Lets hope that my oversight isn't the tipping point that's going to cause my transmission to grenade in the near future...

Out of curiosity, I checked ebay and found a decent deal on an automatic transmission that should work (from a 2015 JK, mines a 2013). I've done my own work and installed my own lift kit, front and rear bumpers with a winch, foglights, etc. But this would be the most ambivious self-repair I've ever taken on. I purchased an online sub to Haynes and they have a walk-through for dropping it out and reinstalling which seems pretty straightforward, but just curious if anybody here that has gone through that process could provide a few pointers, etc.

McDeth fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 9, 2020

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I think you might have two issues, much as you likely don't want to hear that. And I'm not sure what the sudden lack of power one is being caused by.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

What happens if you go WOT when it loses power? Do you notice that this happens more on slight uphill grades, maintaining cruising speed? Are you UTD on all other maintenance?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I got a lucky score and picked up 6x 40" r17 MTR/ks for $125 each. Now I just need to find some cheapo beadlocks to mount them on. These are going onto the m715's new axles (old wheels have different bolt pattern and are useless).

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

tuna posted:

I got a lucky score and picked up 6x 40" r17 MTR/ks for $125 each. Now I just need to find some cheapo beadlocks to mount them on. These are going onto the m715's new axles (old wheels have different bolt pattern and are useless).

That's a killer deal!

I also find it interesting how much sidewall those have in a 17" size ... really draws a fine point on how much bigger those are than, say, 33s.

In other news, if anyone ever needs to de-pin a ~97-01 Cherokee/Grand Cherokee PCM plug (and I suspect, Wrangler, probably a lot earlier and a little later, too), the thing you want is a Snap-On SGDTT20/SGDTT20G.

Krakkles posted:

Any recommendations on depinning tools? I know they're not one-size-fits-all, so particularly, I'm looking to de-pin a 2000 Jeep Cherokee PCM, which lead me to this video. The guy lists a version of the tool that's unavailable (on amazon, in video description), and when I looked around, I found them - maybe - on mscdirect.com: https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/87089710

I'm not 100% certain, but the sizing I've found on these (especially from the manufacturer) kind of seems to match crimp color codes - yellow is huge, blue is medium, red is small. So I ordered this based on that, and when it got here, it was green and too small. And really flimsy plastic.

I've got this OTC set on order, but I'm not sure it includes the right tool either, and the reviews aren't glowing.

I'd like to have a decent tool and I'm tempted to just buy the snap-on set because this feels like that situation I've been in before where I keep trying to find decent non-pro-level tools and the right answer is just buy snap-on/matco/mac. For whatever reason, though, all three of them have really awful images of these tools, so I'm not even sure that snap-on set includes the right style. I think it's the SGTT6A, but I'm not at all sure. The correct style seems to be a u-shaped channel that fits snugly over a 16/18g wire, as there's a pin that needs to be depressed on each side of the pin.

I do know I don't like those coin-style tools with 6 different tools on each side.

Krakkles posted:

And, got the smaller one, it's perfect. This is a ton easier than trying to do it with those little plastic things. Part number from Snap-On is SGDTT20/SGDTT20G if anyone needs one. (-G is green, without G is red, tool is the same otherwise.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Krakkles posted:

That's a killer deal!

I also find it interesting how much sidewall those have in a 17" size ... really draws a fine point on how much bigger those are than, say, 33s.

Yeah, that sidewall is a hair under 1" thick. The scale of *big offroad things* never really shows in pictures (and neither does the weight).
[e] oh you meant sidewall height lol.

tuna fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 10, 2020

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I rotated the 33x12.5x15s on the TJ tonight after doing a tape measure alignment. That was enough of a workout.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

tuna posted:

Yeah, that sidewall is a hair under 1" thick. The scale of *big offroad things* never really shows in pictures (and neither does the weight).
[e] oh you meant sidewall height lol.
I did, but daaaaamn. I didn’t realize that.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Just installed one of those tires on cheap steelies with 1 tire spoon. My technique wasnt great until the end, but drat that was exhausting. CrossFit competitions should get rid of the tire flipping and replace it with tire installing instead.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
So I pulled the pan on the Jeep and as expected after 94k miles the transmission fluid was shot. I replaced the gasket and checked the magnet...thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bIgM7ISosQ

To me it seems about 'normal' for a transmission that hasn't been regularly serviced...ever.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's less shavings than I ever found in my religiously serviced 545RFE. I wouldn't sweat it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

So long story short, have a 2004 WJ. 4.0. And it ended up in a ditch. (No, I wasn't driving, another long story).

So after having it towed around (cracked rim) amongst other things when driving it sounds like some mud flap is trying to come loose. Like a thumping noise. I'm thinking the CV axle bearing is broke? I crawled under the Jeep and and no split boots or anything, broken links, etc. but that is about the only thing I can think of. I'm assuming maybe to take weight off the tires to find play, but is that normal test with a healthy one?

And looking at options to fix it if you think it a CV shaft. Rock Auto has about 10 options with selec-trac/quadra trac/variomatic (which I'm ruling out since that seems to be for the V8).

New front tires by the way since those were toast.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you have a 4.0 you most likely don't have quadratrac / varilok axles, those were mostly on V8s. Could stick your VIN in here to make sure: https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

But, yeah, time to get it up off the wheels and maybe in gear with the wheels off the ground so you can chase down the noise a bit.

I disconnected the front track bar on the TJ trying to chase down the memory steer to see if somehow that was an issue, since it (along with the ball joints, unit bearings, and bushings) are the only things I haven't touched up front. The bushing in the track bar, along with the ball joint, are definitely worn but not to the point of creating any slop or binding so I don't think that was it.

I was going to say I'm tempted to pull the steering stabilizer off and see if that does anything because while I used the exact same Moog part I put on my WJ, this thing was *really* hard to push in and out by hand and I don't recall that from the last time. So, gently caress it, gonna try that now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, that steering damper is too much. Either it's defective or something, because without it the steering feels noticeably lighter and the centering (while not perfect) is much better. Debating running without one long term.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, that steering damper is too much. Either it's defective or something, because without it the steering feels noticeably lighter and the centering (while not perfect) is much better. Debating running without one long term.
I don’t run one, highly recommend ditching it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So how does the 3.8 V6 compare to the 3.6 Pentastar reliability wise?

I know the 3.6 has the casting sand issues so I'm assuming the 3.8 is better in that regard.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

I don’t run one, highly recommend ditching it.

It's tempting. I don't know why this one is so much stiffer than the same exact part I put on the WJ.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I know the 3.6 has the casting sand issues so I'm assuming the 3.8 is better in that regard.

They get a lot of heat for being a "minivan motor" but it's not like any factory Wrangler ever can be described in words other than "slow". One of my coworkers has a 3.8 JK, the engine hasn't given him any problems yet.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's tempting. I don't know why this one is so much stiffer than the same exact part I put on the WJ.

They get a lot of heat for being a "minivan motor" but it's not like any factory Wrangler ever can be described in words other than "slow". One of my coworkers has a 3.8 JK, the engine hasn't given him any problems yet.

The 3.8 has a penchant for burning oil, even when new. Jeep says it's "Normal" for one to burn 1qt/1000miles. At 20MPG, that means the engine is effectively burning a 200:1 pre-mix. I don't honestly understand how they get away with this poo poo. They don't all do it, although IME most do after 50-60k miles. The burn rates vary widely, some burn a half quart/3000miles, some burn 1qt/750 miles (which is Jeep's limit for warranty work). My roomate bought a Willis edition and that thing burned oil from day 1. He kept a case of cheap 5w20 in the back and just topped off every couple of tanks of fuel. "It's a Jeep thing" indeed :smh:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is burning it more environmentally sound than leaving a trail of it everywhere like the beloved 4.0 typically does?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

There's a dealer nearby selling a nice 2011 2 door so I was thinking about lowballing them to see what happens, they've had it for awhile and might be desperate now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Speaking of Joop thangs:

gently caress. I'm pretty sure at least some of those cracks are fresh, and in the second picture you can see that the track bar relocation bracket has been flexing / rubbing on the underlying axle bracket.

Unfortunately for me (my wallet) I do not have a welder, nor any ability to weld, and I'm pretty sure during a pandemic is The Wrong Time to try and get taught well enough to attack a project like this. So now I'm debating having a shop weld this all back together, or just replace the D35 with a Ford 8.8. There's a shop in Colorado that apparently ships out ready-to-go 8.8s for $1200-1400 - wonder if I could get a junkyard 8.8 to a local shop put together for the same or less.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

IOwnCalculus posted:

Speaking of Joop thangs:

gently caress. I'm pretty sure at least some of those cracks are fresh, and in the second picture you can see that the track bar relocation bracket has been flexing / rubbing on the underlying axle bracket.

Unfortunately for me (my wallet) I do not have a welder, nor any ability to weld, and I'm pretty sure during a pandemic is The Wrong Time to try and get taught well enough to attack a project like this. So now I'm debating having a shop weld this all back together, or just replace the D35 with a Ford 8.8. There's a shop in Colorado that apparently ships out ready-to-go 8.8s for $1200-1400 - wonder if I could get a junkyard 8.8 to a local shop put together for the same or less.

I've priced it out, and it depends what lengths you go on refurbishing one from the junkyard. I don't know about the shop in CO, but I priced it out and I could come out with a better equipped axle than what East Coast Gear offers for the same money, however, that's mostly because I have a guy who is a Mustang nut lined up to build the axle for very little cash if I supply the parts. He's gear swapped a zillion Mustangs including mine 15 years ago and already has all the tools for working on the 8.8.

If you take a junkyard axle to a local shop, I'd bet you'd end up pretty close to the $1200-$1400 range.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Here's the $1200 8.8 option. Not sure how I'd handle getting it home - do freight terminals have a lift to get poo poo into a truck bed? :v:

Of course now that I bother to google the shop name (SFF Customs) I see a few angry threads here and there, though I'm pretty sure every goddamn Jeep shop has at least a few of those.

I dunno. I'm in no hurry here.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Sff customs seems to be run by one of the guys I used to know via NAXJA. I never had a super good feeling about him then and reading a lot of this doesn't surprise me much.

If you were local to him and paying cash on pickup I'd consider it but recovering funds from a deal gone bad via the Internet is just too much of a hassle.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Come to the dark side and get a diesel

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Not sure how I'd handle getting it home - do freight terminals have a lift to get poo poo into a truck bed? :v:

I have taken freight delivery and they just brought a forklift out. In my experience, they're happy to let you pick up from their terminal, versus sending a truck to your house.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

angryrobots posted:

I have taken freight delivery and they just brought a forklift out. In my experience, they're happy to let you pick up from their terminal, versus sending a truck to your house.

Yeah, pretty much be a nice guy ask nicely and they'll toss it in your pickup. Just don't expect the dust shields to come out pristine.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Which manual trans is used for the JK? I test drove one and it felt like garbage compared to the manual XJ I used to have.....I'm assuming TJs use the same setup as the XJ.

Could be it wasn't taken care of well, but the clutch was stiff as hell and the shifter was crap.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Which manual trans is used for the JK? I test drove one and it felt like garbage compared to the manual XJ I used to have.....I'm assuming TJs use the same setup as the XJ.

Could be it wasn't taken care of well, but the clutch was stiff as hell and the shifter was crap.

TJs have AX-5, AX-15, NV3550 or NSG370 depending on year and engine. The XJs had the AX transmissions. I don't know what is in the JK though.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

XJs got NV3550s in 00+ but they were very rarely manual by then.

I have no idea what jks got, probably nsg370 and some others? Check Novak Conversions tech info section, they probably know.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Did some digging and it looks like the JK has a Chrysler NSG370 6 speed manual, bleh. Not impressed with the way it felt at all.

My XJ ('98) was a 4.0 so that means it was an AX15 iirc. I liked it a lot, guess I'll have to stick with a TJ if I'm gonna get a manual.

I'll have to test drive an automatic JK too and see how that feels.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 27, 2020

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

As I recall some late TJs with the new 4 cylinder (not the 2.5) got the nsg370 as well. It's been years but I think I worked on one for a friend in like 2012 or 2013. I think some super late 4.0s got it too? Just make sure to get a 5 speed if you don't like the 6 speed I guess. I've not driven one in forever and can't remember how I liked them.

Edit:. Yup. 05+ 4.0 and 2.4 got the nsg370. 04- 4.0 and 2.5 got the nv3550 or AX15 depending on year.

kastein fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 27, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

How is the "new" 4 cylinder in the TJ's? Are those just as worthless as the old ones?

[e] lol an '05 I was just going to look at has the 6 speed gently caress me

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I mean, you're the first person I've run into who actually dislikes them, that one could have just been hosed up. If you already made an appointment I might be tempted to just try it out anyways.

I dunno. My friend who had it seemed to like it (shy boy from chess clubs aunt, actually) but I only took it for a spin around the block after we did the driveshaft and axle ujoints and unit bearings, so the most I can really say is "it's a motor and will do 40mph" :v: