Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
There's a surprising amount of tech in this game. I keep expecting to learn someone has dodge offset.

The thing is, though, some of it's innate, but a lot of it is set up with materia. You end up mixing and matching little mechanics between your characters with their materia and their innates and build everyone into weird little tech machines. Something I like about this game is that because of the nature of materia the game winds up being pretty readable in the sense that it's not usually very counterintuitive to think about what might pair well with what else, because you broadly know what all the things are and what they do (although sometimes this game does also have issues with the parts of the game that tell you what stuff does).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGSid82
May 20, 2014
I lurked throughout your last thread being one of the best LP's I ever read, and I cant wait to see what you think of all the new twists

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
In the expanded universe for the original game (most notably Before Crisis) there were two organizations that called themselves AVALANCHE at separate times. Both were anti-Shinra, anti-Mako ecoterrorist organizations, but the first incarnation was more extreme than the second, with kidnappings and assassinations used regularly, including attempts on President Shinra's life. Towards the end of Before Crisis, it got to the point where one of it's founding members seized control of the group with the aim of using a powerful summon to annihilate all life and return it to the Lifestream, though the Turks (who were the protagonists of that game) stopped him in time and scattered AVALANCHE.

Barret (who, ironically, had helped the Turks against an AVALANCHE occupation of Corel) would eventually happen across a survivor who defected when the 'global genocide' plan was announced and it was that person who explained the original ideology of AVALANCHE to Barret. Barret then started his own group that took the name of the parent organization.

The developers of the Remake stated before release that they are essentially ignoring the EU for the original Final Fantasy 7, picking and choosing the bits they feel will improve the story and ignoring the rest. This means that the above, while providing important context, is no longer canon and anything that is not explicitly mentioned in the Remake cannot be assumed to have actually happened.

In terms of the FF7 Remake, it seems that the AVALANCHE (the larger organization) is still around (whereas this was destroyed in Before Crisis). Further, instead of the relatively centralized power structure the Before Crisis version had, the Remake version has a more true-to-life structure where there is a Central Command group which sets overarching goals and establishes communication and collaboration, but the actual work is left to scattered, independent cells who may each have their own priorities/rules of engagement/interpretation of the overarching ideology. AVALANCHE (or at least one cell thereof) seems to have made an attempt to assassinate President Shinra, but beyond that we don't know much.

What we do know is that Barret's group/cell apparently disagrees with AVALANCHE Command to such an extent that they refuse to speak with each other (bar the one sympathizer that gave them the codes). This points to a significant divergence from the orthodox with regards to their beliefs and/or actions. It may be possible that, in the Remake, Barret is actually more extreme than AVALANCHE ever was.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I actually got FF7R just so I can read this without getting spoiled for my own playthrough.

Granted, I'm already so far ahead that I could stop for a few months without worrying about the LP catching up, but still.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!

AradoBalanga posted:

From watching some combat videos, I think it might work on a funky pump-action type of system. Barret seems to have one burst of bullets always ready, but when he runs low or wants to add more rounds (for some of his other attacks), he effectively pumps his arm like it were a shotgun to "reload" his gun arm. It's weird, but that's my best guess.

I think there's no way this isn't just Barret flexing like a huge loving showoff.

Also, real glad to see this thread, finished the game and all I'll say is it's a good one.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

DrakePegasus posted:

Tryhard tip: Barret’s Square finisher shares the same animation as Recharge does after using Overcharge. If you hit Triangle at that moment you can boost the meter’s refilling by the same amount as Recharge without sacrificing the damage of holding down Square.

Cloud has a similar trick. You can hit Triangle to switch to Punisher mode while blocking attacks in Operator. Do this with correct timing while blocking a melee attack and the counter-attack will trigger, even though you started in Operator. This lets you block ranged damage while fishing for a melee attack.

I knew about the Cloud tech, but had no idea about the Barret thing. That's a great tip!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OddHaberdasher posted:

In the expanded universe for the original game (most notably Before Crisis) there were two organizations that called themselves AVALANCHE at separate times. Both were anti-Shinra, anti-Mako ecoterrorist organizations, but the first incarnation was more extreme than the second, with kidnappings and assassinations used regularly, including attempts on President Shinra's life. Towards the end of Before Crisis, it got to the point where one of it's founding members seized control of the group with the aim of using a powerful summon to annihilate all life and return it to the Lifestream, though the Turks (who were the protagonists of that game) stopped him in time and scattered AVALANCHE.

Barret (who, ironically, had helped the Turks against an AVALANCHE occupation of Corel) would eventually happen across a survivor who defected when the 'global genocide' plan was announced and it was that person who explained the original ideology of AVALANCHE to Barret. Barret then started his own group that took the name of the parent organization.

The developers of the Remake stated before release that they are essentially ignoring the EU for the original Final Fantasy 7, picking and choosing the bits they feel will improve the story and ignoring the rest. This means that the above, while providing important context, is no longer canon and anything that is not explicitly mentioned in the Remake cannot be assumed to have actually happened.

In terms of the FF7 Remake, it seems that the AVALANCHE (the larger organization) is still around (whereas this was destroyed in Before Crisis). Further, instead of the relatively centralized power structure the Before Crisis version had, the Remake version has a more true-to-life structure where there is a Central Command group which sets overarching goals and establishes communication and collaboration, but the actual work is left to scattered, independent cells who may each have their own priorities/rules of engagement/interpretation of the overarching ideology. AVALANCHE (or at least one cell thereof) seems to have made an attempt to assassinate President Shinra, but beyond that we don't know much.

What we do know is that Barret's group/cell apparently disagrees with AVALANCHE Command to such an extent that they refuse to speak with each other (bar the one sympathizer that gave them the codes). This points to a significant divergence from the orthodox with regards to their beliefs and/or actions. It may be possible that, in the Remake, Barret is actually more extreme than AVALANCHE ever was.

Thanks s lot for the write-up, I had no idea about some of these things!

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Good to see this LP up and running! This game has smacked me around and combat took a little getting used to, but it feels good playing a game that puts pressure on me to learn its systems.

I love how instead of cherry-picking things they like for the remake they're expanding on the original as much as they can and using every part of the FF7 bison. It feels like a revised draft and gives me hope for the rest of the remake if it means seeing the rest of the gonzo bestiary.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Finished the game. It owns.

Can't wait to follow more of the LP.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

geri_khan posted:

I think there's no way this isn't just Barret flexing like a huge loving showoff.
Oh trust me, this is early-game Barret. He has only two settings: loud and explosive. The fact that he hasn't configured his gatling gun arm to have a rocket punch function tells me that either he's holding back, or that he's too broke to afford the upgrade.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
He went for the sustainable rocket punch option: his overdrive bullets are all tiny fists.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Barret is both my biggest complaint about this game (they didn't back off the stereotype Mr t crap at ALL in 23 years) and one of my favorite parts (he's kind of the emotional core in a lot of ways).

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Zeikier posted:

I love how instead of cherry-picking things they like for the remake they're expanding on the original as much as they can and using every part of the FF7 bison. It feels like a revised draft and gives me hope for the rest of the remake if it means seeing the rest of the gonzo bestiary.

This is genuinely all I wanted out of the Remake and haven't been let down. Granted, I'm only at the second Reactor mission at the moment, but from everything that I'm hearing from people who have already finished it and were fans of the original I don't have much reason to be disappointed.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I think we've gotten to the point in the game where we can bring up the biggest question the remake asks, and this is going to focus entirely on people who played the original or followed any LP of the original:

Show of hands, how many people think that the VA's are pronouncing "MAKO" wrong?

There's no pronunciation key (that I've ever seen) for this made up word, but I know that I and several other people I've talked to always pronounced it as "MAY-ko", but clearly Barret says it like "MAH-ko". For me it's because there is a kind of shark called a Mako, and it's pronounced like the first example.

It's just weird to my ears. Did they pronounce it like that for the EU stuff? Did it even come up there?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

CzarChasm posted:

I think we've gotten to the point in the game where we can bring up the biggest question the remake asks, and this is going to focus entirely on people who played the original or followed any LP of the original:

Show of hands, how many people think that the VA's are pronouncing "MAKO" wrong?

There's no pronunciation key (that I've ever seen) for this made up word, but I know that I and several other people I've talked to always pronounced it as "MAY-ko", but clearly Barret says it like "MAH-ko". For me it's because there is a kind of shark called a Mako, and it's pronounced like the first example.

It's just weird to my ears. Did they pronounce it like that for the EU stuff? Did it even come up there?

It's a made-up Japanese word that the original localization didn't care to translate. So, yeah, it is mah-ko (魔晄).

The opposite happened in VI, where Woolsey actually localized 魔道 (Mah-do) as MagiTek.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Brunom1 posted:

It's a made-up Japanese word that the original localization didn't care to translate. So, yeah, it is mah-ko (魔晄).

It's actually a name, but werk.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
That's an interesting recurrence there. Was it intentional?

If it was I couldn't blame them for skipping over trying to keep any consistency, though. What'd you call it? Magijuice?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

LiefKatano posted:

That's an interesting recurrence there. Was it intentional?

If it was I couldn't blame them for skipping over trying to keep any consistency, though. What'd you call it? Magijuice?

I doubt there's any deep significance here. For one, 魔道 is an actual word that could've been translated literally, but Woolsey decided to localize it in a way that fit what it actually was in VI.

魔晄, meanwhile, is made up terminology. In fantasy/sci-fi settings, JP can very easily create new words for stuff by just mixing and matching their kanji, and each one has several meanings which, together, signify different concepts.

As for how you could localize it, it depends on how creative you are with making up new words in EN. If you're not, you could easily look to several religions and call it Mana, Prana, etc, or look to dead languages and call it something like Lux.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 19, 2020

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
魔晄使いTai!

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

Brunom1 posted:

I doubt there's any deep significance here. For one, 魔道 is an actual word that could've been translated literally, but Woolsey decided to localize it in a way that fit what it actually was in VI.

魔晄, meanwhile, is made up terminology. In fantasy/sci-fi settings, JP can very easily create new words for stuff by just mixing and matching their kanji, and each one has several meanings which, together, signify different concepts.

As for how you could localize it, it depends on how creative you are with making up new words in EN. If you're not, you could easily look to several religions and call it Mana, Prana, etc, or look to dead languages and call it something like Lux.

Ah, that makes sense.

I think "mako" works fine, though I'm not sure how much is "it's completely made up and refers to a made-up concept, who cares" (especially since it doesn't seem to be a meaningful compound word?) and how much is "I'm used to it so trying to think of something else that'd fit sounds weird".

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Wait, the shark isn't pronounced mah-ko?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i have heard both pronunciation for the shark. i figured it was a regional thing :shrug:

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Wikipedia says the IPA spelling for mako in "shortfin mako shark" is /ˈmɑːkoʊ/, whereas the ɑ sound is the same 'a' sound in "father", and the oʊ sound is the 'o' sound in "code". In short, the shark is also mah-ko.

So that's twice the word mako has bamboozled English-speakers! :v:

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

For the record, Mako (the actor) is also pronounced Mah-ko. This time it's short for Makoto.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

Yes, it comes up in the EU stuff. If you check out The Dark ID's LP of Dirge Of Cerberus, he posted a video of the opening cinematic, and Vincent says Mah-ko when he tells Yuffie to check the mako cannon.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

So basically its a case of "the white man fucks things up once again".

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Merriam-Webster recognizes both pronunciations, so don't feel bad about pronouncing it either way!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'll admit that the thought of pronouncing it MAY-ko has never crossed my mind.

But I'll also admit that FF has thrown bigger pronunciation bamboozles at me (looking at you, Iris and Ramuh in FFXV).

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Just wait until you hear how they pronounce Cetra.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I didn't really think I had nostalgia for FF7 until I heard the music playing in the intro. Time makes fools of us all.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I didn't really think I had nostalgia for FF7 until I heard the music playing in the intro. Time makes fools of us all.

:same:

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
Elentor, your FFVII LP is one of my top 5 all time favorite SSLPs. I also learned a lot about Brazilian culture, which always fascinated me anyways. I am extremely excited for this LP!

Doesn't hurt that I'm part of the PC Master Race :airquote: so I have to wait a bit to play this anyways.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Heir03 posted:

Elentor, your FFVII LP is one of my top 5 all time favorite SSLPs. I also learned a lot about Brazilian culture, which always fascinated me anyways. I am extremely excited for this LP!

Doesn't hurt that I'm part of the PC Master Race :airquote: so I have to wait a bit to play this anyways.

Thank you :3:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I pronounced Mako as 'May-ko' when I played FFVII for the first time, but I was nine and also I mispronounced everything in that game. Like Masamune or Cait Sith or Yuffie or probably half the monster names. So it's not what I expect to hear but that's not a new experience for me,

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
I've tried and failed to get into several blind LPs over the years. It's just not a style that appeals to me. The difference here is that you're both very intelligent and a very engaging writer, and likable to boot. Not only do I not mind it being a blind LP, I'm actually really curious to see your take on the game. I'm going in blind too, so maybe that's also part of it. Sorry if I'm brown-nosing a bit, I've just always admired your work and I'm happy to see you're doing this. :)

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I pronounce it Mack-o.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
It was always "may-ko" to me, and will continue to be so for me. It's been 20+ years now, no use trying to change course now.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

This is like the Sorceress in Diablo 2 pronouncing "mana" as "mohn-ah."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

ApeHawk posted:

I pronounce it Mack-o.

:hmmyes: