Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Captain Beans posted:

ay caramba just ran into my first alien ruler, viper king. 2 dudes died and one captured before evac. Tough deal learning their reaction actions work the first time, took me one extra death to realize their reactions are on every action and not just after a solider uses 2 of 2 actions. Hail the freeze grenade, without it the great snake would have killed everyone no question.

I had to evac out and try again. Whoops didn’t realize I would lose the region, that delay pushed the avatar project to a single point away from aliens winning. Took out the facility next time with a squad of flunkies, using overdrive serum to boost a dude in and out.

I totally see how people could hate alien rulers and turn it off. But fighting Chosen before kind of prepare you for aliens breaking the 2 action turn rules. In the end I’m glad I integrated them into guarding the black sites, I think it was cool. No idea what I’m going to do when I run into at least one that is immune to freeze grenade.

Luckily, none of the rulers are immune to Frost Grenades without mods. The Alien Hunter weapons are *specifically* designed to fight the Rulers - though I'm not overly fond of the Boltcaster, it at least has a solid punch, and has a chance to stun. The Pistol has a guaranteed hit which can be helpful against the Archon King, and the axe throw is just a free action which helps get extra damage in.

The Alien Nest mission which is available if you don't Integrate the DLC is a nice intro to them. Gives you the Alien Ruler weapons for free before you can get there, and you have Bradford at your disposal as well, who's a *kickass* swordsman Ranger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

TheParadigm posted:

As far as basic simple mods, I think 'color coded cost abilities' is probably one of the most amazing, and there's a few ones that adjust targeting/info displays. I think there's an improved targeting mod, or an always show shot breakdown. One of them has to be wotc compatable.

Thanks for the advice to pick up wotc when I can! my next playthrough I'm probably going to use modded classes:
Are there any especially good/fun ones? I've been eyeing the rocketeer and associated mods - things which add extra ability for cost (you have to build a new class of gun) seems okay to me.
What about difficulty or advent/enemy monster mods? Are there any especially good ones? Like, there was the long war enemy pack on release, similar additions.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2064234140

RealityMachina is a good friend and their mods in general are pretty cool. The Doomslayer is going to be Extraordinarily Overpowered though but it's the newest and most amazing addition to their mod collection-there's some more balanced stuff in there, like old-style MECs.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Just stuffed some more mods into my XCOM because the lost not doing 50/50 targeting is immersion-breaking

and overall I'm having fun! I'm enjoying a nice mostly-vanilla WOTC run on normal difficulty, and dressing up my soldiers, and just, it's a good time. Here are some posters!

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

ZAKU SPARK

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Rorahusky posted:

ZAKU SPARK

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1458246685

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Giving Mox a baseball cap brings me a special joy

God I'm so excited for Chimera Squad

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director

Captain Beans posted:

ay caramba just ran into my first alien ruler, viper king. 2 dudes died and one captured before evac. Tough deal learning their reaction actions work the first time, took me one extra death to realize their reactions are on every action and not just after a solider uses 2 of 2 actions. Hail the freeze grenade, without it the great snake would have killed everyone no question.

I had to evac out and try again. Whoops didn’t realize I would lose the region, that delay pushed the avatar project to a single point away from aliens winning. Took out the facility next time with a squad of flunkies, using overdrive serum to boost a dude in and out.

I totally see how people could hate alien rulers and turn it off. But fighting Chosen before kind of prepare you for aliens breaking the 2 action turn rules. In the end I’m glad I integrated them into guarding the black sites, I think it was cool. No idea what I’m going to do when I run into at least one that is immune to freeze grenade.

This is why I like them, sometimes they can just gently caress you up and then suddenly you're on the backfoot again. My ONLY problem with this game is that it starts to feel safe after awhile into a campaign and I like things that push that back.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Floodixor posted:

Blech, doesn't sound great. I'll gladly leave it out.

I also have the "Integrated Downloadable Content" checked, and Shen's Last gift is a mission I actually already did in XCOM2 vanilla, isn't it? It's a fantastic mission but I've already done it. So I'll leave that one alone.

The other is Alien Hunter's Nest DLC, which I'm reading about and deciding if I want to check it. It doesn't sound like I should, from what I've read so far. Since I just beat XCOM2 vanilla, I may have already played that one, too?

Long War 2 kinda sucked anyways. There was neat stuff (new aliens and weapons and stuff) but then you also got penalized for using all your guys and your best gear, so...

Coolguye posted:

Mod advice is not something I'm going to be putting in the OPs because that stuff tends to change a lot and I don't want to prescribe a lot of that stuff. Since we finally ran the mod zealots out of this thread we get a ton of good conversation out of it, too.

Ones that hated them, or liked them?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Started a new game to play with a bunch of the mods that were posted recently, and the game crashes as soon as I load into the Blacksite. I guess I'll need to add some more and see if that fixes the next campaign.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
why his eyes so weird

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

singateco posted:

why his eyes so weird

space racist!

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
It's cool in a day or so you'll be able to replace him with the already created Krogan model.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Honestly that model isn't bad for a $10 side project that'll likely show up on phones.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

uber_stoat posted:

space racist!

'spacist'?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Started a new XCOM 1 game. One turn after my first thin man encounter and all the old trauma resurfaced. gently caress those guys.

Also forgot that you need to rush satellites HARD and lost a game without ever losing a mission. RIP Earth.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Vengarr posted:

Started a new XCOM 1 game. One turn after my first thin man encounter and all the old trauma resurfaced. gently caress those guys.

Also forgot that you need to rush satellites HARD and lost a game without ever losing a mission. RIP Earth.

I beat XCOM 1 on my fire try, second hardest difficulty, took a screenshot of my memorial wall before the final mission, showed it to my friends.

"Some serious poo poo went down on Operation Crystal Serpent huh?"

"My first encounter with Thin Men."

There was only one survivor and she accounted for 23% of all alien casualties XCOM inflicted that run and yes, Duck Puncher made it through the final mission.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Vengarr posted:

You actually managed to silence the trauma? I just transferred it to Vipers since they were canonically and thematically the successors to Thin Men. I've lost multiple dudes to "Viper stands next to burning vehicle to tongue-grab wounded dude."

Seriously XCOM 2 you're presented with a Thin Man, a Sectopod and a Mechtoid you're gonna drop a bomb on the Thin Man first because fuuuck yoooooou.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Cuntellectual posted:

Ones that hated them, or liked them?
Mostly liked. Long War fans were so zealous they had to get probated out of a couple of completely unrelated threads for trying to evangelize the virtues of their mod and not taking "shut up" as input. Their complete inability to handle anyone not liking their darling mod was the direct onus for the chess rules in this thread. The mod antagonists were also pretty virulent and lovely, but at least kept the fights in this thread.

You would think that the moderators would have helped with it at any point in the literal years-long crusade they ran with disturbances going across forum lines but nah, our friendly local mods actively got in the way the entire time.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Coolguye posted:

Mostly liked. Long War fans were so zealous they had to get probated out of a couple of completely unrelated threads for trying to evangelize the virtues of their mod and not taking "shut up" as input. Their complete inability to handle anyone not liking their darling mod was the direct onus for the chess rules in this thread. The mod antagonists were also pretty virulent and lovely, but at least kept the fights in this thread.

You would think that the moderators would have helped with it at any point in the literal years-long crusade they ran with disturbances going across forum lines but nah, our friendly local mods actively got in the way the entire time.

What chess rules?

Regardless, maybe they just misunderstood what the mod worship was about? :v:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/TorNis7/status/1251525321196744705/photo/1

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Cuntellectual posted:

What chess rules?

Regardless, maybe they just misunderstood what the mod worship was about? :v:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762067&userid=177596&perpage=40&pagenumber=9#post468546893

i had it pasted in the OP for a while but i quietly removed them about 3-4 months after i put them in because after a few skirmishes where idiots had to be told to settle it the usual way, the zealots hosed off.

and regarding the mod situation: no. that is not what it was about. i'm happy to comment on it further but i wrote VideoGames a complete briefing on the situation, explained why i came to the conclusion that we needed something like the chess rules, and invited discussion with him on the matter. he did not respond to me for over a week, so i assumed he considered the matter beneath him - which i felt was fair enough. a few days after i went ahead and posted it anyway (because we had tried everything else for, i stress, literal years), he came in and made a big mod post that made it clear he hadn't read a word i'd written because it suggested a ton of crap that we'd already tried and had failed, for all the reasons i had detailed in my PM to him.

and that was only VideoGames. when i originally reached out to FactsAreUseless about it he basically told me i needed to set a better example as the OP - because, you know, THAT is definitely why people were needing to get run out of Let's Play threads for being so zealous about a mod i never even liked.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Apr 19, 2020

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Josef bugman posted:

I must admit I kind of dislike the "sleekness" of the upgraded armour. Would much prefer it if they still had a kind of "bolted together" look whilst still providing as much toughness.

Same, I struggle to get through the endgame when everyone ends up looking boringly similar. I wish there was an option for power armour to look like salvaged advent armour with a car battery taped to it or something similary roughshod.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

:allears:

I cannot loving wait to see all the stupid sexy snek stuff they've shoved in and how much of it gets ported into XCOM 2

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

snek tits rofl

just thinkin bout them big ol pendulous snake milkers lmao

bet it'd be a big kek if they tasted all raunchy and sweaty

JustaDamnFool posted:

Same, I struggle to get through the endgame when everyone ends up looking boringly similar. I wish there was an option for power armour to look like salvaged advent armour with a car battery taped to it or something similary roughshod.

Tactical Legacy Pack gives you a homemade armor option for all three tiers, although I think you have to beat the second Legacy Campaign for them.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 19, 2020

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I'm playing through the mini-campaigns in XCOM 2. Somebody please tell me how to beat 'Avenger Assemble' mission 6. :negative: Between the Sectopod and Gatekeeper taking shots at the transmitter, I can't keep the drat thing alive. My last attempt failed because the flying guy in the Sectopod squad decided to ignore my squad and blast the objective.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

JustaDamnFool posted:

It might not be exactly what you’re looking for bit there’s a mod that lets you wear the civilian outpost clothes,i think it’s called shanty clothes.

It never seems right to me that you’re supposed to be a ragtag group of underdog survivors but you have a giant flying fortress and technology flying out of your bum,i like my soldiers looking human.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I for one go full Power Rangers, everyone gets a color and a nickname denoting what their zord would be.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Having said i prefer ragtag soldiers i am also a hypocrite because i use the Titanfall armour which is awesome but most decidedly not ragtag.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Having said i prefer ragtag soldiers i am also a hypocrite because i use the Titanfall armour which is awesome but most decidedly not ragtag.

It's pretty gribbly instead of being sleek and smooth at least.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Regarding Long War: my friend's husband had played XCOM... but ONLY with Long War installed. He had never tried vanilla. It is one of the most frustrating things I have ever heard. Long War can be the literal return of Jesus, but holy cow you always start a game vanilla so you can better appreciate what mods change. :argh:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Can't say no to a 8€ pre-order on humble. I'm actually looking forward to a shorter, more focused campaign (hopefully)

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director
Last week I had no idea that a new XCom game was coming anytime in the next couple of years. Now 5 days seems way too long to wait!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Finally went back and finished XCOM2 with WOTC installed. Wanted to get it done before Friday. (Will probs be Saturday for us tho.)

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
Haha that Long War user purge is interesting. I stopped following the thread a few years back when anyone who didn't want to play the ammo-counting mod got dogpiled and berated.

I was wondering why everything around here was easy breezy all of a sudden!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

JustaDamnFool posted:

It's sad that the most "fun" armour is all the first lot and a bit of the second.

Are there any mods that mean the power armour looks a bit less "apple ipod"?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Coolguye posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762067&userid=177596&perpage=40&pagenumber=9#post468546893

i had it pasted in the OP for a while but i quietly removed them about 3-4 months after i put them in because after a few skirmishes where idiots had to be told to settle it the usual way, the zealots hosed off.

and regarding the mod situation: no. that is not what it was about. i'm happy to comment on it further but i wrote VideoGames a complete briefing on the situation, explained why i came to the conclusion that we needed something like the chess rules, and invited discussion with him on the matter. he did not respond to me for over a week, so i assumed he considered the matter beneath him - which i felt was fair enough. a few days after i went ahead and posted it anyway (because we had tried everything else for, i stress, literal years), he came in and made a big mod post that made it clear he hadn't read a word i'd written because it suggested a ton of crap that we'd already tried and had failed, for all the reasons i had detailed in my PM to him.

and that was only VideoGames. when i originally reached out to FactsAreUseless about it he basically told me i needed to set a better example as the OP - because, you know, THAT is definitely why people were needing to get run out of Let's Play threads for being so zealous about a mod i never even liked.

I think, having read your last few posts and the one you linked, you definitely could set a better example. Right now you're attacking the likes and dislikes of people who liked a mod, using a lot of generalizing language to lump people who liked a mod in together as thems, re-importing old drama about people liking or not liking a mod, still bringing this up years later, and doing all of this while posting about how annoying it was that fans of the mod did the same things.

You're being antagonistic while discussing how upset you are that people were antagonized.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Josef bugman posted:

I must admit I kind of dislike the "sleekness" of the upgraded armour. Would much prefer it if they still had a kind of "bolted together" look whilst still providing as much toughness.

JustaDamnFool posted:

Y'all need Unrestricted Customization.

The UI can be a bit confusing at first, and I also suggest a mod like Uniformity* to go with it, but it's so worth it, if only for the possibility to mix and match hero class cosmetics with normal XCOM stuff.

*: Also Free the Hood, Alternative Prop Positions and Anarchy's Children Extra Options.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Lanky_Nibz posted:

Haha that Long War user purge is interesting. I stopped following the thread a few years back when anyone who didn't want to play the ammo-counting mod got dogpiled and berated.

I was wondering why everything around here was easy breezy all of a sudden!

I know what you mean. I did nothing but lurk, but the thread was basically unreadable for a good while. Now I am finally posting for snake tits and a turn order change that sounds far more interesting than the base game's. Initiative manipulation is a mechanic that sounds quite intriguing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

deep dish peat moss posted:

I think, having read your last few posts and the one you linked, you definitely could set a better example. Right now you're attacking the likes and dislikes of people who liked a mod, using a lot of generalizing language to lump people who liked a mod in together as thems, re-importing old drama about people liking or not liking a mod, still bringing this up years later, and doing all of this while posting about how annoying it was that fans of the mod did the same things.

I had a reread and I don't think most of this is true tbh.