Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Bazooka Kaboom will be tattooed on my corpse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

:gas:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Neodoomium posted:

Some reddit hoser was saying that Hawkins' wife is 8 months pregnant and they still fired him
This seriously was all about screwing up families wasn't it? They laid off Sasha's husband too, I think? Plus all the pairs they split up.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
WWE is a family

Listen to Seth and stop pointing fingers. NOW isn't the time to talk about this, we're all hurting.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Spiderdrake posted:

This seriously was all about screwing up families wasn't it? They laid off Sasha's husband too, I think? Plus all the pairs they split up.

They didn't lay him off. He just worded his tweet badly. He was trying to say he would miss everyone who was getting laid off.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

It probably wasn't the primary objective but one of Vince's toadies got him to laugh when he brought up the coincidence so there you have it

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its more the irony of that "WWE is like a family" statement happening so soon before this.

But I think what it really highlights is that WWE IS kind of like a family, if you're talking about the roster. There's a lot of family units and close personal relationships and a ton of real family stuff there. But "WWE" the company isn't actually a member of that family. Because corporations are not people and capitalism only cares about profit.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Enzo Levesque.

Lol.

Sometimes I wonder if this is a way around the "not splitting up couples" policy they made last year which seemed like something they would be hard pressed to live up to given their normal ways.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Blaise330 posted:

WWE is a family

Listen to Seth and stop pointing fingers. NOW isn't the time to talk about this, we're all hurting.

A family that's locked in a basement and only fed scraps, to be trotted out to your gross neighbors of Saudi Arabia.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1251678297546616833?s=20

like a family

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1251683080034639872

Odd how it's okay to not max profits when it comes for people to make more money but when it comes to paying workers it's time to max Profits

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I want to see WWE spin this as 'I don't know why everybody is so mad that we're splitting up families, at least we're leaving them with ONE income'
And I mean the problem is clear; the solution is not. You can't make people like Vince care about people. Especially Vince. He's beyond 'cold' or 'pragmatic'. He is utterly malicious.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

I want to see WWE spin this as 'I don't know why everybody is so mad that we're splitting up families, at least we're leaving them with ONE income'
And I mean the problem is clear; the solution is not. You can't make people like Vince care about people. Especially Vince. He's beyond 'cold' or 'pragmatic'. He is utterly malicious.

He'll tear his nose off to spite his own face, if it means he believes he'll be getting one over everyone, and has poisoned the product enough to the point where any suggestion that WWE's booking and product could improve is itself considered an absurdity.

It's actually astounding seeing them make the exact same mistakes that WCW did which went on to become nails in its coffin, and AEW is up and running again, I hope they scoop up and push the gently caress out of the released talent.

Drake Maverick (James Curtin)
Curt Hawkins (Brian Myers)
Karl Anderson (Chad Allegra)
Luke Gallows (Drew Hankinson)
Heath Slater (Heath Miller)
Aiden English (Matthew Rehwoldt)
Eric Young (Jeremy Fritz)
EC3 (Michael Hutter)
Lio Rush (Lionel Green)
Sarah Logan (Sarah Rowe)
Primo (Edwin Colon)
Epico (Orlando Colon Nieves)
Rowan (Joseph Ruud)
Mike Kanellis (Mike Bennett)
Maria Kanellis
Zack Ryder (Matthew Cardona)
No Way Jose (Levis Valenzuela)
Rusev (Miroslav Barnyashev)
Deonna Purrazzo
Aleksandar Jaksic

I know this list has already grown with the NXT and PC releases, but how many of these were constantly hosed around with poor booking that seemed to be designed specifically to prevent them from moving up the card like Rusev, Ryder, Anderson or Gallows, or were never even given a chance to begin with like Eric Young, Bennett or EC3 (regardless of their political beliefs)? I'm not saying "releasing Rowan is a canary in the coal mine level of departure like the Radicalz leaving for the WWF in 2000." What I am saying is that the parallels with that failed company out of Atlanta are becoming more and more apparent by the day.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the vibe I got is WWE are gonna announce their quarterlies and then rehire whoever people bitch the most about. If I was an investor I'd be pissed at this blatant book cooking.

And I guess they're still quietly releasing people in the NXT/PC system.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

The 2016 roster today.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
E's been doing a lot of the exact same poo poo WCW was doing, only somehow worse in some cases. WCW was horrific yet entertaining in a strange way, still unwatchable though. E's been boring as poo poo for nigh on a decade now while being horrifically bad and unwatchable. Id take Russo winning the belt over the way they re-used this is your life, old day, another prettyass cuck angle, or "I WISHED YOU DIED IN THE WOMB" because Russo winning was somehow less phony and embarrassing to every sense.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

fatherofmustard posted:

The 2016 roster today.

henry, maryse, jason jordan, paige, kane, d-von

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

ChrisBTY posted:

I slightly disagree.

WWE's response will be to 1)ignore any criticism of them breaking up families/leaving foreign talent broke and with no way of getting home/hoarding cash whilst people starve as long as they possibly can, or 2) when questioned give a teary "things are tough all over, we really feel for those poor people we had to let go. It was like losing a family(tm) member. Boo hoo we are sad and suffering too."
Both of which are bullshit.

And as to whether Vince is purely malicious, I slightly disagree. All this breaking up families/leaving people stranded etc. stuff is an unhappy coincidence. I would argue Vince just doesn't care. As in he is not doing it on purpose, (specific instances of Lana/Rusev aside), but when told about it, he shrugs and gets back to his steak wrap and staring at the dinosaur skull. (On that: if WWE or the McMahons personally were ever hurting for money, wouldn't selling that skull bring in a metric fucktonne of cash?)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Blaise330 posted:

I got Terry Tanner on the rookie name generator

http://scarless1.tripod.com/twfnamegenerator.html

So easy to picture someone with that name being released.

Edit: Jacob Sage... kk ill stop rolling.

Welp

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

SatoshiMiwa posted:

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1251683080034639872

Odd how it's okay to not max profits when it comes for people to make more money but when it comes to paying workers it's time to max Profits

does every wwe defender have to be such a delusional bootlicker

I used to work to work in a very unethical industry known for lovely business practices for a very well known company, and the belief that the company was good and we were doing good things was almost cult like, but even the biggest lovers of boot leather there pale in comparison to vincels

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

dave will reply to any weirdo because its like some kind of weight lifting routine to him. Watching him provide concise statements to the most obtuse arguments should get him into public office.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think you accidentally invented a euphemism.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

coconono posted:

the vibe I got is WWE are gonna announce their quarterlies and then rehire whoever people bitch the most about.

I've seen this thought a couple times (here and elsewhere) and sincerely don't get it

If they cared about those people enough to keep them, they wouldn't have been fired in the first place, and they had the money before the mass releases to do that too

The furloughed corporate people will be back. Maybe one or two of the younger or international people come back after a few years on the indies. That's it in my opinion; just names off the top of my head but that's certainly it for the WWE stories of Ryder, Hawkins, Gallows, Anderson, Mike Kanellis, EC3, Eric Young and Rusev

I don't for a second think Lio comes back to the company either, between being in the doghouse repeatedly and almost instantly in the company, explicitly saying he doesn't want to work this business during corona, and having a sidegig he's very interested in (music) that he's happier with than being yelled at by everyone

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Crossposting from the main thread because wtf at how bad they treat their talent

sportsgenius86 posted:

Curt Hawkins' wife wrote a blog post about everything: https://theredheadedmom.com/2020/04/18/how-the-coronavirus-has-impacted-my-family/

First, Hawkins owns and she talks about how this awful poo poo happened and he spent time on the phone with the people who had never been fired before, talking to them about what they need to do to be okay and keep things moving.

Second, they've been flying him to the tapings and not using him when his wife is loving 30 weeks pregnant and then fired him out of nowhere. This company is truly the shits.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I got Hunk O. Waters on the first try, so I'm all set here.

Granted it's no Fuzzy Corncave, but

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The only real commonality between the names is they've all tried to "jump in line" or ask for releases. Plus doing it this way rather than taking voluntary resignations makes it look like Vince is the Biggest Dick In Town. Plus the podcast market and shoot interviews market have achieved singularity at this point so a lot of these folks can make a little side cash while waiting for the bloody economic engine to start up again.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
As if the company couldn't come off scummier, Hawkins wife wrote a blog. She's 30 weeks pregnant, quit her job last year to be a stay at home mom and apparently they were still flying him to Raw during this even though he wasn't used?

https://theredheadedmom.com/2020/04/18/how-the-coronavirus-has-impacted-my-family/

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I got Butch Shagwell, hmmm.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Drew Meatcastle

Which just sounds ripped from MST3K Space Mutiny

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Mods please change my name to.....

Tobias Mantit.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

funney name

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i got that one too

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I also got Wang Cannon once, although without a way to screenshot it on my phone all I can do is pinky swear that it actually happened

it’s a fine name, as these things go, but not really for me

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Make a new thread about rookie name generation if you want, keep this thread on-topic.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Rarity posted:

I am Rarity no more. From now on I will forever be known as Gilligan Gallagher

which I am now singing to this tune https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCtcXDCxh7w

edit for relevant content: I wonder if this will have any effect ultimately on the push for unionisation. If not in the US then potentially in other countries.

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Apr 19, 2020

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I got Dicky Bushcrab which sounds like a mid carder from the old territories.

E. Sorry didn't see the mod rule.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

gently caress DOCTOR DEATH!!!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lamuella posted:

edit for relevant content: I wonder if this will have any effect ultimately on the push for unionisation. If not in the US then potentially in other countries.

Antonio Thomas was asked about it on his Left My Wallet podcast and he immediately seemed against the idea, though he at least said he'd be interested in interviewing David Starr to get a better insight into how it would work. Given his own issues with being fired, struggling to stay relevant, and his sympathy with the people who were so recently fired it really made me think just how weird the almost kneejerk reaction in opposition to a union is. I know America has kind of allowed itself to be poisoned against the idea of unions, but given the almost assembly line list of hosed up things that happen to wrestlers without the benefit of a union, you'd think they'd at least be open to seeing how things would work WITH one.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

It's actually really interesting to me that over the last couple of years David Starr has gone from "talented indie guy who probably won't ever get a major contract" to being fundamentally the voice of worker's rights in the wrestling business. And he's done this by a combination of persistence, eloquence, and not seeming to give a poo poo about the consequences of his campaigning on his actual career. It's basically a matter of record that his political work has lost him opportunities with companies like Progress and WXW, and the smart thing to do for his career would probably have been to pipe down. I'm really hoping that one of the consequences of WWE going mask off during this crisis is that more people recognise the need for workers in the wrestling world to organise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Chris James 2 posted:

I've seen this thought a couple times (here and elsewhere) and sincerely don't get it

If they cared about those people enough to keep them, they wouldn't have been fired in the first place, and they had the money before the mass releases to do that too

The furloughed corporate people will be back. Maybe one or two of the younger or international people come back after a few years on the indies. That's it in my opinion; just names off the top of my head but that's certainly it for the WWE stories of Ryder, Hawkins, Gallows, Anderson, Mike Kanellis, EC3, Eric Young and Rusev

I don't for a second think Lio comes back to the company either, between being in the doghouse repeatedly and almost instantly in the company, explicitly saying he doesn't want to work this business during corona, and having a sidegig he's very interested in (music) that he's happier with than being yelled at by everyone

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the producers come back who don't get hired elsewhere, once they start touring again; they don't exactly have an easy time finding people to do that job who also can put up with Vince.