Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Peanut President posted:

that's an lf callback, idk if anyone is gonna get it though

hahaha that one im guilty of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Lanyards

Donut twitter

those are useful shorthands tbh

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

babypolis posted:

"populism" which is basically a meaningless term mostly used to compare popular leftist leaders to trump

populism aka democracy

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Only smart people should be allowed to vote

It's like the property requirement but for people who agree with the NYT oped page

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

rip prince of dicks

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
The one I hate the most is the pathetic deflating whine that sounds kind've like a dropped set of bagpipes coming from every goon in cspam pretty much all the time?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Motherfucker posted:

The one I hate the most is the pathetic deflating whine that sounds kind've like a dropped set of bagpipes coming from every goon in cspam pretty much all the time?

i dont think posts make noise. unless theres a youtube link.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

“blah blah blah” I say as I stroke my whatever who gives a poo poo

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
It's only really going on on SA rn but it's blatantly political: "I don't want to re litigate [X]"

An honest person would just say they didn't want to talk about something, but they've got to impress all the people dimmer than themselves (who also learned the word the same way and abuse it in the same fashion).

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
^ That was a big one in 2016 / 2017 even outside SA. “Don’t want to relitigate the Democratic primary but...”

Disingenuous "Ah yes," is annoying to me...someone might have said it already tho

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Not even once

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

broke brain white noise posters

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
First, .......

That's number one. Number two: .....

etc

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
PMC as referring to white collar workers/the business class, the conceit being that the work is so despicable it requires an acronym so distantly removed from humanity as to instantly make your eyes glaze over

In any case this abbreviation already belongs to Private Military Contractor, loving idiots

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

No lie I keep reading it as "Private Military Contractor/Company" and get confused for a bit.

Yeah yeah CONTEXT but still

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Animal-Mother posted:

"The senator indicated to me..."

You mean he said to you? You mean that he said something to you, in a conversation, with words?

Lol

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

the work is so despicable

this part is fair

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

cool dance moves posted:

BREAKING NEWS for poo poo that's been happening all morning, with no new developments in the story

Related: LATEST UPDATES and it's just a summary of old news you've already heard

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Satire requires a clarity of purpose and target lest it be mistaken for and contribute to that which it intends to criticize

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

PMC as referring to white collar workers/the business class, the conceit being that the work is so despicable it requires an acronym so distantly removed from humanity as to instantly make your eyes glaze over

In any case this abbreviation already belongs to Private Military Contractor, loving idiots

This is new to me because I never knew what the abbreviation meant either way. So thanks.

Just FYI, an acronym has to be pronounced as a word. Funnily enough, I was looking up some text shorthand the other day and thefreedictionary didn't know the difference between acronyms and abbreviations.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Jewel Repetition posted:

Satire requires a clarity of purpose and target lest it be mistaken for and contribute to that which it intends to criticize

Don't forget, it has to "punch up, not down".

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
It's pronounced "pumk", like "punk" :frogc00l:

Snowy posted:

this part is fair

They shouldn't be allowed to hide.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

LOUDER FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK

I don't even know why that one irks me so much. It's just viscerally aggravating to the point that even typing it just now enraged me,

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

phasmid posted:

This is new to me because I never knew what the abbreviation meant either way. So thanks.

Just FYI, an acronym has to be pronounced as a word. Funnily enough, I was looking up some text shorthand the other day and thefreedictionary didn't know the difference between acronyms and abbreviations.

but pmc is an initialism

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
There is nothing wrong with using acronym in that way.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
“existential threat” when the talking heads simply mean a serious threat but want to sound more smarter by misusing a phrase.

also when pundits insist on prefixing anything they say with “listen, “.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Snowy posted:

but pmc is an initialism

Well gently caress. This is why I can't work at a reputable dot com dictionary.

Linux Nazi posted:

also when pundits insist on prefixing anything they say with “listen, “.

Oh my god.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

"Look," and "listen," are shorthand for "I'm not going to answer your question but here's more of my narrative that may or may not be vaguely related to it"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

"Material conditions"

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
“How do I ask [a political campaign] for a refund is an extremely lol one I’ve seen around here the past few weeks

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
"toxic"

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
possessive truth

as in, "speaking his truth" or "making my truth known"

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

GalacticAcid posted:

possessive truth

as in, "speaking his truth" or "making my truth known"

Oh man, haven't heard that one. Sounds like the people who mistake speaking your piece with your "peace". As in, people who don't know the expressions they are using.

Kundus
Oct 30, 2014
loving "reminder"

reminder that this thread, which you've been posting in and i've only just found out about but i don't want to seem like i've just found out about, exists.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

Kundus posted:

loving "reminder"

reminder that this thread, which you've been posting in and i've only just found out about but i don't want to seem like i've just found out about, exists.

I'm going to let this sink in for sure

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Big Dick Cheney posted:

I'm going to let this sink in for sure

:frogsiren:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

"Jokerified".

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
nevertheless

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
hahah, one that gets overused by some specific writers is "to be sure"

Stephen Kotkin for instance says it constantly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
'Truthiness' was a word made from a comedian playing a character for a 'USA #1 Proud to be an American' comedy news show that has been off the air for loving years and people use that phrase seriously.