Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Mr. Mambold posted:

I want that radio!

Hell yeah, I've been looking for something like that (they're all over Kijiji but I'm looking for a specific model), that I can hook up an input to and listen to ye olde tymey radioe showes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

there wolf posted:

The box under the phone is a cubby for the phonebook. The USB-A ports are probably where the old phone jack used to be rather than a totally new addition to the space.

Do you put the devices being charged in the old phone book cubby?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ntan1 posted:

Dislike - here in the bay area especially near my neighborhood there are a lot of super-modern houses that completely look different from the other houses in the block. I'm of the opinion that a neighborhood should have some cohesion, but you can do anything you want inside.

what the hell

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

I think this is a genuine attempt at some sort of interior design given the plywood theme. It seems they were aiming for a Japanese-inspired style and landed in kindergarten-level arts and crafts.

The full listing can be found here: https://www.husmanhagberg.se/objekt/annons/OBJ29297_1766545094?alla-bilder. I especially admire the bathroom floor and the wolf painting.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

It does indeed seem like the previous owner wanted to remake it in a Japanese-inspired way but totally lacked the funds to do it.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's easier to laugh at McMansions where the issue is clearly the lack of taste rather than money.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

It's easier to laugh at McMansions where the issue is clearly the lack of taste rather than money.

In this case it's both.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Looks like groverhaus

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Looks like groverhaus

Load-bearing wool
And tell your friends

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Seagull Fiasco posted:

I think this is a genuine attempt at some sort of interior design given the plywood theme. It seems they were aiming for a Japanese-inspired style and landed in kindergarten-level arts and crafts.

The full listing can be found here: https://www.husmanhagberg.se/objekt/annons/OBJ29297_1766545094?alla-bilder. I especially admire the bathroom floor and the wolf painting.

I'm confused. What material is the wall made of? Is that some sort of sound dampening foam? That couldn't be a type of cinderblock or concrete. It's in the room leading out of this room, as well.

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

value-brand cereal posted:

I'm confused. What material is the wall made of? Is that some sort of sound dampening foam? That couldn't be a type of cinderblock or concrete. It's in the room leading out of this room, as well.

I've been trying to figure that out as well. It's not mentioned in the listing (the only material they mention is that the basement floor is partially treated with tadelakt), but it doesn't look anything like dedicated wall materials as I know them. I figured it might be MDF or particle board or something, but that's not sold in those sizes here. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if it was some kind of foam board insulation, given the unfinished look.

Fun discovery: the current owner bought the place for about $20K in 2015, did whatever this is to the house and now the asking price is $99K :v:

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Seagull Fiasco posted:

It looks more like they were chasing after an "upscale hobo shack" aesthetic and, to their credit, they caught it.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

I think they're cement-bonded wood fibre boards. It's a weird material for interiors, which makes me think whoever renovated the place got the panels (and a lot of the other materials seen there) for free.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Seagull Fiasco posted:

I've been trying to figure that out as well. It's not mentioned in the listing (the only material they mention is that the basement floor is partially treated with tadelakt), but it doesn't look anything like dedicated wall materials as I know them. I figured it might be MDF or particle board or something, but that's not sold in those sizes here. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if it was some kind of foam board insulation, given the unfinished look.

Fun discovery: the current owner bought the place for about $20K in 2015, did whatever this is to the house and now the asking price is $99K :v:

They're asking about $90k too much

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

They look like drop ceiling tiles.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Genuinely confused at what's happening with the uneven boards above the doors.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

how did they get the wallpaper more wrinkled than the bedsheets

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "reading nook"

please ignore the realtor-added text

wesleywillis here is another hearth for you

HOLY poo poo THIS IS AN AWESOME HOUSE if only it wasn't in Detroit

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I don't think I've seen a chair loom as hard as this chair is looming.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Megabound posted:

I don't think I've seen a chair loom as hard as this chair is looming.

It's a family chair loom.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's a family chair loom.

:awesomelon:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I just want to say

this fucken tub, man

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I just want to say

this fucken tub, man

I bathe in a real tub with your wife.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I just want to say

this fucken tub, man

This is a Harkonnen tub

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I just want to say

this fucken tub, man

it's nice they have so many places to stick your dick in

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Bloop posted:

This is a Harkonnen tub

Not nearly big enough.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I just want to say

this fucken tub, man

Put some wheels and steering on it and you'd be a shoo-in for a prize at the Tub Racing Competition

https://www.hotsr.com/news/2019/may/31/annual-tub-races-start-saturday-2019053/
https://www.cnn.com/videos/travel/2019/08/12/ny-bathtub-race-travl-orig.cnn

crosshatch
Dec 10, 2006

If there's one thing I absolutely will not tolerate in my reading nook, it's natural light.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

crosshatch posted:

If there's one thing I absolutely will not tolerate in my reading nook, it's natural light.

Then you'll love brutalist libraries!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Brutalist libraries, as with brutalist anything, own.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Where was that horrible warehouse library again? The one with the grated floors so pervs can creep up the skirts of the women above them ?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Youth Decay posted:

Where was that horrible warehouse library again? The one with the grated floors so pervs can creep up the skirts of the women above them ?

Cornell University.
https://www.metropolismag.com/architecture/educational-architecture/cornell-fine-arts-library/
https://www.dezeen.com/2019/12/12/wolfgang-tschapeller-bookshelves-cornell-university-library/%A0

I think there's some photos in this thread but here's some crossposted to the ask/tell librarian thread

Powered Descent posted:

Found a few more picture's of Cornell's new hell library for the thread's enjoyment.

Yeah, the floor gratings are pretty dang open.

I know someone with acrophobia who can't handle the kind of stairs that have an open space between the steps where a vertical riser normally goes, because they cause her to lose her sense of being on solid ground. This would be absolutely paralyzing.

"Let's see, what overall aesthetic theme should we go for? Hey, I know! The kill floor of a slaughterhouse!"

"But we still need something to give it a homey touch, to offset the clanging, echoing industrial feel... That's it! Chicken wire! Exposed chicken wire everywhere!"

e: One more:

And if you zoom in on this image:

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

beat.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I mean it sure looks cool but it's completely hostile to the people using it. That's what you want in a dying institution.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Mr. Wiggles posted:

finally, a good post

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

looks like a good place to crack your head open

I wonder how often people drop stuff accidentally and it falls through all the levels

edit: the architect is 100% a creeper lol

"we can't change it so that you can't look up women's skirts, it would ruin the aesthetic"

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 20, 2020

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Hello lovely library my old friend! A library needs to preserve the books, lend the books, and return the books.

1. Book carts = Rattle rattle rattle

2. Dirt gets all over your books!

3. WATER gets all over your books!

4. How do you clean it? Everyone needs to really rest on this question. This is a public building that is supposed to see heavy use in an area with good snowfall. Cleaning mud from an upper floor with bathe the lower floor books in that mud. Any cleaning supplies you use will drip down and damage the books. Are poor undergraduates using sponges? Is there an elaborate sleuthing system you need to bring in?

5. Peep show as people have already pointed out

6. poo poo won't just fall on the books, it will also fall on your head! Yeah!

7. Are libraries supposed to be extremely loud?

I'm pretty sure the answer is that all the books there are decorative. There is a real library elsewhere that people actually use. The article talks about how its competitors are bookless libraries and this one is supposed to honor books. I don't think that involves using them, it involves doing poo poo on the computers while the books float menacingly above you.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Is there an elaborate sleuthing system you need to bring in?

I see you're on the case already.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "Pewabic"

a Very Good House

another Very Good House also check out that metalwork on the door

yet another Very Good House with neat old parquet floors

An Excellent House that deserves several photos

also LOOK AT THIS LIGHT LOOK AT THAT CEILING

in conclusion: Detroit has a lot of really cool houses

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Youth Decay posted:

in conclusion: Detroit has a lot of really cool houses

Indian Village (historic district) has some really amazing stuff, but a lot of them weren't maintained very well for 40-50 years towards the end of the 1900s.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1023-Iroquois-St-Detroit-MI-48214/88553613_zpid/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
how about cat forts