Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
Wait did denkops do something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

Wait did denkops do something?

Denk is just kinda shouty and obnoxious.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I give him a pass because he was basically the one who introduced Creed and nL.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

TEW 2020 release date announced on Ryland's dev journal. April 23rd for a beta release, April 30th for the proper release.
Also; people have been simulating that new modern-day database and in somebody's game this happened.

Unfortunately the link for the new DB is down at the moment but I'll take a look at it in 2016 when it's back up.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

FPW World on ps4 got an update.

Update raises limits on creations
Now the limits are:
1500 wrestlers
100 referees
200 promotions
700 stables
200 rings
200 belts
1500 music files (5mb cap per song)
1000 images/ring textures

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
NL is playing the cyberpunk DLC for 2k20.

Good costumes and a neat arena, and they've got Asuka doing Japanese commentary which is neat, but, well, it's still 2k20. Such a drat shame.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Untranslated Japanese though.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

2K21 getting cancelled is some of the best wrestling game news in decades. I can't think of a single 2K game that was as good as any Smackdown, AKI, or FIrepro game and that company has long been functioning because absolute morons buy those games every year. 2K destroyed an entire genre and relegated it to the niches of gaming because idiots couldn't stop buying the yearly version but they hosed it up so bad that even those people wouldn't buy it I love it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

when ea cancelled their basketball game one year to try and bring it up to par with 2K, the next one was even worse and had players t-posing in the middle of the court, etc. so hopefully that happens here as well.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I shudder to think of what "worse than 2k20" would entail

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

ChrisBTY posted:

TEW 2020 release date announced on Ryland's dev journal. April 23rd for a beta release, April 30th for the proper release.

Hell yeah. I hate the eLicense BS that Ryland insists on, but I'll tolerate it for TEW.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

CVagts posted:

Hell yeah. I hate the eLicense BS that Ryland insists on, but I'll tolerate it for TEW.
i *think* it’s the publisher that mandates it rather than Ryland himself

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Eat My Fuc posted:

2K21 getting cancelled is some of the best wrestling game news in decades. I can't think of a single 2K game that was as good as any Smackdown, AKI, or FIrepro game and that company has long been functioning because absolute morons buy those games every year. 2K destroyed an entire genre and relegated it to the niches of gaming because idiots couldn't stop buying the yearly version but they hosed it up so bad that even those people wouldn't buy it I love it.

I mean nowadays pretty much all sports games are niche except Madden and FIFA. That whole category has not been well served by the industry's emphasis on big AAA titles.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Sports games don't adapt as well to the indie scene either because they're so reliant on licenses in the eyes of many.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Sports games don't adapt as well to the indie scene either because they're so reliant on licenses in the eyes of many.

There's that, and people expect a level of detail that's a legit challenge for small developers. It's difficult enough to create a solid 2D platformer with only a few verbs.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Super Mega Baseball is like the only one I can think of right now that's doing well without a license; probably because they're aiming for a more arcadey experience instead of trying to be like MLB the Show. Fire Pro also sorta counts but now that they have NJPW and Stardom partnerships it's like...semi-licensed?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Angry_Ed posted:

Fire Pro also sorta counts but now that they have NJPW and Stardom partnerships it's like...semi-licensed?
The Pro Evolution Soccer series is a bit similar in this regard, as the PES games started without any licenses whatsoever and, as far as I'm aware, still don't have the rights to all the actual teams and leagues like FIFA does. PES is and has always been the better game (including in the PS1 days when it was still called International Superstar Soccer Pro) and a more accurate simulation, but FIFA always outsells it because it's FIFA.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

FIFA controls like dogshit.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
The most accurate sim is Football Manager.

And by most accurate I mean I get the same feeling of disgusted aggravation when my team chokes in FM as I do when the teams I support in real life do. It's just then replaced by shame when oops Alt-F4 mysteriously gets pressed.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Doc M posted:

The Pro Evolution Soccer series is a bit similar in this regard, as the PES games started without any licenses whatsoever and, as far as I'm aware, still don't have the rights to all the actual teams and leagues like FIFA does. PES is and has always been the better game (including in the PS1 days when it was still called International Superstar Soccer Pro) and a more accurate simulation, but FIFA always outsells it because it's FIFA.
the PS3/360 years PES was worse in every single way including gameplay

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

jesus WEP posted:

the PS3/360 years PES was worse in every single way including gameplay
Yeah, now that you mention it, I recall PES being kind of bad in that generation. The PS2 ones were perfect and the PS4 ones are also good, although I haven't played them nearly as much.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

mind you PES 2008 had the most amazing menu music that any game has ever had

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXxqmAxDlYU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the problem with sim heavy sports games is I literally don't care if Shifty Smolnik is the Worst Dribbler In The League. I'm just trying to run the fuckin play.

Same with wrestling games. I don't care if the Big Show's knees are a fine jelly, I wanna do 900 Sentons and suicidas. I want to be slammed by Rey Mysterio(because Rey doing a Jackhammer is the funniest poo poo in the world).

gently caress sims, more fuckery.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

quote:

#47: Cinematic style matches

One of the advantages of being a small company is that we can be a lot nimbler than bigger studios, so I've been able to work on a late addition to the game, which is cinematic-style wrestling matches that are shot to resemble movies.

These sort of matches are identified via a fourth addition to the Held In field; on top of the existing three of In Ring, Special Set, and Backstage / Car Park, the new option is On Location [Cinematic]. This simulates matches that are pre-taped earlier in the day in an external environment.

This comes with a few restrictions; these matches are only available on shows that are being broadcast, and if your product doesn't suit them or if your production values are too low then the resulting penalties would make them essentially unusable. This stops tiny companies who wouldn't have the resources to do them from exploiting them.

Using one of these match types brings about the following special adjustments:

- Gimmick ratings for the protagonists have a more pronounced impact than normal, and these apply even if the user has turned gimmick effects off from their preferences menu; this means that you really have to have strong characters for them to work well, just like in reality.

- The match rating is impacted by the company's production values; Professional and High Quality are neutral and do not represent a plus or minus, but lower than that brings about increasingly severe penalties and above those levels brings some bonuses.

- Stamina, injury, and a botch penalties are all disabled due to the option of editing them out.

- The match automatically has a bigger swing in terms of randomness; this simulates the fact that there's a very fine line between doing these sort of matches well and them just being a mess.

In all other ways the matches follow the normal rules. The reason for this is that I didn't want to make this very restrictive; if you want to make a cinematic style match that is highly technical, or involves a cage, or is an eye candy match...that's all fine, you can do that. This therefore opens up a lot of creative avenues, which I think is a lot more interesting than making this effectively just be "you have to make it a brawl between OTT gimmicks".

I haven't time-locked these sort of matches, as my thinking is that although they didn't start happening until very recently, there's no particular reason why they couldn't have started earlier. So if a player decides they want to start doing these in a 1980s scenario, that's entirely up to them.

I've also decided not to have any sort of penalty on how often you can use these. The reason for this is that I know some people will probably like to try doing a company where every match is very cinematic and I didn't want to limit that option for them.

(NB As I know that at least one person will ask, I'll clarify now that although this is pre-taped content, no, you cannot use this to tape segments days / weeks / months in advance to get around booking clashes. That (obviously) would involve enormous changes to how the scheduling and booking systems work.)
Actually letting myself get a little hyped for TEW2020 even though I'm not gonna be buying on release.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Angry_Ed posted:

Super Mega Baseball is like the only one I can think of right now that's doing well without a license; probably because they're aiming for a more arcadey experience instead of trying to be like MLB the Show. Fire Pro also sorta counts but now that they have NJPW and Stardom partnerships it's like...semi-licensed?

Super mega baseball looks pretty arcadey but is a pretty decent baseball game underneath. its core gameplay is good baseball. It also has the advantage on pc of RBI baseball being it's only competition, supposedly the who will be on steam next year.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Killed By Death posted:

Actually letting myself get a little hyped for TEW2020 even though I'm not gonna be buying on release.

I didn't think I could get more hyped. Gonna be running bone zone matches for days

edit: Oh my god, nL broke Wrestling Revolution 3D after they got the roster down to three people. A fatal four way of Andrew Everett vs 3 clones of Jun Akiyama, Everett & Akiyama defending the tag titles against Everett & Suzuki with Suzuki as the ref.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 19, 2020

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

Some guy on the Steam Workshop made like 400+ wrestlers for Ultimate Arena(Basically a battle royale simulator) and I've been giggling non-stop about how stupid this is.

The final 3 were Cheeseburger, Cody Hall and Tanahashi. Tanahashi got taken out because he just wouldn't stop trying to get some water from a place that was out of bounds and it killed him. Cody Hall was a big favorite to win but mercifully Cheeseburger ended his life with a makeshift spear.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I would watch Drew Gulak punch Michael Elgin to death, honestly

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Also it goes without saying that this must be incorporated into the inevitable TEW2020 let's plays

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Basic Chunnel posted:

Also it goes without saying that this must be incorporated into the inevitable TEW2020 let's plays

gently caress that, somebody tell New Legacy about this so they can do some streams of it.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I kinda want to grab the new modern-day mod when I get TEW 2020, go to the database, release all the workers from their contracts then start a game as RoH or something (not so big I can just get everybody I want, not so small I can't get anybody I want) and watch the world play tug-of-war trying to fill their rosters. But really that's probably way too much work.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Watching new legacy play wrestling empire with Andrew Everett on the call is exciting. I don’t know why but I can watch it for hours and hours, possibly because there’s no way to predict what’s going to happen in the next match or even the next move.

Oh! My brother.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

I kinda want to grab the new modern-day mod when I get TEW 2020, go to the database, release all the workers from their contracts then start a game as RoH or something (not so big I can just get everybody I want, not so small I can't get anybody I want) and watch the world play tug-of-war trying to fill their rosters. But really that's probably way too much work.
assuming the save files are in the same format i.e. one big msaccess db file, it would be about 10 seconds work if you know where to look

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

Watching new legacy play wrestling empire with Andrew Everett on the call is exciting. I don’t know why but I can watch it for hours and hours, possibly because there’s no way to predict what’s going to happen in the next match or even the next move.

Oh! My brother.

The one from mid-last week is maybe the most perfect one I've seen yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luTaZDTqjHc

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

https://twitter.com/johnblud/status/1252005594116034562

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

Lacey is really good actually
So i just bought the humble 2k bundle for the bioshock and borderlands games and i now find myself in possession of a extra copy of wwe 2k20 for pc im willing to give it away if anyone here wants it but have no clue how since i dont have private messages on here

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Brokenogre posted:

So i just bought the humble 2k bundle for the bioshock and borderlands games and i now find myself in possession of a extra copy of wwe 2k20 for pc im willing to give it away if anyone here wants it but have no clue how since i dont have private messages on here

it would probably be easier to do on something like Discord in that case

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

Regrettable posted:

it would probably be easier to do on something like Discord in that case

Alright ill boot up my discord then is there a rowdy ringsports discord?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i will gladly take the nba 2k20 game for free that is definitely on offer given its lack of advertisement in the above posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

Cavauro posted:

i will gladly take the nba 2k20 game for free that is definitely on offer given its lack of advertisement in the above posts

Sorry Cavauro im keeping NBA, i didn't mention it but i got the bundle for canival games vr for my husband to have some brainless fun, bio shock, borderlands 1, golf club and NBA and ill probably keep the darkness too