Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Plot ramifications notwithstanding, it is an extremely Final Fantasy move to make the final boss "Fate" or "Destiny" itself.

Whether or not that belongs in the early goings of a remake is up for debate, but it's very within the spirit of the series, and I felt they did a great job capturing everything about FF VII in this remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

BillyC posted:

If the plot ghosts and Destiny never show up again then yes

Well yes, that's more or less a given, if they come back then it's hard to see how that would be satisfying, sensible, or enjoyable.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Ms Adequate posted:

Well yes, that's more or less a given, if they come back then it's hard to see how that would be satisfying, sensible, or enjoyable.

I think they have to at least explain the Rubrum, Viridi, Crinono flavour text thing somehow.

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

Ms Adequate posted:

I hope your right. They did such a good job with this that I am excited for the next installment, a little less so if its more alternate universe than just remake, but still game for it. It was just that one plot point I didn't like tbh.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Proteus Jones posted:

Don't get me wrong, I love OG FFVII, but I'm actually more excited by this game now that it's apparent that future installments can veer off into whatever.

Same. I want more FF7, so new plot developments and details are exactly what I'm looking for.

BillyC posted:

I kinda did yea. If they're gone for good, then fine.

e: and if Destiny isn't mentioned again, definitely good.

They're dead as gently caress. Zombie goasts leave this place.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

man nurse posted:

Plot ramifications notwithstanding, it is an extremely Final Fantasy move to make the final boss "Fate" or "Destiny" itself.

Whether or not that belongs in the early goings of a remake is up for debate, but it's very within the spirit of the series, and I felt they did a great job capturing everything about FF VII in this remake.

It definitely wouldn't have been out of place at or near the end of a world-spanning journey, but it feels like too much too soon when you're looking ahead to the rest of story. At least the spectacle of the final battle is like that because how do you follow it up? Knowing that you killed the giant embodiment of fate AND beat up Sephiroth (regardless of how "real" he was) kinda takes the tension out of fighting the Turks or any other boss now.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

They're dead as gently caress. Zombie goasts leave this place.

But this is our house. :(

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Shoren posted:

It definitely wouldn't have been out of place at or near the end of a world-spanning journey, but it feels like too much too soon when you're looking ahead to the rest of story. At least the spectacle of the final battle is like that because how do you follow it up? Knowing that you killed the giant embodiment of fate AND beat up Sephiroth (regardless of how "real" he was) kinda takes the tension out of fighting the Turks or any other boss now.

Ending the game on Motor Ball would've been kinda lame.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
If we get new FFVII story like the Remake's Wallmarket that would be great. If we get new FFVII content like Crisis Core or Advent Children that would suck.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Destiny and the Fate Ghosts is my lounge act.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

The Puppy Bowl posted:

If we get new FFVII story like the Remake's Wallmarket that would be great. If we get new FFVII content like Crisis Core or Advent Children that would suck.

Well yeah pretty much this. They need to go all in with the camp maybe tuck it in a bit on the angst,

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Pollyanna posted:

They could have easily just moved the Jenova fight to where the final point of no return is and end on that, I would have been more than hapy with Jenova Dreamweaver as a final boss.

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Yea this right here, although I did like CC's ending in all fairness :blush:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Pollyanna posted:

They should have had Roche show up and be the end boss :v:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Rude would simply pick a ghost up by its heels and throw it at another ghost

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm trying hard mode and I don't think this was tested at all. The loving dog in chapter 3 one shots tifa with throat chomp, goes super sayian and one shots cloud next and it's like wow thanks for playing this is stupid as gently caress.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

At what point was the 'don't fall in love with me' scene between Cloud and Aerith occur and what replaced it? Wanted to know what chapters I need to replay to get that result.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

anakha posted:

At what point was the 'don't fall in love with me' scene between Cloud and Aerith occur and what replaced it? Wanted to know what chapters I need to replay to get that result.

it's one of the chapter 14 ends I think, but it depends on your choices from earlier chapters

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

I finally assessed Roche on my hard mode run today and turns out he's only Third Class? That's the same as the mooks you take out in the Shinra building. Although his description says that most people don't like him because of his rampant disregard for the safety of others so maybe his rank is a result of politics moreso than ability?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm trying hard mode and I don't think this was tested at all. The loving dog in chapter 3 one shots tifa with throat chomp, goes super sayian and one shots cloud next and it's like wow thanks for playing this is stupid as gently caress.

its really good, the game wants you to actually look at your materia loadout and build appropriately for what you're fighting. remember that losses arent punishing at all, so if you forgot whats coming up just reload before the fight and think it over

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I do think it's funny that they blew their wad and were like "Well, Sephiroth has to be the final boss, right?"

The game could've easily ended after the fight with Destiny. Or like others are saying, maybe Jenova or Roche.

I think more than anything, that's the biggest disservice to the plot going forward. I feel like building Sephiroth up would've been a better move. Now it's like, well, I already beat a projection of him. How much worse can the real thing be? It's like setting the future up for anticlimax.

man nurse fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 19, 2020

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

man nurse posted:

I do think it's funny that they blew their wad and were like "Well, Sephiroth has to be the final boss, right?"

The game could've easily ended after the fight with Destiny. Or like others are saying, maybe Jenova or Roche.

I think more than anything, that's the biggest disservice to the plot going forward. I feel like building Sephiroth up would've been a better move. Now it's like, well, I already beat a projection of him. How much worse can the real thing be? It's like setting the future up for anticlimax.

I distinctly recall Sephiroth beating Cloud at the end there, so I don't think they really won. And if they did, it was against a fraction of himself.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

it makes sense to me that they wanted to get a good sephiroth fight in, there is always the possibility that the remake project won't/can't be finished for whatever reason and fighting sephiroth is really high up on the list of things they and fans want to see remade.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Veib posted:

The weirdest thing to me on this soundtrack is Flying High, the song that plays when you parachute down to the slums in Chapter 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYiPZ3JdHHI

because it sounds like the Top Gun opening theme, Top Gun Anthem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2M7QwHnVXQ

The song owns but wtf

Quoting an old post to say

Do you not remember biggs saying “I can take out another... PLATOON”

Everything about Avalanche is extremely 90s

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Pollyanna posted:

I distinctly recall Sephiroth beating Cloud at the end there, so I don't think they really won. And if they did, it was against a fraction of himself.

I admit to being a few beers deep when I got to that fight so I don’t remember how it ended too well. Still, if they’re committed to finishing this project, I would have rather they saved a sephiroth fight for later on.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

anakha posted:

morallyobjected posted:

it's one of the chapter 14 ends I think, but it depends on your choices from earlier chapters

It's right at the beginning of Chapter 14 when you spend the night at Aerith's house. You go outside at night and talk to either Aerith, Tifa, or Barret. In this case "Chapter 14 resolution" means "the resolution of earlier events that happens in chapter 14", not "the resolution of chapter 14".

AFAIK it depends on dialogue choices in chapters 2 (flower), 3 (drink at the bar), and 9 (Chocobo Sam, hotel), sidequests in chapters 3, 8 and maybe 9, and who you talk first before Abzu in chapter 10. I think the choice between the girls can be made with just the dialogue choices and Abzu fight, but for Barret you can't do the sidequests in those chapters because they give points towards the girls. You have to talk to one of them in chapter 10, pick Tifa if going for Barret because Aerith has more points by default, just like in the original.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It wasn't really surprising to me, all the Cloud hallucinations interdispersed throughout the game were moving toward a Seph showdown and his fight will look like a walk in the park compared to Mecha-Giga-Safer Seph in Remake Pt. III.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

yeah theres a lot of room to build up sephiroth still to make his later fight(s) interesting and different

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, we definitely didn't actually beat Sephiroth at the end. We had a skirmish and he basically let us get away.

That said they did sorta blow the full One-Winged Angel theme maybe too early but beyond that there's a lot of room for more climactic Sephiroth fights in the future.

Ms Adequate posted:

I wish Roche could've seen Cloud's motorcycle stunts at the end. He would've been so proud!

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 19, 2020

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

As incredible as the 16 minute remix of motorcycle song was, it was absolute bullshit roche did not show up again. I grew to love him so quickly

Also is everyone complaining they blew the sephiroth fight forgetting that in the original FF7 he is a screen spanning super boss that takes multiple parties to defeat and then his next form was an angel with like 8 wings

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I liked most of the new characters but hated Johnny and I hope he dies off screen and is never brought up again

Everything about him was just painfully unfunny honestly. I liked everyone else but man whenever he forced himself into the plot I just wanted him to leave.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Finished the game just now, and here are my thoughts:

• Loved the entire game, ending included.
  • Is it anime? Sure, but I always love a spectacle, so that was very much up my alley. And the original 7 was anime as gently caress anyway - it just didn't have the hardware to go nutty with it.
  • The defying destiny bit is a very ballsy move from the devs, but since I never had any particular attachment to the original plot, I'm very much curious as to where they're taking this.
  • Whether or not they'll make good on it is a matter to be seen, so I'll reserve judgment on the overarching plot changes for when the entire thing's revealed. But, as a self-contained game, it was all aces for me.
  • Barring a couple of bits (sewer revisit, mainly), nothing struck me as being a waste of time. And goddamn I love every single one of these characters, so even the random side quests weren't a chore.
  • Tifa's a blast to play as, but if I had to pick my favorite character from a personality standpoint, I'd likely go with Aeristh. Girl's just so much fun (though Barret's incredibly layered personality has him at a very close second). Everyone's great, though, and I can't wait to see more of them. :swoon:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I liked most of the new characters but hated Johnny and I hope he dies off screen and is never brought up again

Everything about him was just painfully unfunny honestly. I liked everyone else but man whenever he forced himself into the plot I just wanted him to leave.

Johnny isn't actually new :eng101:

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

As incredible as the 16 minute remix of motorcycle song was, it was absolute bullshit roche did not show up again. I grew to love him so quickly

Also is everyone complaining they blew the sephiroth fight forgetting that in the original FF7 he is a screen spanning super boss that takes multiple parties to defeat and then his next form was an angel with like 8 wings

Uh Sephiroth only has one wing. It's even in the song title, duh.

But seriously, I find it silly that the title "One-Winged Angel" became so popular that practically every appearance of Sephiroth in other media has him bearing one wing in his human form despite never appearing like that in the actual game itself. Same thing with the black feathers that Cloud sees in the Remake because the wing wasn't a thing before Cloud dumped his rear end into the lifestream.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I wish there was more Roche in this game too but I'll also settle for a spin off about Roche's adventures as a traffic SOLDIER.

CottonWolf posted:

I think they have to at least explain the Rubrum, Viridi, Crinono flavour text thing somehow.
I guess we'll see as we get more party members and or see if whispers still affect Aerith and Red (but they are maybe taken as already having defeated their whisper which is why they know a bit of the meta plot already) but I took them as whispers of original story Cloud, Tifa, and Barret. I can easily see an ongoing plot thread where you still need to take care of whispers from the other party members who interfere until their harbinger is defeated freeing them to write their own history.

But also gonna understand if they just continue with bonkers poo poo from here on out without any more whispers especially with some of the poking fun everyone is doing at the dementors.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Shoren posted:

Uh Sephiroth only has one wing. It's even in the song title, duh.

But seriously, I find it silly that the title "One-Winged Angel" became so popular that practically every appearance of Sephiroth in other media has him bearing one wing in his human form despite never appearing like that in the actual game itself. Same thing with the black feathers that Cloud sees in the Remake because the wing wasn't a thing before Cloud dumped his rear end into the lifestream.

you should see where they go with it in Crisis Core because hoo boy

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

you should see where they go with it in Crisis Core because hoo boy

Never played CC but knowing Square I can imagine how it is. I've made peace with it just being something they thought looked cool so it became synonymous with his character even if there was no narrative reasoning for it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Shoren posted:

Never played CC but knowing Square I can imagine how it is. I've made peace with it just being something they thought looked cool so it became synonymous with his character even if there was no narrative reasoning for it.

lemme tell ya about my dudes Angeal and Genesis

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Proteus Jones posted:

Don't get me wrong, I love OG FFVII, but I'm actually more excited by this game now that it's apparent that future installments can veer off into whatever.

I almost didn't get this right away because it looked like it was more a less a re-skin with some expanded dialogs. I decided to take a chance when I started hearing that "this thing is bit different than just a recreation". So glad I did.

Count me in for Nomura's wild ride. It's fun not knowing what's next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ms Adequate posted:

Johnny isn't actually new :eng101:

Well shows me :v:

I still don't like him and his brand of wacky humor though.