Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

well why not posted:

R2 might just loving hate padme

I mean, the movies aren't super fond of Padme, so that would track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/stellan-skarsgard-and-kyle-soller-join-diego-luna-disney-plus-rogue-one-1234582265/amp/

I’m down, could be amazing.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Diego Luna having a good few years.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah that owns.

With Disney wanting to milk anything, odds of Alden Ehrenreich appearing in it at some point?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah that owns.

With Disney wanting to milk anything, odds of Alden Ehrenreich appearing in it at some point?

He should have been digitally aged to have the scene with kylo in 9, but JJ is a coward

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah that owns.

I still actually want a Solo sequel. I do not want a Cassian Andor series, but hey, I'm open to the idea of it being good.

Speaking of milking anything, what are the odds that Disney doesn't somehow include the Skywalkers in a future series, somehow?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I think there is a high chance of them continuing some of the dropped threads from Solo in the Kenobi series, but the Cassian series would be a good place for that.

I just want more of Crimson Dawn and whatever the gently caress Maul was doing as a crime boss.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I'm a bit wary of a Cassian Andor series owing to the required endpoint of Cassian being the cold killer of Rogue One.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I just want more of Crimson Dawn and whatever the gently caress Maul was doing as a crime boss.
Is that what's going down in the Clone Wars right now?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
It's kinda hilarious that Solo seems to be the Disney SW project where they did the best job setting up a sequel...

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
What I've desperately wanted for years is a Rogue Squadron series and it's agonizing to see something so close yet so far

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I'm a bit wary of a Cassian Andor series owing to the required endpoint of Cassian being a wet fart in Rogue One.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Acebuckeye13 posted:

What I've desperately wanted for years is a Rogue Squadron series and it's agonizing to see something so close yet so far

a rogue squadron series would require a lot of expensive cgi, battles and whatnot

a show like the mandalorian was undoubtedly very cheap to make

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I didn't care for Solo at all, but would be down for a sequel since all the prequel poo poo is out of the way and we can just watch Han and Chewie do Han and Chewie stuff. No wasted time showing here's how Han got his name, here's how he met Chewie, here's how Chewie got his name, here's how he got the Falcon etc.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Ammanas posted:

a rogue squadron series would require a lot of expensive cgi, battles and whatnot

drat if only this franchise was owned by a company that could afford such things.

Oh well....

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Ammanas posted:

Battlestar is almost 20 years old at this point and had a bunch of starfighter stuff that still looks decent on probably a much lower budget than something like Mando. The tech has only gotten better since then and they have ilm at their disposal. There's no reason it couldn't work.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I guess they’ll just have to make a new rogue squadron game which they can also use for space battles in a companion rogue squadron TV show.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Ammanas posted:

The idea of setting up giant, super high resolution screens for exteriors built in Unreal and plugging the rendering PCs into the camera so it can track the movement properly and render changes in angles and pans accurately is one of the more brilliant steps forward I've seen in quite a while. Proper lighting, being able to do fast passes for green screens by just literally tapping on an iPad, making a section of screen green and then doing another pass so in the later post work an animator can just pop the background back in, exactly as it was ten seconds before and ten seconds after that green screen pass was done on that day, it's all making for a fascinating toolset that is kinda bringing VFX back "in-camera".

I could not get into the Mandalorian at all, but the behind-the-scenes stuff is some of the most interesting stuff I've seen anyone do in years. It's the next level of the Sin City/300 virtual set idea, a jump ahead of the Avatar "Volume" idea where the background exists in the viewfinder and video village but not for the actors; the tools are put directly into the filmmaker's hands rather than being left to post where outside forces can insert themselves, you're not hunting for some perfect location to serve as a background plate, you only have to build what you need or want a character to interact with, it's like matte paintings left as Murphy and came back as Robocop. Does it work in every situation? Of course not. Not yet, anyway. But that's the key word. Yet. And it's something that helps everyone, an actor can turn their head and feel like, "hey, I'm in an actual place, not in front of a bunch of green tarp".

And yeah, it definitely makes things much, much cheaper/allows you to concentrate your budget elsewhere.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Mandalorian's budget was something like 100M for the season so I don't know where the idea that it was cheap is coming from.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Mandalorian's budget was something like 100M for the season so I don't know where the idea that it was cheap is coming from.

Did you watch it? :v:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

$12.5 million an episode for a Star Wars TV show with action and digital effects everywhere isn't that bad when Netflix is spending $10 million on The Crown per ep.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The Cameo posted:

$12.5 million an episode for a Star Wars TV show with action and digital effects everywhere isn't that bad when Netflix is spending $10 million on The Crown per ep.

Watchmen, Westworld and GoT all have comparable per-episode budgets (with far longer episodes).

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
How many seasons is Baby Yoda signed on for?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

General Dog posted:

How many seasons is Baby Yoda signed on for?

Nothing else beyond 2, but it would have to crash and burn not to get a third and more. And that won’t happen since spin-off series are already in the works.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Honest Trailers: The Rise of Skywalker pretty well distilled the essence of this thread.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The Mandalorian was very expensive but from what I've watched of it so far (the first 6 episodes, which is what's been released in the UK) it's shockingly ugly. Shots are consistently dark and muddy looking, and not in a good way. Can't tell the difference between anything on screen when it's dark, which it is about half the time. The Tatooine episode was a particular low point (although it didn't help that it was boring and felt like a fan film).

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

cargohills posted:

The Mandalorian was very expensive but from what I've watched of it so far (the first 6 episodes, which is what's been released in the UK) it's shockingly ugly. Shots are consistently dark and muddy looking, and not in a good way. Can't tell the difference between anything on screen when it's dark, which it is about half the time. The Tatooine episode was a particular low point (although it didn't help that it was boring and felt like a fan film).

I'll have you know being shockingly ugly is the intended style of Westerns

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
The Tattooine episode should have just been the spaceport owner trying to keep Baby Yoda out of trouble while the Mandalorian's away having an off-screen adventure.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

cargohills posted:

What do you, hate sand or something?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It was dark for some scenes but it was not muddy or hard to follow for me. Might be worth checking the tv brightness. Adjust until baby Yoda is barely visible.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Everything else I've ever watched looks fine, it's basically just this. The daylight scenes often look like they've got a grey filter over it too so I'm pretty confident it's The Mandalorian rather than my TV.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

cargohills posted:

Everything else I've ever watched looks fine, it's basically just this. The daylight scenes often look like they've got a grey filter over it too so I'm pretty confident it's The Mandalorian rather than my TV.

Have you seen solo? Its my go-to to muddy visuals especially early on

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

cargohills posted:

It's like how the marvel films all have insane budgets but look like total crap.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I agree that the Tatooine episode looked kind of muddy (which was probably the point, but it doesn't help, and it's the only episode of the show that doesn't quite work for me), but the rest of the show looked fantastic to me, so I don't really get the complaint. It's supposed to look dark and dirty, it's a Western in space. They're in the backwaters of the galaxy, not Coruscant.

Even in the Tatooine episode, though, I didn't have trouble telling the difference between things on screen, though. That's weird.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 21, 2020

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

mastershakeman posted:

Have you seen solo? Its my go-to to muddy visuals especially early on

Yeah, that often looked pretty bad. Looks alright in the daytime scenes though.

thrawn527 posted:

It's supposed to look dark and dirty, it's a Western in space.

I'm not particularly convinced by this, due to the sheer number of Westerns that look Good Actually. You can tell the characters in Sergio Leone's films are caked in dirt and sweat but the camerawork is still beautiful. Not expecting the show to be quite at that level but at least approaching as nice looking as the desert scenes in Star Wars (1977) would be a start.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

thrawn527 posted:

I agree that the Tatooine episode looked kind of muddy (which was probably the point, but it doesn't help, and it's the only episode of the show that doesn't quite work for me), but the rest of the show looked fantastic to me, so I don't really get the complaint. It's supposed to look dark and dirty, it's a Western in space. They're in the backwaters of the galaxy, not Coruscant.

Even in the Tatooine episode, though, I didn't have trouble telling the difference between things on screen, though. That's weird.

Yeah the show IS dark and dirty but I had zero issue with it looking muddy or hard to discern or anything.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The scenes in Solo that took place in the sewer were the worst. loving day for night in an interior. In a big budget Star War. How amatuerish.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

P wild that two years ago the plan was to put out two star wars a year haha

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

They’re still going to but it’s gonna be two TV shows a year. Probably more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

cargohills posted:

I noticed a lot of the outdoors stuff seemed oddly blown out, but most of it was shot in an LED soundstage with false backgrounds, so it might be a byproduct of the technology.