Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Hey Thread, I could do with some advice for a friend, or more realistically put him in the right direction to get some advice.

Friend A rented a small house, and sublet the spare room to Friend B. B Wasn't on the lease or anything, was very much a month by month lodger arangement.

Sadly A died 2 weeks ago, corona virus. B had been working from home in his room, came down in the evening and found him dead on the sofa. B's been completely self isolating since.

Now the landlord has told him he needs to be out in 10 days. Obviously this isn't your everyday situation, and probably doesn't fit into the current "no evictions" category?

B's from Eastern Europe and doesn't have any family to stay with. I'll put him up if needs be but i'll very much be a crashing on my sofa in an already full flat.

Are there any charity / free advice lines he should ring? Can the Landlord evict him ? Obviously there's no arrangement with B and the Landlord, so I guess he's effectively sqatting at the moment. This is well out of my expertise but would like to at least point him in the right direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Ben Soosneb posted:

Hey Thread, I could do with some advice for a friend, or more realistically put him in the right direction to get some advice.

Friend A rented a small house, and sublet the spare room to Friend B. B Wasn't on the lease or anything, was very much a month by month lodger arangement.

Sadly A died 2 weeks ago, corona virus. B had been working from home in his room, came down in the evening and found him dead on the sofa. B's been completely self isolating since.

Now the landlord has told him he needs to be out in 10 days. Obviously this isn't your everyday situation, and probably doesn't fit into the current "no evictions" category?

B's from Eastern Europe and doesn't have any family to stay with. I'll put him up if needs be but i'll very much be a crashing on my sofa in an already full flat.

Are there any charity / free advice lines he should ring? Can the Landlord evict him ? Obviously there's no arrangement with B and the Landlord, so I guess he's effectively sqatting at the moment. This is well out of my expertise but would like to at least point him in the right direction.

He is going to be homeless and needs to contact Shelter ASAP

https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_help

If he isn't on the tenancy he has pretty much no ground to stand on afaik

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

The latest pod is here for you to while away Sunday evening:

Orange Devil was kind enough to come on PiP - me, him and a very confused Coohoolin talk all things euro(zone)for your aural pleasure:

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1251966720920739841?s=19

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
How long is the rent paid up for? Also it's not going to be pleasant I'm sure but he'll be able to stay longer than 10 days because you can't just turn up and turf someone out like that? But I dunno wtf. Shelter defo as a starting point. Negotiate with the landlord? Offer to pay the rent if they can?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

NotJustANumber99 posted:

How long is the rent paid up for? Also it's not going to be pleasant I'm sure but he'll be able to stay longer than 10 days because you can't just turn up and turf someone out like that? But I dunno wtf. Shelter defo as a starting point. Negotiate with the landlord? Offer to pay the rent if they can?

Without any sort of agreement (tenancy/lodger) with the actual landlord then the landlord only has to give 'reasonable notice' which can be anything they like.

Basically landlord is a shithead.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Only until the end of this month unfortunately. And it sounds like the landlord definitely wants him out, although I think B's a bit panicy at the moment and might be in a better place to think it through and maybe see if he can negotiate something with the landlord tomorrow. He was supposed to be moving to London for a new job (that he's started, just working remotely), so he'd only want to stay short-term anyway.

I figured that he might not be in a great situation.I was trying to think of Shelter but kept coming up blank.

Thanks guys.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

If he's going to be moving out short term, I'd tell him to stand his ground and tell the landlord he'll be moving at X, and as evictions are currently illegal he could stay longer if he wanted, so stuff it. Legally this isn't true, but it's not like the landlord is gonna get many new tenants atm. And since B hasn't paid a deposit, he could just trash the place out of spite if the landlord tried to push the issue.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Met Office? I ask because it sounds similar and I'm starting a new job there soon, so nice to hear there's a union presence.

No, although the people from there who I’ve been on projects with have always been really pleasant and positive about the place. They’re Civil Service, you have your pick of unions. I’m PCS, it’s good except for Ruth Serwotka.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
So has the Brexit situation gone from "they will buy our cakes" to "there will be adequate food" to "if you find food for sale you're still legally allowed to buy it"?

What's next?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Technically the tenancy hasn't yet come to an end and the landlord has to give 4 weeks notice. Does Tenant A have any family or anyone in their will to pass possessions onto? That process will probably take longer than 10 days.
- https://landlordadvice.co.uk/death-of-a-tenant/
https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/council_housing_association/what_happens_to_a_tenancy_when_the_tenant_dies

Can your friend explain the situation and ask for (and afford?) an extension on the tenancy for the next few months? I'm not sure if house viewings are essential travel so the landlord would be losing money otherwise - if the sublet wasnt known about that might be a sore point. If you think its appropriate maybe talking to them on their behalf might work (if his background is an issue), what does your friend think?

justcola fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 19, 2020

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

If he's going to be moving out short term, I'd tell him to stand his ground and tell the landlord he'll be moving at X, and as evictions are currently illegal he could stay longer if he wanted, so stuff it. Legally this isn't true, but it's not like the landlord is gonna get many new tenants atm. And since B hasn't paid a deposit, he could just trash the place out of spite if the landlord tried to push the issue.

the deposit will be owed to the deceased’s next of kin, so probably don’t trash the place and lose them that

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

justcola posted:

Technically the tenancy hasn't yet come to an end and the landlord has to give 4 weeks notice. Does Tenant A have any family or anyone in their will to pass possessions onto? That process will probably take longer than 10 days.
- https://landlordadvice.co.uk/death-of-a-tenant/
https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/council_housing_association/what_happens_to_a_tenancy_when_the_tenant_dies

Can your friend explain the situation and ask for (and afford?) an extension on the tenancy for the next few months? I'm not sure if house viewings are essential travel so the landlord would be losing money otherwise - if the sublet wasnt known about that might be a sore point. If you think its appropriate maybe talking to them on their behalf might work (if his background is an issue), what does your friend think?

I jokingly told him to just change the locks and hole up. Cheers for those links. At the moment I'm trying to get a list of things for him to go through tomorrow. Shelter seems the first one, just to see if they can tell him where he stands, then try and negotiate something amicable with the landlord, if only for another month. I'm guessing the landlord might be in a sticky situation with stuff like landlord insurance though? Might need the property empty to claim anything? I'll find out tomorrow. He also needs to talk to A's family about all his stuff. He didn't know what's going on with that.

Such a lovely situation.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/apr/19/labour-party-financial-peril-keir-starmer-members-leaked-report

If my donations end up going into the pockets of the saboteurs I will be pretty pissed.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

justcola posted:

Whenever I'm talking to people I throw around August as the end of this quarantine, then another one over Christmas (based on nowt much). Anything beyond June seems unpalatable to folk, then I bore them further with saying if we lift the lockdown too early we'll have to go into another one then all of this will have been for nothing.

The evilest talking heads are already pushing hard to end the social distancing and it's not like our rulers are long-term thinkers, as soon as the curve looks somewhat flattened they'll fold to their donors.

The unpredictable thing is that the government so far has been completely reactive, they actively said gatherings and events were fine until every event took it upon themselves to cancel. If, I'd argue when but whatever, the government does decide to end social distancing too early will people actually do it? The people suffering most under this are the poor who don't have much disposable income to spend anyway, the more impactful consumer base is comfortable enough to be very wait-and-see about an early end.

My suspicion is that the consent manufacturing machine will go brr hard that the lockdown should end, and the tension will be amalgamated arguments of 'eggheads that want us to keep hiding' and 'skivers want to keep bunking off!' vs 'blitz spirit lets get back to life doesn't the wife suck haha' and 'The True Pain Of Lockdown fake concern'.

The ruling class 100% does not want an anti-work sentiment to set in at any level and stepping down hard on that poo poo will be a priority.

Vitamin P fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 19, 2020

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Prince John posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/apr/19/labour-party-financial-peril-keir-starmer-members-leaked-report

If my donations end up going into the pockets of the saboteurs I will be pretty pissed.

If they cannot/will not be punished, they will be rewarded, lest starmer look weak to the rest of those machiavellian fucks

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Ben Soosneb posted:

I jokingly told him to just change the locks and hole up.

Such a lovely situation.

I reckon he should do that as a backup if nothing else. Also crack on with all the other stuff, show willing with the landlord etc. I mean... He's just had to find and deal with the dead body of some one he knows. Depends how sub human they landlord is but...

Good luck

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

I dunno, I think Lego's an outlier because it started out as a gender neutral thing, and when I was a kid they still had the plain MODEL 0130 SMALL HOUSE WITH GARAGE line, but they were already into the shooty space mans stuff and whatever else. It just caught up with everything else later

Gender reveal parties only really seem like a thing because people are more widely questioning gender and why it matters so much at all - I dunno how prevalent they were before, but I feel like that's more of a modern social media spectacle thing where the reveal is an event with impact. People definitely used to care about that, and you'd have announcement parties and gender themed baby showers and whatever, it just wasn't *huge pickup rolling pink coal arrives*

But yeah toys and stuff were always super gendered, maybe that's got worse in some ways (because marketing knows a good thing) but I think it's also got better, in terms of more questioning and more of a pushback, y'know? Maybe that's not leading to big changes on the shelves yet, but people are definitely trying to make different choices and resist these boxes instead of seeing it as normal. Change is a slow process but you can see it happening
I think as other posters have said this kind of thing comes in waves.

Certain toys have always been gendered as long as they've been around, like Die For Your Country Man for boys and Baby Piss Pants for girls, but like science and tech toys (because of course I had some of those) there was a world of difference between my dad's meccano sets I had, where the packaging and advertising almost looked like a pisstake of the late 50s* and the 'build an electronic' stuff of the late 80s, which was very much full first wave of political correctness and took pains to have representation the box**.

Now we seem to have got to the stage where even some of the science toys are gender segregated. Like I'm 100% in support of more women doing STEM and more women with STEM qualifications designing toys to get girls into that, but 'make it pink and add glitter or makeup***' is not that. As you say, marketing knows a 'good' thing.

Same with kinder eggs and happy meal toys, they seem to be really bigging up the gender binary with princesses vs. cars poo poo. Maybe they're on the back foot, but it really seems like it's reinforcing the binary for no material gain, unless it really is selling additional chocolate eggs.

* seriously, look at meccano dad

** white girl is explaining the equation for why there's never any BAME girls on the boxes, you're either 'an ethnic' XOR 'a female' in 80s adverts.

*** this is a jewellery set. I have nothing against toy jewellery sets but let's call it what it is

endlessmonotony posted:

So has the Brexit situation gone from "they will buy our cakes" to "there will be adequate food" to "if you find food for sale you're still legally allowed to buy it"?

What's next?
"We never said there'd be food."

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

"We never said there'd be food."

"Don't you already have blue passports?!?"

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

happyhippy posted:

"Don't you already have blue passports?!?"

They're certainly pretty useful right now, lmbo.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/frankieboyle/status/1251921313830182912

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

build your own trap to catch spiderman!

See that electronics kit to me is less a toy and more of an educational thing, so the box looks more like something to catch the eye of a school or a parent. It's not really marketing, at least not to kids (not in general anyway, maybe the ones who are excited about group projects)

The glitter thing is definitely aimed at kids though, and it looks like one of things they started doing in the 90s I think? Where they made a thing and there was a boy's version that was about SERIOUS SCIENCE and BUILDING, and then there was a girl's version of the exact same thing only with sparkles and pastel colours that was about PRETTY THINGS. That poo poo's definitely been around for a good while

And just from a quick google of science kits, there's a lot of modern general ones with girls and/or boys on them too. There's also a lot of shouty boys (doing the mobile game logo face) on science kits that go BOOM or whatever too, but those are obviously going for the gendered marketing. Honestly I think that's the big difference now - there used to be non-gendered toys, and toys for girls, and other toys for boys. But then marketers realised they didn't always need different products, they could just sell the same thing to everyone but as gendered versions for more effectiveness and to make more money, like with the pink tax

check this out though

just some normal non-gendered chemistry kit but wait is that representations of electron orbitals in the background? I did double science in high school and didn't hear about quantum stuff til years later. A new age!

... get the hell out of here Bohr!

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Skarsnik posted:

I guess my idea of normality has 'having a haircut' pretty low down on the list, its so odd to me

who gives a poo poo?

I don't really give a poo poo personally, but for a lot of people this kind of thing is their "self-care" and they get spun out if they can't do it. Like it's not just the actual looking nice, it's the process, it's a ritual, it's feeling good about yourself.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Corbyn not only let explicit wreckers go un-purged, he personally intervened to save and protect one of their leaders. He would have done jack poo poo about the press.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

A pipe is an excellent complement to a moustache

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

The glitter thing is definitely aimed at kids though, and it looks like one of things they started doing in the 90s I think? Where they made a thing and there was a boy's version that was about SERIOUS SCIENCE and BUILDING, and then there was a girl's version of the exact same thing only with sparkles and pastel colours that was about PRETTY THINGS. That poo poo's definitely been around for a good while
Yeah, that's the soft sexism bit that really gets me with that, within the current social environment, there's usually the implication that the pink version is somehow lesser.

baka kaba posted:

Honestly I think that's the big difference now - there used to be non-gendered toys, and toys for girls, and other toys for boys. But then marketers realised they didn't always need different products, they could just sell the same thing to everyone but as gendered versions for more effectiveness and to make more money, like with the pink tax
I think that's hit the nail on the head. There were always (at least after the days when toys were whip and tops and wooden animals) gendered toys, but there was an era where there were some toys that were just toys. The marketers might put more or less effort into diversity in the advertising, but there wasn't massive 'boys/girls go away' symbology on them, and there's definitely been less of those in the 00s/10s, to the point where there's been counter campaigns like Let Toys Be Toys (and yes, it's in part a Mumsnet thing, but this is the good side of gender critical theory, I'm not sure if TERFs have since crept in).

baka kaba posted:

check this out though

just some normal non-gendered chemistry kit but wait is that representations of electron orbitals in the background? I did double science in high school and didn't hear about quantum stuff til years later. A new age!

... get the hell out of here Bohr!
That is cool. We did electron orbitals at A Level and got to watch a p orbital being built one dot at a time on a BBC Micro loaded from 5¼ floppy from some long departed student, introducing it early is a good thing I think.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ThomasPaine posted:

to my eternal shame I loving love mccoys, I'll see myself to the wall

They're my favourite crisps but mostly because the tyrrells ridgey ones don't come in single serving packs and walkers are kind of anaemic

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's kind of baffling (I overuse "mind-boggling") that the two groups of people who get the absolute pissiest when they're asked why they're walking into the hospital are:

1) patients rocking up for dialysis
2) staff

The sheer offense that some of these cunts take when security have to literally chase after them to find out why they've marched through, ignoring everyone is just :psyduck:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
The Sun knows where the priorities of the nation lie (see page 4):

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/TheSun/status/1251986188866596864?s=19

PUBS CLOSED TIL XMAS

596 dead see page 4

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/HackneyAbbott/status/1251954630436835328?s=19

Diane's conservatory is bloody massive!

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Always nice to see "Bob" at work.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
A few pages back someone asked about recommended hair clippers and I don't think there was an answer. The answer is Wahl. Make sure you buy a mains one, as you only need your clippers to stop mid-cut once to never use a rechargable again. Plus the mains one has got some balls, and will cut through anything.

Should be able to pick one up at Amazon. like these.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I want to make a little collection of the front page splats from the red tops.

I still remember the one where the headline was something like WE MUST BOMB SYRIA and the little pop out had a picture of the young lad who washed up on the beach and it said "do it for aylan" underneath.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
On Page 3.
Sharon from Hull (tastefully only wearing a face mask and latex gloves) says "I do not know how I am going to cope with pubs being closed til christmas"

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 20, 2020

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

https://twitter.com/michaeljswalker/status/1251944185252450305

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

kingturnip posted:

It's kind of baffling (I overuse "mind-boggling") that the two groups of people who get the absolute pissiest when they're asked why they're walking into the hospital are:

1) patients rocking up for dialysis
2) staff

The sheer offense that some of these cunts take when security have to literally chase after them to find out why they've marched through, ignoring everyone is just :psyduck:

tbf I'd take offense when asked why I'm going into a hospital, I'd assume anyone with half a wit would realize it's because of one of three possibilities:

A) I work there
B) I'm visiting someone there
C) I need hospital treatment

Unless someone's actually being lairy (i.e. a drunk lout in A&E) why is there any need for a random security bod to know anything? We're not America where they're probably a week away from someone doing a mass shooting in a cancer ward or something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

At the moment I would suspect that they probably aren't allowing visitation, at the least.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

but but but

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Who the gently caress is reopening schools just as they break for the summer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Sun.