Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I think I sorta asked this already but are your reccos for a password manager that plays nice with MacOS, iOS, windows, chrome and less savvy computer people? Auto magic syncing across devices is standard for all of them right? And (initial) keychain import is impossible for any of them right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

I think I sorta asked this already but are your reccos for a password manager that plays nice with MacOS, iOS, windows, chrome and less savvy computer people? Auto magic syncing across devices is standard for all of them right? And (initial) keychain import is impossible for any of them right?

1Password, subscription is probably best for less savvy computer people.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

1password is stupid simple and my recommendation, but Bitwarden and LastPass and both free and good enough as well.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I don't mind paying a fee. How do the free ones make money? Ads?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Shaocaholica posted:

I don't mind paying a fee. How do the free ones make money? Ads?

LastPass has a premium plan with extra features, but everything you really need comes with the free plan (they moved multi-platform sync from paid to free at some point).

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

1Password is fantastic. I’ve been using them for years but I had a particularly good couple of customer experiences lately. First I had paid for the standalone versions and synced with free Dropbox. Once Dropbox started limiting how many devices you could link to a free account, I figured it was okay to pay 1P and silo them off from the rest of my cloud storage. I emailed them and they happily converted the full original value of my standalone licenses into credit, which prepaid for years of service. Recently also I wanted to share 1Password with a friend and converting to the family plan was just a few clicks and no problems. Everything really just works. Except the web is messy so you still have to manually manage your entries somewhat frequently if you want one click login across both mobile apps and desktop web.

Really happy with their service IMO.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Pivo posted:

Except the web is messy so you still have to manually manage your entries somewhat frequently if you want one click login across both mobile apps and desktop web.

Not sure what this means? One click login? I'm fine with just clicking on the username field and having a sub menu show up with "fill with password!" like safari does.

e: does 1password also store credit card info like keychain?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 19, 2020

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Not sure what this means? One click login? I'm fine with just clicking on the username field and having a sub menu show up with "fill with password!" like safari does.

e: does 1password also store credit card info like keychain?

It can store CC info, bank account info, software licenses, encrypted notes, social security numbers, even files as attachments I think. It does OTP generation for 2FA.

One click login I mean - if you are using an app, like your banking app, and your cursor is in the username/password form, you want a popup that says 'Use your login from 1Password?'. Similarly if you're on desktop, if you go to the 1Password client, you can click an entry and 'Open and fill' which basically automatically logs you into the website - super handy - but you can also right click on the form and ask 1Password to autofill, and you want it to know which elements of the form to fill out on the page and you want it to know that this page has access to the passwords for that domain. So that's a bit finicky to figure out with some sites, where the domain might be different between different login forms, especially if you want to also automatically log into the app on both iOS and Android. Android I think allows you to link the entry to a mobile ID of some sort, and apps on iOS seem to go by the domain name, so sometimes if the app uses a different domain name than the desktop site you'll have to add it manually.

edit: And don't get me started on two-stage forms, where you have to invoke 1P manually for each stage. Oh and register forms that ask for an email but then assign you a user ID - 1P has no way of knowing.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 19, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Small White Dragon posted:

On an unrelated note, does exFAT have terrible overhead? I was trying to backup large folders on some old machines to external SSD drives before we resell them, and when I changed them from exFAT to APFS the copy time went from hours to minutes. :psyduck:

This is exactly what I meant about copies between different file systems. exFAT itself is fine, it's the conversion from APFS to exFAT that adds the massive overhead. A copy between two exFAT external SSDs would also take minutes. Moving between file systems, the CPU has to do work to convert between different block sizes. Between the same file system, the CPU just tells the drive controller which block to move.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

mllaneza posted:

This is exactly what I meant about copies between different file systems. exFAT itself is fine, it's the conversion from APFS to exFAT that adds the massive overhead. A copy between two exFAT external SSDs would also take minutes. Moving between file systems, the CPU has to do work to convert between different block sizes. Between the same file system, the CPU just tells the drive controller which block to move.

I don't understand how the 'conversion' is all that complicated. It's just the metadata that's different. The file payload is the same bit for bit.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
1pw kicks rear end and their support is great

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I use Lastpass and it's free. Seems great and can't imagine what more features I want.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
1Password has been my stalwart companion for five laptops and three desktops over 15 years (if I'm remembering correctly I ran literally v1.something on a G4 Powerbook). I am well into the triple digits in licence costs and I'd not feel ripped off if I find I go into the fours some day (which I just might if they finally convince me to buy one of their subscriptions, which they just might since Dropbox is starting to get pissy). It is a truly indispensable piece of software and backed by very good people.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 20, 2020

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i love 1pw and i hope their taking venture capital doesn't turn them into poo poo - generally anything the start-up world touches turns to poo poo eventually

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Hello, the OP hasn't updated in two years and I have just updated from El Capitan (I am significantly worse) so have lost my beloved uBlock Origins extension on Safari

Is 1blocker still the go to content blocker? Looking at the limitations it seems like it might be better to jump browsers to Chrome or Firefox and use uBlock Origins?

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
Is there a way to tell Safari to stop complaining about high memory usage in a tab? I'm playing board games in a maximised window and the bar keeps popping up every five minutes.

I know it's using a lot of memory, I don't care. Apart from the warning, the game ran fine for like four hours yesterday, so it's not causing any problems.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ratjaculation posted:

Is 1blocker still the go to content blocker? Looking at the limitations it seems like it might be better to jump browsers to Chrome or Firefox and use uBlock Origins?
Personally I've found AdGuard to be great. Uses the same blocking rules as uBlock so you can just import your custom filters and keep on truckin'

Edit: If you're comfortable doing something slightly more technical then the pro-level nuclear option is to set up a Pi Hole to eliminate ads from every device on your network.

TACD fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 20, 2020

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Compared to a browser-based adblocker, a pi-hole is less effective.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

phosdex posted:

Compared to a browser-based adblocker, a pi-hole is less effective.

I'm not going to bother debating the merits of this argument, but if you are technical enough to be in this thread, why wouldn't you?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Crunchy Black posted:

I'm not going to bother debating the merits of this argument, but if you are technical enough to be in this thread, why wouldn't you?

I don't get what you're asking. If you can you should be running an adblocker in your browser as it is more effective than running without one and only relying on pi-hole.

I have a pi-hole on my network but I use Firefox with ublock on all of my computers because it will block things pi-hole cannot.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Yea they solve different problems for sure, both is better than either one alone.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I just use a HOSTS file

Only drawback is referral links don't work sometimes on deal sites.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Pi Hole's nice because it works for any device connecting to your network with no config after setting the pi hole up initially. Works great on older devices that don't really have modern adblocking techniques. But yeah that combined with a browser adblocker is best

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

TACD posted:

Yea they solve different problems for sure, both is better than either one alone.

The pi-hole just takes load off of your network and the local ad blocker so yeah, why wouldn't you?

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 20, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Shaocaholica posted:

I don't understand how the 'conversion' is all that complicated. It's just the metadata that's different. The file payload is the same bit for bit.

It's in how the files are actually laid down on the disk. File systems structure the physical bits on the drive into "blocks", which have their own structure underneath that of the files they're going to contain. Different file systems have a different block structure. The block structure is overlaid onto the sectors that are a function of the actual drive in use.

Converting between files, blocks, and sectors adds a surprising amount of overhead since it has to be done for every file operation.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ok I'm checking out 1password but it just dawned on me that chrome stores passwords and credit cards. What down sides are there to just using my google account to store that info and using chrome on all my devices? I guess I'm not used to using chrome on my iOS devices so I'm not sure how good/bad the integration is. And I'll be locked to chrome which I don't see as a bad thing currently but maybe it might get bad.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Ok I'm checking out 1password but it just dawned on me that chrome stores passwords and credit cards. What down sides are there to just using my google account to store that info and using chrome on all my devices? I guess I'm not used to using chrome on my iOS devices so I'm not sure how good/bad the integration is. And I'll be locked to chrome which I don't see as a bad thing currently but maybe it might get bad.

no ad-blocking on ios chrome

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Weedle posted:

no ad-blocking on ios chrome

Does iOS safari ad block by default or do you need to do a thing for that?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

download an ad blocker like 1blocker from the app store and it'll walk you through setting it up. it's a system-level thing they introduced in ios 9 but it only works in safari

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
or,
https://github.com/rajannpatel/Pi-Hole-PiVPN-on-Google-Compute-Engine-Free-Tier-with-Full-Tunnel-and-Split-Tunnel-OpenVPN-Configs

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Is modern adblocking also tracker blocking? I don’t really care about ads, but I definitely don’t want trackers.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Has anyone tried the Stop The Madness extension? Seems to do a bit of nice unfucking:

https://underpassapp.com/StopTheMadness/

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
3,1 and 8800GT are useless in Mojave. Hopefully the new 640GT GPU helps.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Toe Rag posted:

Is modern adblocking also tracker blocking? I don’t really care about ads, but I definitely don’t want trackers.

Generally, yes

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Fedule posted:

I was able to copy my entire library folder over, and also the library database, and initialise Apple Music using that library. It correctly imported all my tracks, playlists, history, etc. I don't know what's up with Music's file organising feature; when I run Consolidate, it moves everything into ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media, but whenever I play or otherwise interact with something it moves back to ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music. That's weird but since everything's currently in Music I think it's good.

Amusingly, I'm doing almost the exact same thing as you, just a handful of days later. So, sorry about the late reply.

I'm also noticing this split, and it's giving me headaches because some albums for whatever reason don't update their metadata correctly on an organize. It makes no sense to me why it can't actually decide where things are supposed to go.

I even made a post about it in the iTunes thread, not sure of where else to ask for help with my woes.

quote:

The problem is all of my album artwork is not showing.

I did have a lot of luck with This Re-Embed Artwork Script with Music. After running it on an album, it refreshes Music to grab the album artwork that was always there.

I am on the whole rather unhappy with how much of a mess Music is, especially if you have an old, large library of downloaded songs.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Catalina only :sigh:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Ratjaculation posted:

Hello, the OP hasn't updated in two years and I have just updated from El Capitan (I am significantly worse) so have lost my beloved uBlock Origins extension on Safari

I use Wipr.
uBlock Origin on Firefox is going to be better though.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Chris Knight posted:

Has anyone tried the Stop The Madness extension? Seems to do a bit of nice unfucking:

I couldn’t pay for this fast enough. Does exactly what it says and makes all those annoying as gently caress sites so much better. Plus you can have custom config sets if a particular site isn’t happy with it. Only thing I’ve come across so far is in Google Hangouts (Meet? Idk) each chat participant would get video controls on them. Everything else had been bliss.

Oh the warning when pasting into limited length password fields :discourse:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can't remember the last time a site hosed my interface like what STM is describing -- I thought that poo poo died with old-web.

Maybe I just don't browse the right sites.

(anecdotal, I'm sure plenty of sites disable functionality etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Chris Knight posted:

Gruber just plugged it the other day

quote:

Fortune sort of has the article behind a paywall, but the text can be selected and copied from behind the paywall banner intended to obscure all but the opening paragraph. I’d like to think this is purposely porous as a courtesy, but it’s probably just slipshod work. UPDATE: Turns out my ability to select and copy the ostensibly paywalled text was the result of neither benevolence nor ineptitude (per se) on Fortune’s part — it’s in fact the result of my use of Jeff Johnson’s excellent StopTheMadness browser extension.