Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

President Beep posted:

bowls is rocks clay yamahas with food inside

any bowl full of five pounds of seething black thoraxes and mandibles is hysterical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Agile Vector posted:

best buy will do curb side loading for online orders and wont let anyone in the store

it’s because they’re being used as equipment warehouses for the secret government 5g rollout while we’re all in quarantine op

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

any bowl full of five pounds of seething black thoraxes and mandibles is hysterical

lol that one was good

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

So this is fascinating as poo poo but could also be a mixture of caffeine + an interesting problem that I can't solve but want to

:siren: THIS ARTICLE TALKS ABOUT HOW THE VIRUS KILL FOLKS :siren:

How Coronavirus Kills

Interesting takeaways. I am not a doctor.
  • quote:

Despite the more than 1000 papers now spilling into journals and onto preprint servers every week, a clear picture is elusive, as the virus acts like no microbe humanity has ever seen. Without larger, prospective controlled studies that are only now being launched, scientists must pull information from small studies and case reports, often published at warp speed and not yet peer reviewed. “We need to keep a very open mind as this phenomenon goes forward,” says Nancy Reau, a liver transplant physician who has been treating COVID-19 patients at Rush University Medical Center. “We are still learning.”

• The rona CAN possibly trigger a cytokine storm which essentially gets your immune system to attack healthy cells. Chloroquine can be used to treat some autoimmune disorders because it mildly suppresses the immune system, essentially suppressing this storm IF it happens. Chloroquine definitely looks like a false positive.
  • quote:

Mangalmurti says she has been “shocked by the fact that we don’t have a huge number of asthmatics” or patients with other respiratory diseases in HUP’s ICU. “It’s very striking to us that risk factors seem to be vascular: diabetes, obesity, age, hypertension.”
  • quote:

The worldwide fears of ventilator shortages for failing lungs have received plenty of attention. Not so a scramble for another type of equipment: dialysis machines. “If these folks are not dying of lung failure, they’re dying of renal failure,” says neurologist Jennifer Frontera of New York University’s Langone Medical Center ...
  • quote:

Ventilators boost the risk of kidney damage, as do antiviral drugs including remdesivir, which is being deployed experimentally in COVID-19 patients.
  • quote:

:stare: Some COVID-19 patients have strokes, seizures, mental confusion, and brain inflammation. Doctors are trying to understand which are directly caused by the virus.
  • Apparently they see really low o2 sat levels but people aren't gasping for air because the virus seems to prevent the uptake of o2 from inside the lungs.

I think this sort of thing is called a virus' pathology but I am not sure.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

thank you for your insight, computer man

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
page 88: im kind of sick of everyone online being a health expert overnight

page 89: *kicks down door* IM NOT A DOCTOR, BUT...

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lookit mister fancy computerman what thinks he's so smart with the "posting a hyper link" and all that city boy bullshit. bet you think you're smart boy

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

almost like the problem with the post wasn't the link

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
loving idiot computer men posting covid19 GARBAGE in the covid19 thread in the computer man forum

christ

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
lol if you cant understand the difference between elon musking a crisis and talking about it with your peers

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I'm not a doctor, but I think kidney failure is bad?

I'm not a lawyer, but I think committing crimes is illegal?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

I'm not a lawyer, but I think committing crimes is illegal?

it is if you’re poor

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Corla Plankun posted:

lol if you cant understand the difference between elon musking a crisis and talking about it with your peers

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
my only peers are behind seven proxies

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
for the record, my issue was with middle managers and tractor supply warehouse owners saying things like "based on the newest publication in Lancet, EO-235V, the numbers for the delta-168 protein uptake are at variance with the official CDC numbers, and this really shows that $POLICY_DECISION is really far past due"

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

my issue is that i’m a dumb dipshit and so no one should ever listen to anything i say write or type

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

don't worry we don't

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Uptime Sinclair posted:

my issue is that i’m a dumb dipshit and so no one should ever listen to anything i say write or type
way ahead of you there, friendo

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

nicotine prevents covid its the cool and refreshing truth they dont want you to know

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

lol man yall wild

If I bothered anyone with my words my bad. I felt like I learned a thing I didn't know and thought about sharing. I'll get better about lurking more.

syntaxrigger fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 20, 2020

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I felt a pang of loss for the old world today. I went on a business trip last year and met a bunch of fun and interesting co-workers who were also from all over the place. Sad that is an experience I will not be repeating..ever again?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

syntaxrigger posted:

lol man yall wild

If I bothered anyone with my words my bad. I felt like I learned a thing I didn't know and thought about sharing. I'll get better about lurking more.

your posts were no worse than anyone elses (other than mine of course because my posts are the best), please do not worry about it

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

abigserve posted:

I felt a pang of loss for the old world today. I went on a business trip last year and met a bunch of fun and interesting co-workers who were also from all over the place. Sad that is an experience I will not be repeating..ever again?

I had a similar experience 2 weeks ago. I thought of my last few offsite events to the SF bay area and all those restaurants near the office just being closed down. On separate trips years apart I went to some particular restaurants and I remember that the same people were still the waiters and bartenders and now they're all unemployed with the business likely gone.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 20, 2020

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if we pull out of this i'm going to be living a simpler life where i buy cheaper things and enjoy them more. i have always been super uncomfortable going on trips to sf and we drag nine people out for a seven hundred dollar dinner where it just becomes a volume war between the 3 drunkest ppl at the table. i dont really get $48 of enjoyment out of a piece of fish the size of a dollar bill and i have to specify if i want sparkling or alkaline water

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

sounds like someone chose the wrong water

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
nah

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I promise you that everything will go back to normal, in the worst possible way.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Idk there’s something about the $200/person dinner with the additional $200/person wine pairing and $50 cheese sample, and however much for pre dinner drinks

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
nah. you can't just reopen ten thousand restaurants because you want to back to NoRmaL

all those owners will have ruined credit. like five million people that had clean rental records will now have an eviction on file. that means that combined with the fact that landlords credit check now means we will have millions of formerly productive people dying in cardboard boxes

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jonny 290 posted:

if we pull out of this i'm going to be living a simpler life where i buy cheaper things and enjoy them more. i have always been super uncomfortable going on trips to sf and we drag nine people out for a seven hundred dollar dinner where it just becomes a volume war between the 3 drunkest ppl at the table. i dont really get $48 of enjoyment out of a piece of fish the size of a dollar bill and i have to specify if i want sparkling or alkaline water

i'm glad that you're thinking in term of how you'd like to live your life going forward. seems like a healthy direction.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

rotor posted:

your posts were no worse than anyone elses (other than mine of course because my posts are the best), please do not worry about it

That makes sense. Thanks. Still feel like I should have known better and just posted the link or something.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I thinking the bourgeois places will weather between ongoing adapted patronage and a desire to “keep things as they were” but a lot of others will get wiped

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Restaurants and bars will re-open because people want to go out. There will be far less of them but they will still exists.

Cafes are going to get obliterated because nobody is going to be in the city at lunchtime anymore

mystes
May 31, 2006

Most restaurants don't last very long anyway. New ones will open when this is over.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it costs a quarter million dollars to open a restaurant in like loving arkansas. I hope that yall are right but i do not expect 90% of nonwhite owned restaurants to come back, which basically means all of the good ones.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

idk man even in the BeforeTimes restaurants seem to open & close pretty regularly

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i mean like yeah poo poo is bad but i mean civilization as we know it is gonna pretty much just keep on keepin on

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

poo poo I still get food to take out 2-3 times a week, lotsa restaurants are doin ok. not great, but ok.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
consumerism bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
maybe if you do residence restaurants where you have like eight bunks in the back for your homeless staff. couple of shower stalls, get a ps4 back there