Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Dammit, anyone know what we can spray to get rid of Techbros?

Covid 19 coronavirus: Rich Americans flee to NZ to try to escape pandemic

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12326015]

Time to start that Build-Your-Own-Guillotine business, I guess.

Love the specificity of "marauder." Is that an upgraded looter wearing hockey armor?

What if the tech millionaires/billionaires just spent their money on making sure people wouldn't go hungry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fallom posted:

Love the specificity of "marauder." Is that an upgraded looter wearing hockey armor?

What if the tech millionaires/billionaires just spent their money on making sure people wouldn't go hungry?

Nah gotta get that high score that literally nobody gives a gently caress about except Forbes.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Dammit, anyone know what we can spray to get rid of Techbros?

Covid 19 coronavirus: Rich Americans flee to NZ to try to escape pandemic

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12326015]

Time to start that Build-Your-Own-Guillotine business, I guess.

Should've posted their US addresses. I wouldn't mind squatting a mansion for a bit.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

More protests and some bad news in KY

https://mobile.twitter.com/jason_a_w/status/1252007751342936065

https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/status/1251933833173204992

https://mobile.twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1252034292571668483

quote:

Democratic Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear announced Sunday that the state had set a grim record with 273 new confirmed cases of the coronavirus, the highest single-day rise to date. Kentucky's increase in infected individuals comes after protesters took to the streets throughout the week to call for the state to be reopened.

With the 273 additional confirmed infections, Kentucky now has 2,960 cases of the novel virus and 1,122 recoveries. Beshear also announced four new deaths on Sunday, bringing the total number of fatalities across the state to 148.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

its infection is gonna shoot up so hard.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So decided to search the Olympia protest

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

^^
Always great to see pics of my hometown! Full of dumb protests as usual.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Uh no, he didn’t free them until god loving killed his firstborn son

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ewiley posted:

Also he freed them to leave, they didn't end up first-class Egyptian citizens

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

ewiley posted:

I have heard the people's plight however my son still lives so.....

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
I am continually impressed by the biblical knowledge of this thread.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Alamoduh posted:

Fox News is the #1 news outlet in the US by viewers. Which makes the “mainstream media” echo chamber rants more amazing.

#1 cable news channel.

they still get less ratings than prime time shows on basic tv channels or news on basic channels . Also a bunch of white noise tv screens in airports and resturants shouldnt really count

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Being asked to stay at home is so similar to life ending slave labour guys. Jeez

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

The resemblance to the tea party bullshit is too uncanny to be mere coincidence.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

eggyolk posted:

The resemblance to the tea party bullshit is too uncanny to be mere coincidence.

??? they're literally all the same people. Tea party -> MAGA is 1:1

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
also canada had the worst mass shooting in their history today

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-suspect-in-active-shooter-investigation-in-portapique-ns-is-under/

"only" 16 dead

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/dcwoodruff/status/1251968835835527169?s=20

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Do you want an honest answer? Because I think your throwing in with Eyman is answer enough.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

https://twitter.com/leftflankvets/status/1252033063753842688?s=21

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
The bigger turnout to the Olympia rally is kind of a bummer since I've been telling myself it was mostly astroturfing and a scraping of only the most awful :tinfoil: types.

I'm just not sure what you even do about this. You can't even lean on Schadenfreude since these are the same idiots who are wandering around hardware stores and supermarkets breathing on employees because they can't be alone with their thoughts for an hour.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

catlord posted:

Do you want an honest answer? Because I think your throwing in with Eyman is answer enough.

Anyone who trusts Tim Eyman has such limited mental faculties that they should be probably be under the legal guardianship of a normal family member or perhaps the state if none exist.

Also I'm incredibly sad to note that my father has gotten wrapped up in this poo poo just like when he got into the tea party poo poo. He's not going to rallies but he's advanced from making vague supportive comments to boosting memes on Facebook. gently caress.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 20, 2020

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

This is just horrible. They’ve got a beached whale right there and nobody’s doing a thing about it. loving conservatives

DeeplyConcerned fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 20, 2020

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been on doxxing on these people. It isn't like they are trying to hide their terribleness or anything.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Would this poo poo have been reduced at all had Congress just established guaranteed income for people furloughed or laid off? I get that a lot of this is boomers being told “no” for the first time in their lives and throwing an absolute fit over not being able to go to the mall, but a lot of them are using the unemployment numbers to back-up their tantrums.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Dude apparently was driving around in an imitation police car and wearing a homemade Mountie outfit :psyduck:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Pants Donkey posted:

Would this poo poo have been reduced at all had Congress just established guaranteed income for people furloughed or laid off? I get that a lot of this is boomers being told “no” for the first time in their lives and throwing an absolute fit over not being able to go to the mall, but a lot of them are using the unemployment numbers to back-up their tantrums.

No, it's entirely (astroturfed) tantrum throwing over being told to do something.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

So decided to search the Olympia protest

Tim Eyman? Why does this dipshit keep turning up in PNW politics? Hasn't like literally everything he's tried to accomplish been thrown out in court or failed to even make it to a ballot? He's like the Dino Rossi of being people who aren't already Dino Rossi :psyduck:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

What's the NASA shirt? Some flat earth thing?

edit: Found it. Called it.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 20, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Zesty posted:

What's the NASA shirt? Some flat earth thing?

Yes. You can buy it on Redbubble and it says "NOT REAL, We checked" over a picture of the globe. The person selling them has a whole catalog of flat Earth, anti-vax, anti-science, anti-media conservative talking point checklist merch for sale.

e: Yeah ^

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fallom posted:

It's the palette swap at level 15.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

As the person who has to work to give these idiots a place they so desperately wish to exercise their important, consumerist freedom in, I've never been so angry in my life.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Pants Donkey posted:

100% no.

These people aren't protesting reality.

They have no real grievance.

They're being told to do something for the greater good which they absolutely cannot abide by.

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012

Crain posted:

100% no.

These people aren't protesting reality.

They have no real grievance.

They're being told to do something for the greater good which they absolutely cannot abide by.

Exactly. They're literally in a crowd outside yelling that no one is letting them go outside and get into a crowd.

It is just so surreal.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
All these retired boomers telling everyone to get back to work is pure comedy.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
That facial image recognition company could make a killing if they could properly identify all the chuds in these images and sell the lists to the populations of the respective cities as “people who now most likely have Covid-19 and also who you should stay the gently caress away from.”

Hell, health insurance companies would probably love to start denying claims by saying these people were breaking the law while protesting, so I’m surprised we haven’t yet seen anything like that.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah. The people who are really struggling are too busy struggling to post spicy memes or do these dumbass protests.

I sincerely think it may be some existential crises triggering, something something the hollowness of American life. Normally I'd feel like I was just doing :goonsay: for that, but if you look at these complaints none of them are for anything important. No one's airing real grievances. It's that they can't go to the playground, or go to the beach, or get a haircut, or go to the loving Texas Roadhouse. There were a few events I was really looking forward to in the summer that are almost certainly going to be canceled. It sucks, I said it sucks, I moved on to other things.

There's just a fundamental breakdown in people dealing with this. My sister's been a steady window into that worldview, since she's been calling my mom a lot, not to check on her or my really at-risk father, but to complain constantly. She won't stop talking about May 1st because it will magically sweep the virus away. She keeps saying how great it'll be after the 1st when her kids can visit their friends. She gets all neighborhood watch on anyone she sees hanging out outside, not because they're being stupid, but because it's not fair that they get to socialize when she "can't." She keeps making up errands so that she can wander around stores. She bought a bunch of plants so she could spend all weekend gardening so that everything could get wrecked by frost. She's sad that her kids haven't been outside. She's sad that her kids didn't want to go powerwalking with her and their dad, and no she couldn't just walk slower for them.

It's just an alien worldview.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Madkal posted:

I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been on doxxing on these people. It isn't like they are trying to hide their terribleness or anything.

That would require wearing a mask and they just can't have that now can they.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Yeah. The people who are really struggling are too busy struggling to post spicy memes or do these dumbass protests.

I sincerely think it may be some existential crises triggering, something something the hollowness of American life. Normally I'd feel like I was just doing :goonsay: for that, but if you look at these complaints none of them are for anything important. No one's airing real grievances. It's that they can't go to the playground, or go to the beach, or get a haircut, or go to the loving Texas Roadhouse. There were a few events I was really looking forward to in the summer that are almost certainly going to be canceled. It sucks, I said it sucks, I moved on to other things.

There's just a fundamental breakdown in people dealing with this. My sister's been a steady window into that worldview, since she's been calling my mom a lot, not to check on her or my really at-risk father, but to complain constantly. She won't stop talking about May 1st because it will magically sweep the virus away. She keeps saying how great it'll be after the 1st when her kids can visit their friends. She gets all neighborhood watch on anyone she sees hanging out outside, not because they're being stupid, but because it's not fair that they get to socialize when she "can't." She keeps making up errands so that she can wander around stores. She bought a bunch of plants so she could spend all weekend gardening so that everything could get wrecked by frost. She's sad that her kids haven't been outside. She's sad that her kids didn't want to go powerwalking with her and their dad, and no she couldn't just walk slower for them.

It's just an alien worldview.

It's consumerism and it's a disease of late-stage capitalism

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Fritz the Horse posted:

It's consumerism and it's a disease of late-stage capitalism

People are being forced the wrestle with the fact that they have incredibly unhappy lives and are doing anything to avoid having to deal with introspection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

......She won't stop talking about May 1st because it will magically sweep the virus away. She keeps saying how great it'll be after the 1st when her kids can visit their friends......

So I wrote a big effort post on facebook for friends and coworkers about isolation, cabin fever, and the like when the stay at home stuff first started. I'm not a real expert on the subject, but I did have some tips to share from the time I went to Antarctica for work since it was part of the initial training we did before we left/once we got there. You know, cause they don't want you losing your goddamned mind at the bottom of the world 2000+ miles from the nearest piece of civilization. Most of it was fairly obvious stuff like keeping busy, have a hobby to do, etc. There was one thing however that I felt was really important: Not setting an end date for your "release".

When I was down there you were either on the bases as a transit, staying in a base long enough to get to another base like the south pole station, or you were there to do a job for a vaguely defined period of time. I was on a science team so I was there till the project finished. That could have been two weeks, it could have been two months, it could have been longer. Everyone had a different timetable and the nature of the weather down there meant there couldn't really be a guaranteed exit date. So they told us not to expect an exact time to leave. Even once our jobs were over, they didn't tell an exact time to get to the "airport" shuttle, just a rough window of time within 24-48 hours of our stuff being finished. You'd literally finish packing your work stuff, notify the travel office and get your open ended ticket, pack your personal poo poo up, and wait. You'd get the call and haul rear end to get on the plane.

That's because it can be devastating mentally to have your day of freedom be ripped away from you through no fault of your own if you fixate on it. A storm can blow in and lock down travel for a day, a week, or even more. Now I was there in the summer, when it's nice, weather is mostly clear, and there's good stores of provisions and lots of people around. I was also only there a couple of months. But for someone who had flown in at the start of the season, spent up to 4-6 months or so doing a menial job and was desperate to see civilization again, it could be heart breaking to find out that the day you were looking forward to soooo sooooo much is now invalid and you've got to wait a week to even try again. To say nothing of the people staying over the winter when that poo poo really got bad. So the goal there was to keep you from being able to fixate on any single date and dump hopes and dreams, make plans that need to follow a schedule, etc.

So where this ties in: We all know at this point we're going to have to do the cyclical isolation thing. We know. Others have decided, even against the evidence, that it'll be one and done. They're looking at May 1st, June 1st, or whatever as their exit date. Those dates are going to get pushed, they're going to have new calls to isolate come out 2-3 weeks later as cases start to spike again. And these people are not going to be able to handle it. You don't really want to set your heart on an exit date. Just be ready and happy when it finally does come.