Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Hey, it worked so well in 2016 that it looks like we're running it again! :downsgun:

"No seriously, get a load of that guy!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Also with a bit of Stockholm Syndrome: putting a literal gun to the heads of huge swathes of the country and going "hey that's a really nice minority population you have there...be a shame if something happened to them."

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
If anyone needs a bit more John in their lives (and who doesn't), he was on Seth Meyers' show the other night and there's a bunch of clips floating around on YouTube. It's basically just them shooting the poo poo for 15 minutes because it's not like they have much else to do!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuzEd1EbT88

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

swickles posted:

The same thing happened to Stewart and The Daily Show. They never sought to do real investigative journalism, only make fun of the news and make jokes about the dumb stuff in it. Because this was all construed as being honest, Stewart eventually became the most trusted man in news, despite never actually aiming for that goal. Oliver's stuff is a little more serious and they do a good job of in depth reporting, but they aren't a news gathering organization (i.e. no reporters or presence at major press conferences). They are more like a 20/20 with dick jokes. They are a news magazine that focuses on important, and in non-emergency times, often uncovered topics. Despite that, or maybe because of the fact that they take time to deliberate and source and fact check, they are seen as a more vital and trustworthy source than other news outlets.

I didn't value TDS as a news show half as much as I did as a meta commentary on the sad state of the media in this country at the time

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Cheshire Cat posted:

"No seriously, get a load of that guy!"

I feel like: "No, seriously, look at this loving moron" is going to be a much more effective argument after his incompetence has killed tens or hundreds of thousands of Americans, and we've seen how he actually behaves as President.

When Hillary was running, one could reasonably say "oh, it's just bluster, it's just a show, he's not serious," but now we know it was 100% serious and he's a dangerous imbecile.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

PT6A posted:

I feel like: "No, seriously, look at this loving moron" is going to be a much more effective argument after his incompetence has killed tens or hundreds of thousands of Americans, and we've seen how he actually behaves as President.

When Hillary was running, one could reasonably say "oh, it's just bluster, it's just a show, he's not serious," but now we know it was 100% serious and he's a dangerous imbecile.

The few Trump supporters I have to interact with are still of the "Thank god we had Trump to help us through this crisis" opinion. It truly is a death cult, don't expect them to suddenly change.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's definitely a pool of people who were like "Look, he'll rise to the position" or "he'll sober up when he realizes what he's got into" and "he'll listen to smart people" or "how bad could it be" who are now shell shocked at what its actually been. I don't know how large that group is. I think its unlikely there's a lot of people who voted for Trump who will flip their votes, but I do think there's a lot of room for that to have affect in those who sat out in 2016.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Only way Trump loses is a mixture of actually getting people that stayed home in 16 to actually care about voting this year and getting Corona firmly in the rear view by October. Otherwise we'll see a suspicious uptick in virus reporting in states with red governers necessitating stay at home orders for urban areas.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

I didn't value TDS as a news show half as much as I did as a meta commentary on the sad state of the media in this country at the time

Yeah honestly the fact that it ended up as the most trusted source of news for so many people should really have been seen much less as a sign of how good the journalism TDS was doing was and more how bad the journalism was in the entire rest of the media. It really hasn't gotten any better, either.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

pwn posted:

Anyone but Bernie was going to lose. Everything is hosed.

But it is so especially bad with vice President Uh My Boss LastGuy Raprock You Know The Thing Sundown. We are so so hosed

I feel you, but at least you folks have one last chance in November to avoid the absolute worst case scenario and mitigate the damage the failure in 2016 bestowed upon the least-fortunate in the US and the rest of the world.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think Biden's reliance on a strategy of "plz can we just all get along and be nice within respectable politics and not rock the boat" is generally a bad one, but it can win within the circumstances of there being some kind of terrible, terrible, horrifying alternative that has thoroughly proven to be a worse option than anything else. Maybe if the Biden camp isn't entirely braindead, they'll try throwing a bone to the left with a VP pick instead of just encouraging them to feel attacked and abandoned and dismissing half their potential base right there.

In theory if progressives keep pushing hard enough, they can still get more influence in the senate and house, even in total opposition to the establishment democrats manifestly trying to commit suicide.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't know much about American politics, but is there a reason he wouldn't just ask Biden to be his VP, so he can pick up most of Bernie's supporters and at least claim to be considerate of them even if he has no intention of letting Bernie do much while Bernie can try and influence him if he accepts? A reason beyond lack of desire, I guess. Since it seems like the best way to unite both sides and ensure they have the maximum chances going in to the presidential race.

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 19, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Beyond their politics not matching and DNC poo poo, Biden is a billion years old and needs to pick a VP who is not also a billion years old.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's also the whole thing where taking Bernie as VP would take him out of the Senate to a more do-nothing position, which was how Theodore Roosevelt got shoved into the position, because they wanted him to stop raising trouble.

It seems like a no-brainer to find some younger progressive, since VP picks are always meant to counterbalance the candidate and broaden appeal. Hillary Clinton went with a charismatic man from the south, Trump chose the stiffest guy he could find out of the christian right that wouldn't immediately reject him, Obama chose an uncharismatic white conservative old-guard democrat. You pick somebody to balance things out and satisfy the wing of the party that you hosed over.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Grand Fromage posted:

Beyond their politics not matching and DNC poo poo, Biden is a billion years old and needs to pick a VP who is not also a billion years old.

he should make Obama his VP then immediately resign on Jan 21

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Joking aside, you have to be eligible to be president to be the VP. The longest anyone can serve right now is 10 years, and that's only if you're the VP, the president dies with less than 2 years to go in their term, and you win re-election twice.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Biden has said he will pick a woman as his running mate, and he will almost certainly pick someone who is a traditional Democrat. If he wants to appeal to the left, he could try picking Warren, but it's more likely he goes for someone like Harris or Klobuchar.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If he picks Harris we're in for 10 years of "leftists hate black people" from the rapidly disintegrating center when Biden loses horribly. They've already been trying to paint older black people preferring Biden over Sanders as some kind of indictment of the entire left when it comes to racial issues.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

rujasu posted:

Biden has said he will pick a woman as his running mate, and he will almost certainly pick someone who is a traditional Democrat. If he wants to appeal to the left, he could try picking Warren, but it's more likely he goes for someone like Harris or Klobuchar.
Biden is going to pick Stacey Abrams

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Joking aside, you have to be eligible to be president to be the VP. The longest anyone can serve right now is 10 years, and that's only if you're the VP, the president dies with less than 2 years to go in their term, and you win re-election twice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWihXElw_zg

LegalEagle did a whole thing on it, there's nothing that technically prevents you from being VP as a former President in the Constitution, but the shitshow of lawsuits to clear out that technicality would be pretty exciting.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

John using his vast resources for inane bullshit continues to be the best thing about this show.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's one of those situations where there's all sorts of laws and rules, but they all require somebody to move to enforce them, and it's not entirely clear whose duty that would be. If somebody just decides to entirely ignore the laws and rules, it takes effort to bring them back into line. It's not like anyone arrested Ted Cruise for illegally seeking the nomination for which he was not eligible.

I think generally when something like that happens though, it's not somebody running illegally for office, but somebody in office illegally extending their term.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I feel cheated.

Dr. Oz made the title card, but not a single mention in an episode about the spreading of misinformation regarding Covid?

Who, what, when, where, why, and how, in the actual gently caress, did The Blunderful Whiz-ard of Oz not make this episode??

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's one of those situations where there's all sorts of laws and rules, but they all require somebody to move to enforce them, and it's not entirely clear whose duty that would be. If somebody just decides to entirely ignore the laws and rules, it takes effort to bring them back into line. It's not like anyone arrested Ted Cruise for illegally seeking the nomination for which he was not eligible.

I think generally when something like that happens though, it's not somebody running illegally for office, but somebody in office illegally extending their term.

Which hey, we might be getting a test case of in the next 4 years. So that'll be fun.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Another note on tonight, John is starting as acclimate to this different format. He's doing far fewer of those pauses for non-existent applause.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
John's fine in this format. Unlike Trevor Noah, who has gone from tolerable to horribly grating

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I know why he's doing it but I can't keep watching all these FN clips.

precision posted:

John's fine in this format. Unlike Trevor Noah, who has gone from tolerable to horribly grating

Noah is much better now actually. He's still not great but he's better.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Literally every topical weekly comedy show is better without an audience now that they've had a chance to adjust to it. It's going to be a real disappointment when they switch back.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

It makes me sound like a stupid rear end in a top hat but I miss hearing everyone laugh at the jokes. I think I get some kind of satisfaction from knowing other people are also cracking up at whatever I'm laughing at.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm fine with audiences, I'm mostly enjoying the general chaos that reminds me a lot of these shows during the writer's strike.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Phenotype posted:

It makes me sound like a stupid rear end in a top hat but I miss hearing everyone laugh at the jokes. I think I get some kind of satisfaction from knowing other people are also cracking up at whatever I'm laughing at.

If that makes you sound like a stupid rear end in a top hat, then you're in good company. I also miss the audience. This kind of comedy doesn't work as well for me without some basic audience interaction. I like having the little breaks for laughter; it gives the delivery a cadence and some breathing room. Watching the show without laughter is like watching a stand up comedy special with no audience: the jokes are there, but something is conspicuously missing.

I will say, though, that since John has had a few weeks to adjust, mainly by omitting the pauses for laughter that were practically reflex by this point, that the lack of an audience is less noticeable. My only complaint about this last episode is, again, the inexcusable lack of Dr. Oz ridicule. I was ready for it because of the opening credits, and then... nothing.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

SlothfulCobra posted:

This doesn't really matter because lol at the idea of a plurality of Americans ever pulling a lever for Ted Cruz, but he very much was eligible to be President by virtue of being born to an American citizen.

It's also a provision we really ought to remove.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Fox lied, people died.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

SlothfulCobra posted:

Fox lied, people died.

Hi from twenty years ago.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nah, 20 years ago it was the president's administration forging the lies for their own nefarious purposes and Fox just backing them up, as opposed to now Fox just takes the initiative in making up poo poo for which they have no particular plan about because they're not in any real position of authority that the administration backs up because the world is insane.

The right wing propaganda machine was not meant to be believed on the top level.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

The right wing propaganda machine was not meant to be believed on the top level.

This is pretty much why before, it was ridiculous and worthy of nothing but scorn; but now, we all have to pay attention to it, because it is informing Glorious Leader's actions. And the scary thing about paying attention to it is that the longer you stare into the abyss, the longer Ed Harris stares into you.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Good article from a few years back about that very phenomenon:

The Long, Lucrative Right-wing Grift Is Blowing Up in the World's Face

quote:

For years, the conservative movement peddled one set of talking points to the rabble, while its elites consumed a more grounded and reality-based media. The rubes listened to talk radio, read right-wing blogs, watched Fox News. They were fed apocalyptic paranoia about threats to their liberty, racial hysteria about the generalized menace posed by various groups of brown people, and hysterical lies about the criminal misdeeds of various Democratic politicians. The people in charge, meanwhile, read The Wall Street Journal and The Weekly Standard, and they tended to have a better grasp of political reality, as when those sources deceived their readers, it was mostly unintentionally, with comforting fantasies about the efficacy of conservative policies. From the Reagan era through the Bush administration, the system seemed to be performing as designed.

Donald Trump is 70 years old. He has always, clearly, been an incoherent thinker, contradictory and prone to self-gratifying delusions. But if, for much of his life, he was able to pass as an intelligent and well-informed man, it was probably just because he religiously read newspapers, especially the New York Times. That was and is a decent way to sound like a smart person, at least for a few minutes, which is long enough to impress most rich people. Now, though, Trump is older, his thinking more rigid, his favored media outlets less trustworthy and more likely to reinforce reactionary tendencies. Cable news has largely replaced newspapers as his primary source of information about the world. He has also taken to reading conspiratorial websites run by kooks and con artists. Perhaps, if you have a white parent or grandparent over 60, this sounds familiar?

Trump was always venal, dishonest, genuinely deluded about his financial acumen and business success, and, you know, a wildly misogynistic accused rapist and sexual harasser. But for most of his public life, he also clearly knew the right sorts of things to say to sound like a reasonable person, albeit a mostly ridiculous one. Donald Trump the deranged believer of bizarre untruths about the world at large is actually a fairly recent development. This is why, when he flirted with presidential runs in the past, he spoke positively of universal healthcare. This is why, when he planned to win the nomination of the Reform Party in 2000, he attacked Pat Buchanan as a right-wing extremist. This is why he spent many years claiming to have opposed the Iraq War—which he did, albeit after it was too late, and not before. Trump learned what to think about the world at large from the media, and for most of his life, he was a consumer of the mainstream media.

Donald Trump today is a cruel dolt turned into a raving madman by cable news and Breitbart.com. You could see the descent happen during the Obama era, in concert with the broader maddening of the GOP. The major difference between Trump and the other old white men who’ve been radicalized by the conservative press is that his was a strangely self-directed conversion, based on his desire to make himself known as a plausible Republican presidential candidate.

Being the head sucker of the party of suckers is in some sense an appropriate fate for a veteran purveyor of substandard garbage like Donald Trump. Slapping his name on shoddy products marketed to people who—like Trump himself!—buy into the myth of Trump as a man of class, intelligence, and distinction kept him afloat after real estate and casinos nearly ruined him. Trump Steaks, Trump University, Trump Wine, “Trump”-branded developments he had no part in building or managing; Trump sold bullshit for so long that he seemed to begin to believe in the bullshit himself. And once the product was literally him, how could he not believe in it?

https://splinternews.com/the-long-lucrative-right-wing-grift-is-blowing-up-in-t-1793944216

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah this is why I'm concerned about the increasing number of prominent young conservative pundits and their following (like your Ben Shapiro types). The thing about the guys talking about trickle down economics in the 80s - they all knew it was bullshit. It was the lie that got them the thing they wanted, which was more money. They were lovely people but they would also know not to push the grift to the point of like, starting a nuclear war or something. The new generation of conservatives never got that memo. They were raised in an environment where all the grift was presented to them as just the basic truth as how the world works, and trained to ignore any evidence to the contrary. They will just keep doubling down because they are not in on the scam. They are true believers.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I do not remotely believe that Trump has ever religiously read anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

He was raised to religiously destroy every document after reading.