Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I'm a scrub who insists on using the real mirrors when playing in VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I get why you’d do that and I generally would like to do that too because you’re in VR presumably for realism and having two mirrors is realistic, but every game I’ve tried it in it just murders performance.

You’re rendering the game once for each eye and once for each mirror, that’s rough.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Vando posted:

I probably spend around $150 per year total for sub + new release content, and that's with buying every new road car that comes out because I'm a chump.

I don't see how that's possible unless you either already have $500+ of content or you only play one series at a time. If I wanted to do all the non open-wheel road series races available right now for class D (not including endurance), I'd need to buy 4 tracks and 3 cars. And next week, they'll change and I'll have to buy another 3-4 tracks.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I get why you’d do that and I generally would like to do that too because you’re in VR presumably for realism and having two mirrors is realistic, but every game I’ve tried it in it just murders performance.

You’re rendering the game once for each eye and once for each mirror, that’s rough.

Performance is fine for me with the mirrors on though - I'm capped at 144fps most of the time. But even still, they're unusable the way they're implemented.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The head tracking origin on the mirrors in iRacing isn't quite right. If you move your head to look at them, the scene shown in them shifts too dramatically. What I have surmised is that the head tracking seems to be based around the headset which is ahead of your eyes, so when you rotate your head, the headset moves more dramatically and then it all makes sense. I have no idea if this is correct, but the movement of the mirrors is a common complaint in VR.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

KillHour posted:

I don't see how that's possible unless you either already have $500+ of content or you only play one series at a time.
I've been throwing money at this for 10 years so yeah already $500 deep easily, that's what I mean by the cost going down as time goes on. I haven't spent over $100 in a calendar year on content in maybe 5 years.

Also I recommend only running one or two series at a time so 1) you don't spend $200 on tracks immediately but also 2) because you will suck if you try to drive multiple different cars at the same time unless you're spending hours and hours per week adapting to the differences.

Vando fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 20, 2020

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The mirrors don't render shadows and most of the bells and whistles that's in the main display so that helps a little. Also, one of the recent updates lets you configure LOD settings and number of cars/pit objects that are rendered in the mirrors, so that also helps a bit. I haven't yet noticed any significant performance issues when using mirrors in VR.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Math You posted:

2. Coming from playing Gran Turismo, I quite like campaign modes in my racing games. Any other PC games that would scratch that itch without being too "arcady"? I don't want to spend an hour going off the track after playing another game.

I quite enjoy the F12019 single player campaign, but I'm a big F1 person in general.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Math You posted:

1. Everywhere I read about IRacing people talk about how expensive it is. How expensive is it? I don't mind spending maybe a couple hundred a year but I don't want to even start if it's easy to fall down the path of temptation and spend stupid sums of money.
What can I reasonably expect to spend? Anyone mind sharing their own spending on the game?

2. Coming from playing Gran Turismo, I quite like campaign modes in my racing games. Any other PC games that would scratch that itch without being too "arcady"? I don't want to spend an hour going off the track after playing another game.

1 - Since 2015 I've spent $703.59, yes I went and checked, on iRacing. That's a yearly subscription, some cars and tracks. IMO pick one series you'd like to run, buy the required car/tracks and have fun. If you enjoy it look at another series later but if you don't you're not out a lot. Worst case the AI is not terrible so you can race them with the included tracks and cars.

2 - I personally like rFactor2 better than iRacing. I think it handles better, especially the open wheel cars. Assetto Corsa is very good but feels less real han iracing or rfactor. Project Cars 2 I can't get to work with my pedals so can't comment on that one. Dirt Rally is the go to if you want to smash cars into trees and snow banks at speed. As for campaign....not sure I either do practice races or race online.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
The Codemasters games are the only sim(ish) titles with career modes worth mentioning. Project Cars 2 and Assetto Corsa only have "finish this series of races, then decide which series you want next", with Project Cars 2 randomly giving you automatic wins against the AI by making it rain.

I'd say iRacing's license progression system makes it the only sim with an actual career mode.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GT Sports online mode really pushes you to get better and increase your rank because if you don't you are stuck with garbage tier racers who will punt the poo poo out of you in turn one.

In this way, it is exactly like iRacing.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Vando posted:

Also I recommend only running one or two series at a time so 1) you don't spend $200 on tracks immediately but also 2) because you will suck if you try to drive multiple different cars at the same time unless you're spending hours and hours per week adapting to the differences.

But spending a week racing the same track/car combo is boring :(

With the lockdown, spending 2+ hours every day racing isn't out of the question, and I'm going to suck no matter how much practice I get.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

KillHour posted:

Also, I just made class D, which means I can stop racing with people who pileup on the first corner! :toot:
Who wants to tell him?

MrYenko posted:

Picked a real bad time to get interested in iracing. There are like, zero wheels available for love or money.

:v:

I had been searching for an upgrade from the POS wheel I have, especially now that it is starting to fail a little bit. I had been looking all over Amazon and Ebay and new Logitech g920's were going for like $400 and used on Ebay were going for high $200's plus an exorbitant shipping cost. After NASCAR started doing their iRacing invitational races a buddy tipped me off that Logitech is selling the g920 for $250, free shipping with code williambyron. I think he said it is running until mid May sometime. They are backordered a few weeks so if you NEED IT NOW then I can't help you but I put an order in about a week ago and according to their order tracking my order has been boxed.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KillHour posted:

With the lockdown, spending 2+ hours every day racing isn't out of the question, and I'm going to suck no matter how much practice I get.

The thing about racing is the races run fairly infrequently (every 30 minutes at a minimum) so between practice, quali, and the race itself, its gonna take you an hour or so just for the Mazda races that kick off every half hour

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

KillHour posted:

I mean, fair enough but this does mean you're banned from showing up in a week going 'why am I slow?'

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I learned this lesson the hard way with GT Sport. They used to rotate races and cars every night, then they switched to weekly races and I hated it at first. What I actually learned though was nightly races just made me suck at every track on a nightly basis. I never got good. I thought I was getting good every night, but what I was doing was getting "passably ok". Weekly tracks let me get better and better as the week went on. I could see my times getting better and my races getting cleaner. For real, jumping all over in races just makes you pretty mediocre at all of the races.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean, if you're willing to spend the money and the time, do one oval and one road series. I think that might be the fastest anyone has ever posted in this thread from "how do I iRacing" to "out of rookies". It'll give you at least two car/track combos to work on during a given week.

Also, everyone should do Indyfixed at Iowa at least once.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Vando posted:

I mean, fair enough but this does mean you're banned from showing up in a week going 'why am I slow?'

I know why I'm slow - I'm bad at driving.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The thing about racing is the races run fairly infrequently (every 30 minutes at a minimum) so between practice, quali, and the race itself, its gonna take you an hour or so just for the Mazda races that kick off every half hour

That's why I bought the stuff that is scheduled at alternating times so I could go back and forth :v:

Also - that RUF GT3 car is basically undrivable. How does anybody manage to keep that thing forward? I haven't done anything but solo practice with it yet because I can't even do a warm-up lap without randomly spinning out on a straight. Although, I "like" that they have the stones say the car comes with 4 different variants, but the dual clutch versions still have a stick shift and third pedal in the cockpit. It took me longer than I'd care to admit to figure that out.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 20, 2020

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Getting out of rookies was 4-5 mx-5 races for me. Almost to my C class, doing nurb as my first real race with the skip knocked me down a bit in SR but im back to 3.72 or something after a couple finishes. A few more clean races is all I need

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

KillHour posted:

Also - that RUF GT3 car is basically undrivable. How does anybody manage to keep that thing forward? I haven't done anything but solo practice with it yet because I can't even do a warm-up lap without randomly spinning out on a straight. Although, I "like" that they have the stones say the car comes with 4 different variants, but the dual clutch versions still have a stick shift and third pedal in the cockpit. It took me longer than I'd care to admit to figure that out.

You've not accidentally turned TC off or something have you?

Also I was going to go 'oh no you bought the Ruf nobody drives that, it's in one dead series' but turns out that series has pretty good participation somehow. We should probably goonrush it sometime with all the people who have the Ruf from back when it was in the endurance events.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Vando posted:

For me I kind of don't like it when I have a bunch of cars/track options in a single week. Like this week, of the stuff I like to race, street stocks, late models, SK's, Tour Mod and Legends are all available to me and it's like, what do I spend time on to get better at? I haven't checked the schedule at all but I'm sure next week all that stuff will be at tracks that I don't own and I'll only have one option of like super late models or something and that's fine because I can spend all my time working one thing.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Had my best finish last night, 3rd at Martinsville in the late models. Didn't qualify, told the other drivers I just wanted to run around and log some laps with live traffic and ended up finishing 3rd because D class is basically extra-strength Rookie.

I've been bouncing around to alot of tracks and cars mostly for the ooh and ahh factor of having so much variety and I'm not really improving much at all consistently in one area so I'm spending this week doing the late models mostly. Car is fun and I feel like I'm getting a better feel to Martinsville with them.

I just installed the TM conical brake mode and I can already feel more confident braking into turns and trail breaking so I might try out a race or 2 at the Indy bike course a few times.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KillHour posted:

The thing about oval is I hate wide tracks, both in sims and real life. I like narrow, varied tracks with hard braking zones and weird camber/elevation issues. I also have zero interest in racing NASCAR or open wheel cars - I only like street legal cars, for the most part and I prefer races where the cars aren't all the same. Maybe iRacing just isn't for me? That's fine if that's the case - I just want to know.

Didn't I convince you to buy like 4 cheap polk subs 8 years ago and it worked out ? (or didn't work out i can't remember). You should learn to trust me. I understand that big wide ovals with huge straights doesn't seem interesting or exciting. And I'm basically the same. It seems somewhat boring. With that said, some of the biggest heart pounding exhilarating moments I've had we doing 180mph in a Nascar truck just hoping everyone else didn't start to speed wobble. It's some of the most immersive "forget it's a game" moments in VR i've ever had.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I've owned Polk subs for like 10+ years but I've never bought 4 at once, so you're thinking of someone else. I tried a couple oval races. They're alright, but totally different from what I'm after. To be honest, I think I'm having more fun doing TT than racing.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KillHour posted:

I've owned Polk subs for like 10+ years but I've never bought 4 at once, so you're thinking of someone else. I tried a couple oval races. They're alright, but totally different from what I'm after. To be honest, I think I'm having more fun doing TT than racing.

No it was you. I helped you set up REW I think.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jonathan posted:

No it was you. I helped you set up REW I think.

I first tried REW like a year ago after I got my SVS sub and gave up after an hour so definitely not. Are you sure you're not thinking of me from another thread? We post in a lot of the same ones.

In other news, Skip Barber at Spa is pretty drat fun, not going to lie. I finally "get" spa.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Just bought the nastruck and Talladega

Pray for me

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

It's fun. RNG monster, but intense when it stays green for a good long stint. Very unique gaming experience.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I can’t believe it, I love the Mazda. It’s so much fun to drive and I was not into road racing at all until I gave this car a try. I started playing a month ago to race modifiers and legends and late models and all the NASCAR type stuff.

Did a 38 lapped at Tsukuba today and loved it. Didn’t qualify, started 21, finished 8th. Not because I’m good, I’m still below average on road courses, but I’m getting really good at avoiding the carnage.

Hovering in the mid 3’s of D license and I’m fine with that right now. Lots of content that I’m enjoying.

Question about iRating. As mine increases is the theory that the people I’m racing against are a “better” mix of racers and it’s less of a RNG wreckfest? I’m low 1300’s but the legend and late models races I ran tonight were an average of around 1350 I think and they were fun races with fairly little lap 1 carnage.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Is Bear Pope or King Hiros running the 24hrs this weekend?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Douchebag posted:

Question about iRating. As mine increases is the theory that the people I’m racing against are a “better” mix of racers and it’s less of a RNG wreckfest? I’m low 1300’s but the legend and late models races I ran tonight were an average of around 1350 I think and they were fun races with fairly little lap 1 carnage.

Yes, that's the theory. This is where what iRacing calls a "split" comes into play. When there are more drivers entered into a session than the session is configured for - say, 40 drivers for a series that supports up to 22 per split - iRacing sorts the entrants by iRating and splits them into however many sessions are needed. The more times a session splits, the closer the grouping is in any given split from top to bottom iRating.

If a session doesn't split, then iRating just determines your car number.

I've found that at least in some cases this really doesn't help much, when you've got hundreds of cars in a session and it splits a ton of times - you'll still get plenty of chucklefucks.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Ok thanks, makes complete sense. The races I was in tonight had hundreds of entrants so based on what you said at that level of participation it’s a moot point and you just hope for the best.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, at that point the issue is you're still going to be stuck among a ton of low-iRating drivers, and you don't know if someone has a low iRating because they're just plain slow, or because they can't keep the car clean enough to finish a race.

If a session only splits two or three times and you're out of the bottom split, then you should see a decent difference. If it only splits twice you might find yourself at the back of the field, but I'd rather finish deep in the field with a clean race the whole way than stomp on a bunch of drivers who barely rack up a lap without 2x.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
I've been lurking this thread and distantly fawning over iRacing for awhile now but I've always been too intimidated to actually try it. A couple weeks ago, a friend bought a month subscription for himself with the intention of getting a wheel setup but reconsidered before pulling the trigger, decided he'd probably never play, and gave me his account to try it out. I installed it earlier today, did a few practice sessions, and did my first race with the MX-5 at Tsukuba - holy hell is it fun to race against actual humans. I qualified 2nd and placed 3rd after an extremely close battle. I did end up with 8 incident points from an ill-advised passing attempt and a really amateurish missed braking point, but given how nervous I was to even try a race I'll take it (also, sorry guy I bumped into!). I had planned to mind my own business at the back of the pack until I cleared Rookies but I got caught up in how exhilarating it is to chase people down.

And this is probably obvious but the driving just feels great. I've tried a small handful of other sims that are fun but never fully clicked for me, so I mostly just play a ton of Forza 7. Again, it doesn't need stated that this feels better with a wheel than Forza 7, but I actually felt like the MX-5 is easier to control here than on Forza which surprised me, maybe just because it reacts more naturally? I was expecting a very steep learning curve and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it's been to come up to speed (I'm absolutely not trying to imply that I'm good and/or fast, mind you, I just figured I'd be a bumbling, grass-bound idiot for at least a week so "bumbling, tarmac-bound idiot" is an exponential improvement).

Anyway, yeah, RIP my bank account I guess.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah man the MX-5 is awesome, so much fun to race at any track. I will admit the reason I never went with iracing for over a decade was because it forced a cockpit view. I’m kicking myself so hard because I have no issue with it. I played NR2003 for years and could never stomach the cockpit view, iracing gives me no issues. I’m loving it and hating myself for waiting so long to play it.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
The good races always more than make up for the bad races for me

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Me and my mate ran the gt3 Suzuka 3hr race last weekend.

Between the two of us it was a total poo poo show, got involved in other people's accidents, computer disconnected mid stint costing a lap and a 1:30 min tow. Managed to pit and no take fuel, finished 4 laps down in 16th out of 30 and somehow still enjoyed it.

Getting kicked in the dick like this and still having fun is probably something I only experience in I dunno, a Paradox game or something.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

You forget the bad races within a day, you remember the good races for months.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
And yes, there are good races:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yesterday, someone clipped the front on my car light enough that I was able to recover and didn't get any incident points. I immediately thought "oh man, that was lucky." Then right before the next braking zone, I get a meatball flag and my front right wheel goes flying, hurling me into the entire pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KillHour posted:

Yesterday, someone clipped the front on my car light enough that I was able to recover and didn't get any incident points. I immediately thought "oh man, that was lucky." Then right before the next braking zone, I get a meatball flag and my front right wheel goes flying, hurling me into the entire pack.

I had something similar happen at the Charlotte Roval; I just kissed the wall in turn one, lap 4 or 5, and got a 0x incident. Thought to myself “WHEW, Stop pushing so hard,” but on the replay, it broke my right back axle. As soon as I put power back into it, I spun, and went from third (!!!!!) to last, taking out the 4th, 5th, and 6th place contenders in the spin and pileup.