Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
You don't need a commission you just need another service to accept you. A pipeline or commission is usually the easiest way since you're going to do something they need. Talk to your CCC and see if the all stop on early releases is over, if it isn't you won't go anywhere for any reason unless you've got an in road to someone who can make policy not matter.

I spent three years trying to get released to go green side for a SOF pipeline and the USN never played ball. Unless some major policy reversal happened don't bank on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

PneumonicBook posted:

Have you considered getting poo poo on zero percent of the time???

That’d be great but I have 3 goddamn years of this poo poo left because I have a 7 year contract, and I’d likely be stuck at this command unless I obliserv even more.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Be an officer and get poo poo on part time in NG where I want to live versus get poo poo on full time enlisted in the Navy seems pretty straightforward.

The milpers also requires a commission to be eligible for most types of inter service transfer.

You know what’s better than being an officer and getting poo poo on in the military?

Being a civilian. Full stop, it’s better.

You gotta learn to think outside the military construct. The Army National Guard in almost every state is so much more hosed up than the USN it’s not even funny.

You 👏🏿 don’t 👏🏿 have 👏🏿 to 👏🏿 stay 👏🏿 in 👏🏿 the 👏🏿 military 👏🏿 to 👏🏿 be 👏🏿 happy 👏🏿 or 👏🏿 successful 👏🏿

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

maffew buildings posted:

You don't need a commission you just need another service to accept you. A pipeline or commission is usually the easiest way since you're going to do something they need. Talk to your CCC and see if the all stop on early releases is over, if it isn't you won't go anywhere for any reason unless you've got an in road to someone who can make policy not matter.

I spent three years trying to get released to go green side for a SOF pipeline and the USN never played ball. Unless some major policy reversal happened don't bank on it.

I’m guessing army active 18x?

Looking through the milpers though it explicitly says commission into another branch of service is authorized except in cases that I don’t believe apply to me. Nothing that would work for 18x or cross-enlisting.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

You know what’s better than being an officer and getting poo poo on in the military?

Being a civilian. Full stop, it’s better.

You gotta learn to think outside the military construct. The Army National Guard in almost every state is so much more hosed up than the USN it’s not even funny.

You 👏🏿 don’t 👏🏿 have 👏🏿 to 👏🏿 stay 👏🏿 in 👏🏿 the 👏🏿 military 👏🏿 to 👏🏿 be 👏🏿 happy 👏🏿 or 👏🏿 successful 👏🏿

I’d punch out today if I could but I can’t. 4 down 3 to go. Doing 3 more years at this command seems worse than 5 or so years where I can start on the masters program that I cannot pursue while I’m active.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Good point though about outside the box- what are the options in terms of getting out early? I’ve emailed my community manager a month ago who confirmed I’m not eligible for HM early out (missed it by a goddamn month) but obviously that’s ideal.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Talk to DustyNuts, he'll know the answers to this poo poo. Just stop posting about this here and talk to him, we're white noise or anecdotal experience that may no longer track, he's an NCC.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Good point though about outside the box- what are the options in terms of getting out early? I’ve emailed my community manager a month ago who confirmed I’m not eligible for HM early out (missed it by a goddamn month) but obviously that’s ideal.

I don't know if you are wanting to do medical stuff as an O but could apply for one of the MECP programs to get them to pay for you to go back to school

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

maffew buildings posted:

Talk to DustyNuts, he'll know the answers to this poo poo. Just stop posting about this here and talk to him, we're white noise or anecdotal experience that may no longer track, he's an NCC.

Alright, thanks.

Nick Soapdish posted:

I don't know if you are wanting to do medical stuff as an O but could apply for one of the MECP programs to get them to pay for you to go back to school

MECP isn’t a bad program if I wanted to stay in but I’d have or put together my package at this command (so I’d have to overcome monthlong+ routing times and zero chance of any floor HM getting an EP) and almost nobody gets picked up during the first submission so it’s a lot more work to just end up an RN, lose my GI bill, and incur 6 years of active duty on top.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 19, 2020

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Also, good luck man, I hope you can pull it off. I got shut down for interservice transfer, commissioning or moving jobs in the Navy due to the insanely hosed off personnel regs. It's stupid and seems to just drive good people out the door. Since you post here, I assume you're not one of the good people, but I do wish you the best in getting where you want to go :)

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

maffew buildings posted:

Also, good luck man, I hope you can pull it off. I got shut down for interservice transfer, commissioning or moving jobs in the Navy due to the insanely hosed off personnel regs. It's stupid and seems to just drive good people out the door. Since you post here, I assume you're not one of the good people, but I do wish you the best in getting where you want to go :)

Yeah no arguments there. I know for a fact that whatever I do when I actually have a choice it won’t be with the Navy. Thanks man.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

AlternateNu posted:

That said, if you DO decide to commission, stay away from the Air Force. It's officer corps is made up of a disturbingly large number of libertarians and crazy religious types.

:rolleyes: Plenty of reasons to stay away, but this one is overblown.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

AlternateNu posted:

Also, YOU'RE deluded if you don't think civilian life doesn't have low rung people poo poo on constantly in far less fair ways than the military engages in.

loving lol.

I cant even with this.

Like yea, obviously people get poo poo on everywhere. My point was that the military is full of a bunch of absolutely insane ridiculous poo poo, and besides that, there was also a wee hint of sarcasm in there, shown by the THREE question marks.

This forum sometimes jfc.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Either way as a civilian I’m privileged and educated enough that the amount of poo poo I’d be subjected to pales compared to every goddamn hour I’m in.

So that’s kinda my thought process, weighing getting poo poo hard on as a PO in a garbage command full time or getting a weekend of poo poo here and there as a LT in the guard where I can live where I want and do what I want the rest of the time but for a couple more years total.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Godholio posted:

:rolleyes: Plenty of reasons to stay away, but this one is overblown.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

lmao

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

A branch that has a buster sword FF7 prop is probably cooler than the Navy.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

IncredibleIgloo posted:

A branch that has a buster sword FF7 prop is probably cooler than the Navy.

Yeah except that it gets given out by the senior most enlisted in the AF to the top generals in the AF as a massive rear end-kissing gesture and then everyone pretends that it's a gift by all the enlisted to a beloved commander.
It's dumber than anything I've seen in any branch.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Now that is a valid reason to stay away. The Order of the Sword is the most ridiculous loving thing. Seems to be a different sword each time, too. I wonder who designs them.

Edit: McPeak and Foglesong both got it, and they might be the two most hated generals in USAF history.

Edit2: Holy poo poo, Lori Robinson got it too. She was great for the officer ABM career field, but she fuuuuucked the enlisted controllers right out of existence on AWACS and tried to do the same for the ground units.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 20, 2020

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

What a bunch of nerds loving lol.

Why do nerds love swords?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

While you were in high school getting dates, I was practicing the art of the sword.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

The origins of academie are based in renaissance interpretations of feudalistic customs and the Air Force was in search for its own traditions. The sword is a powerful symbol of war, of state, of religion, and you can likely find some sort of important meaning related to it for any military member. All of the organizations have some sort of sword ceremony despite none of us every using swords, and I wonder if the Air Force, which has never had troops equipped with swords, began the tradition making fun of the hundreds of pointless swords carried in Army, Navy, and Marine Corps ceremonies or issued to students at their service academies.

Even if it began as honest lampooning (and that's a supposition for which I have only hope--no evidence), it really comes down to a tradition of asking someone to spend a bunch of somebody else's money on a gift. This someone doesn't really know the person they're spending the gift on, but are going to have to endure meetings and recommendations and emails and advice sessions from seniors, and will try to find the gift that pleases the most or offends the least. "What some other people did," is generally a good recipe for that.

Edit: Look at these nerds. https://www.jyu.fi/en/academic-events/degrees-ceremony/instructions/doctoral-hat-and-sword

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

"Doctors of Education, Sport and Economic Sciences have a symbol with a flame, oil lamp, and a circle made up of rays of light."

:yikes: all I see is the WTC, a dick, and some SS runes

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Anime fantasies have ruined hearts and minds

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah except that it gets given out by the senior most enlisted in the AF to the top generals in the AF as a massive rear end-kissing gesture and then everyone pretends that it's a gift by all the enlisted to a beloved commander.
It's dumber than anything I've seen in any branch.

The reality is much farther away than the Shinra fighting ecologically minded resistance than I would have hoped it symbolized.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

piL posted:

The origins of academie are based in renaissance interpretations of feudalistic customs and the Air Force was in search for its own traditions. The sword is a powerful symbol of war, of state, of religion, and you can likely find some sort of important meaning related to it for any military member. All of the organizations have some sort of sword ceremony despite none of us every using swords, and I wonder if the Air Force, which has never had troops equipped with swords, began the tradition making fun of the hundreds of pointless swords carried in Army, Navy, and Marine Corps ceremonies or issued to students at their service academies.

Even if it began as honest lampooning (and that's a supposition for which I have only hope--no evidence), it really comes down to a tradition of asking someone to spend a bunch of somebody else's money on a gift. This someone doesn't really know the person they're spending the gift on, but are going to have to endure meetings and recommendations and emails and advice sessions from seniors, and will try to find the gift that pleases the most or offends the least. "What some other people did," is generally a good recipe for that.

Edit: Look at these nerds. https://www.jyu.fi/en/academic-events/degrees-ceremony/instructions/doctoral-hat-and-sword

The AF really went all out in manufacturing meaning and tradition

quote:

The Order of the Sword recognizes individuals who have made significant contributions to the enlisted corps. Only seven other individuals have been so honored since 1978. The ceremonial presentation was adopted from the Royal Order of the Sword and passed to the United States during the Revolutionary War. However, it lay dormant until it was reinstituted in its current form in 1967.

The original order of the sword was patterned after two orders of chivalry founded during the Middle Ages in Europe: the (British) Royal Order of the Sword and the Swedish Military Order of the Sword, still in existence today. In 1522, King Gustavus I of Sweden ordered the noblemen commissioned by him to appoint officers to serve him, and these people became known as the noncommissioned officers.

Literally none of that is true.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
haha im home sick with covid symptoms. haven't been tested yet, that's tomorrow

MiSsIoN ReAdInEsS

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

gently caress dude I’m sorry.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
be sure to give as many people handshakes as possible and yell about freedoms

Doughy Fresh
Jun 15, 2007

Isn't that dangerous?
I normally just lurk, but I find myself with a lot of free time on my hands. I’ve been on a month-long pause in the middle of a three month C school, and they just told us today we’ll be paused for another month at least. My May 20 grad date has turned into Jun 26, maybe as late as mid July if the school can coordinate another evolution for us to support (which they are actively trying to do). I originally had follow on orders to ECS after this (and it’s only getting hotter in Mississippi), but nobody has any idea what the status is on that. Oh well, another month essentially confined to quarters at the NGIS with my wife back at home will, I’m sure, be great for my mental health and my marriage!

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

What's up lurker? Based on the AV I'm guessing that you're in 1C right now? You can be the official GiP diver.

It's weird because ECS is actually happening now. I have folks coming to my command next month from there.

Doughy Fresh
Jun 15, 2007

Isn't that dangerous?

DustyNuts posted:

What's up lurker? Based on the AV I'm guessing that you're in 1C right now? You can be the official GiP diver.

It's weird because ECS is actually happening now. I have folks coming to my command next month from there.

All I know is I got a call from the NGIS in Gulfport cancelling my room reservation, so I guess I don’t know what I’ll do if they still want me to go there in route. Maybe they’re just matriculating the current students? Who knows.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/virginianpilot/status/1252761540668915712?s=20

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Got a notice this morning that they're ramping IA's back up, and be ready to travel on short notice. >_>

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

AlternateNu posted:

Got a notice this morning that they're ramping IA's back up, and be ready to travel on short notice. >_>

Are you conus or oconus mobilizing?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'm sure there won't be any false negatives: https://news.usni.org/2020/04/21/na...during-pandemic

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/laraseligman/status/1252978649898389506?s=20

Cool, just treat our administration like we view other regimes when they put out propaganda

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

LingcodKilla posted:

Are you conus or oconus mobilizing?

OCONUS.

According to the email chain from USFF, everyone with RLD starting Monday will be going as ordered (but will apparently be extended at ECRC on ROM before moving to their final command?). Everyone who's POM (e.g., us) will be phased through as possible.

So, I'm either leaving in a couple days, or will be spending the next 2 - 3 weeks staring at my email. >_>

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

AlternateNu posted:

OCONUS.

According to the email chain from USFF, everyone with RLD starting Monday will be going as ordered (but will apparently be extended at ECRC on ROM before moving to their final command?). Everyone who's POM (e.g., us) will be phased through as possible.

So, I'm either leaving in a couple days, or will be spending the next 2 - 3 weeks staring at my email. >_>

gently caress. I was told May 30th scratch that June 30th as soonest. I should probably pack my bags now and just deal with it.

And my NOSC just contacted me to come in to square away what little paperwork I need to do in person to be ready to go at a moments notice. Apparently it’s a total skeleton crew with like 1 person per floor.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/laraseligman/status/1252978649898389506?s=20

Cool, just treat our administration like we view other regimes when they put out propaganda

I dunno, if i was some E-3 on a .50, I might just start shooting, I mean can’t go on liberty anyways, and Donnie intervened in a war crime trial...