Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Beefstew posted:

Do we have confirmation on Anise/Medusa as true final boss?

Anise is in, and is the boss of the postgame content. Defeating her in 60 seconds grants you a Chain Link Ability. Doing the same thing on Hard grants you a second Chain Link Ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's very funny to me going back and looking at the original art for the classes (especially the skimpier ones that people were complaining about, like Fenrir Knight) and realizing that the new renders are completely faithful to the original concept art.

SD3 was horny all along!

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's very funny to me going back and looking at the original art for the classes (especially the skimpier ones that people were complaining about, like Fenrir Knight) and realizing that the new renders are completely faithful to the original concept art.

SD3 was horny all along!

Given the fact that the original version had Angela do her rear end-shake for her Light-class class strike and most of the characters slept in bed wearing nothing but underwear, you could argue the original was even hornier than the remake.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
These designs are certainly as horny as the current models, with just the angle leaving more to the imagination.

https://mana.fandom.com/wiki/Angela?file=Angela_Magus.png
https://mana.fandom.com/wiki/Riesz?file=Riesz_Fenrir_Knight.png

What are the sources of these? All I can tell is that they've been around for a few years, but not whether they're from way back in the 90s.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

gandlethorpe posted:

These designs are certainly as horny as the current models, with just the angle leaving more to the imagination.

https://mana.fandom.com/wiki/Angela?file=Angela_Magus.png
https://mana.fandom.com/wiki/Riesz?file=Riesz_Fenrir_Knight.png

What are the sources of these? All I can tell is that they've been around for a few years, but not whether they're from way back in the 90s.

They are. They were official art made for the SNES version back in the day (the pictures on the status screen in the original game were based on them) and are also part of the Art of Mana artbook.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

So... about moves/spells:

Attack magic uses the MGC ATK stat to determine damage. MGC ATK is your Intellect stat + your equipment bonus. The stat that determines how much of that damage is mitigated is the MGC DEF stat.
Healing magic uses the Spirit stat to determine healing.
Traps/Projectiles use the Luck stat to determine damage. The stat that determines how much of that damage is mitigated is the DEF stat.

Pretty basic and stuff I've already said before, but here's where it gets interesting.

Normal buff and debuff spells interact solely with the ATK, DEF, MGC ATK, and MGC DEF stats. Your base stats is not affected. This means that any of the buff spells that Riesz can get will not boost any of Hawkeye's spells that depend on Luck, because Luck does not interact with ATK or MGC ATK stats, it only determines the power of traps/projectiles and how often you crit with your attacks.

Thus, using the spell or item that buffs your ATK will not increase the damage done by Hawkeye's Luck-based spells, but using the DEF debuff spell or item to decrease the enemy's damage on the other hand will increase the damage output of those spells. Thus, Rogue Hawkeye wants to pair up with Dark Riesz if you're looking to maximize the damage of his spells (Nightblade Hawkeye can use Thunder Technique instead, so long as the enemy is not immune to or absorbs wind). I'd wager that healing through magic is the same; the only thing that will affect the amount of healing that your spells and items that heal magically do will be any increases to the Spirit stat that you're able to get.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Folt The Bolt posted:

So... about moves/spells:

Attack magic uses the MGC ATK stat to determine damage. MGC ATK is your Intellect stat + your equipment bonus. The stat that determines how much of that damage is mitigated is the MGC DEF stat.
Healing magic uses the Spirit stat to determine healing.
Traps/Projectiles use the Luck stat to determine damage. The stat that determines how much of that damage is mitigated is the DEF stat.

Pretty basic and stuff I've already said before, but here's where it gets interesting.

Normal buff and debuff spells interact solely with the ATK, DEF, MGC ATK, and MGC DEF stats. Your base stats is not affected. This means that any of the buff spells that Riesz can get will not boost any of Hawkeye's spells that depend on Luck, because Luck does not interact with ATK or MGC ATK stats, it only determines the power of traps/projectiles and how often you crit with your attacks.

Thus, using the spell or item that buffs your ATK will not increase the damage done by Hawkeye's Luck-based spells, but using the DEF debuff spell or item to decrease the enemy's damage on the other hand will increase the damage output of those spells. Thus, Rogue Hawkeye wants to pair up with Dark Riesz if you're looking to maximize the damage of his spells (Nightblade Hawkeye can use Thunder Technique instead, so long as the enemy is not immune to or absorbs wind). I'd wager that healing through magic is the same; the only thing that will affect the amount of healing that your spells and items that heal magically do will be any increases to the Spirit stat that you're able to get.

Oh that’s interesting. There is no luck buffing spell at all? Hmm now I’m wondering if I should use Hawkeye with Duran and Angela on my run, I was planning to make them all light classes just for the hell of it.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Oh that’s interesting. There is no luck buffing spell at all? Hmm now I’m wondering if I should use Hawkeye with Duran and Angela on my run, I was planning to make them all light classes just for the hell of it.

There's only three proper buff spells and three proper debuff spells as well as the multi-target variations this time around, focused around ATK, DEF, and MGC ATK & DEF. (Of course, you also have Fetid Breath, Dark Curse, and the Diversions for debuff options).

That is, unless Pressure Point also boosts stats in this version.

For the record, since I'm going with the team I first went with in the OG version; Hawkeye, Riesz, and Charlotte, by making him a Rogue this time around while keeping the rest identical to that version, Hawkeye becomes essentially self-sufficient; the one thing he needs in order to dish out more damage, he gets from Necromancer Charlotte (Dark Curse), and he and Riesz can be on fighter duty if needed.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Aren't there still versions of the +/- DEX spells? The leaked datamine still shows "Accelerate", and presumably the description is "Boosts ally's evade and accuracy"

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I thought evade and accuracy weren’t a thing in this new version due to the combat system allowing you to dodge and stuff? Maybe Accelerate makes you move faster?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

Aren't there still versions of the +/- DEX spells? The leaked datamine still shows "Accelerate", and presumably the description is "Boosts ally's evade and accuracy"

I looked through it, and you're right. Accelerate and the descriptions for it does exist.

That said, Dexterity as a stat is basically not a thing anymore, and Star Lancer does not have Accelerate as a spell or buff in any form. It could mean it's scrapped, or Accelerate could have been moved to the 4th tier classes and will do something very different this time around (probably faster attacks and movement speed).

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

With just under 2 weeks left, I just want to give a shout-out to a game that I don't feel gets the recognition it deserves and potentially help someone looking to scratch that 90s-SNES-like ARPG itch right now. I may or may not have played it for a straight 12 hours this weekend...

I can't find a better way to describe Crosscode than a love letter to that era/genre that's also an innovative, well-crafted game on its own merits. This video explains it better than I can and with pretty visuals, so I'll just leave it at that.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/managame/status/1249850039758778368?s=21

50 digital copies to give away, four of which come with a free Switch or PS4. Hmmmmmm

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

there's also a separate entry that involves following the modders directly?

https://twitter.com/kfteausa/status/1249804568038342670

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

https://twitter.com/managame/status/1249850039758778368?s=21

50 digital copies to give away, four of which come with a free Switch or PS4. Hmmmmmm

I won't fin but I entered anyway.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

I won't fin but I entered anyway.
Same. I just want that Switch.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

...and now there's another, separate contest with origin (the pc builder, not ea) for a pc with the same decal as the PS4 one.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/managame/status/1250129584739115008?s=21

Looks better than the PS4 at least

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

https://www.vooks.net/qa-we-chat-to-masaru-oyamada-and-shinichi-tatsuke-on-all-things-trials-of-mana/

Among other things, Black Rabite is now confirmed to appear in every route.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Nice to see they want to do something about LoM. I could never find it anywhere in stores to actually play it, but it looked so gorgeous.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Just finished the demo, pretty fun but very easy. I picked Riesz and Kevin, but I dunno if I'll choose them for a full playthrough. I definitely will not be picking Charlotte though.

Camp lumina owns.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Honestly, I rarely ever picked Charlotte, but her over-the-top Elmer Fudd voice delivered with total commitment actually makes me want to more.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I like Angela and Duran's performances. They're putting in some work.

I wish they had found a better way to translate class change than just saying it directly. Using a game mechanic term in the actual game is always awkward.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

chumbler posted:

I like Angela and Duran's performances. They're putting in some work.

I'm playing Angela's start now and lol at her getting sacrificed by her mother, getting rescued by a child WITH AN IDENTICAL MODEL TO HERS, then sighing in sadness when the mum is overly nice to her kid.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Someone managed to get hold of the entire game.

Thanks to that, I was able to see Fenrir!Knight Riesz use the Hexas summon against a boss and it's mooks... though it seems that despite being a 560 power spell, you're better off using it against mooks instead of bosses since the boss didn't take much damage at all. And while some of that can be chalked up to the boss being 5 levels above Riesz, the guy was also playing on Easy mode. Her normal attacks worked much better.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Can't believe how much trouble I'm having deciding on who to play as my first main, let alone the whole party.

Currently decided on an all-girls group with Charlotte as my 3rd for the early acquisition. Then likely follow-up with an all-boys group.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Tyberius posted:

Can't believe how much trouble I'm having deciding on who to play as my first main, let alone the whole party.

Currently decided on an all-girls group with Charlotte as my 3rd for the early acquisition. Then likely follow-up with an all-boys group.

I think I’ve finally settled on Angela, Hawkeye, & Duran, chosen purely based on their voice acting and combat quips and whatnot. I don’t remember as much as I used to about the various classes but from what I remember it’d probably make sense to go dark with Angela & Hawkeye and light with Duran.

At some point this week I need to play through the demo one more time with that team so I can start right away with new territory on Thursday night!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Riesz main, Hawkeye second because of shared story line and they synergize well in general, Angela because she's the only other character who isn't cardboard or insufferable.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm going with Angela, Duran, Riesz for my play through. A bit light on healing is possibly a worry if later fights get harder or party AI is bad.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I think my first ever playthrough was Angela, Reisz, Kevin, and I think that's what I'm gonna do this time too.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Gonna stick with Riesz, Angela, and Hawkeye because.

Always go Riesz.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
Riesz, Duran, and Hawkeye were my preferred party in the original, and I'll be damned if I don't follow through with that in the remake.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Shoenin posted:

Gonna stick with Riesz, Angela, and Hawkeye because.

Always go Riesz.

I want to do this group but I'm slightly concerned that they'll lack healing and I'll find it annoying to rely on items.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Probably going for Hawkeye, Riesz and Carlie, even though Carlie is going to drive me nuts. In the original this had stat ups, stat downs, solid magic damage through necromancer, an on-demand screen wipe from wanderer and vanadys, great utility from wanderer and decent melee damage. I tried to build a team to maximize wanderer's strengths without Byzel items and in the original I think this is as well as you can do.

Kevin and Duran seem fun enough to play to be worth their own playthroughs as a main character, but I am a little tempted to bring Duran as support instead of Carlie, since provoke and enigma together should make it pretty easy to keep Hawkeye behind enemies so he can get crits. Duran brings nothing to support Hawkeye's magic, though, and either brings healing or melee support, but not both, while Carlie does everything.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Duran can heal, right?
If so, I'll go Hawkeye, Riesz, and Duran.
I feel bad for abandoning Kevin, but I want to do the characters in their proper pairs, and I don't want to listen to Charlotte on my first playthrough.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

Harrow posted:

I want to do this group but I'm slightly concerned that they'll lack healing and I'll find it annoying to rely on items.

I follow the motto of GO FOR BROKE

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm going with Riesz, Hawkeye, and Angela because that was my party the first time I played this game.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Beefstew posted:

Duran can heal, right?
If so, I'll go Hawkeye, Riesz, and Duran.
I feel bad for abandoning Kevin, but I want to do the characters in their proper pairs, and I don't want to listen to Charlotte on my first playthrough.

he can heal, but not until you promote him to a light side class, so it might take a while.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly it's probably not worth stressing out about healing in the early game. You get so many Chocolates and Candies that you can survive until Kevin (or whoever) gets their healing spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I solod full metal hugboi on hard with Angela without getting hit once. I know it's early but I'm not worried about a lack of healing.